• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kenny on spending and transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
“It’s important that there is room for development for players,†said the Scot. “But it’s also important that you don’t use it as an excuse not to spend money and not improve what you’ve already got.

“Age does not determine their ability to play. So if we’re convinced we have young players who are maybe better than what’s available, then we’ll keep our younger players.

“We do need to leave some path open if we do think there are players who can come in, but that does not say we don’t want to improve as a football club.â€

That is likely to involve a busy summer of transfer activity at Anfield.
Dalglish, Comolli and the club’s revamped scouting staff are monitoring dozens of players, but a left back, a central defender, at least one wide player and a striker to support Andy Carroll and Luis Suárez appear to be the priorities.

FSG, though, is determined to cut back on what it sees as a wage bill bloated by highly paid mediocrities. The American group prefers a model which would have high-profile stars supplemented by home-grown youngsters.

A number of players out on loan will also be allowed to leave the club, with Alberto Aquilani, Emiliano Insua, Nabil El Zhar, Paul Konchesky and Philipp Degen available should suitable offers be made.

“There are changes at every football club at the end of the season and I don’t think we will be any different,†said Dalglish.

“Everyone has been included since I came in and everyone has been given an opportunity.

"At the end of the season we will know better where we stand when everyone comes back in [from loan]. The door is not closed on anyone.â€

Linky:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8467476/Kenny-Dalglish-urges-Liverpool-to-make-funds-available-for-summer-spending-spree.html

--------------

Transfers in:
CB
LB
WINGER
STRIKER
No CM?

[quote author=Glock link=topic=45051.msg1319809#msg1319809 date=1303438859]
We could do with a cheeky bid for Modric.
[/quote]

Cheeky bids have a habit of leading to unsuccessfuly transfer windows for us. We, in recent years, have been way too cheeky which leads to eventual real negotiations proceeding at a snail's pace. (cf. Dani Alves, Simao, Malouda)

Not to mention that Modric just mentioned that he is very happy at Spurs and does not expect to move unless Spurs receive an offer they can't refuse and approach him about moving. So, don't think cheeky bid will work. And, of course, he's under contract until 2016. And Spurs are above us in the table and will likely have European football of one variety or another next season.

It'll be interesting to see how the summer goes. After money brought from sales I'd hope we'd have 40+ million to spend. I think Kenny's latest quotes are intended to make sure Juve know that Aquilani won't be cheap. I'm not sure where a lot of the contracts are at but below are the players I think we've a decent chance of saying goodbye to.

Aqua--- 13 millionish
Joe Cole -- realistically no more than a couple of million
Hacksaw Jim Degen --- free to someone else (at best)
Jova ----- 4 million
Nabil El Zhar ---- Free
Insua -------- 2 million
Poulsen ---------- 2 million
Agger ---------He's highly rated but injury prone. 6 million
Konchesky ----- 2 million

I'd expect FSG to pony up about 15 - 20 million on top of that. I am very excited about next season already.

Goalkepper: Reina, Guscali (sp.)

Right back options: GlenJo, Kelly, Flanagan
CB: Carra, Skrtel, new CB, Wilson, Kelly (he's so good he's on two lists)
LB: Enrique (hopefully), Fabio, Robinson

RM or LM: Kuyt, new winger, Maxi, (could do with something more here, maybe someone from the academy)
CM: gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Jonjo

Up front: Carroll, Suarez, new guy (Kuyt's also an option)

We could really do with a top DM, but Lucas and Spearing have been more than decent this season. However, when we get stronger I believe that there will only room for one of them in the squad.

Obviously on top of this they also ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GIVE KENNY THE JOB. I can't wait for next season.

Yep. I'm hoping we have a good summer. We haven't had one of those since that window when Torres arrived...surely by the law of averages, we will have a good one sooner than later?

I still don't expect us to be mega spenders, I just hope we manage to sell at a good price and spend our money wisely for once...whatever the budget is.

We have so much lose in this squad.
Konchesky
Maxi
Cole
Jovanovic
Ngog
Degen
Poulsen
Aurelio
The Greek.

They all need culling. Id be open to offers for Agger too.
If we can scuffle together 20m from that lot and the board give up say another 30 to 40m, we would be in fairly good shape i think
Reina
Gulacsi
Kelly
Robinson
Carragher
Flanagan
Skrtel
Johnson
CB
Spearing
Lucas
DM
Meireles
Gerrard
Aquilani
Kuyt
LW
Suarez
Carroll

Suso
Shelvey
Sterling
Morgan
Coady
Wisdom
etc.

60m for the gaps?

Pretty good Pretty good.

Like I've stated before if we get a good enough offer for Johnson I'd take it considering that we have Kelly.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=45051.msg1320055#msg1320055 date=1303490713]
Like I've stated before if we get a good enough offer for Johnson I'd take it considering that we have Kelly.
[/quote]

I disagree unless the offer comes close to wht we spent on him (which it most likely won't). Kelly is still young and has suffered relatively bad injuries in the last two seasons, while Flanagan despite his good start is still only 18. No manager has seemed to go for it yet, but Johnson could also be an option on the wing if needs be.

[quote author=GOD_23 link=topic=45051.msg1320064#msg1320064 date=1303492217]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=45051.msg1320055#msg1320055 date=1303490713]
[/quote]

I disagree unless the offer comes close to wht we spent on him (which it most likely won't). Kelly is still young and has suffered relatively bad injuries in the last two seasons, while Flanagan despite his good start is still only 18. No manager has seemed to go for it yet, but Johnson could also be an option on the wing if needs be.
[/quote]

Yeah pretty much what I meant somewhere close to £18 Million would suffice.

[quote author=GOD_23 link=topic=45051.msg1320034#msg1320034 date=1303485431]
It'll be interesting to see how the summer goes. After money brought from sales I'd hope we'd have 40+ million to spend. I think Kenny's latest quotes are intended to make sure Juve know that Aquilani won't be cheap. I'm not sure where a lot of the contracts are at but below are the players I think we've a decent chance of saying goodbye to.

Aqua--- 13 millionish
Jova ----- 4 million
Nabil El Zhar ---- Free
Insua -------- 2 million

I'd expect FSG to pony up about 15 - 20 million on top of that. I am very excited about next season already.

RM or LM: Kuyt, new winger, Maxi, (could do with something more here, maybe someone from the academy)

We could really do with a top DM, but Lucas and Spearing have been more than decent this season. However, when we get stronger I believe that there will only room for one of them in the squad.

Obviously on top of this they also ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GIVE KENNY THE JOB. I can't wait for next season.
[/quote]

That is probably your longest post here ever.

semi-realistically i'd like (and going from reported targets):

Ashley Young
Yann M'Vila
Jose Enrique
Balzas Dzsudzsak
Gary Cahill
Connor Wickham

it'll be interesting to see what they do about this thing of allowing a pathway for the youngsters. i'm thinking especially in terms of centre halves, because the defence has been much improved since kenny came in and we've got some serious potential coming through there in kelly, ayala, wisdom and maybe even coady. i think if we bring somone like chahill in then there's room to sell one of agger and skrtel, and tbh i'd really be looking at agger because his injuries are becoming a pisstake, and if we can get £10m for him i'd probably take it. i'd let soto go too because i think ayala is good enough to do his job in the squad, in which case you'd have

carragher
cahill
skrtel
ayala
kelly

that looks about right to me.

so, in total:

IN

Young - £15m
Cahill - £18m
M'Vila - £12m
Dzsudzsak - £12m
Enrique - £10m
Wickham - £10m

Total = £77m

OUT

Agger - £10m
Aquilani - £10m
Cole - £5m
Jovanovic - £3m
Maxi - £2m
Poulsen - £1.5m
Konchesky - £1.5m
Kyrgiakos - £1m
Ngog - £4m

Total = £38m. Net = £39m

leaves a squad of:

GK: Reina, Gulacsi, Jones
RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan
LB: Enrique, Johnson, Robinson
CB: Carragher, Cahill, Skrtel, Kelly, Ayala
CM: Gerrard, M'Vila, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey
AM: Young, Dzsudzsak, Pacheco, Kuyt
CF: Carroll, Suarez, Wickham

Youngsters on the verge of breakthrough: Suso, Sterling, Wisdom, Coady

I'm always banging on about it, but what a difference a few months makes

Appointing Kenny
Buying Suarez and Carroll,
Getting rid the Sulk
Wins against City, Utd, Chelsea and a draw/win vs Arsenal

and
Bringing through the youth.. most of ALL! With Kenny's experience in the academy (thanks Rafael)

When we see these lists, the youth factor just makes the whole rebuilding job so much easier. I think having kids in the team also brings out the best in the older players. Fecking great!

i completely forgot about danny wilson, and sylvain marveaux will probably sign as well to replace joe cole. so using my example we could have a first XI of:

Reina
Kelly
Carragher
Cahill
Enrique
M'Vila
Gerrard
Meireles
Young
Suarez
Carroll

a 'second' XI of

Jones
Johnson
Skrtel
Wilson
Robinson
Lucas
Spearing
Dzsudzsak
Marveaux
Kuyt
Wickham

and a 'youth' side of

Gulacsi
Flanagan
Ayala
Wisdom
Smith
Coady
Shelvey
Suso
Sterling
Pacheco
Ngoo/Morgan

you'd have to think that should get us back in the CL. ok, £40m is a lot to spend in one summer but that squad looks pretty much set for the next 5 years, with the only real issue being to find some kind of replacement for gerrard.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=45051.msg1320087#msg1320087 date=1303495837]
[quote author=GOD_23 link=topic=45051.msg1320034#msg1320034 date=1303485431]

Aqua--- 13 millionish
Jova ----- 4 million
Nabil El Zhar ---- Free
Insua -------- 2 million

[/quote]

That is probably your longest post here ever.
[/quote]

I don't think there's any probably about it Dave.

Without the massive debt to service and with increased revenues, we're in for huge summer of transfer activity. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom