• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trent turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's reasonable to ask a player to make zero mistakes over 90mins - you expect the team as a whole to cover individual mistakes.

The problem is that some are worse / more infuriating than others. Take Elliot's shit crossfield pass (and subsequent failure to clear it on the first attempt) - for me that was the stand out "WTF ARE YOU DOING" moment in the game because it was so avoidable. On another day we might have gotten punished for it.
I think it's more of the fact that Trent often makes the same fundamental mistake of not keeping tight to players stealing in from his blind side that gets to me. Most of the time he doesn't even seem to know a player is there.

It doesn't matter how well he plays, a lapse like that, which could be easily rectified but he doesn't, and we will be a goal down. Then who knows what will happen? It's unnecessary and he is much better than that.

Players are allowed to make mistakes, and it would be churlish to expect otherwise. Consistently making the same mistakes however is different. With Trent, that's his weak point. Anything crossed back post more often than not he doesn't win, or doesn't fight for it. This has been, what, 4 years now?

Elliott has made a the same mistake a few games now, Where he tries an overly complex pass and just gives it away in the centre circle. Ideally, he'll learn and cut them out. Whether that's how he's been instructed to play, or is so focused on getting the team to attack I don't know.
Given his ball progression stats, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been tasked with that. Or at the very least, he's aware that this is an important element of his role and takes personal responsibility for it. Henderson doesn't seem to care much for ball progression these days and with no Thiago, *someone* needs to take responsibility or we just end up passing it in triangles at the back for prolonged periods.

Given his ball progression stats, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been tasked with that. Or at the very least, he's aware that this is an important element of his role and takes personal responsibility for it. Henderson doesn't seem to care much for ball progression these days and with no Thiago, *someone* needs to take responsibility or we just end up passing it in triangles at the back for prolonged periods.

No Thiago has actually coincided with our run in form ... He's brilliant but I don't think we can accommodate him and Trent ...

I think it's more of the fact that Trent often makes the same fundamental mistake of not keeping tight to players stealing in from his blind side that gets to me. Most of the time he doesn't even seem to know a player is there.

It doesn't matter how well he plays, a lapse like that, which could be easily rectified but he doesn't, and we will be a goal down. Then who knows what will happen? It's unnecessary and he is much better than that.

Yeah, I agree. Trent has seen an upturn in form and performances but as Holle pointed out about the Fernandes header Trent will still have those moments were he switches off. Luckily we didnt concede yesterday but on another day that header goes in.

We cant ask a player to be perfect during a game but at a minimum you have to check your blindside and be aware of whats going on around you.
If he loses the header but is involved in the situation then fair enough. That happens. But to not even be close to the player is unacceptable at this level and he can do much better.

No Thiago has actually coincided with our run in form ... He's brilliant but I don't think we can accommodate him and Trent ...
Yeah, he'd become a luxury the way we were performing, but I don't agree that we can't accommodate him if the other parts of the team are functioning normally. Our results with him playing were generally better before everything went to shit, and he's one of the few players in our midfield who's capable of making space for himself and finding a progressive pass. That was the point I was making about Elliot. In a midfield with Henderson and Fabinho, the onus is on him to try and create.

Liverpool restriction could *actually* turn Alexander-Arnold into world’s best right-back

Date published: Friday 10th March 2023 8:17 - Will Ford
2NGR0WH-1.jpg

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been forced to defend and do little else. He’s actually pretty good at it and when he’s granted attacking freedom again he should be better than ever.
Jurgen Klopp said after Liverpool’s drubbing of Manchester United that it was a result and performance of “last seasons”, back when Liverpool were quite brilliant and United really weren’t.
And there were some throwbacks – intensity, fine finishing, midfield swarming – but also notable differences, even from last season, when they doled out a 9-0 aggregate spanking of United across their two Premier League clashes.
Among the most remarkable differences, and this is far from a one-off this season, but was particularly stark given the flurry of goals, was the lack of attacking involvement of Trent Alexander-Arnold. No goals, no assists; not even a pre-assist.
Despite four of the seven goals coming from Liverpool’s right, Alexander-Arnold was nowhere to be seen, save for the seventh, in which he played no part but was on hand in the penalty area to celebrate with Roberto Firmino. By that juncture he could resist his curbed attacking urges no longer.
Alexander-Arnold averaged an assist every 3.5 games for Liverpool before this season, and has just three in 34 appearances in this curious campaign.
When previously he would be a short pass away from Mohamed Salah, poised in space behind him to deliver a pinpoint cross or ready at any moment to overlap, Alexander-Arnold was instead seemingly fused to Ibrahima Konate in the defensive line against Manchester United, like a table football full-back.
It can’t be an accident. Klopp has clearly told Alexander-Arnold to suppress his attacking compulsion.
It was necessary, and is clearly working in Liverpool’s favour. They scored seven goals, but also kept a clean sheet – their fifth on the bounce in the Premier League.
And Alexander-Arnold stood out, not for his brilliance in the attacking third, but for his tackling, sniffing-out of danger and positioning. Alexander-Arnold had an excellent game despite contributing so little, relatively, in attack. He was operating as a run-of-the-mill full-back, defending above all.

He’s good at it. The swathes of criticism weren’t aimed at him because he couldn’t defend, but because he didn’t.
Apparently, enough was enough for Klopp. And like a parent who’s told their child they can’t have pudding before they finish their main meal only to find carrots behind the radiator and the dog steadily putting on weight, Klopp has kept the ice cream firmly locked away in the freezer. Defending comes first – and recently for Alexander-Arnold – last as well.
Klopp had little choice. Alexander-Arnold is his only right-back and Liverpool need his defensive nous more than his swagger. In their pomp he often got away with being caught up field or failing to defend the back post effectively; Liverpool would often score more than the opposition anyway, and the centre-backs alongside him would inevitably save his blushes when his mind and body wandered.
For a while he was considered to be one of the best right-backs in the world, but the ‘attacking’ prefix had more recently become a requirement, with detractors reasonably pointing out that right-backs should at least try to defend.
It was evident on Sunday that Liverpool’s forwards are their strength. They would be even more prolific with Alexander-Arnold operating further up the pitch, but the team isn’t currently operating in ideal circumstances.
When Klopp gets a couple of midfielders, another centre-back and whatever else he requires to rebuild his team and squad, Alexander-Arnold can once again become the attacking force we have all drooled over for so long. This isn’t a permanent change.
But it should have a lasting effect, and that’s a huge positive for Liverpool, England and Alexander-Arnold himself. Having previously got away with not defending, he actually appears to begrudge the requirement less and less with each game of this stipulated fallow period.
And when he is granted the freedom to raid down the right once more, the experience of months of defending and little else will be ingrained. One of the world’s best attacking full-backs might be able to drop that ‘A’ word.

i was more disappointed with his attacking contributions actually
vinicius is a very tough opponent, and Ibou helped him out well.
They had decent control there, apart from a scare or two

Though I have berated Trent, it's Klopp who has failed time and again to protect the rightside.
Trent can be a creative outlet by moving him to RM. We are out of the the CL now, one game a week, so play Millie for few games at RB.

i was more disappointed with his attacking contributions actually
vinicius is a very tough opponent, and Ibou helped him out well.
They had decent control there, apart from a scare or two
Exactly. His crossing in the 2nd half made me sick

It's not just his play, it's his attitude too. It's like he doesn't care, doesn't believe any of it is his fault. The dirty looks he gives, the kiss of the teeth.
His general style of play is now lazier, I don't have stats but I'd say the amounts of runs he did compared to last season, he has probably seen the biggest drop off

Wait!... A who him a kiss him teeth after. Virgil..?? Vrigil should a box him in a him face...TAA too fast.

Seems to be back to his normal levels of attacking production at least after the World Cup. Now if only we could get someone to convert all these clear-cut chances…

I have no real problem with his attacking play. Where I have the problem is with his defensive part of his play.

It is all well saying that he created clear cut chance, but if you are guilty of making three or four mistake that lead to your opponents having four or five clear cut chances per game then as far as I see it your in defisit. He often shows no effort or intrest in getting back to help out. His first job is defending

I have no real problem with his attacking play. Where I have the problem is with his defensive part of his play.

It is all well saying that he created clear cut chance, but if you are guilty of making three or four mistake that lead to your opponents having four or five clear cut chances per game then as far as I see it your in defisit. He often shows no effort or intrest in getting back to help out. His first job is defending
That’s our problem. We are no longer a side that attacks 70% of the time. I can cope with his deficiencies in defence provided we are functioning going forward.

He got turned around alright....inside out like he always does against Vini.

Number of times this guy lunges in and gives away silly fouls......some things just cannot be coached out a player.

Last edited:
You're really asking that to try tempt me into justifying for the fact Trent is a lazy fucking defender?

How many players does Dwight Mcneil make to look stupid? Can only think of 1.

Anyway ramble over, couple weeks no football will do us some good.

No. It’s pointing out that a top player can beat a right back which is normal to watch. We’ve had solid right backs in the past like Finnan and Clyne yet we never reached the heights as when we’ve had Trent playing there.

Martinelli
Grealish/Foden
Mitoma
Allan Saint-Maximin
Son Heung-min
Mudryk/Sterling
Zaha
Gray
Gnonto
Neto/Troare

... wingers from other 10 sides I wouldn't back TAA in a 1 v 1 battle against.

By that measure we need another RB for the games we're not dominating.

Martinelli
Grealish/Foden
Mitoma
Allan Saint-Maximin
Son Heung-min
Mudryk/Sterling
Zaha
Gray
Gnonto
Neto/Troare

Frimpong can play RB or RM, these are his stats. His also Dutch, which will sit well with out Sporting Director and Klopp's Number 2, Pep L.

[xtable=skin1|198x150]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Played as...{/th}
{th} GP{/th}
{th}G {/th}
{th} A{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Right Midfield{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right-Back{/td}
{td}13{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Last edited:
Martinelli
Grealish/Foden
Mitoma
Allan Saint-Maximin
Son Heung-min
Mudryk/Sterling
Zaha
Gray
Gnonto
Neto/Troare

Didnt Mitoma say he’s one of the most difficult to play against?

a full back that can cover both sides to challenge trent and robbo

this frimpong lad, or as i like to say, james justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom