• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

We are obviously in for a tough season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insignificance

Bad to the bone
"There are going to be lots of other games this season where people will be expecting us to win and we don't"

-Roy Hodgson

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=42025.msg1181356#msg1181356 date=1285312379]
"There are going to be lots of other games this season where people will be expecting us to win and we don't"

-Roy Hodgson
[/quote]

'Same as it ever was, same as it ever was'

-David Byrne

I wish he'd just do his job.

The expectations on him were low, to try to get the best out of weak players with little money.

Something he's done before (which is why he's here)

(Something all his detractors keep forgetting; other managers would be having daily press conferences if they were thrust into that mess)

This kindof talk isnt helping; I think he's boug reasonably well so he should make the best use of that as one can.

I'm not normally one for wanting a manage out this quickly but Roy is testing my patience. He needs to get things under control quickly.

How can any Manager say that?

He knows he is shit and is just saying so all the time so he doesn't get the blame when things go tits up.

Managers are supposed to build teams up, not undermine there confidence.

His next 5 games will prove what he's capable of. If we come out of them with 12-15 points, there will be a lot of posters with egg on their face.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181368#msg1181368 date=1285313580]
His next 5 games will prove what he's capable of. If we come out of them with 12-15 points, there will be a lot of posters with egg on their face.
[/quote]

You do know Evertons first win of the Seasons, is on the cards to be against us, don't you?

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=42025.msg1181370#msg1181370 date=1285313673]
[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181368#msg1181368 date=1285313580]
[/quote]

You do know Evertons first win of the Seasons, is on the cards to be against us, don't you?
[/quote]

So we should start praying that they gain a win before they meet us now?? 🙂

Yes, and I dont see why he's in such a bother about it.

No one expects anything fantastic; just try to solve the problems, buy as well as you can and then play your best team.

I think he's done the frst two reasonably well.

We needed a decent LB; Konchesky isnt great but he's better than anything we have (not including Mr Glass of course).

We needed a DM after Mascher fucked us over; I dont like Poulsen but at 4 million we cant really complain.

Quite pleased with Cole and Meireles, though he should have kept Aqua and fucked off Lucas.

He's been forced to promote more kids, which i think s a good thing for us (before anyone says yes i know that many were Rafa's kids and that he'd have probably have done the same promotion exercise)

(I'd often said before hat I think Rafa's greatest legacy to us was the revamping of the youth system)

I was pleased.

Then we start the season and he doesnt know what to do.

This is just crazy.

I sil think he can fix things but he's running out of time.

Playing

Scum
Arse
City who just spent 150m quid

In your first few games is hardly the best way to judge any manager's credentials.

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=42025.msg1181356#msg1181356 date=1285312379]

-Roy Hodgson
[/quote]

FFS, this kind of talk has to stop. With all due respect, this is not a mid table club. We've wallowed in self pity for too long, pointing fingers at other things outside of our control (the owners etc) as the reason behind our fall. Enough of excuses. We have the players and staff (one pending further evaluation) to be top four. And that should be our aspiration, minimally.You aim for the highest because any lower you always run the risk of making an error in calculation and you fall short. Just like Rafa last season.

If Roy doesn't stop with this drivel, he will quickly lose support from the section of us that still stand by him.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181373#msg1181373 date=1285313864]
Playing

Scum
Arse
City who just spent 150m quid

In your first few games is hardly the best way to judge any manager's credentials.
[/quote]

you also judge the manager on performances.

It's not about the competition alone,Terrier.

I don't really buy into the 'defensive' label, either.

But he has been quite clueless in tactics and most importantly, substitutions.

All is not lost; he is a new manager and he doesnt know all players yet.

So compounding things by being so defeatist about it certainly doesnt help.

The trouble with you is that you hate Rafa so much that you dont really care who manages us as long as it isnt him.

I wanted Rafa out too, I thought he'd lost the plot.

I certainly want Roy to do well, but some of his tactics and substitutions are almost Rafa-esque, and denying that is ridiculous.

Furthermore, to be defeatist is as dangerous as 'guaranteeing' a 4th place.

I cant believe those words are from the mouth of a Liverpool manager. It's highly depressing. I'm starting to understand why he couldn't motivate fringe players, who should have been gagging for a chance, to beat the mighty Northampton town.

If the full interview were read, I'm sure the context wouldnt be as bad.

But the point is that these things keep getting reported.

They undermine the players, and they even demotivate the fans.

How many would want to trudge up to St James Park on 11th December if Roy is still shruggin his shoulders about losing games?

He should just stop talking about it.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=42025.msg1181369#msg1181369 date=1285313636]
when you see the media heading towards you, roy, RUN! RUN LIKE WIND!!
[/quote]

Or he can actually appreciate what club he is in now and start making statements that build up the team. Everyone accepts that Rafa had a "poor inherited squad" his first season. He took it still to the CL final. He was aware of what club he was managing and did his very best to live up to those expectations. To me it looks like Roy does his very best to devaluate what this club is about. And that is very dangerous in the long run. it near impossible to build up a reputation again. It might be that we are in a dip of form/finances/quality of squad. But we are still Liverpool, and the aim must be to win the fucking league. We must try to win every game with what we have got and fail, and not throw in the towel up front.

Ave, I think you'll find I was the first to say fuck Hodgson as manager for Lfc.

I posted a complete summary of his managerial stats, which were pretty shit, aswell as pointed out his appalling away record with Fulham.

I most certainly did not want him.

However, now that he's with us, the least the fans can do is give him a reasonable shot at tuning it around. Again, playing 3 of the top sides in the first month is hardly the best way to analyze his tenure.

And don't mention the c team he fielded against Northampton either pls.

[quote author=furyoo link=topic=42025.msg1181375#msg1181375 date=1285314000]With all due respect, this is not a mid table club.
[/quote]

You are only as good as your last season. If you asked supporters of Villa, Everton or Newcastle United, they would also claim that they are not mid-table clubs but have been unlucky lately.

The hard fact is that we do not have good enough players to avoid being a mid-table club at the moment. I don't blame Roy for that.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=42025.msg1181385#msg1181385 date=1285314944]
Ave, I think you'll find I was the first to say fuck Hodgson as manager for Lfc.

I posted a complete summary of his managerial stats, which were pretty shit, aswell as pointed out his appalling away record with Fulham.

I most certainly did not want him.

However, now that he's with us, the least the fans can do is give him a reasonable shot at tuning it around. Again, playing 3 of the top sides in the first month is hardly the best way to analyze his tenure.

And don't mention the c team he fielded against Northampton either pls.
[/quote]

Tuning it around by expecting to not getting anything from "a lot of games" against opposition we are supposed to beat?

He has had a tough start. I appreciate that. However in which season is it acceptable to loose everything against top draw opposition. Are we not expected to get any points from top 5-6-7 teams this season? We are supposed to be a top team ourselves arent we?

The 'c' team was the team HE put out, he sat there head in hands watching them getting overrun and did FUCK ALL, not a substitution in the 90 to try and correct things, not a change of tactics that clearly wasn't working**, nothing zilcj nada.

Oh and the 4th division team we played AT ANFIELD are not exactly a fucking 'A' team are they?

** Much like the embarresment that was against City, who haven't had a fucking result since they played us!

[quote author=Portly link=topic=42025.msg1181388#msg1181388 date=1285315181]
[quote author=furyoo link=topic=42025.msg1181375#msg1181375 date=1285314000]With all due respect, this is not a mid table club.
[/quote]

You are only as good as your last season. If you asked supporters of Villa, Everton or Newcastle United, they would also claim that they are not mid-table clubs but have been unlucky lately.

The hard fact is that we do not have good enough players to avoid being a mid-table club at the moment. I don't blame Roy for that.
[/quote]

25 Jose Reina
37 Martin Skrtel
23 Jamie Carragher
2 Glen Johnson
3 Paul Konchesky
28 Christian Poulsen
4 Raul Meireles
10 Joe Cole
8 Steven Gerrard
17 Maxi Rodriguez
9 Fernando Torres

Subs
1 Brad Jones
5 Daniel Agger
16 Sotirios Kyrgiakos
21 Lucas Leiva
19 Ryan Babel
24 David N'Gog
14 Milan Jovanovi?

You think they are 'mid table' players?

By what parameter are we considered a top team?

Our empty trophy cabinet?
Our fantastic 7th position last season?
Our CL status?
Our finances?
Our world class manager?

It's time Liverpool fans woke up and stopped living in the past. We havent won the league for 20 years yet still jizz at the thought of Dalglish and Rush banging them in like it's still 1986.

bottom line - we're a better team than grandpa thinks. the issue clearly is that we're also a better team than he's capable of managing!

I'm finding Roys attitude a little bit defeatist myself. Or maybe he's just a realist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom