• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Masher agent to hold talks with Barca today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah sorry about that. I edited my post to make the youtube clips bigger so dont watch the smaller ones in the quoted posts please.

[quote author=Spudgun link=topic=34210.msg890647#msg890647 date=1245326666]
Yeah sorry about that. I edited my post to make the youtube clips bigger so dont watch the smaller ones in the quoted posts please.
[/quote]

So Spudgun, what did you think of Momo Sissoko?
Should we bring him back?

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=34210.msg890648#msg890648 date=1245326748]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Impressive start but it went a bit pear shaped after his eye injury. Bit of a headless chicken though, certainly not as composed as say a Lucas or Masch are. He lost the ball too often which you canny do at top-level. As for bringing him back - isch don't this so. My point is looking at the squad as it is, who else could fil the Masch role if he were to leave.

Ha! In that footage, he actually does a stepover 😱, nutmegs someone with a 90 degree standing Kanu-esque roll fake 😱 and also puts the ball in the back of the net 😱 😱 😱 .. the lad might be Brazilian after all!

[quote author=Spudgun link=topic=34210.msg890655#msg890655 date=1245327011]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Impressive start but it went a bit pear shaped after his eye injury. Bit of a headless chicken though, certainly not as composed as say a Lucas or Masch are. He lost the ball too often which you canny do at top-level. As for bringing him back - isch don't this so. My point is looking at the squad as it is, who else could fil the Masch role if he were to leave.
[/quote]

do you not think Lucas loses the ball far too often?

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=34210.msg890657#msg890657 date=1245327058]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

do you not think Lucas loses the ball far too often?
[/quote]

Not as much as Momo thats for sure. Momo used to pass to imaginery players wheras Lucas keeps things simple and play ticking over. You may find with his extra confidence gained from bulking up ie not being outmuscled off the ball, he may do better.

[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=34210.msg890656#msg890656 date=1245327047]
Ha! In that footage, he actually does a stepover 😱, nutmegs someone with a 90 degree standing Kanu-esque roll fake 😱 and also puts the ball in the back of the net 😱 😱 😱 .. the lad might be Brazilian after all!
[/quote]

Actually we see a ball hitting the back of the net... It could be a stunt man :🙂

[quote author=Phoenix link=topic=34210.msg890670#msg890670 date=1245327955]
[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=34210.msg890656#msg890656 date=1245327047]
[/quote]

Actually we see a ball hitting the back of the net... It could be a stunt man :🙂
[/quote]

Hehe.. good point. It's amazing what they can do with motion graphics these days.

As far as I'm concerned the club have done all that we can to keep him, we've made the right noises etc, if he carries on pushing for the move then fsir enought he wants to leave, I don't want us to keep anyone who doesn't want to play for us.

We just make sure we get as much money for him as possible.

Lucas doesn't lose the ball because he shows no ambition with it.

Then again neither Sissoko, but he was actually good at him primary role - Lucas just isn't.

If Mascherano were to leave then we would need a definite replacement; who that is, I don't know.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34210.msg890708#msg890708 date=1245331781]

Then again neither Sissoko, but he was actually good at him primary role - Lucas just isn't.

If Mascherano were to leave then we would need a definite replacement; who that is, I don't know.

[/quote]

I agree, leaving that role to Lucas would be suicidal.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=34210.msg890710#msg890710 date=1245331889]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You never know. It might be the making of Lucas. He has to be good at something doesn't he?

[quote author=Richey link=topic=34210.msg890714#msg890714 date=1245332023]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You never know. It might be the making of Lucas. He has to be good at something doesn't he?
[/quote]

Yep, conning Nike into thinking he was worth them paying him to wear their boots.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The stand-out candidate would be Stevie, but that would be a massive waste.

If Sami hadn't left I might have added Agger to the list.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=34210.msg890718#msg890718 date=1245332148]
[quote author=Richey link=topic=34210.msg890714#msg890714 date=1245332023]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, conning Nike into thinking he was worth them paying him to wear their boots.
[/quote]

Harsh. The lad has obvious talent. Why would Gerrard leap to his defence and criticise those who are constantly on his back. Like earlier poster said, it could be the making of him. He finally would have a designated role in the team.

[quote author=Spudgun link=topic=34210.msg890723#msg890723 date=1245332469]

Harsh. The lad has obvious talent. Why would Gerrard leap to his defence and criticise those who are constantly on his back. Like earlier poster said, it could be the making of him. He finally would have a designated role in the team.
[/quote]

1) What obvious talent? What is he good at other than passing it sideways?
2) Gerrard leapt to his defence because he's captain and as such, it's his duty to condemn the harsh booing of Lucas. This doesn't make Lucas a good player.
3) He's played a large quantity of games as a defensive midfielder. That's the role he's outlined himself and the role he's been given, albeit behind the pecking order of Masher and Xabi. His role has always been very clear.

[/quote]

Gerrard sticking up for a kid that he knows personally is hardly reason enough to believe Lucas is a 'talent'.

I'm all for giving young players a chance, I wish we'd give more homegrown players the same kind of chances. As of yet I'm struggling to see how he's any better than Guthrie, I'd rather have kept him. Point is, I hope Lucas comes good, obviously, but to suggest we leave the DM role to him as our number one is ridiculous, he's no where near good enough.

That's not me being harsh, just truthful.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34210.msg890731#msg890731 date=1245332783]

[/quote]

1) What obvious talent? What is he good at other than passing it sideways? Yes he does play a lot of sideway passes but I have seen him hit some long range passes to which Alonso would be proud of. I think the play safe mentality he developed was lragely due to fear of getting slated/booed if he lost the ball.2) Gerrard leapt to his defence because he's captain and as such, it's his duty to condemn the harsh booing of Lucas. This doesn't make Lucas a good player. I dont reacall Gerrard comming out defending the likes of Babel or Dossenna.3) He's played a large quantity of games as a defensive midfielder. That's the role he's outlined himself and the role he's been given, albeit behind the pecking order of Masher and Xabi. His role has always been very clear. I think he has had to make a massive adjustment to his game to play this role. Ill give you that.
[/quote]

[quote author=Spudgun link=topic=34210.msg890742#msg890742 date=1245333321]
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34210.msg890731#msg890731 date=1245332783]

[/quote]

1) What obvious talent? What is he good at other than passing it sideways? Yes he does play a lot of sideway passes but I have seen him hit some long range passes to which Alonso would be proud of. I think the play safe mentality he developed was lragely due to fear of getting slated/booed if he lost the ball.2) Gerrard leapt to his defence because he's captain and as such, it's his duty to condemn the harsh booing of Lucas. This doesn't make Lucas a good player. I dont reacall Gerrard comming out defending the likes of Babel or Dossenna.3) He's played a large quantity of games as a defensive midfielder. That's the role he's outlined himself and the role he's been given, albeit behind the pecking order of Masher and Xabi. His role has always been very clear. I think he has had to make a massive adjustment to his game to play this role. Ill give you that.
[/quote]
[/quote]Its nice you have a project. But the fact is wether its harsh or not, he isnt anywhere near good enough to anchor a top 4 side.

I guess we will find out next season. Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here. I just hope the boy can come good and show a lot more.

"Sideways passes that Xabi would have been proud of" - Great, that'll scare the life out of defenders. Keeping possession isn't a skill, it's a necessity, it's a given for top flight footballers. If he's unwilling to become more expansive then he'll never, ever succeed - not here, or anywhere else for that matter.  

Dossena and Babel have never been booed with such vitriol as Lucas, nowhere near, so there was no real need for Gerrard to swing into action. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but the fact that this is your basis for your 'Lucas obviously has talent' is a bit embarrassing for both him and for you.  

And yes, Lucas has had to adjust his game significantly from the game he played in Brazil, but it's been 2 years now with little or no improvement - just the same mediocre, weak, ineffective performances churned out week after week.

We were linked with Barry at the start of the summer, way before the Masher links started, and should he leave, I guarantee they'll be a replacement. Why? Because Rafa - and 90% of Liverpool fans - know Lucas Leiva isn't going to cut it.  

Lucas isn't good enough to play for us. Like Guthrie wasn't but he didn't have the added bonus of being Brazilian on his side.
Let that be a lesson as to how we view foreign 'starlets'.

[quote author=Spudgun link=topic=34210.msg890751#msg890751 date=1245334008]
I guess we will find out next season. Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here. I just hope the boy can come good and show a lot more.
[/quote]Im not as down on him as some are, but he CANT be a plan A. He just isnt ready. We need a top caliber player in our heart, we cant afford to train him as we go.

Lucas isn't good enough ? despite us never losing a league game when he's played and being part of the team that beat Man Utd 4-1 at old trafford. some of you go way over the top because I doubt we'll get Iniesta or Pirlo to sit on the bench

Guthrie also didn't cost £6M - it's not just his nationality.

And Rebel, we're dismissing the notion that Lucas could be first choice DM if Masher were to leave.

Nobody minds Lucas providing he's on the bench and playing a bit part role - although it's fair to say most people would like to have seen a greater improvement by now.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34210.msg890752#msg890752 date=1245334107]
"Sideways passes that Xabi would have been proud of" - Great, that'll scare the life out of defenders. Keeping possession isn't a skill, it's a necessity, it's a given for top flight footballers. If he's unwilling to become more expansive then he'll never, ever succeed - not here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Dossena and Babel have never been booed with such vitriol as Lucas, nowhere near, so there was no real need for Gerrard to swing into action. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but the fact that this is your basis for your 'Lucas obviously has talent' is a bit embarrassing for both him and for you.

And yes, Lucas has had to adjust his game significantly from the game he played in Brazil, but it's been 2 years now with little or no improvement - just the same mediocre, weak, ineffective performances churned out week after week.

We were linked with Barry at the start of the summer, way before the Masher links started, and should he leave, I guarantee they'll be a replacement. Why? Because Rafa - and 90% of Liverpool fans - know Lucas Leiva isn't going to cut it.
[/quote]

Actually he was refering to the long passes squig, not sideways. The rest of the post I agree

Lucas is a fair option, but should Masher go we need someone in there who can provide some guile and maybe some experience.

As said though in other parts of the thread, I'd prefer to see Masher go before Alonso, but ideally I'd love both to stay.

If a shake up of the midfield is to come though I'd like to see a player that will get a few more goals than the current lads do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom