• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Year of the Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstarexodus

Part of the Furniture
In honour of Chinese New Year and the start of the year of the Ox, seems an appropriate time to question what the future holds for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin.

We've seen a few promising patches when he's been available but, overall, his time at Liverpool has been marked by near-constant injury. And like his fellow treatment table mate, Naby, he's also failed to deliver on many occasions when he's been able to get on the pitch. If he gets healthy, where does he fit in?

Reading up on Chinese zodiac, 2021 pairs the Ox with the Metal element and states "Oxen face obstacles early on, although there are no financial worries. Friends and family arent much help, but they will be able to enjoy a comfortable retirement."

Is there any future for him here? Has he shown enough, injuries aside, for us to keep him in our plans? Is it time to put the Ox out to pasture?

I'm hoping we use him as makeweight in a deal to bring Neto here from Wolves. That's the highest expectation I've got left of him.

The only prediction for this year regarded Ox I’d make is.... he will get injured.

I'm not sure I've ever been proven so correct when it comes to a signing. The Ox has done exactly what I thought he would do when we signed him. I bet I'm not the only one here that thinks the same. To say he's been a disappointment would be wrong because I knew it would turn out the way it has. I always hope a signing (and one for big money) does well. Sadly not. An Edwards masterclass???? Arf!

As above, his future with us ends at freeing up the wage bill and hopefully providing £10m toward the 'warchest' in the summer

Depends how you define "good enough". His ability is of the right standard IMO. It's his fitness which has turned out not to be.
No, I disagree his ability wasn't. Had a few good games here and there but I'll mostly remember him for running into players.

Last edited:
More like the year of the physio, Chamberlain comes back from more injuries than a terminator. Not a good terminator though a smartprice own brand one.

I'm not sure I've ever been proven so correct when it comes to a signing. The Ox has done exactly what I thought he would do when we signed him. I bet I'm not the only one here that thinks the same. To say he's been a disappointment would be wrong because I knew it would turn out the way it has. I always hope a signing (and one for big money) does well. Sadly not. An Edwards masterclass???? Arf!

Yeah I was totally against signing him. There was a period in his first season where he was on a great run and making a big impact. He never really got any sort of form back after that injury

Yeah I was totally against signing him. There was a period in his first season where he was on a great run and making a big impact. He never really got any sort of form back after that injury
Yeah I remember that little run of form. But because he’s Ox and has a massive history of injuries sure enough.... He got injured..... Again...... Then again..... Then again.... He’s just back from injury...... so I wonder how long it will be before he gets injured again?

Funnily enough - Aside from doing my head in an LFC shirt I quite like him. He comes across like a nice fella who’s smart and articulate. He’ll make a good pundit me thinks.

Yesterday he came on and we were winning and ten minutes later we were three one down. It's not all on him but fucking hell, he's shite

Depends how you define "good enough". His ability is of the right standard IMO. It's his fitness which has turned out not to be.

I have to disagree with the ability part. He has attributes that are of the right standard. He can dribble decently well, has decent pace, is technically very good, can power forward with the ball, capable of one-touch football, can handle the physicality of the premier league, powerful shot. So if you evaluate him by attributes he scores highly on a number of them. But he has never been able to put all these attributes together to create a high-level performance on a consistent basis.

Part of it I would blame Wenger. During his development phase, he was shifted all over the pitch, in the middle, on the left-wing, left fullback, etc.

Yeah I remember that little run of form. But because he’s Ox and has a massive history of injuries sure enough.... He got injured..... Again...... Then again..... Then again.... He’s just back from injury...... so I wonder how long it will be before he gets injured again?

Funnily enough - Aside from doing my head in an LFC shirt I quite like him. He comes across like a nice fella who’s smart and articulate. He’ll make a good pundit me thinks.

Yeah he seems like he's sound

I have to disagree with the ability part. He has attributes that are of the right standard. He can dribble decently well, has decent pace, is technically very good, can power forward with the ball, capable of one-touch football, can handle the physicality of the premier league, powerful shot. So if you evaluate him by attributes he scores highly on a number of them. But he has never been able to put all these attributes together to create a high-level performance on a consistent basis.

Part of it I would blame Wenger. During his development phase, he was shifted all over the pitch, in the middle, on the left-wing, left fullback, etc.

So much this. He's got a lot of attributes but the totality of the player is less than the sum of them. Compounded by having a difficult time getting a run of games either in the same position or without injury.

Even pre covid we wouldn't have been able to have shifted Ox for much money because of his injury record...I think the best we can home is either to run his contract down in the same way Lallana left. Unfortunately the same will probably happen to Matip and Keita. You cant advertise injury prone players to other clubs for large transfers...I

I'm 50/50 on Ox if he can keep himself fit and get good match fitness from a series of games he becomes an important player but then he goes and gets a 3 - 6 month injury (which for Ox kinda feels like a standard length).

My thinking is that unless you are a Salah/ Mane/ VVD type player if we cant rely on you then there's no point in giving players contract extensions. I like Ox and Keita when they are fit but its not enough, they have to be moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom