• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trent turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moaning about Trent is like moaning about how quick your Aston Martin is going round an off road assault course. Get us on the front foot again and we’re not going to give a shit.

We should sell the Aston Martin immediately and buy lots of eScooters.

Moaning about Trent is like moaning about how quick your Aston Martin is going round an off road assault course. Get us on the front foot again and we’re not going to give a shit.

Problem is, is it easier to trade the aston martin in for a land rover when thats what we need right now. All well and good on a motorway, but it's a long way back to the motorway

Problem is, is it easier to trade the aston martin in for a land rover when thats what we need right now. All well and good on a motorway, but it's a long way back to the motorway
It’s not. We bin off Trent then we will be stuck with a tractor at right back when the motorway is ready. The thing is everyone else in the team is stuck behind that bloody tractor.

Can we not just train him to be a better right back?
At our best, it's great to have a RB like Trent in our team. Problem is, when our midfield is dysfunctional and we're on the back foot he gets exposed.
We're not having the same issues with Robbo are we?
I still want Trent in the team but it's quite evident that he doesn't enjoy the defensive side of the game. Also, it's not like Trent is against playing in midfield. I actually think that's where he always wanted to play. It's unfair to compare him to Gerrard, but we didn't have an issue with him being moved to RB, CM, AM, DM and RM?

It’s not. We bin off Trent then we will be stuck with a tractor at right back when the motorway is ready. The thing is everyone else in the team is stuck behind that bloody tractor.

Perhaps we need to put the Aston martin in the garage until the motorway is ready.

Whilst i'm not saying we should bin trent off (because we shouldn't); we need a more than capable understudy for when we/he are going through the difficult patches. Look at robbo; his performance fell of a cliff and then we brought in Tsimi, who is a fucking BRILLIANT understudy. I want that for trent. As a club, we need that for trent. I hope Ramsay is that kid, but we're dealing with a lot of unknowns. As we're losing milner this year, it's basically gomez or ramsay as the backup. Dicey. Very dicey.

At our best, it's great to have a RB like Trent in our team. Problem is, when our midfield is dysfunctional and we're on the back foot he gets exposed.
I still want Trent in the team but it's quite evident that he doesn't enjoy the defensive side of the game. Also, it's not like Trent is against playing in midfield. I actually think that's where he always wanted to play. It's unfair to compare him to Gerrard, but we didn't have an issue with him being moved to RB, CM, AM, DM and RM?
Who plays in front in front of Trent and who does it for Robbo?

I think Fabio covers one of the reasons.

Perhaps we need to put the Aston martin in the garage until the motorway is ready.

Whilst i'm not saying we should bin trent off (because we shouldn't); we need a more than capable understudy for when we/he are going through the difficult patches. Look at robbo; his performance fell of a cliff and then we brought in Tsimi, who is a fucking BRILLIANT understudy. I want that for trent. As a club, we need that for trent. I hope Ramsay is that kid, but we're dealing with a lot of unknowns. As we're losing milner this year, it's basically gomez or ramsay as the backup. Dicey. Very dicey.

Id love us to take a more pragmatic approach which could include putting Trent on the bench. But Ramsay is dead. I did interpret your earlier post that you wanted to trade in Trent.

Our biggest problem all season has been the midfield getting passed by and sliced through by basically anyone who can run with the ball trough the middle. So the prolosed solution is to move a full back with positional issues there (because he "doesn't like to defend")?

Seeing as we don't seem to have any other right backs, why not move Fabinho in the Trent position while we're at it? He's having a difficult time in midfield because he doesn't like to run anymore and he used to play that role for Brazil so I think he'd be ace

Yeah but that's not the point. If he doesn't enjoy the defensive side of the game he's fucked, because everyone has to do it. If he's getting skinned in defence he'll just get skinned in midfield and our midfield getting bypassed is a huge contributor to our problems this year. Moving him into midfield is not going to compensate for Trent not being arsed, or lacking concentration or anything.

We're not having the same issues with Robbo, but most of the time Robbo has a consistent CB partner. Him and Trent are different players. But that's irrelevant anyway - my point is, if Trent isn't as good at defensive stuff, shouldn't the approach be to coach him, rather than just shunt him around to compensate?

Trent has been in the side since 17/18. 187 games, 11 goals and 47 assists. Insane attacking numbers. Just about nobody is even close.
Our defensive record as a team since 17/18 in conceded goals: 4th best in the league, 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st.

The statement that we cant defend or win anything with Trent at right back isnt correct.
Improve the midfield and team, continue to coach Trent and work with the team set up/tactics. But keep him at right back and continue to develop him at 24 years old.
Get a back up right back (hopefully Ramsey) that can share the workload and push his place in the team.

a full back that can cover both sides to challenge trent and robbo

this frimpong lad, or as i like to say, james justin
James Justin is out till the end of the season with an Achilles tendon rapture, and because his English and Leicester always ask 'top dollar' for their players, for me its too much of a risk

Yeah but that's not the point. If he doesn't enjoy the defensive side of the game he's fucked, because everyone has to do it. If he's getting skinned in defence he'll just get skinned in midfield and our midfield getting bypassed is a huge contributor to our problems this year. Moving him into midfield is not going to compensate for Trent not being arsed, or lacking concentration or anything.

We're not having the same issues with Robbo, but most of the time Robbo has a consistent CB partner. Him and Trent are different players. But that's irrelevant anyway - my point is, if Trent isn't as good at defensive stuff, shouldn't the approach be to coach him, rather than just shunt him around to compensate?

Nooooooo

That would be sensible.

This is not the way.

What we need to do is just believe that moving him to midfield will not only eradicate all his defensive decencies, but will increase his attacking output as well having a new super right back who can match his attacking output and defend!!!!

Simples!!!

This is the way!!!!

Trent has been in the side since 17/18. 187 games, 11 goals and 47 assists. Insane attacking numbers. Just about nobody is even close.
Our defensive record as a team since 17/18 in conceded goals: 4th best in the league, 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st.

The statement that we cant defend or win anything with Trent at right back isnt correct.
Improve the midfield and team, continue to coach Trent and work with the team set up/tactics. But keep him at right back and continue to develop him at 24 years old.
Get a back up right back (hopefully Ramsey) that can share the workload and push his place in the team.

fair points and I can see the logic in it but the difference now is that people are simply targeting our right flank and exposing its deficiencies as they know defence ain’t his forté. Having said that, I’ve seen green shoots in this respect over the last few games I think. But, would a better CM set up help? Absolutely. Why on earth we haven’t strengthened there all season I’ll never know. It’s a glaring issue.

Who plays in front in front of Trent and who does it for Robbo?

I think Fabio covers one of the reasons.

Id love us to take a more pragmatic approach which could include putting Trent on the bench. But Ramsay is dead. I did interpret your earlier post that you wanted to trade in Trent.
Yes, it's a problem that we don't have decent backup for Trent

They probably have coached him, I mean it wouldn't make sense if they haven't.

I disagree.

We need another a strong RB, even if it's just for competition sake to keep Trent from allowing his standards to slip. His workrate/attitude this season has been appalling at times and that stems from a lack of competition, in my opinion.

Even when we were great and the front foot, we didn't win the CL, because against a team like Real, you're simply not always going to be on the front foot and thus you need a FB to be able defend a Vini Jnr.

He said "strongest" and seemed to be alluding to body strength, not his actual ability to stop him from running circles around him.

However, Mitoma insists Alexander-Arnold is anything but a pushover, picking him out as one of the trickiest defenders he has come up against in his career. After name-dropping two players he faced during his time playing club football in Japan, the Brighton ace highlighted Alexander-Arnold's strength as one of his key assets.
"When it comes to foreign players, I got past Trent Alexander-Arnold once, but soon after that when I was blocked by him, his arms were strong," Mitoma told SPOTV, per Reddit. "People tend to think that his defending seems weak but he is totally strong, from what I've felt in person."

Physically he's strong yeah, if you show him too much of the ball or take a heavy touch he's got the physicality to shepherd it out of play,

His defending is anything but & pretty sure Mitoma doesn't watch Trent week in week out like we do.

It was more what he said. I think that Trent on the whole isnt a bad defender. Its more a concentration thing and making the right choices in certain situations.

However, Mitoma insists Alexander-Arnold is anything but a pushover, picking him out as one of the trickiest defenders he has come up against in his career. After name-dropping two players he faced during his time playing club football in Japan, the Brighton ace highlighted Alexander-Arnold's strength as one of his key assets.
"When it comes to foreign players, I got past Trent Alexander-Arnold once, but soon after that when I was blocked by him, his arms were strong," Mitoma told SPOTV, per Reddit. "People tend to think that his defending seems weak but he is totally strong, from what I've felt in person."

The article draws its own conclusions based off the comments from Mitoma.

Bare in mind, English is not Mitoma's first language.

Imagine the question was "Is Trent one of the weaker defenders you've come up against?"

And then just take his quotes, without the colour commentary from the writer.

"When it comes to foreign players, I got past Trent Alexander-Arnold once, but soon after that when I was blocked by him, his arms were strong,"

"People tend to think that his defending seems weak but he is totally strong, from what I've felt in person."

Talking about his arms and what he felt in person. I can imagine what Mitoma thought he was answering was somewhat lost in translation, in terms of what the author meant by "weak" and what Mitoma meant by "strong".

Physically he's strong yeah, if you show him too much of the ball or take a heavy touch he's got the physicality to shepherd it out of play,

His defending is anything but & pretty sure Mitoma doesn't watch Trent week in week out like we do.

Erm, I don't really think he's physically strong either.

Just about above average to be honest.

Physically strong defenders don't get bullied so much in the air (Mitrovic / Coquelin) or "bodied" by Kai Havertz (the lanky wuss) when they go shoulder to shoulder.

Kyle Walker is a physically strong. Reece James. AWB. Joe Gomez is.

Trent is pretty average.

FWIW, I'm not advocating for his sale, but he needs genuine competition like you wouldn't believe.

And moving positions is not a fix all solution either as his lazy attitude this year should NOT be rewarded with a "promotion" up the pitch, where you need to do even more running.

Physically strong defenders don't get bullied so much in the air (Mitrovic / Coquelin) or "bodied" by Kai Havertz (the lanky wuss) when they go shoulder to shoulder

Put both those goals down to lazy defending as he didn't even bother to contest.

Put both those goals down to lazy defending as he didn't even bother to contest.
Lazy defending would imply he knew he could do something about it and he just couldn't be arsed to do so.

I think it's more of a case of bad defending where he hasn't learned how to be cute and block a player effectively, when a ball is hung up to the back post like that.

You're either strong enough to jump with them and contest it physically (Ivanovic style). Or you're cute/smart enough to put off their jump by leaning into them at the right time. (Gary Neville style. Robbo does this).

Trent has been skinned by everyone since he had his dreadlocks style on.

Just recall the number of times he desperately try to drag down another winger who got past him. Yes, that's the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom