• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is TAA worth breaking the wage structure ?

moron

i am legend
Lots of people think to sign TAA onto a new contract we are going to have to give him a huge offer potentially for the next 5 seasons. Do you all think he will be worth breaking our unwritten wage structure for ? I don't think he has been that great for the last 2 seasons - is he deserving of such suggested increases.

What wage structure?
What wages?
How long?
there are no details to my post as I don't have a clue - but its just the discussions taking place on various channels where people saying we need to sign him up and to compete with any other offers we are going to have to give him something massive in wages and also the contract length will be 5 years at least. It could all be bullshit - although I think the wage demands will be high, but is he going to be worth breaking the bank for ?

If he's demanding more than what Salah currently is making then no.
But I doubt it. I honestly think Trent just wants to try something else. Maybe he wants to be in the dominant team for once.

Trent will sign a new deal and it will probably be close to what Salah is earning now. He's worth it as well.

Trent will sign a new deal and it will probably be close to what Salah is earning now. He's worth it as well.
That smile after the Man U game got my hopes up. Also the fact that he said something along the lines of "I'm coming back" to the crowd

The club has a very tricky balancing act to carry out here. I want him to stay just like everyone else does, but (yes, I know it's a cliché, but clichés generally become clichés in the first place because they're true) no player is bigger than the club, and Trent's little sulk recently does not fill me with confidence over the kind of use he might make of the status that a wage structure-busting rise would give him. It would all depend on the detail of the offer IMO.

Lots of people think to sign TAA onto a new contract we are going to have to give him a huge offer potentially for the next 5 seasons. Do you all think he will be worth breaking our unwritten wage structure for ? I don't think he has been that great for the last 2 seasons - is he deserving of such suggested increases.
Yes, as the club has left it late and all the cards are with Trent. So £350-400K is doable, doubt he is looking for more

The club has a very tricky balancing act to carry out here. I want him to stay just like everyone else does, but (yes, I know it's a cliché, but clichés generally become clichés in the first place because they're true) no player is bigger than the club, and Trent's little sulk recently does not fill me with confidence over the kind of use he might make of the status that a wage structure-busting rise would give him. It would all depend on the detail of the offer IMO.

Yeah I don't want to start some big thing cos I've got nothing against him really, but I've long had the impression that he's a bit of a dickhead tbh. I wonder if he just wants to be off in Madrid with the other superstars.

Hope I'm wrong.

Get him in performance bonuses and pay him more for Assists & Clean Sheets than goals. Sorted.

Yeah I don't want to start some big thing cos I've got nothing against him really, but I've long had the impression that he's a bit of a dickhead tbh. I wonder if he just wants to be off in Madrid with the other superstars.

Hope I'm wrong.

Yes. My assumption is that the vast majority of them are dickheads really, to varying degrees. It's especially apparent when they are asked about contacts and hide behind the line that 'oh, I have nothing to do with that, totally out of my hands'. I mean, it obviously isn't! They just don't want to look greedy.

I don't have anything against any of them, but it is what it is.

On the original question though, he's an extremely good player, he's our player for now, pretty much any club would take him and so yes he wouldn't be out of place as one of our top earners.

Hope I'm wrong.

To be fair though, it’s probably easier to count the footballers that AREN’T dickheads and we generally seem to have an entire squad of less-dickheady players.

I think more important question is whether, in the likely event of him wanting to be a 'galatico' somewhere outside of the UK, are we willing to put him on a short term 'appeasement' contract in order to avoid missing out on what would be a £100m+ fee.

I think it would go down terribly if he ran down his contract to leave his boyhood club on a free, when such a fee would transform the team.

Trent should be among the higher earners, but there are limits. Robbo had produced similar numbers from the other side over the years and is on less than £100k. Trent's additional value comes from his age, world-class long-range passing, and set pieces, and is a home-grown, marketable, 'scouser in the team'. While I understand why Trent does and will receive more, the fees do need grounding in reality. He's not the full-on superstar he wishes and sometimes acts like. Huffing and sulking on the bench, as vice-captain of this club, was cringe-worthy, especially when he's seen first-hand how Milner and Henderson conducted themselves in leadership roles. I do fear he was given that role more to his footballing ability than anything else and it doesn't appear like it's matured him in any way whatsoever. I wouldn't bolt on any additional value to him being vice-captain. He likely shouldn't be it to begin with.

I've said it before but having Bradley makes me far more relaxed about the Trent situation. The clear preference is to keep him, but if he wants to join that gang of dickheads in Madrid then I won't be losing any sleep over it. We would be losing a player with some world-class abilities for free, but at the same time, we couldn't ask for a better understudy. The point is the club should make a fair offer, but not be desperately scrambling to keep him and inflate that ego any further. Providing all sides are reasonable then this should get done.

The wage structure can't remain the same forever. The calculation will be if Trent/Salah/whoever goes up by x amount, what will the knock on effect be.

Trent should be among the higher earners, but there are limits. Robbo had produced similar numbers from the other side over the years and is on less than £100k. Trent's additional value comes from his age, world-class long-range passing, and set pieces, and is a home-grown, marketable, 'scouser in the team'. While I understand why Trent does and will receive more, the fees do need grounding in reality. He's not the full-on superstar he wishes and sometimes acts like. Huffing and sulking on the bench, as vice-captain of this club, was cringe-worthy, especially when he's seen first-hand how Milner and Henderson conducted themselves in leadership roles. I do fear he was given that role more to his footballing ability than anything else and it doesn't appear like it's matured him in any way whatsoever. I wouldn't bolt on any additional value to him being vice-captain. He likely shouldn't be it to begin with.

I've said it before but having Bradley makes me far more relaxed about the Trent situation. The clear preference is to keep him, but if he wants to join that gang of dickheads in Madrid then I won't be losing any sleep over it. We would be losing a player with some world-class abilities for free, but at the same time, we couldn't ask for a better understudy. The point is the club should make a fair offer, but not be desperately scrambling to keep him and inflate that ego any further.
I think we should give him a pass for that sulky substitution. You bring up Hendo, but remember his sulking after substitution and subsequent bollocking he got from Klopp for it? And he was already captain at the time.
And Trent tried his best with a smile in the United game, so he's trying.

I think Bradley's great, but has nowhere near the talent of Trent. We should do all we can to keep him during his prime years.

We don’t have a wage structure anymore. That was blown out of the water with the Salah deal.

I don't know what the wage structure is or the various implications for "breaking" it, however, the fact that we find ourselves in this position is criminal.

Losing someone that's come through the academy and has developed into a world class player for free is crazy and can't happen.

There isn't much left in football that matters any more but having locals in the side 100M in the bank adds that special something

For all we know no amount would make him sign as he's already got his heart and mind set on Madrid.

If he's asking for 20-25m+ a year to renew then he's going to be told to fuck off.

Personally I've always hated the idea of losing assets on a free, if Madrid do want him and see him as the successor to Carvajhal like we're led to believe, then put a 70m release clause in his contract which only applies ot them.

I wonder if the club wanted Slot to be sure he wanted him and could build around him before throwing him a ginormous deal

I wonder if the club wanted Slot to be sure he wanted him and could build around him before throwing him a ginormous deal

I can see the logic but honestly I would find it hard to accept that as an excuse.

TAA is a known quantity. They're also well aware of Slot's philosophy and would've had several conversations no doubt as to his plans for Liverpool when interviewing him.

Ultimately it's a decision for the sporting director and the idea that they'd have to wait on the head coach giving the OK doesn't ring true, certainly in this case.

To be fair though, it’s probably easier to count the footballers that AREN’T dickheads and we generally seem to have an entire squad of less-dickheady players.

Yeah I meant he's more one than most, though. Just my impression.

Imagine this - with the rumours of possibly going in for Zubi (again !!!) in Jan transfer window - TAA decides to move on to his besties club, and to sweeten the blow we sign Zubi. What then ?

I personally do not think Slot rates him as much as we do, and also has there ever been a situation were a clubs RB is the highest paid ? - I doubt it.

Imagine this - with the rumours of possibly going in for Zubi (again !!!) in Jan transfer window - TAA decides to move on to his besties club, and to sweeten the blow we sign Zubi. What then ?

I personally do not think Slot rates him as much as we do, and also has there ever been a situation were a clubs RB is the highest paid ? - I doubt it.
How is signing a mommy’s boy going to sweeten Trent leaving?
You keep saying Slot doesn’t rate him but this is wrong. He has started every game and has been consistently amonst our best players. TBH, I’m really enjoying Trent play as RB again with a little more simplicity, He seems focussed and his defending I would say has been good as anyone on that side so far.
Why are you evaluating his purely as a RB only? You are discounting his actual contribution over the past as assist maker, free kick scorer, vice captian as well as the only born scouser. BM’s highest paid player I believe is Kimmich so very compareable in terms of commercial value to the club.
If Trent was to leave then would be a disaster for the club at this stage and there is no up side to it apart from we probably shoulld accept and move on.
Btw, I don’t see Slot going back in for Zubi regardless, I think he has soiled his character card for us.

Back
Top Bottom