• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Different Gravy

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

View: https://youtu.be/STEkU1dxUOQ?si=5Ma4PF6brG_np8IJ

View: https://x.com/Watch_LFC/status/1823056811420799093?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1823056811420799093%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Now that Ryan Gravenberch looks like our potential starting #6 for the season, he deserves his own thread. What are your expectations, worries and predictions? Does he have what it takes to make this position his own?

When we were first linked with Gravvy, I described him as a “jack-of-all-trades” midfielder; someone who has some outstanding attacking, dueling and playmaking qualities, but at the time it was very unclear how those assorted qualities can be pieced together into one defined role. Now that I had more opportunities to watch him develop, it’s becoming clearer where his true “center of gravity” (pardon the unintentional pun) lies and I think generally it’s in playing deeper rather than more advanced. Midfielders with great touch and some dribbling and goal-scoring ability often start out playing in fairly attacking roles, but here are some hints that a player is better suited for a deep-lying role:

1. Body type. It's not an absolute rule, but generally it's more energy consuming to lug a big body around, making attacking run after attacking run. Whereas larger, lanky midfielders can often use their momentum to build a head of steam for rare, but highly effective runs from deep. Examples: Declan Rice, Emre Can, Yaya Toure.

2. Forward passing from deep. Sometimes, a player is so good at progressive passing that this side of their talent is wasted when playing further forward. Andrea Pirlo is a classic example. Gravenberch certainly has varied and reliable passing with both feet among his many qualities, however so far he hasn't demonstrated a real playmaker-like desire to get on the ball and control the game with his passing. His number of touches and passes per game has been on a low side for someone with his qualities. This area of his game could still develop or he could become someone like Yuri Thielemans – a quality secondary passer, but not exactly a playmaker. I think Lavia was in the same category when I was looking at his stats last summer.

3. Danger vs safety mindset – this is kind of subjective, but I think with many players you can feel whether they enjoy hurting the opposition with a moment of unorthodox thinking or with consistency and quality. Zubimendi was definitely the latter; with Gravenberch it's confusing because he has traits of both - his highlight reels are Pogba-like collections of audacious moments, making him look far better than he is - but I think in his recent friendly game appearances, I saw signs that he might really enjoy making safe, but consistently forward-looking passes, being a hub rather than tip of the spear. Also his dribbling style, while very eye-catching, seems to be more suited to elegantly evading pressure in the middle of the park rather than creating a shooting opportunity in the penalty box.

Why didn't he ever play as a DM for Klopp or Bayern (according to Tranfermarkt, he did play around 30 games as a DM for Ajax, although he was still probably the more attacking part of midfield duo with Klaasen)? I think part of it is obviously just being too inexperienced for that role – plus like I said earlier, many technically gifted midfielders start further forward before being moved back, like Gini or Fernandinho who played as an attacking midfielder for Shakhtar. It's also possible that Gravenberch's best position after all will be as a deep-lying LCM and that he will still perform better with a "true" #6 next to him (like Rice is better playing a bit ahead of Jorginho in big games, even though he can do the #6 role himself).

He’s shown flashes where he can be an absolute unit at protecting the ball. He can win the ball, pass it with the best of them and score the occasional banger. That’s just on some fleeting appearances.

I’ve always felt his lack of a pre-season at Bayern before coming here hurt his chances, that sprinkled with some injuries (fuck off chelsea you horrible rats for that tackle that was a red and a foul wasn’t given) meant he never got to show his real potential under Klopp. You don’t displace Davids as Ajax’s youngest ever player if you don’t have anything about you.

One thing I can agree with the leader of the sluts is that there is a Gravy train and we are both on board. CHOO CHOO.

IMG_9318.jpeg

Gravenberch often gets a tough ride because he looks older than he is, making it easy to forget how young he still is. It’s also easy to overlook that he lost nearly a year of his development at Bayern, so while we acquired a well-rounded and talented midfielder, he’s still a project in progress. I have always believed he would make it, at least to the level of consistently featuring as a first-team player, but things need to align for him. To some extent, I was disappointed that he didn't fully buy into Klopp’s approach. After a year in the wilderness, I was honestly hoping for more motivation from him to adapt to the demands of Klopp’s football. Ultimately, this lack of adaptation contributed to him finding himself on the bench towards the end of last season, even when he was fit.

As for this year, I can see how Slot’s football could benefit him. We will defend as a more compact unit, he’ll receive closer support from teammates, we’ll place a higher value on possession, and perhaps the Dutch/total football philosophy from his youth will resonate with him. There are two main concerns I have. First, he couldn’t make it work at Bayern, and Klopp, who is widely regarded as one of the best motivators in the game, couldn’t get him to fully embrace all facets of the game. If Slot asks something of Gravenberch that he doesn’t believe in or buy into, history suggests it won’t become a focus for him. My fear is that now he’s signed big contracts, he might feel his development is complete. We’ve seen this before, and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a concern.

Secondly, there’s the question of whether he has the resilience to endure the constant knocks, aches, and pains that come with playing regularly in the middle of the park. He hasn’t had much football over the last two years, which has its advantages, but he also needs a year of just keeping his head down, doing what’s asked of him, and pushing himself to perform effectively even when he’s bruised and not feeling it. The best thing he can do with this is connect with the crowd, similar to his Andy Robertson did when he was starting out. We all remember that time he pressed one player, then the next, then the next, all in a wild sprint, until he was rapidly closing the keeper down. Those moments matter more than the impact on tbe footballing field and Gravenberch needs to create some.

He did well, but it's on the opposition attack where his lack of natural defensive nous will be found out. Him and Trent were arguably at fault for the Sevilla goal, for example, for not being strong enough winning and clearing the ball. We need a 6, it's not really an experiment we should be having when its the one role we've clearly identified as a weakness. It's another cost cutting exercise and smacks of us having too many of the same type of midfielder and trying to accomodate them.

Gravenberch often gets a tough ride because he looks older than he is, making it easy to forget how young he still is. It’s also easy to overlook that he lost nearly a year of his development at Bayern, so while we acquired a well-rounded and talented midfielder, he’s still a project in progress. I have always believed he would make it, at least to the level of consistently featuring as a first-team player, but things need to align for him. To some extent, I was disappointed that he didn't fully buy into Klopp’s approach. After a year in the wilderness, I was honestly hoping for more motivation from him to adapt to the demands of Klopp’s football. Ultimately, this lack of adaptation contributed to him finding himself on the bench towards the end of last season, even when he was fit.

As for this year, I can see how Slot’s football could benefit him. We will defend as a more compact unit, he’ll receive closer support from teammates, we’ll place a higher value on possession, and perhaps the Dutch/total football philosophy from his youth will resonate with him. There are two main concerns I have. First, he couldn’t make it work at Bayern, and Klopp, who is widely regarded as one of the best motivators in the game, couldn’t get him to fully embrace all facets of the game. If Slot asks something of Gravenberch that he doesn’t believe in or buy into, history suggests it won’t become a focus for him. My fear is that now he’s signed big contracts, he might feel his development is complete. We’ve seen this before, and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a concern.

Secondly, there’s the question of whether he has the resilience to endure the constant knocks, aches, and pains that come with playing regularly in the middle of the park. He hasn’t had much football over the last two years, which has its advantages, but he also needs a year of just keeping his head down, doing what’s asked of him, and pushing himself to perform effectively even when he’s bruised and not feeling it. The best thing he can do with this is connect with the crowd, similar to his Andy Robertson did when he was starting out. We all remember that time he pressed one player, then the next, then the next, all in a wild sprint, until he was rapidly closing the keeper down. Those moments matter more than the impact on tbe footballing field and Gravenberch needs to create some.

I think I can answer your first concern; one of the perks of subscribing to LFC TV during the pre-season is seeing lots of tidbits about players as they go about their day and I have to say, from the moment Gravenberch came back to the training camp he looked super focused and with a chip on his shoulder. I think he has high ambitions for himself and surely what happened at Bayern and not fully winning over Klopp and then not playing a minute at the Euros brought it home to him that it’s now or never. So in that sense, I think the stars look nicely aligned with him potentially having a real path into the first team if he can take it.

Fully agree with your 2nd point. He needs to connect with the fans and then things will become a lot easier.

Coping mechanism thread.
We clearly were looking to spend 50 mill on someone we don’t need.

Are you employed by fsg?

Time to look forward. I think it'll be mostly a mix of Gravy and Jones playing deep alongside Mac Allister this season. Endo seems out of favour already with Slot - and given he had the full pre season that is quite telling.

I would love to back Jones. He needs time to find rhythm but one strength I always felt he had was press resistance. However one of his biggest weaknesses is passing - whether its decision making or reading the pace of the game. Slot said as much that he felt Jones slowed the game down.

I expect Gravenberch to start against Ipswich, and I am open and hopeful that he grasps the opportunity. I lambasted him at times last season when he just strolled around the pitch without a care in the world. Let's hope Slot can get him playing the way he wants, because Klopp certainly didn't get that from him last year.

Arne will light the fire up his arse that wasn’t there before - of that I am sure, not that Klopp couldn’t or wouldn’t but Arne comes across more of a guy who won’t go as nicey easy on the players. Technically he’s naturally very gifted, let the boy shine.

I think a good reference point for Gravenberch is Carrick. Carrick wasn't an elite level DLP like Alonso or Pirlo, but still a very effective metronomic no. 6 without having great defensive ability either.

I could buy the idea of Gravenberch nailing that sort of role than turning into the next Rodri or Busquets. With that said, I think a midfield setup like that still needs one player (a no. 8 instead of a no. 6 ) who does the defensive work of winning duels and tracking runners - a Mascherano or a Gattuso basically.

I like the idea of Ederson from Atalanta or Joao Gomes from Wolves as a defensive minded 8, if you're going to play Gravenberch as a 6.

I like Gravenberch, but does he really want to play in that position? I think he likes to play further forward.

But this does give me some hope:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/1er4pvp/gravenberch_and_zubimendi_comparison/

I think he is good at lots of things but an expert at none of them. He's both a 6 and an 8 and maybe hints of a 10.

Regardless, he's not in the first team, he's been floundering for two years. He doesn't have the right to decide where his best position is.

Time is ticking for boy wonder. Just play where Uncle Slot tells you to otherwise you'd soon find yourself playing for Brentford.

It’s weird how low his attempted passes total is. I think this is the main area of improvement, alongside off-the-ball work.
I noticed that too, but I think it could be a result of him being played further forward normally.

I think a good reference point for Gravenberch is Carrick. Carrick wasn't an elite level DLP like Alonso or Pirlo, but still a very effective metronomic no. 6 without having great defensive ability either.

I could buy the idea of Gravenberch nailing that sort of role than turning into the next Rodri or Busquets. With that said, I think a midfield setup like that still needs one player (a no. 8 instead of a no. 6 ) who does the defensive work of winning duels and tracking runners - a Mascherano or a Gattuso basically.

I like the idea of Ederson from Atalanta or Joao Gomes from Wolves as a defensive minded 8, if you're going to play Gravenberch as a 6.

Or Caqueret from Lyon. Although you have to say MacAllister also has a bit of steel in him, even though he’s not the biggest physically - statistically he is a high-volume tackler. Small nasty bulldog alongside a big happy bear could be a good pairing.

I noticed that too, but I think it could be a result of him being played further forward normally.

Even against Sevilla he had only 50-something passes in 80-odd minutes. You need more volume from your progressive #6.

The DM we have must have the capacity to operate a lone if need be and in the double pivot I would only trust Jones due to his supreme ball retention and recovery ability. Gravey is not quick to break up play or recover quickly after losing the ball, so no. As for Mac10, he really is not the guy, he cost us last season on more than one occasion by being indecisive and also holding onto the ball too long. You can see everytime Mac10 plays that position he is exhausted. The one thing that none of these guys have that Endo has is a 6th sense for the DM role in terms of tracking an opposition player to prevent dangerous build up.

Everyone keeps pointing out Slots like for a dynamic duo, but the reaility might be different for Slot when the going gets tough and I dont have faith in any of Curtis, Szobo, Mac10 and Gravey to protect our backline in the way a proper DM would.

Back
Top Bottom