• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Masher agent to hold talks with Barca today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many good seasons has Toure had? Considering he didn't get in their team this year till Xmas when they had injuries. Considering they touted him around the whole of Europe last season for 10mil Euros. Considering they are obviously seeking an upgrade on him. Seemingly, they don't rate him as highly as you do.
Flamini had 1 season at centre mid in the Prem, his 'good' season by your own admission. I don't think he's brilliant, I would just rather see him than Toure.

i liked flamini, admittedly he's not as good as mascherano, but it was arsenal that fucked him over the way i saw it.

Cole was injured most of the season as was clichy so they played flamini left back where he played extremely well, cole came back from injury just before the cl final and flamini was dropped for him.

That was not cool given how well he was playing, it also made it clear he had no place in the team no matter what position he played, I think he was right to leave. Fcuk wenger the creepy pedobear

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890347#msg890347 date=1245288164]
2 - With that in mind, get as much as we can for him. Starting at minimum 30M. If that 30M+ gets us a Villa or whomever, then what's the fucking problem?
[/quote]

The gaping hole in the midfield is the problem. I refer to the Chelsea game in the champions league where Masher was suspended and Chelsea ripped us apart, or AC Milan in the champions league final where Masher was subbed and Kaka ripped us apart.

[quote author=refugee link=topic=34210.msg890352#msg890352 date=1245288730]
2 - With that in mind, get as much as we can for him. Starting at minimum 30M. If that 30M+ gets us a Villa or whomever, then what's the fucking problem?
[/quote]

The gaping hole in the midfield is the problem. I refer to the Chelsea game in the champions league where Masher was suspended and Chelsea ripped us apart, or AC Milan in the champions league final where Masher was subbed and Kaka ripped us apart.
[/quote]

Pffft.

We were top of the league in January, and he hadn't played a game worth talking about.

Yes, he improved significantly in the second half of the season - but we're a fucking quality side without him.

He's replacable, and if the 30M (or whatever we'd get for him) went straight onto buying a better player, I'd sell in a heartbeat.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890354#msg890354 date=1245288998]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pffft.

We were top of the league in January, and he hadn't played a game worth talking about.

Yes, he improved significantly in the second half of the season - but we're a fucking quality side without him.

He's replacable, and if the 30M (or whatever we'd get for him) went straight onto buying a better player, I'd sell in a heartbeat.
[/quote]

I think you are significantly underrating his importance to the team and the difficulty we will have in replacing him (not to mention exaggerating about how long he was out of form for). A quality direct replacement will demand a sizable fee and as it is likely we be buying from abroad, represents a significant risk in whether they will adapt to the Premiership. Even if we do buy an established Premiership player there is no guarantee they will settle into the system as we have seen already this season with Keane.

Even if we do try and indirectly replace him by signing Villa (or whoever) and switching to 4-4-2 I question the logic in changing the system when we did so well last year.

[quote author=refugee link=topic=34210.msg890363#msg890363 date=1245291914]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pffft.

[/quote]

I think you are significantly underrating his importance to the team and the difficulty we will have in replacing him (not to mention exaggerating about how long he was out of form for). A quality direct replacement will demand a sizable fee and as it is likely we be buying from abroad, represents a significant risk in whether they will adapt to the Premiership. Even if we do buy an established Premiership player there is no guarantee they will settle into the system as we have seen already this season with Keane.

Even if we do try and indirectly replace him by signing Villa (or whoever) and switching to 4-4-2 I question the logic in changing the system when we did so well last year.

[/quote]

He's obviously an integral part of our team, but I'd be more worried if we were selling a Reina, a Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard or Torres.

United have won the league for three years running, and got to the last two European Cup Finals without a proper defensive midfielder, so teams can patently play without one - as we've shown on plenty of occassions.

Selling him wouldn't be the end of the World. Ideally, we'd keep him, but there's plenty of upside to him leaving too.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890364#msg890364 date=1245292317]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pffft.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He's obviously an integral part of our team, but I'd be more worried if we were selling a Reina, a Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard or Torres.

United have won the league for three years running, and got to the last two European Cup Finals without a proper defensive midfielder, so teams can patently play without one - as we've shown on plenty of occassions.

Selling him wouldn't be the end of the World. Ideally, we'd keep him, but there's plenty of upside to him leaving too.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure Ryan. He's an ntegral part of our team.

I agree with an earlier point that he is more important to the team when we are playing quality sides, whereas we can afford to rest him against "lesser" teams (this is where Lucas is supposed to prove his worth).

It's the old story, we're in a position of strength, and we have a group of players who have been at the club playing together, bar a few, for a couple of years now. I'd say retaining our current squad is argubably more important than adding to it thsi season.

Consistencey of team wins titles.

However, if this really is because of issues in his personal life and not the standard "money grab" then there isn't a lot we can do except ensure we rip every last penny off Barcelona in the same way Arsenal always seem to do.

I'm with Jules though, if Mascherano does go, it'll be a big blow and create a problem not easily solved.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=34210.msg890368#msg890368 date=1245297709]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890364#msg890364 date=1245292317]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pffft.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with an earlier point that he is more important to the team when we are playing quality sides, whereas we can afford to rest him against "lesser" teams (this is where Lucas is supposed to prove his worth).

It's the old story, we're in a position of strength, and we have a group of players who have been at the club playing together, bar a few, for a couple of years now. I'd say retaining our current squad is argubably more important than adding to it thsi season.

However, if this really is because of issues in his personal life and not the standard "money grab" then there isn't a lot we can do except ensure we rip every last penny off Barcelona in the same way Arsenal always seem to do.

I'm with Jules though, if Mascherano does go, it'll be a big blow and create a problem not easily solved.
[/quote]

A good point.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=34210.msg890368#msg890368 date=1245297709]

[/quote]

He is an integral part of the team but I think he is the least important of the untouchables in our team:Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Reina, Alonso, Mascher in that order.

Ideally I would not like to loose any of the untouchables. But if we were to loose one to raise money to strengthen other areas of the team, I would rather be him.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=34210.msg890376#msg890376 date=1245300493]
45 million quid, the Mail sez

*mouth watering*
[/quote]

Take off 8 mill, give us Yaya and then use that money to either a) buy villa or b) add it to what we have left of our budget and go for Ribery.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=34210.msg890377#msg890377 date=1245300857]

*mouth watering*
[/quote]

Take off 8 mill, give us Yaya and then use that money to either a) buy villa or b) add it to what we have left of our budget and go for Ribery.
[/quote]

Yup. That will do me.

*mouth watering*
[/quote]

There's absolutely no way Barecloan, or any other club for that matter, would give us 45M for Mascherano.

He's a defensive midfielder.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890380#msg890380 date=1245301634]

*mouth watering*
[/quote]

There's absolutely no way Barecloan, or any other club for that matter, would give us 45M for Mascherano.

[/quote]

27M for essien three years ago.... you are proably right ryan it is a ridiculous fee but on the other hand selling a great midfielder to a direct competitor... personally i wouldnt like to see him leave for less than 40M, in that we would have to buy a superstar to replace him. actually fuck that we paid near on twenty million for him and that was before the prices went nuts... you never know.

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=34210.msg890384#msg890384 date=1245305144]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34210.msg890380#msg890380 date=1245301634]

*mouth watering*
[/quote]

[/quote]

27M for essien three years ago.... you are proably right ryan it is a ridiculous fee but on the other hand selling a great midfielder to a direct competitor... personally i wouldnt like to see him leave for less than 40M, in that we would have to buy a superstar to replace him. actually fuck that we paid near on twenty million for him and that was before the prices went nuts... you never know.
[/quote]

Essien's not strictly a defensive midfielder though is he? You could put the Ghanian in about 8 positions across the pitch, and Chelsea probably have done. Where the fuck else could Masher play apart from defensive midfield?

Doesn't mean we shouldn't get a lot for him. He's highly rated and rightly so, but we won't get anywhere near 45M for him.

we don't want or need to sell, so set a rediculously high fee, if barca want him badly enough they'll sell.
if masher 'really' wants to leave his true colours will come out with a 'lower the fee' plee

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=34210.msg890405#msg890405 date=1245307842]
Is anyone else getting a little bit pissed off with our wantaway players ?
[/quote]

I know. First Dossena wanting to "run to Juventus" and now this!

[/quote]

Well we and the players can't stop rumours and links. Any fucking journalist can piece togethor some two-bit tenuous link.

What the players can do though is take TTA (The Torres Approach) which is to publicly laugh off any possible move away from Anfield, and do it quickly.

The fact that Xabi, and now Masher have failed to do this is what pisses me off the most.

no. masch i understand from his family perspective and if we can squeeze a record transfer out of it then he leaves with my blessing. arbeloa has unfinished business in spain and i can see him playing a lot less with johnson coming in, again 10 million for him is good business and whilst solid he can and should be improved upon.

i just wish lucas would want away.

maybe villa has gone to madrid but with the masch money we could buy villa and yaya. i think most of us would take that every day.

[/quote]

Yes and No.

In terms of Mascherano, as someone has said, if its a choice between saving his marriage or staying in Liverpool then he has to do what's right for his family.

Arbeloa? Well we've kind of shown him where he stands with the £18m purchase of Johnson.

Dossena? Will we really miss him? Judging by what most think here, then no.

Alonso? This is the difficult one. He is one of the best controllers of the passing tempo in Europe and I'd struggle to see how we could replace him without moving Stevie G back to CM.

Are there any I've missed?

Graham hunter on s.s.n.

Arbeloa - Yes were happy to sell if Madrid cough up €10-12m, and Perez wants him.

Mascherano - Has made it clear he wants more money and is trying to force Liverpools hand by 'meeting' Barcelona. Benitez wont sell and he will probably get his improved terms.

Reina - Barca want him but cant afford to spend half their budget on a keeper so very unlikely.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=34210.msg890413#msg890413 date=1245309708]
Graham hunter on s.s.n.

Arbeloa - Yes were happy to sell if Madrid cough up €10-12m, and Perez wants him.

Mascherano - Has made it clear he wants more money and is trying to force Liverpools hand by 'meeting' Barcelona. Benitez wont sell and he will probably get his improved terms.

Reina - Barca want him but cant afford to spend half their budget on a keeper so very unlikely.
[/quote]

Mascherano wants more money? I hate when players try and get raises this way. IF true, my liking of the player will slide drastically.

[/quote]

A wee bit yes. But this is much better than summers of 2003 & 2004 where no one wanted our players (other than gerrard and owen) even on loan.

I'm not bothered if masher is just fishing for a pay rise.... give it to him, he is worth it. I would be more bothered if he actually wants to leave.

How about we sell mascherano to barca for eto'o + 20 mill and then spend 12mil on martinez from bilbao to cover maschers position ;] + we'd have 8mil left to put towards a LM .. awesome idea

If you believe the media reports, Eto'o is looking for a insane last pay day at ~200K a week after tax.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34210.msg890430#msg890430 date=1245311890]
If you believe the media reports, Eto'o is looking for a insane last pay day at ~200K a week after tax.
[/quote]

It's because it's Man City...no-one wants to go there, but if they have too they may as well get paid for it.

[quote author=zlatan18 link=topic=34210.msg890428#msg890428 date=1245311731]
How about we sell mascherano to barca for eto'o + 20 mill and then spend 12mil on martinez from bilbao to cover maschers position ;] + we'd have 8mil left to put towards a LM .. awesome idea
[/quote]

Martinez is nothing like Mascherano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom