• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Virgiling on the vandijkulous

City surely need to pay at least lip service to FFP ? They've spent an absolute fortune this window, already over £200m, can they really push it closer to £300m ?

This is the way I see it too. In his statement he basically made it clear he was open to offers from big ambitious clubs. We may be his preferred destination, but if he is faced with the choice (and it may be presented to him in this way) between staying or going to Chelsea or City, then he won't hang around in the hope that Southampton will relent and open negotiations with us. There is a massively poisonous feeling among the Saints fans against the club doing business with us. The only way he ends up at Liverpool is if no one else bids or we their heads with an offer outlandishly higher than Chelsea and City.

Point is it's pretty likely there won't now a bid from elsewhere. City dropped their interest in van Dijk early on because of (a) his price and (b) his insistence on coming to us. Chelsea's interest was sustained for longer, but they've now bought Rüdiger. It's not, to use Windom Earle's word, "outlandish" exactly to anticipate the kind of scenario you and he have described, but I suggest the evidence is against you both on this.

Point is it's pretty likely there won't now a bid from elsewhere. City dropped their interest in van Dijk early on because of (a) his price and (b) his insistence on coming to us. Chelsea's interest was sustained for longer, but they've now bought Rüdiger. It's not, to use Windom Earle's word, "outlandish" exactly to anticipate the kind of scenario you and he have described, but I suggest the evidence is against you both on this.
You've been so overly confident about this but I just don't share that view.
If you were a player (and bare in mind with a weaker, thicker mentality) and only had what seemed like two choices within only 1.5 weeks to make: stay at a club where you will now be hated by supporters, or go to a cash rich club that will pay you triple what you've been earning (and are always in the champions league and fighting for domestic league), I'm not sure you'd stick around for option 3 that might never come. You have to secure your future and City or Chelsea aren't bad ones.

In theory that's fair enough, but IMO in practice it overestimates (or doesn't even factor in) the likelihood, or lack of it, that there'll be bids from Chelsea or City at all. I've explained above why I see the possibility of such bids as being pretty remote.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying van Dijk will definitely come to us. What I'm saying is that a move to either of those other clubs (the only others being mentioned) looks a long way off as things currently stand, that this puts Southampton right on the spot if they don't want to lose a VERY large amount of money, and that ultimately it's money that will talk in the loudest voice, IMO of course.

I don't know where this situation is going but I'd put it out there that
  1. 70M for this cunt is madness, irrespective of the market. Given the way we operate, I'd question how much benefit we'd see anyway.
  2. That he wants to come to us, and only us, is delusional.

I hope you're right JJ.

You are right, City did seemingly lose interest at the price - but we don't know what the price was or whether the price will come down after all his agitating.

Regardless, swap City or Chelsea for any champions league club and Virgil will be off in a shot; he's made it clear he wants out and he wants to leave for a "top club". Our only hope is Southampton giving us the nod, otherwise player power fails again (and rightly so).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If we are 100% sure that he's the best CB in world football and will improve us immeasurably, then 70M is OK. If not, then, erm....
He doesn't have to be the best CB in the world, but he does have to be able to improve us immeasurably. He looks a good CB but whether he would improve us immeasurably i have no idea. Klopp seems pretty sold on him.

This is going to me like the Will.I.an thread isn't it. Prick teased all transfer window with the idea only for Chelsea to seal the deal

[article]Saints chairman Ralph Krueger has reiterated that Virgil van Dijk is not for sale and insists he will be welcomed back with “open arms” when he accepts the club’s decision.

The Dutch centre half is continuing to push for a move away from St Mary’s, having not backed down after issuing a request last week.

Saints have remained steadfast in their approach to van Dijk, and while the Daily Echo understands they are trailing Lazio defender Wesley Hoedt among others, it is as an addition to the squad rather than a replacement for their want away 26-year-old.

Krueger said: “Our stance remains based on our strategy from May when we spoke last.

“I already told you the numbers that we have transferred in and transferred out and it is time to stop that.

“We really thought this was a good summer for that. Strength of the contracts, age of the group and the experiences of last year like going to a cup final gave us the feeling this is a group that tasted that winning and keeping them together would give us the chance to reach another level.

“Virgil is not the only player that is involved in this he is part of the whole strategy of not selling. Nobody is for sale that we don't want to sell and so he is not for sale in this window. We have said it more than once.

“We are not done with the window yet. We are still looking at some options. I am not going to promise anything. It has got to be something that truly strengthens the squad and fits into our group.

“We are still looking and at the end of the transfer window we will see who we have and what we have.

“Mauricio has done an amazing job of dealing with this situation. It has not disrupted our team. It is not in any way caused a lack of focus in training, in the locker room, and of course everybody will open their arms when Virgil comes back and we go at it.”

Krueger was asked whether Saints would even turn down a ludicrous offer if one came in and replied: “I will tell you one thing - over the years we have spoken I don't give definite answers where there isn't a definite.

“With all the knowledge I have today and all the information I have on my plate right now my answer is we are carrying our strategy through the summer and that's it. “[/article]

Read what he said carefully, so not a definitive statement at all then :

Krueger was asked whether Saints would even turn down a ludicrous offer if one came in and replied: “I will tell you one thing - over the years we have spoken I don't give definite answers where there isn't a definite.

“With all the knowledge I have today and all the information I have on my plate right now my answer is we are carrying our strategy through the summer and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom