• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Micah Richards for £5m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaschedUp

Active
MICAH RICHARDS IN KOP FRAME

Liverpool preparing £5m move for defender

By MARTIN HARDY, 13/06/2009

CASH-STRAPPED Liverpool are preparing a £5million move for England Under-21 defender Micah Richards.

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is ready to offload the 20-year-old defender, who burst on to the international stage two years ago.

Hughes wants Portsmouth's Glen Johnson and that would push Richards out of the first-team picture at Eastlands next season. Anfield boss Rafa Benitez, aware of the financial constraints he will have to work under this summer, believes he could pick up a bargain.

Richards has already been capped 11 times and Benitez wants a powerful and versatile defender to strengthen his squad for next season's Premier League title assault.

The right-back's star has fallen since England coach Fabio Capello took over the full national side but Benitez believes he can revive Richards' international career and the player would welcome the move.

Long-term fan Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could also be tempted to make an approach for the England full-back.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spo...pool-preparing-pound5m-move-for-defender.html

I really should have been a footie journo, making complete shite up and getting paid for it. What a life.

Michad Richards for GBP 5mln is just as ridiculous as Glenn Johnson for GBP 20mln.

Whilst the Arabs are flush because of black gold, doesnt mean they are stupid - they know a young English player with bags of potential fetches a sum of money well in excess of GBP 5mln.

Don't really rate him very highly, but at 5m, that's a steal. No way they'd let him go for anything less than 10.

if we can't get our 1st target (seems johnson) than Richards for 5 million is a great 'consolation prize'. He's slipped up a lot this past year but if anyone can iron out his inconsistencies it's Rafa.

£5m is a steal, although he's rumoured to be keeping the wrong crowd at the moment, hence his fall from grace.

NOTW made up story though, his price will be £17m by the end of next week.

This (if there's any truth to it) could be a great deal. Look where Glen Johnson was at 20, and look where he is now. Richards doesn't have Johnson's skill, but physically he's immense, and could play either RB or CB - which would potentially save us even more money.

If Richards is really available for 5m we should snap him up. He's a a great physical specimen and we know Rafa's strength is defensive coaching. With some tutoring from Carra and proper guidance from Rafa we could make him great.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=34152.msg887622#msg887622 date=1244939766]
If Richards is really available for 5m we should snap him up. He's a a great physical specimen and we know Rafa's strength is defensive coaching. With some tutoring from Carra and proper guidance from Rafa we could make him great.
[/quote]

Dr Rossenstien I presume...................

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=34152.msg887622#msg887622 date=1244939766]
[/quote]

Which defensive players has Rafa coached from the ground up into top class players whilst at Liverpool?

Carra....not from ground up though. But he was never one of the first names on the team sheet before Rafa arrived.

Besides he has had a lot more success with fitting a defender in his system, than he has had with fitting a forward player in his system.

Insua, Finnan, Carra, Arbeloa, Agger, Skirtel, Traore, Biscan, Sissoko have all managed to up their game for Rafa. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

Failure for him in that category would be Josemi, Pelegrino (on his last leg anyway), Dossena, Krompkamp.....none of them were significant talents before or afterwards, and perhaps that is down to a poor judgment call on Rafa's part with regards to their talent?

Riise and Aurelio have played at the same level with or without Rafa, so i can't really include them in either category. Degen/Warnock haven't seen much playing time to be judged.

I would say he has done a more than outstanding Job when it comes to the defensive side of the team.

[quote author=madmax link=topic=34152.msg887666#msg887666 date=1244964621]
Besides he has had a lot more success with fitting a defender in his system, than he has had with fitting a forward player in his system.
[/quote]

Agreed. But I think there is a lot more to the Richards project than fitting him into the side.

Furthermore, in what position would he get the games to improve?

He's not really the sort of player we're looking for at RB as he's not what you'd call a technical player and we're already well stocked at CB.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34152.msg887667#msg887667 date=1244965601]
[/quote]

Agreed. But I think there is a lot more to the Richards project than fitting him into the side.

Furthermore, in what position would he get the games to improve?

He's not really the sort of player we're looking for at RB as he's not what you'd call a technical player and we're already well stocked at CB.
[/quote]

Two things..

Is technical brilliance a necessity for a full back? Kuyt has proved that you can make up for that with endeavor even further forward on the pitch. Why couldn't that work for a fullback?
Is Micah Richards a real mug when it comes to technical ability with no hope of improving? I ask this out of ignorance as many people seem to have written him off.

Going forward he is less effective than Johnson, but he seems capable of being the extra man in defense and attack without missing a beat. He seemed decent enough doing that for England, when given the chance. If he can be more solid at the back (which he ain't at the moment) i would cast a blind eye to his technical weakness, because he will make up for that with set piece threat.

Carra....not from ground up though. But he was never one of the first names on the team sheet before Rafa arrived.

Insua, Finnan, Carra, Arbeloa, Agger, Skirtel, Traore, Biscan, Sissoko have all managed to up their game for Rafa. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

Failure for him in that category would be Josemi, Pelegrino (on his last leg anyway), Dossena, Krompkamp.....none of them were significant talents before or afterwards, and perhaps that is down to a poor judgment call on Rafa's part with regards to their talent?

Riise and Aurelio have played at the same level with or without Rafa, so i can't really include them in either category. Degen/Warnock haven't seen much playing time to be judged.

I would say he has done a more than outstanding Job when it comes to the defensive side of the team.
[/quote]

Torres is the fastest player ever to score 50 goals per games in a Liverpool Shirt.

Steven Gerrard in his advanced forward role has scored more goals in the past few seasons than he ever has done.

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=34152.msg887672#msg887672 date=1244967424]

[/quote]

Torres is the fastest player ever to score 50 goals per games in a Liverpool Shirt.

Steven Gerrard in his advanced forward role has scored more goals in the past few seasons than he ever has done.

[/quote]

and yer point is?

I never said he was a completely hopeless coach for forward players. He is better as a defensive coach on past evidence.

[quote author=madmax link=topic=34152.msg887671#msg887671 date=1244967338]
Two things..

Is technical brilliance a necessity for a full back? Kuyt has proved that you can make up for that with endeavor even further forward on the pitch. Why couldn't that work for a fullback?
Is Micah Richards a real mug when it comes to technical ability with no hope of improving? I ask this out of ignorance as many people seem to have written him off.

Going forward he is less effective than Johnson, but he seems capable of being the extra man in defense and attack without missing a beat. He seemed decent enough doing that for England, when given the chance. If he can be more solid at the back (which he ain't at the moment) i would cast a blind eye to his technical weakness, because he will make up for that with set piece threat.
[/quote]

I don't know to what extent he can or will improve, but either way, he's going to need games to achieve that improvement and I'd rather he didn't get them here - not after the season he's just had.

If we've already done all our business and we have 5M to take a punt on Richards as a squaddie - fine. Not as a first teamer hough.

He reminds me of Ryan Babel.

Big, strong, black, athletic, fast, and a proper presence.

Pity they're both shite.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34152.msg887686#msg887686 date=1244969284]

Pity they're both shite.
[/quote]

has ryan nicked your girlfriend or someone? you seem to have a serious mad on for him.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34152.msg887689#msg887689 date=1244969547]

Pity they're both shite.
[/quote]

has ryan nicked your girlfriend or someone? you seem to have a serious mad on for him.
[/quote]

When are you going to admit you were wrong about him Neil?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34152.msg887692#msg887692 date=1244969697]

Pity they're both shite.
[/quote]

[/quote]

When are you going to admit you were wrong about him Neil?
[/quote]

I'm 3/4 of the way there already, I still want him to have 'ONE' more season with a preseason under his belt. I haven't washed my hands of him yet (but it's close).

[quote author=MaschedUp link=topic=34152.msg887576#msg887576 date=1244930192]
MICAH RICHARDS IN KOP FRAME

Liverpool preparing £5m move for defender

By MARTIN HARDY, 13/06/2009

CASH-STRAPPED Liverpool are preparing a £5million move for England Under-21 defender Micah Richards.

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is ready to offload the 20-year-old defender, who burst on to the international stage two years ago.

Hughes wants Portsmouth's Glen Johnson and that would push Richards out of the first-team picture at Eastlands next season. Anfield boss Rafa Benitez, aware of the financial constraints he will have to work under this summer, believes he could pick up a bargain.

Richards has already been capped 11 times and Benitez wants a powerful and versatile defender to strengthen his squad for next season's Premier League title assault.

The right-back's star has fallen since England coach Fabio Capello took over the full national side but Benitez believes he can revive Richards' international career and the player would welcome the move.

Long-term fan Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could also be tempted to make an approach for the England full-back.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spo...pool-preparing-pound5m-move-for-defender.html
[/quote]

ridiculous fee, some no body defender goes for 4m from coventry and one of the most excisitng defensive talents playing for one of the richest teams in the world is quoted at 5 million.

[/quote]

Carra may have played at CB before Rafa arrived but he was distinctly mediocre there, and not much better at RB either. In those days LB was his best position by quite a margin. It's Rafa and his coaches who have made Carra the tremendous CB, and adequate stand-in RB, that he's become.

[/quote]

I think it's more the fact the young lad has all the attributes to be a top player, but cant translate that into becoming a top player. Cos he's either lazy, ignorant, has no football brain, or all of the above. Babel pisses me off something silly simply because he should be a good player, but isnt.

Haha, two days ago I said 'Whatever you think of Johnson, Michah Richards just isn't a feasible alternative', and now this...

Pffffffffft, damn silly season

Sounds like we fear being priced out of a move for Johnson, which is of no great surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom