• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

International Break - Sept

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
I hate internationals. This will never change. U21s too - as i'd prefer to see Elliot & Morton getting more time training here.

However, who is staying at the training ground for the next 2 weeks?

Looks like - Chiesa and Nunez only from the senior squad?

It's true that we really could have done without this as we are finding our feet under Slot. Let's just hope everyone comes back without a knock. It also gives Slot a couple of weeks to work with Nunez. After seeing what Slot has done with Gravy I'm starting to dream that Slot might be able to coach some sense into him.

I felt there were a couple of times yesterday that Nunez made great runs or got into good positions and was completely overlooked. I also have hope that he will fight to show he deserves the starting spot, let's see how these 2 weeks go. Its such a good opportunity for him to seize a chance - as I expect he will start against Forest to allow Jota to start in the CL (but it could be vice versa).

RE: International footy. I think that the Euros should be the qualification tournament for the World Cup (for Euro teams) e.g. all quater finalists qualify.

The Euros should then be made slightly differently to encompass more teams but with a more cut throat knock out so that it fits same time frame.

Do this and you don't need any mid season intenational qualifications, and can also then look at having friendlies only in the second half of a season the year before either the Euros or WC.

RE: International footy. I think that the Euros should be the qualification tournament for the World Cup (for Euro teams) e.g. all quater finalists qualify.

The Euros should then be made slightly differently to encompass more teams but with a more cut throat knock out so that it fits same time frame.

Do this and you don't need any mid season intenational qualifications, and can also then look at having friendlies only in the second half of a season the year before either the Euros or WC.
As if. £££££££££££££££££££££££££

Euro and WC qualifiers were never a big problem. Its the extra friendlies which have now morphed into the nations league that I really resent. This early break sucks as does the one in May/June. Don't see how they make Fifa much money tbh. The club world cup is going to be another major headache if we qualify in future.

Ah teams change, that’s too long a gap. It’s shite though. Top teams straight in where most good players play anyway. The rest fight it out for the other spots in a knockout style only.

Euro and WC qualifiers were never a big problem. Its the extra friendlies which have now morphed into the nations league that I really resent. This early break sucks as does the one in May/June. Don't see how they make Fifa much money tbh. The club world cup is going to be another major headache if we qualify in future.

Agreed - and the Nations League seems to be on top of friendlies too. It's all too much. I'd almost prefer a single 6 week window where all international is played mid season (if it needs to be) than these bitty breaks.

Don't think anyone is staying around, Arne is spending time away with his family back in the Netherlands so I'm assuming the others not called up will have their own personal break.

Oh and the nations league fucking sucks.

Don't think anyone is staying around, Arne is spending time away with his family back in the Netherlands so I'm assuming the others not called up will have their own personal break.

Oh and the nations league fucking sucks.
Chiesa will definitely work on his fitness, he won't won't have many days off.
Jones will be doing rehab.
Gomez, Nunez etc will also be in training.

Chiesa will be playing Fifa.
Jones will be looking after his new born.
Gomez will probably be in a gym somewhere.
Nunez will be shagging a few wives other than his own.

Chiesa was puffing rightly in that video of his fitness tests at the training ground.

Well I think I have an idea of what he said in the dressing room after the game:

View: https://youtu.be/ijsPH9Wxm6k

Those last 15 seconds in particular is pure gold, so much for Arne not being about the affection for the players.

The longer he's here and has to work with the players is when the affection grows. That's the Klopp-Hendo moment he'll have with Virg after we win the PL/CL double.

Utter bullshit having a break now. My last weekend in my hometown before moving across the country and no match to watch with my mates.

(And was out of town for yesterday's spectacle too.)

Similarly, I'm in Dublin for a few days, first time in a long time to see the Fam, and all there is to watch is a Nation's league match (against ENGERLAND) no less.

Luciano Spalletti on Federico Chiesa:

"Chiesa and I spoke and made a fair assessment, I would have brought him as an extra player, not participating in the games. He told me that he had spoken to his new club and that he needs to do specific preparation work with them"

Fuck sakes and so it begins. Internationals haven't even started and I'm already fed up of it.

Rabiot is still available on a free right? 😒

They need to bin the Euro conference league bollocks

Am I the only one not super confident about our backup midfielders (except Harvey at AM) replacing one or both of our double pivot players?

Am I the only one not super confident about our backup midfielders (except Harvey at AM) replacing one or both of our double pivot players?

I would be much more confident of seeing a midfield of Endo, Jones/Morton & Elliot in the CL (for 6 of the games at least) than PL.

I’d love Slot to have a core set of players who rotate and only do either PL or Cups.

For at least the first half of the season I’d want to keep Virgil, Trent, Macca, Szobo, Salah only used in PL (bar Real & Leverkusen at home). This will keep them fresh for the new year.

In midfield especially we need the rotation players to build chemistry, so playing Endo & Morton together every time (this assumes Jones is injured) helps them build an understanding.

I would be much more confident of seeing a midfield of Endo, Jones/Morton & Elliot in the CL (for 6 of the games at least) than PL.

I’d love Slot to have a core set of players who rotate and only do either PL or Cups.

For at least the first half of the season I’d want to keep Virgil, Trent, Macca, Szobo, Salah only used in PL (bar Real & Leverkusen at home). This will keep them fresh for the new year.

In midfield especially we need the rotation players to build chemistry, so playing Endo & Morton together every time (this assumes Jones is injured) helps them build an understanding.
I don't think Morton is going to be given any minutes. That's what I got from Pearce's article. The club wanted to sell Morton apparently.

My worry probably stems from not having seen our squad players play for a while but midfield is such an important area on the pitch. In the three games so far, we've seen what a pivotal role they've played.
To suddenly see Endo and Jones in there...even against West Ham in the cup, would make me a bit nervous.

Back
Top Bottom