• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

We are obviously in for a tough season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is wrong, but i'm more concerned with whats going on with regards to the sale of our club than i am with our matches so far this season. Purslow and Broughton have got such crucial jobs on their hands, the outcome of which will dictate our clubs future for many a year.

I don't understand all of these "we're going to be shite for years to come" type of comments personally. When we finally get a change of ownership our fortunes could dramatically change over night.

It's fair to say that our lads are going to have a tough time of it on the pitch, yet with a bit of luck we could still make a fight of it for the race to 4th.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=42025.msg1181446#msg1181446 date=1285319026]
I know this is wrong, but i'm more concerned with whats going on with regards to the sale of our club than i am with our matches so far this season. Purslow and Broughton have got such crucial jobs on their hands, the outcome of which will dictate our future for years to come.

I don't understand all of these "we're going to be shite for years to come" type of comments personally. When we finally get a change of ownership our fortunes could dramatically change over night.

It's fair to say that our lads are going to have a tough time of it on the pitch, yet with a bit of luck we could still make a fight of it for the race to 4th.
[/quote]

You are wrong. This is not wrong. It is absolutely right. The Hicks and Gilette stuff must be over soon.. And we might be back on track within a month or we might face mor frustration and digging the grave even deeper. Very crucial comment.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=42025.msg1181446#msg1181446 date=1285319026]
I know this is wrong, but i'm more concerned with whats going on with regards to the sale of our club than i am with our matches so far this season. Purslow and Broughton have got such crucial jobs on their hands, the outcome of which will dictate our clubs future for many a year.

[/quote]

I think this is part of the problem though.

For too long we have been concentrated on the club's finances and it has masked our decline on the field. It's now an official excuse. Regardless of finances we have a better squad than 16th and to be knocked out of a cup by a 4th Division team.

It has taken defeat to a lowly team to bring it back into view.

We must get it right on the pitch or the air of negativity will stymie any potential investor.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=42025.msg1181427#msg1181427 date=1285317728]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42025.msg1181418#msg1181418 date=1285317070]

Mediocrity here we come.
[/quote]

Here we come ? We've been there for 3 years ! I pray to God that Hicks and Gillet fuck off soon lest we slip any further.
[/quote]

We haven't been mediocre for three years Sunny, we have been slowly working our way towards it during that time and there has been no let up recently.

Rafa4pm - what do you think can change overnight that will have a massive impact?

Are carragher, Gerrard, Torres etc just going to turn back the clock and start playing the way they did a few years ago? Is Lucas going to be a world beater?

My point being we're still going to have exactly the same squad with exactly the same problems.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42025.msg1181457#msg1181457 date=1285320058]
Rafa4pm - what do you think can change overnight that will have a massive impact?

Are carragher, Gerrard, Torres etc just going to turn back the clock and start playing the way they did a few years ago? Is Lucas going to be a world beater?

My point being we're still going to have exactly the same squad with exactly the same problems.
[/quote]

I thought is was employing a Manager who would make sensible decisions, play players in their best positions, motivate and encourage them by not being distant; and saying the right things both to the players and to the Press to restore the clubs reputation.

Turns out it's not as straightforward as employing a common sense British Manager.

I don't think Hodgson has said or done anything wrong since he arrived. He has made some quite decent signings to try to paper over the cracks in our squad.

It's just too easy to vent your dissatisfaction on the manager.

[/quote]

My point is that until we know the identity/intentions of our new owners Rosco, we really aren't in any position to be making predictions about how we'll fare in seasons to come.

Our new owners will dictate how quickly we can address the current issue's that our squad has at present. So we'll have to wait and see who they are and what they are prepared to do, before we jump to conclusions about our long term prospects.

[quote author=crump link=topic=42025.msg1181464#msg1181464 date=1285321322]
He just said we're on for a top 4 finish in the press conference.

Yay! Just like Rafa!
[/quote]

Please tell me he didn't make any promises?

Yay! Just like Rafa!
[/quote]

When asked the question in a press conference, he can hardly say anything else. It wouldn't go down too well if he said he was expecting us to finish mid-table.

Yay! Just like Rafa!
[/quote]

And how the hell will we reach top four when he expects us to not win a lot of games we are expected to win. The games we have not won so far we didnt even expect to win!

Yep, good read this:

Few football clubs on earth have less incentive to trawl back through their recent history than Liverpool, but if the task is bleak, it is also necessary.

It might just mean the Herculean job facing new manager Roy Hodgson is saved from near instant 'death by ridicule' over the failure to kill off Northampton this week before a progressively numb and dwindling Anfield crowd.

There always had to be that doubt expressed by Kenny Dalglish on whether the new man was the right choice to guide the stricken giant through a crisis that is becoming increasingly, and nightmarishly, surreal.

His achievements at Fulham, where demands were so much less oppressive than the ones he faces now, spoke more than anything of a calm, knowing veteran who could fiddle his way to a certain level of glory.

It didn't announce a miracle worker at the highest level of the game, which is pretty much the job requirement rallying Liverpool has so transparently become.

Certainly, it is a challenge of an entirely different order from the one Hodgson met so successfully at Craven Cottage and perhaps the clearest indicator of this came with the insipid performance at Old Trafford last Sunday. That spoke of the lowered morale that has accumulated down the years and it might have been more cruelly exposed but for another defensive breakdown by United.

This week, though, we have had a more definitive statement of Liverpool's plight. It is of a club revealing growing evidence that it has become little short of dysfunctional, both on and off the field. Yet, if defeat by Northampton, from the bottom tier of the Football League, was still another assault on the spirit of the Liverpool faithful, it did bring one benefit to the embattled Hodgson.

It defined the root of his immediate problem. He simply doesn't have a quorum of adequate players.

This was the charge levelled, eventually, at both his predecessors, Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez, but the difference in Hodgson's situation is that they had years to select the performers they deemed up to the job of maintaining and developing Liverpool's place in the game.

One brutal fact screamed out of the latest Anfield debacle. When Hodgson came to pick his starting team, he turned to seven of Benitez's hand-picked signings, including five -- Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Daniel Agger, Lucas, Ryan Babel and David Ngog -- who cost a combined total of £27m.

Hodgson also fielded Daniel Pacheco, a star of Spain's triumph in the recent U-19 European Championships and had the pick of one of English football's most expensive academy production lines, but if the manager's brief reign is already under the most piercing scrutiny, he cannot be denied his claim that the team he sent out should have been far too good for opponents from Division Two.

Sickeningly, it wasn't, no more than the one that contained Pepe Reina, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Jamie Carragher was able to make much of a case that it belonged on the same field as United a few days previous.

There is not much new to say about the disaster-slick represented by the club's American ownership. It wouldn't have happened if the Liverpool board, and especially the then chairman David Moores, had been properly alert to the dangers implicit in a deal so heavily based on speculative borrowing, or if the Premier League had vetting procedures in keeping with a multi-billion pound industry.

The rest is a tragic story of an attempt to get out from under a set of circumstances that become more worrying with every frantic move by the owners -- and each new indication that one of the most fabled clubs in football has about as much auction room appeal to serious bidders as a piece of Victorian bric-a-brac.

What is beyond dispute now is that Hodgson has been bequeathed the results of a Benitez regime that became increasingly exposed for its failure to galvanise a first team of some individual brilliance but an unshakeable core of mediocrity.

From his fortress of escape at San Siro, Benitez wages tit-for-tat warfare with his old employers, including the claim that it was an impossible burden to work with people who didn't know anything about football.

He would be better advised to keep his head down while attempting to fill the shoes of Jose Mourinho, who has always managed to banish any drift in morale and squad strength -- something Benitez presided over in the years that followed his initial successes in the Champions League and the FA Cup.

The rating of the first triumph in Istanbul in 2005 will always be subject to debate. For Liverpool loyalists, it was an achievement of brilliance to be ranked with the earlier successes of Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan.

For others, it was a freakish success partly fuelled by Milan's extraordinary collapse after half-time -- during which they were heard to be celebrating their 3-0 lead -- and Benitez's good fortune that he had time to replace Harry Kewell and think again about the equally strange absence of organiser Didi Hamann.

HISTORY

This is history, but the problem is it seems almost inconceivable that it was made a mere five years ago. Benitez constantly pleaded poverty in the transfer market, while regularly throwing away millions on players short of requirements, and now Hodgson has to deal with the consequences.

Defeat by Northampton in the Carling Cup is one of them, adding a little more to the humiliation that came against Reading in last year's FA Cup. Another is the sense that Liverpool, finally, have been cut adrift from the serious end of the Premier League.

What can Hodgson do? He can say sorry, which he did copiously yesterday, he can play for a little time and hope that over the next few weeks he receives at least a fraction of the blind faith offered to his predecessor. 'In Rafa We Place Our Trust', shouted the banners long after it was clear to the rest of the football planet that among Liverpool's problems was a collapse in leadership -- and even basic judgment.

Benitez bemoaned his lack of transfer funds, even after splashing out £19m on the football invalid Alberto Acquilani and stockpiling the biggest squad (65) in the European game.

But then, perhaps Benitez knew he wouldn't be around to bear the cost. Judge a manager by what he leaves behind is one of football's oldest commandments. However he fares, Hodgson may find it hard to avoid offering a withering verdict

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=42025.msg1181356#msg1181356 date=1285312379]
"There are going to be lots of other games this season where people will be expecting us to win and we don't"

-Roy Hodgson
[/quote]I dont think so Roy. Given that after just 11 games in charge most of us dont expect to win even home games against lower league oppo.

[/quote]

it's the same squad but you can do things to maximise the squad.

for instance, if you played kelly at right back and johnson at right midfield you will get the two fold effect of strengthening the defense and having a player on the flank with the ability to go past players.

this would in turn push kuyt further up the pitch to drag defenders away from torres.

this would in turn push cole over to left midfield.

people make out that we have a rubbish squad, we don't have a rubbish squad we are simply using rubbish tactics and not getting the most out of what we have.

----------------------pepe-------------------------
kelly-------carra--------------agger----konshesky
johnson----gerrard----meireles---------cole
----------------kuyt-----torres-----------------

especially you are putting all of liverpool's best players all on the pitch at the same time that players to all of their strengths and is still balanced.

We have to scrape the notion that Joe Cole is a number 10.

He isn't. Stick him on the left and make him put up with it.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=42025.msg1181592#msg1181592 date=1285333754]
We have to scrape the notion that Joe Cole is a number 10.

He isn't. Stick him on the left and make him put up with it.
[/quote]

have to agree.

I'm deeply concerned about the manager if he has no confidence and fight, and is lying down this way by making these kind of comments. Come out fighting, make bold statements, set out your stall. Don't say "We're going to lose more games"...

This just begets negativity. I've worked in companies with managers like this, and played on teams like this.

If he keeps talking like this, the team will match his aspirations and he'll be gone, before you can say "Thanks for the steady hand now..."

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181385#msg1181385 date=1285314944]

Ave, I think you'll find I was the first to say fuck Hodgson as manager for Lfc.

[/quote]

No you weren't.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181394#msg1181394 date=1285315703]
By what parameter are we considered a top team?

Our empty trophy cabinet?
Our fantastic 7th position last season?
Our CL status?
Our finances?
Our world class manager?

It's time Liverpool fans woke up and stopped living in the past. We havent won the league for 20 years yet still jizz at the thought of Dalglish and Rush banging them in like it's still 1986.

[/quote]

A treble in 2001. Two runners-up finishes. Top 4 most season. TWo CL finals and one CL win.

That's a top team, you fucking dope.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=42025.msg1181623#msg1181623 date=1285339421]
[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181394#msg1181394 date=1285315703]
By what parameter are we considered a top team?

Our empty trophy cabinet?
Our fantastic 7th position last season?
Our CL status?
Our finances?
Our world class manager?

It's time Liverpool fans woke up and stopped living in the past. We havent won the league for 20 years yet still jizz at the thought of Dalglish and Rush banging them in like it's still 1986.

[/quote]

A treble in 2001. Two runners-up finishes. Top 4 most season. TWo CL finals and one CL win.

That's a top team, you fucking dope.
[/quote]

liverpool on the pitch could be considered a top team as little as 2 years ago, off the pitch liverpool are still a top team.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=42025.msg1181638#msg1181638 date=1285342292]
Let's stay off the pitch, then! ;D
[/quote]

If you stay off the pitch right now, marauding gangs of accountants, bankers and lawyers will take turns viciously gang raping you.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=42025.msg1181622#msg1181622 date=1285339338]
[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181385#msg1181385 date=1285314944]

Ave, I think you'll find I was the first to say fuck Hodgson as manager for Lfc.

[/quote]

No you weren't.
[/quote]

Oh dear Brenda.

Just like I called Lucas shite years back - why don't you trawl back through the threads.

It's obvious you have a lot of time on your hands you half-wit mega cret.

Oh dear Brenda.

Just like I called Lucas shite years back - why don't you trawl back through the threads.

Christ, you are truly dismal.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=42025.msg1181647#msg1181647 date=1285344206]
Oh dear Brenda.

Christ, you are truly dismal.
[/quote]

Coming from king size whopper himself.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42025.msg1181653#msg1181653 date=1285344967]
Ha, it doesn't matter who uses it and when, 'whopper' always gets a chuckle from me.
[/quote]

What if the context was a doctor saying "that oozing pustule on the tip of your penis is a whopper"? This would simultaneously give you doubt as to his intelligence as well as put your horrible condition in very frank terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom