• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What the fuck. I mean really WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be daft man. 6 years ago we played the CL final. Last year we played in two finals at Wembley. Dont get me started on what we have achieved the last 20 years.

This season we struggled our way passed Mansfield in the FA Cup before Oldham got to strong, Swansea easily parked us in the League cup and we hardly progressed in the Euro league from a group that doesnt scare anyone no matter how hard we try to talk up Young Boys. Add the fact that we are behind WBA and Swansea in the league as we move into the last quarter of it.

I hear you complaining about the last 20 years man, and still defend this season as progress.

So when I said "in the league" after every instance of lack of success, you ignored it?

Cup competitions are a mix of tactics, luck, and desire. This season we've been found lacking and I agree that we've been shocking in the cups.

However, in the league we've played very well and dropped stupid points due to costly errors, either by the playing staff of the officials. If we iron out those errors and improve on the current squad, I think rodgers could get us to do well.

Yes. Of course, Clarke was senior to Rodgers at Chelski, so I guess that would have been a bit of a problem, but it would have been a good combination.

I think Rodgers would have been far better off with someone senior around him that could challenge his thinking and see weaknesses in his tactics. In a successful partnership (and lets say that Rodgers/Pascoe felt some part of success last season) you easily fall into a comfortzone where the established is the norm, and there is no room for other ideas. I have no overview, but I think Fergie has often changed his assistant, while Arsene has stuck with his?

Every manager likes to surround themselves with "trusted lieutenants" - so what's the issue with Pascoe.

I'm not sure that Clark's removal was all to do with Rodgers - that's a tricky one, given their history.

I also don't necessarily follow this view that hiring managers that have won stuff is necessarily the best way - it's all a little bit more complex - plenty of similar good managers have made a pigs arse out of jobs in the premier League - was it Pelligrini that someone on here proclaimed "shites trophies" only to be proven half right.

You got to look at the men who were in the mix for the job - minor if this "we should hire Mourinho" nonsense that gets spouted from time to time.

Rodgers has clearly done something right to get where he is at a very young age - there must be some substance to back it up - maybe it has come too soon - but we've tried just about every other style and combination of manager and its gotten us nowhere - so maybe we should just hold fire for a few more weeks before we start erecting stakes & building bonfires.

Which Arsenal would you be thinking about?

The Invincibles, run by Vieira (the apparently "un-necessary in today's game" commanding midfield presence), Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, Ashley Cole, the commanding Sol Campbell etc?

Or the later versions where Arsene got too introspective and obsessed with his own 'total football' and has won nothing at all for 7 years and counting?

Well, not that I agree with it, but the talk of bringing 'men' in suggests the former.

Which Arsenal would you be thinking about?

The Invincibles, run by Vieira (the apparently "un-necessary in today's game" commanding midfield presence), Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, Ashley Cole, the commanding Sol Campbell etc?

Or the later versions where Arsene got too introspective and obsessed with his own 'total football' and has won nothing at all for 7 years and counting?

You can hardly say it's hasn't worked though. They might have had a backbone then, but it's a philosophy that's worked well for them, not without it's flaws but it's been effective. You're being a bit presumptuous about it anyway, who's to say he doesn't want us to have a strong backbone to compliment the attractive football? It'll take time to implement but it's the next stage of development for us and what I guess will ultimately decide which way this will go.

I think Rodgers would have been far better off with someone senior around him that could challenge his thinking and see weaknesses in his tactics. In a successful partnership (and lets say that Rodgers/Pascoe felt some part of success last season) you easily fall into a comfortzone where the established is the norm, and there is no room for other ideas. I have no overview, but I think Fergie has often changed his assistant, while Arsene has stuck with his?

Yes, I've argued that often. Sometimes managers are compromised when their trusted lieutenant leaves - Ged, Rafa - but sometimes it can improve them - Rodgers, I hope. It was good that Ged and Rafa had trusted assistants who weren't afraid to challenge them. Pascoe might be a tactical genius for all I know but from a distance he looks like a cone-carrying cock.

Yes, I've argued that often. Sometimes managers are compromised when their trusted lieutenant leaves - Ged, Rafa - but sometimes it can improve them - Rodgers, I hope. It was good that Ged and Rafa had trusted assistants who weren't afraid to challenge them. Pascoe might be a tactical genius for all I know but from a distance he looks like a cone-carrying cock.

He reminds me of Warnock 🙁

Haha. Fantastc expression!!!

You can hardly say it's hasn't worked though. They might have had a backbone then, but it's a philosophy that's worked well for them, not without it's flaws but it's been effective. You're being a bit presumptuous about it anyway, who's to say he doesn't want us to have a strong backbone to compliment the attractive football? It'll take time to implement but it's the next stage of development for us and what I guess will ultimately decide which way this will go.

I was differentiating between two Arsenal team types; the beautiful game with added steel and ugliness, and the beautiful game played for beauties sake (which hasn't worked), asking which Arsenal Macca was suggesting might be the Rodgers' model. I therefore can't see why you think I've been presumptuous because I didn't make any statement about what I think Rodgers is trying to do, I just asked other people what they thought.

I was differentiating between two Arsenal team types; the beautiful game with added steel and ugliness, and the beautiful game played for beauties sake (which hasn't worked), asking which Arsenal Macca was suggesting might be the Rodgers' model. I therefore can't see why you think I've been presumptuous because I didn't make any statement about what I think Rodgers is trying to do, I just asked other people what they thought.

You asked about how many other teams it's worked for, you seemed to be judging this philosophy on what we're seeing now, which I'm hoping is someway from what he's ultimately trying to achieve, and hopefully that involves adding that much needed steel we're lacking.

You asked about how many other teams it's worked for, you seemed to be judging this philosophy on what we're seeing now, which I'm hoping is someway from what he's ultimately trying to achieve, and hopefully that involves adding that much needed steel we're lacking.

I asked "what's his philosophy?" and "who has it worked for?". The second question is only answered by extension from the first; those people who know and can explain what he's trying to do would, hopefully, be able to point to other teams that have used it successfully.

I can't and don't even try to judge his philosophy because I haven't a clue what he's trying to create, other than a team who pass it around a lot (or try to) and are under instruction to win the ball back within 7 seconds (or something).

Clarke was appointed WBA manager 2 days or something after he left us, he also handed in his resignation when Kenny left.

I'd love to have had him on as he's a great coach, but I think Clarke leaving would happen regardless.
It shouldnt be a stick to beat Rodgers with.

Clarke was appointed WBA manager 2 days or something after he left us, he also handed in his resignation when Kenny left.

I'd love to have had him on as he's a great coach, but I think Clarke leaving would happen regardless.
It shouldnt be a stick to beat Rodgers with.

There's no need for such a stick. I've been whittling one for ages.

I read in the mirror today that Rodgers felt his squad was thin because we were challenging on four fronts this season...

Rafa allways seemed to be a slow starter. Rotated and wasted points early on, but we seemed to have the steam through xmas and forward. This took us to semis and finals in europe as well as domestic cups. But it seldom took us all the way in the league. The cup thriumps and CL qualification bought him time. Out of all cups before they start, and fighting for top ten would have sent him right back to Spain i believe. Rafa came here as he had just lifted the UEFA cup and showed strengths in La Liga. I ask again, what has Rodgers actually done to be in this position in the first place? It is fucking insane. What has he to show for that should buy him time?
We were in a much worse position when Rodgers took over than we were when Rafa took over. For that alone he should be afforded at least 2 seasons to show what he can do.

Really? Ged's last season was shocking. There weren't close games when we created loads but couldn't score - there was NOTHING. And there were no cups, no challenges, no bright spots whatsoever. it was a weep-tastic nightmare. That's a PRAVDA-style rewriting of history.

Really? Ged's last season was shocking. There weren't close games when we created loads but couldn't score - there was NOTHING. And there were no cups, no challenges, no bright spots whatsoever. it was a weep-tastic nightmare. That's a PRAVDA-style rewriting of history.
Was that the same season we finished in the CL spots ya?

It was a season when I almost gave up the will to live watching how inept we were. It was agony. i can't believe you're trying to make it out to be evidence of a better state than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom