• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EURO 2024 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only player I remeber is doing this is with Diaz and maybe that was because there was probably a deal on.
Maybe funds is an issue? We don’t like to spend big unless we must big.
Ideally if you get the player early enough, they shouldn't cost the earth.

Only player I remeber is doing this is with Diaz and maybe that was because there was probably a deal on.
Maybe funds is an issue? We don’t like to spend big unless we must big.
We'd been watching him and waiting for the summer, but Spurs made a bid and forced our hand

I’ve been saying for years that Klopp’s biggest weakness was loyalty to players when us fans could see they were on the decline.
But can you imagine an SCM manager, with the excessive recency bias that typifies this place.

Post match discussion in the dressing room -
  • "Mbappe, you missed a 25 yard sitter in the 89th minute, that's you relegated to the reserves for the rest of the season & sold for dog food in the summer"
  • "Poulsen - you completed a 2 yard pass, just after scoring that screamer OG in injury time, here's a lifetime contract"

But can you imagine an SCM manager, with the excessive recency bias that typifies this place.

Post match discussion in the dressing room -
  • "Mbappe, you missed a 25 yard sitter in the 89th minute, that's you relegated to the reserves for the rest of the season & sold for dog food in the summer"
  • "Poulsen - you completed a 2 yard pass, just after scoring that screamer OG in injury time, here's a lifetime contract"
"Diaz, i'm sorry to hear about your parents kidnapping. The lads will come round later your house to hold a prayer vigil for you. You'll never ever, EVER, i mean it, EVERRRRRR walk alone hermano !"

A few moments later.

"Diaz, you useless sack of sh*te. I wish the kidnappers should have kidnapped you instead cos you're just a showboating good for nothing. Lads, give him a good beating and feed him to the dogs !!"

I’ve been saying for years that Klopp’s biggest weakness was loyalty to players when us fans could see they were on the decline.
But isn't that a little related to our spending policy?
Do you sell and replace at the same time when it's budget is tight or stick with what you have?
It's a bit easier for clubs like RM,City or even Arsenal whom can spend 20-30 million on a younger version and bed him in over 1-2 season without having to sell the starter.
I'm not saying we haven't brought duds but Klopp really did have to operate in really tight scenarios over his tenure.

In theory but then costing the earth bit is a subjective, our costing the earth for a sub/youth is 5-10 million and most other clubs is 20-30.

"Diaz, i'm sorry to hear about your parents kidnapping. The lads will come round later your house to hold a prayer vigil for you. You'll never ever, EVER, i mean it, EVERRRRRR walk alone hermano !"

A few moments later.

"Diaz, you useless sack of sh*te. I wish the kidnappers should have kidnapped you instead cos you're just a showboating good for nothing. Lads, give him a good beating and feed him to the dogs !!"
A bit harsh.

Surely we have more choice meat for the dogs?

But isn't that a little related to our spending policy?
Do you sell and replace at the same time when it's budget is tight or stick with what you have?
It's a bit easier for clubs like RM,City or even Arsenal whom can spend 20-30 million on a younger version and bed him in over 1-2 season without having to sell the starter.
I'm not saying we haven't brought duds but Klopp really did have to operate in really tight scenarios over his tenure.
We were best at spending when we sold big and then used that money for several signings. We even managed to do it when Barca paid us on the never never.

We were best at spending when we sold big and then used that money for several signings. We even managed to do it when Barca paid us on the never never.
That was kind of unique because we brought him young (19?) and sold him at 24(?) before peak?
Other players we mentioned related to core players, not sure really we could have done it to the same level.
Most of our big buys so far have been 24yr old, so would mean typically we would need to buy a replacement when they are 26 and sell at 27-28? To make some big money, not sure if that is really a very repeatable pattern.

But if you get them that early then you're not getting any guarantee as to what player he'll become. So you do this 4-5 times and none pan out and now you're £25-50m down the swanee.

A bit harsh.

Surely we have more choice meat for the dogs?
If you saw my post, Mbappe was being made into dogfood. So, if you consider Mbappe as the tin of high quality Pedigree Chum with Diaz as the Lidl own brand dry kibble that you mix in to make the bowl look full, then I think the analogy works well.

But if you get them that early then you're not getting any guarantee as to what player he'll become. So you do this 4-5 times and none pan out and now you're £25-50m down the swanee.
Unfortunately that's the market we need to fish in though. We don't have the pull as much as other teams do ATM. New manager, huge upheaval, aging stars; the finished product might not want to risk on us clicking.

I support the club, not exactly the players. I have more time for the players, but can also be critical and objective. I don't see anything wrong with that.

In case you forget, we ended 3rd, the defence conceding an early goal every match was a big part of the issue. Virgil was mainstay in the defence. We ran out of steam at the end, and the constant chasing the lost goal early in the game was part of the reason in my opinion.

I also put more emphasis on the crunch matches, the arsenals, city, utd, and we didn't do well enough. Add to the crazy 0-3 lost to Atlanta, 4-3 lost to Utd in the cups. Constantly berating the likes of Diaz, Nunez, Salah while heralding Virgil as "the best defender in the league", simply doesn't sit well with me.

1. How about the attack was often brutal when it mattered AND the defense was too? How does that work? Virgil is nowhere near what he used to be, and at his best now is a very good defender. And his worst, he's a shadow of his former self. Just like Mo, actually.

2. Why is this being done in a thread about the Euros? :yellowcard:😉

My power rankings after the group stage:

1. Spain - played best football and rested their best team in the 3rd game as one should.
2. Germany - the Musiala/Wirtz creative double-pivot is impressive. Don’t think they’ll win it all though.
3. Switzerland - a solid, balanced, modern team with some outstanding players.
4. France - Kante has been a revelation, they’ll be hard to beat with him.
5. Austria - Rangnick showing what a forward-thinking coach can do with a national team that buys into his philosophy.
6. Portugal - great squad, stupid manager.
7. Italy - good manager, great GK, mediocre rest of the squad.
8. Georgia - everybody should learn how to say Kvaratskhelia and Mamardashvili now. Also buy some Georgian wine, it’s delicious!
9. Denmark - played some decent football, but need cutting edge from somewhere.
10. Netherlands - some interesting players, but overall unbalanced and Koeman doesn’t know what to do with most of them.
11. Romania - probably the best of the Eastern European teams in this tournament, good spirit and organization.
12. Belgium - ageing and disapponting. How come Openda isn’t playing?
13. England - if marmite played football.
14. Slovakia - spirited, but limited.
15. Slovenia - even more limited.
16. Turkey - shite, shouldn’t have qualified from the group.

Georgia is the birthplace of wine, apparently. For that reason alone they should be allowed to win the thing.

Who cares. They'll win it.

And when will we ever learn ? Stats are just stats.

I put down my scores in my prediction/fantasy league, based on H2H and form book like most punters do. But look at the results so far - half of those scorelines, i bet nobody expected them.

Georgia beat Portugal ? USA, host nation lose to a canal ? England....well england will always do england things.

I've got this in my simulator for the semis

Spain vs France
Austria vs England

Funnier things have happened before. England may just enter the final only to be beaten again. On german ground. LOL.

I want Georgia to meet Austria at one stage so I can write WWII related posts such as "It's the battle of Stalingrad all over again".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom