• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fair point and I must admit it hadn't occurred to me but ultimately, if that's how he's approached the question, isn't it a bit of a copout? Whatever those players' teams might have won, doesn't he have the responsibility of looking honestly at what they bring to the table individually?

That’s true, it has to be about how they fit into the way he’s going to play. Unfortunately i think that still puts Trent towards the back of the queue

Trent has played 12 times for England over 3 yrs and 10 as starts. Not sure if he had in that time ever a fair crack at owning the position since 2018 WC.
In that time, Walker has looked shakey and made a few mistakes in big games so Southgate has reasonable chance to give him a go, he’s has been the best RB in the world for since then excluding expected blips this seasom.
Since then Reece has developed over the last 18 months but has also made mistakes and got himself sent off in an England game.
Southgate hasn’t really put his faith behind Trent as other international managers would have when they see a prodigy coming through but for the future, it’s no bad thing when a new England manager comes in as it’s an obvious focus for change.
LFC and England has always been volatile match, looking at Barnes, Fowler, Macca and Gerrard for various reasons.

Trent has played 12 times for England over 3 yrs and 10 as starts. Not sure if he had in that time ever a fair crack at owning the position since 2018 WC.
In that time, Walker has looked shakey and made a few mistakes in big games so Southgate has reasonable chance to give him a go, he’s has been the best RB in the world for since then excluding expected blips this seasom.
Since then Reece has developed over the last 18 months but has also made mistakes and got himself sent off in an England game.
Southgate hasn’t really put his faith behind Trent as other international managers would have when they see a prodigy coming through but for the future, it’s no bad thing when a new England manager comes in.

It's not faith. It's the fact Southgate is a shit manager, he knows nothing about giving tactical instructions to a player like Trent. He lacks the footballing intelligence for it. Rather than just admit he's a moron, doesn't understand football the way Klopp does, and therefore lacks the confidence in coaching a defender that knows how to play football, he's instead got his fake news buddies to pump out the false narrative that Trent is worse than the mediocre shit people think are his 'competition', or that he won the champions league and premier league whilst being unable to 'defend properly'. The manager is just a totally inept moron is what it is.

In fairness, I think most people seem to be lambasting Southgate for leaving him out.

Trent: 33 Assists, 46 big chances created, 9 goals in 129 appearances in the premier league

Walker: 30 Assists, 27 big chances created, 8 goals in 316 appearances in the premier league.

The stats of Trippier and Reece James are more Walker than Trent. Attacking wise Trent is a different level compared to other options. I can understand if Southgate prefers a defensive fullback over Trent. But not even have him as an option on the bench is mental. He is also very good at setpieces. Outside of Ward Prowse, there is no other player who is a threat on setpiece delivery. Unless Kane has decided that he is going to take all corners and setpieces. I am not sure if Kane's brain has processed that if he takes the corner, he cant score.

Southgate is just a shithouse. As others have said, he's not tactically astute enough to know how to use Trent, and so he's relying on the athleticism of Walker and James. Dunno how he can pick Trippier over Trent, though.

Feel sly on Trent on a personal level, but it's good for us. Hope England get tonked every game.

Southgate will be playing his 5 at the back with 2 defensive mids and hoping the attacking talent up top will sort them. Trent doesn't fit in with that.

It's not faith. It's the fact Southgate is a shit manager, he knows nothing about giving tactical instructions to a player like Trent. He lacks the footballing intelligence for it. Rather than just admit he's a moron, doesn't understand football the way Klopp does, and therefore lacks the confidence in coaching a defender that knows how to play football, he's instead got his fake news buddies to pump out the false narrative that Trent is worse than the mediocre shit people think are his 'competition', or that he won the champions league and premier league whilst being unable to 'defend properly'. The manager is just a totally inept moron is what it is.

If this is true, then it is even worse. Leak the news, gauge the public opinion, then make a decision.

If this is true, then it is even worse. Leak the news, gauge the public opinion, then make a decision.

I expect he's going to throw him under the bus when they get knocked out. Along the lines of see, see, told you so, told you I shouldn't have taken him, now we're out, not my fault, wah wah wah, all Trent's fault, blame him, wah wah wah.

I expect he's going to throw him under the bus when they get knocked out. Along the lines of see, see, told you so, told you I shouldn't have taken him, now we're out, not my fault, wah wah wah, all Trent's fault, blame him, wah wah wah.
And Trent's like... Eh, I didn't even get subbed in...

That won't work. His best bet is to play the race card. Maybe tattoo 'slave' onto his face and start calling himself 'the footballer formally known as Trent'. He'd be playing for Ireland inside a month.
He needs to amputate his right leg, below the knee, to get anywhere near the standards needed to play for Ireland

Seven who drop out: Greenwood, Ward-Prowse, Lingard, White, Godfrey, Ramsdale, Watkins.

Last edited:
Is it too early for this...

match-schedule-min-1.jpg

That's a fair point and I must admit it hadn't occurred to me but ultimately, if that's how he's approached the question, isn't it a bit of a copout? Whatever those players' teams might have won, doesn't he have the responsibility of looking honestly at what they bring to the table individually?
And none of them bring what Trent brings when it comes to attack and 50m passes. It tells you all you need to know about Southgate, he's got no balls. No chance of ever throwing caution to the wind when you are on your way out of the competition and desperately need a goal. Even from the bench.

EDIT : I should have read through the thread first shouldn't I.

Southgate is just a shithouse. As others have said, he's not tactically astute enough to know how to use Trent, and so he's relying on the athleticism of Walker and James. Dunno how he can pick Trippier over Trent, though.

Feel sly on Trent on a personal level, but it's good for us. Hope England get tonked every game.

Southgate will be playing his 5 at the back with 2 defensive mids and hoping the attacking talent up top will sort them. Trent doesn't fit in with that.
Exactly. Though I see it's now TAA +2 and those two should be James and Walker.

EDIT. I've done it again. He's got 4 of the buggers now. That's the way you cop out of a decision without seeming to cop out.

Last edited:
Always thought trippier was a liability. But it is southgate we are talking about here.
would have brought watkins ahead of sterling and ward prose instead of bellingham.

He's just afraid of leaving out players from the big four clubs, isn't he?

Lingard, JWP, Watkins, Godfrey, White

If any of those had been playing for Liverpool, City, Chelsea or Utd they would be in.

I think its a mistake to leave out Lingard. Also i dont get why so many of you are against Trippier, in the last tournament I thought he was excellent and one of Englands best players.

I dont like Southgate, think he is a coward tactician, but nothing wrong with having all of those right backs. They have all been excellent.

I have a strong feeling that Southgate is going to play Trent in midfield or as a wingback.
But I don't think he'll start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom