• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

DeAss

View: https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1768940521857134760

Luis Diaz should have been exhausted.

Liverpool and Manchester City had offered up a modern Premier League classic at Anfield, and Diaz had been a prominent presence — marauding up and down the home side’s left flank in an effort to unlock the champions’ defence.

There should have been nothing left in the tank as he picked up the ball in the 81st minute midway inside his own half. Few Liverpool fans would have blamed him had he taken the easy option of belting it away from danger.

But that is not the Luis Diaz way.

Instead, he gambled, risking a potential season-swaying turnover deep in Liverpool territory.

The Colombian carried the ball forward and… just kept going.

Rodri was the first to try to challenge him, with Kyle Walker not far behind.

He wriggled free of both, first from Walker…

… and then leaving Rodri — one of the world’s leading defensive midfielders, and who has not lost a game of club football for over a year — in a heap after being nutmegged and then attempting a last-ditch rugby tackle.

Diaz was left one-on-one with Walker, who was back for more. He squared him up and began to go inside, only to switch direction sharply and beat him down the outside.

The home crowd were with him every step of the way. They rose to their feet in waves, in rhythm with Diaz’s every twist and turn.

It was reminiscent of Andy Robertson relentlessly pressing half of the City team by himself during Liverpool’s 4-3 victory on the same pitch in January 2018. Both represented a moment of pure synergy between player and fans — the only difference was one had the ball and the other didn’t.

It was a symbol of what Diaz has been for Liverpool since the turn of the year. With injuries mounting and absences due to international cup competitions, the 27-year-old has been a near-constant and inexhaustible presence in attack.

Since the start of 2024, only captain Virgil van Dijk has played more minutes than Diaz for Liverpool in their 17 matches across four competitions — and the Dutch centre-back is not expected to do half as much running as him.

Diaz has started their nine Premier League games, the Europa League last-16 first leg against Sparta Prague and all three Carabao Cup matches, including playing the full 120 minutes in the final. His only rest has come in the FA Cup, as a late substitute against Norwich City and an unused one in the next round against Southampton, and for the second leg of the Sparta tie at Anfield on Thursday, where he again stayed on the bench with the contest effectively over already after Liverpool had won 5-1 away.

Against Chelsea at Wembley last month, Diaz played the 30 minutes of extra time running on empty and seemingly only on one functioning leg. Yet, time and again he summoned up a burst of energy to carry his team forward. It is an innate trait that he has: he never stops.

It was the same against City last weekend, during which his performance prompted Gary Neville, the Sky Sports TV co-commentator, to liken him to “a Duracell Bunny” — in reference to the advert where an animated rabbit character powered by the company’s batteries outlasts all the others supplied by those from other manufacturers.

His touch map for that match underlined his willingness to drop into defensive areas (he had 16 touches in his own half) while not losing his attacking intent.

Deep into added time, Diaz was still leading the press…

… and wriggling out of seemingly impossible situations to try to create one last chance.

Here, with three City players surrounding him, Diaz escapes, evades Bernardo Silva’s lunge and finds Mohamed Salah on the edge of the box.

With Salah, Diogo Jota and Darwin Nunez missing chunks of action this season, the attacking responsibility has largely fallen to Diaz and Cody Gakpo. But while Gakpo has struggled for rhythm and form, Diaz has led from the front and staked his claim for being — on current form, at least — Liverpool’s most important forward.

Diaz’s campaign has not been straightforward — hardly surprisingly, given the emotional toll taken by his father’s kidnapping in Colombia in October. Yet the concern was magnified because his game felt very different to what had made him so impactful for Liverpool since his arrival from Porto in January 2022.

He appeared a yard slower — which could have been related to his two successive knee injuries last season — and often too predictable, repeatedly cutting inside. The dazzling feet, explosive burst and unpredictability were absent.

Those doubts have been quashed, with Jurgen Klopp seeing tell-tale signs of his rejuvenation back in January.

“You can see it in each training session — it’s different,” said the Liverpool manager. “I said when he came in that I never really saw something like that: he cannot not smile when he is on the ball. It was like that in the beginning, but there were a few weeks where I missed that a little bit. But the smile is back, and that’s really good.”

The only questions remain around his lack of a clinical touch. In a five-minute spell around the hour mark last Sunday, three opportunities fell to him and were not taken.

On the first, Diaz was let down by a poor touch after driving forward and linking with Nunez…

The second — and best of the three chances — saw him shoot off target when one-on-one with goalkeeper Stefan Ortega after being played in by Salah.

With that miss probably still on his mind, he then hesitated when played in again by Nunez, allowing Walker to recover…

He had a similar period in the 4-1 home win against Luton Town last month, wasting two big chances early in the game before Liverpool went behind, before recovering to score Liverpool’s third in the second half.

Both games brought comparisons with Sadio Mane, the player Diaz has replaced in Liverpool’s left-forward role.

Diaz has scored 22 goals in his 85 Liverpool appearances, a modest return for somebody with such talent. Mane had 40 in his first 86 games for the club. And the Senegal international was not a composed, clinical finisher when he arrived from Southampton in summer 2016, though he developed into one.

But they are fundamentally different players. Diaz’s play style can often see him operate as a wide midfielder rather than a wide forward, and serve as a facilitator rather than a finisher.

The fact his performance against City last Sunday was not defined by those misses — even if they may come back to haunt Liverpool’s title hopes — highlights the wider role he is playing for the team and the appreciation their supporters have for him.

Having turned 27 in January, Diaz is in his prime and still appears as fresh as he was at the start of the season.

Another non-productive day in another big game by Luis "duracell bunny" Diaz. We are running out of big games for Diaz to do something that registers on the assists / goals sheets.

Diaz is potentially a perfect (albeit reductionist and it makes me sad) player to reflect klopps tenure. All graft, incredible to watch, but ultimately not enough end product to go down as a great.

We've scored 120 goals in all competitions this season so far - the highest in any of the Top 5 leagues in Europe and it's not even close. Diaz is part of the reason for that, not a reason why we haven't scored more. On a personal level he could be more clinical but no team in the world has a team full of clinical strikers. He's a winger not a striker like Mo, Nunez or Jota.

City 110 goals in all comps.
Arsenal 90 goals
Spurs 61 goals
Villa 67 goals
Chelsea 73 goals
Real Madrid 96 goals
Bayer Leverkusen 109 goals
Bayern Munich 98 goals
PSG 96 goals
Inter Milan 86 goals

Stats courtesy of WhoScored.

Another non-productive day in another big game by Luis "duracell bunny" Diaz. We are running out of big games for Diaz to do something that registers on the assists / goals sheets.
He really should have got an assist as he made the chance for Robbo where it was harder to miss the goal than put it on target.

He didn't have a good game yesterday but none of our players did

Diaz is potentially a perfect (albeit reductionist and it makes me sad) player to reflect klopps tenure. All graft, incredible to watch, but ultimately not enough end product to go down as a great.
I would say Nunez is potentially the perfect player for that

Not his best game but generally our left hand side wasn't the problem yesterday. Set up a glaring chance for Robbo who blazed over and then set up the Nunez chance (which Mo ended up converting the rebound from anyway).

His work rate is phenomenal and when we have more attacking options this is ideal for either running a team ragged for 60 mins before we deploy another attacker, or for coming on to really change a game.

His finishing has been poor, but his threat and attitude to chase down every ball has been superb.

I would say Nunez is potentially the perfect player for that
Nah, not for me. Nunez has at the very least been consistent when it comes to creating chances or taking chances (this season in particular).

Honestly - what is the point of this guy? - you all talk about his work rate and the issues he creates - but his final-third decision making is now costing us points and wins. Everyone is blaming Gakpo - and I ain't Gak's biggest fan - but lets be real, he gets played in multi-positions from one game to the next - but last season he showed he was OK, on the left. But lets be real - he is very young, but Diaz - is a 27/28 year old full international that's getting most of his final third decisions wrong - I don't think he is going to improve.

Honestly - what is the point of this guy? - you all talk about his work rate and the issues he creates - but his final-third decision making is now costing us points and wins. Everyone is blaming Gakpo - and I ain't Gak's biggest fan - but lets be real, he gets played in multi-positions from one game to the next - but last season he showed he was OK, on the left. But lets be real - he is very young, but Diaz - is a 27/28 year old full international that's getting most of his final third decisions wrong - I don't think he is going to improve.
Gakpo gets the stick because he sucks in every department, loses the ball for fun which is the most frustrating (Diaz at least keeps hold of it really well). He's going to be 25 before the season is over and he too is a full international. That isn't "very young" at all.

Nah, not for me. Nunez has at the very least been consistent when it comes to creating chances or taking chances (this season in particular).
He's improved no doubt but still misses too many chances like that sitter against City for example. Diaz's miss took the spotlight away from that.

We've not won the trophies that we've deserved under Klopp but we've been very consistent in winning football matches under him. Only Guardiola and Ferguson has a better win percentage in the PL era

Are you seriously suggesting Klopp won’t go down as a great?

Are you seriously suggesting Klopp won’t go down as a great?
I know. Unbelievable how pathetic some people are. Who needs Raz in a thread when you have idiots like this. I love checking this site after we lose. It makes me feel less pain as I realize that there are Liverpool fans who deserve any pain they get.

For us, yes, absolutely

Every chance other people in the league or the media don't see it

People don't remember second
Don't see it? Have you not been watching the TV of late? Pretty much EVERYONE has acknowledged him as a managerial great.

Memories fade over time and achievements are what get looked back upon. He'll go down as a great, sure, but I wonder whether he'll be cast as the yin to Guardiola's yang... Liverpool used to frame and provide context to City's greatness and achievements.

A title this year would help.

Don't see it? Have you not been watching the TV of late? Pretty much EVERYONE has acknowledged him as a managerial great.
Plaudits for the man on his way out. What they gonna do? Call him shite?

He's easily top 5 managers the premier league has seen. But the gulf between 1st and 5th is massive

For us, yes, absolutely

Every chance other people in the league or the media don't see it

People don't remember second

Nah mate, you’re off the scale wrong on this one.

The points totals where he finished 2nd will remain some of the highest ever - he’ll still be known as the only manager to put up some sort of consistent challenge to the City juggernaut.

Anyway… I would give a fuck what any other prick fans think - there’s isn’t a club out there, except Mancheatster Shitty that wouldn’t take him in a heartbeat as manager.

Back
Top Bottom