• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Media : Who's Tipping Who for the Title ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, mark, I don't think Owen would have been a stand-in for Torres at all, let alone an ideal one.  There's no way he could play alone up front, the way Torres does and the way Rafa has always wanted his striker to do, which is why Rafa hasn't ever been that fussed about bringing him back.  

ManUre do play in a style which accommodates a "fox in the box" so I'd expect Owen to get a decent number of goals as long as he stays fit.  Whether his goals really will be "extra", or whether they actually won't be enough to make up for Ronaldo's tally, remains to be seen.

Torres might be a strong lad, but you don't think Owen could have played off Gerrard? They've played together exceptionally well before, and added to that you've got the physical presence of Kuyt who joins up in the box to harry defenders when required, which would have helped Owen.

You're never going to really get a like for like replacement for Torres, because combining pace and power costs money.

Owen would have done a good job for us in some games.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg923031#msg923031 date=1250080679]
Exactly right.

He's fantastic not in the 'Ribery' sense, but he was free, and is a proven striker.

Even his salary is linked to appearances.

Absolute no-brainer.

And Neil : you'd really rather have Babel over Owen?

[/quote]

depends how he is used, as an out and out striker obviously I'd choose owen but as someone who is going to start on the bench (because rafa plays one up front so starts with torres) and as someone who'd be expected to change games with 20 minutes to go (like how rafa used keane in his final months) then yes I'd perfer babel to owen.

If ever Torres got injured, Owen would've been paired with Kuyt in a 4-4-2.

Not a direct replacement for Torres, but a high quality option nonetheless.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35200.msg923042#msg923042 date=1250081106]
Torres might be a strong lad, but you don't think Owen could have played off Gerrard? They've played together exceptionally well before, and added to that you've got the physical presence of Kuyt who joins up in the box to harry defenders when required, which would have helped Owen.

You're never going to really get a like for like replacement for Torres, because combining pace and power costs money.

Owen would have done a good job for us in some games.

[/quote]

taking things from rafa's point of view I think it's the media circus that follows owen because it isn't the injury proneness (I can't be not with signing aquaman) maybe rafa thought if he leaves him out of the starting line up often enough it will cause hassle.
look at keane for instance, liverpool batter n'castle 5-1 and the media attention was on why keane didn't play, maybe rafa though 'fuck THAT'

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35200.msg923042#msg923042 date=1250081106]

[/quote]

I honestly think Owen would have been completely lost playing in a 4231 in place of Torres. He has no pace, no power, and he was never a great harrier of defenders even in his pomp.
In that particular role, for all his obvious flaws, I would (like spiderneil) genuinely prefer Babel.

(And yes, I know Babel doesn't harry defenders either.)

what will make very interesting viewing is when owen is upfront on his own for manu playing against burley defenders with manu expecting him to play with his back to goal, hold up the ball and link up with the late arriving midfielders because this is what he will be required to do with manu, it wont be like it was here with us soaking up pressing and then releasing the quick ball over the top, that's not how manu play.

Berbatov will be doing that, not Owen, who I suspect will make at least as many appearances as an impact sub off the bench as he does in the initial eleven.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg922967#msg922967 date=1250072868]
Yup.

Paul Masefield : Chelsea winners, Liverpool - 5th place
Abbas Saad : Chelsea winners, Liverpool - 5th place
Shebby Singh : Scum winners, Liverpool - 4th place
Jamie Reeves : Scum winners, Liverpool - 4th place

They all think Owen was a magnificent transfer, btw.
[/quote]

I remember those twats from when I lived in the same neck of the woods as you. They fucking hate Liverpool, especially that fat fuck Masefield.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=35200.msg923087#msg923087 date=1250085774]
Yup.

[/quote]

I remember those twats from when I lived in the same neck of the woods as you. They fucking hate Liverpool, especially that fat fuck Masefield.
[/quote]

He has got a bit of a god complex...hasn't he?

I hate the way he airs his opinion...

the media's double standards are laughable, seriously if it were liverpool that bought owen rather than manu based on the last five years of owen's career what do you think they would be saying? masterstoke? genius? magnificent transfer?
yes... of COURSE they would.

[quote author=madmax link=topic=35200.msg923094#msg923094 date=1250086202]
Yup.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He's a slimy cockney wanker.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=35200.msg923099#msg923099 date=1250086815]
Yup.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

that's a bit vague, you'll have to be more specific as that describes most cockneys

Patrick Barclay was interviewed on Radio 5 at the weekend and he was adamant that the Owen signing was very unlikely to work out well in that Owen won't stay fit and is not the player he was.

I totally agree I didn't want him back and although I hate seeing a Liverpool legend wearing their vile kit i am very glad he has joined them because I too think this one will backfire on Fergie.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35200.msg923114#msg923114 date=1250088296]
Owen legend? He does not qualify for that status in my eyes
[/quote]

make that 2 of us

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=35200.msg923099#msg923099 date=1250086815]
Yup.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup, agree with all of that.

Mase is especially bad.

The fat prick was smarming his way on the boat with the team when they went on a river cruise in Singapore.

I wish someone had tipped him in.

Donno.

I think they mentioned he was gone somewhere, but no idea whether its permanent or temporary.

Maybe he's busy with that Profitable crap.

Patrick Barclay in the times today really put me on a downer.... primarily because he's right, although overly pessimistic, it is possible for us to win.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=35200.msg923103#msg923103 date=1250087804]
Patrick Barclay was interviewed on Radio 5 at the weekend and he was adamant that the Owen signing was very unlikely to work out well in that Owen won't stay fit and is not the player he was.

I totally agree I didn't want him back and although I hate seeing a Liverpool legend wearing their vile kit i am very glad he has joined them because I too think this one will backfire on Fergie.
[/quote]

Patrick Barclay also tips us for a best possible place finish of 2nd and worst 5th !! Chelsea are his favourites.

Yep:

I actually do not see United winning the title this year. Ronaldo just won too many games for them.

I believe that this will be Liverpool's year.

Draws at home against lesser teams cost Liverpool last season, but I think manager Rafael Benitez has learned how to play against them. Instead of waiting to see what they will do, he has gone for what Liverpool fans expect which is to try to hem these teams in and batter them.

It was a style of play that started when they thrashed Real Madrid 4-0 in the Champions League and continued from there. It was great to see, and I can see it bringing the title back to Anfield for the first time in 20 years this season.

It is true that Ronaldo won them a lot of tight games against 'lesser' clubs.

Surely to God they have to miss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom