• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Curious Case of the ACM who thought he was a CDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
So Alexi?

What’s the verdict. Do we think Klopp is planning to keep him there permanently?

Will Endo establish himself freeing him up to move further up?

Where do we think Klopps sees his long term future?

It’s arguably the biggest headache after Trent at RB we have now.

His composure to play the ball out deep in our half, even under heavy pressure, stands out for me. It kicked started a number of attacks leading to goals for us.

I think he is doing a pretty good job. He has looked leggy at times due to the internationals but you can see why Klopp plays him there.

His composure to play the ball out deep in our half, even under heavy pressure, stands out for me. It kicked started a number of attacks leading to goals for us.

I think he is doing a pretty good job. He has looked leggy at times due to the internationals but you can see why Klopp plays him there.
It's also led to us conceding a load of chances and conceding virtually every game, so there is a need right now to play Endo there and let Mac play as the left sided 8 where he'll no doubt be most comfortable.

Endo is always looking for that forward pass and he gives it away a lot less than Mac in that position. I see no reason right now as to why we should change the midfield shape what it was at Sheffield.

I think people seriously undervalue the difficulty of his current assignment – he is asked to be the anchor a brand new midfield and his double-pivot partner is Trent who is a free-spirited playmaker switching between two positions and himself learning the midfield trade. And to his left most often is Gravenberch who is also kind of a free-spirited playmaker, getting used to the league.

Overall, Macca has done remarkably well to hold it all together, while sacrificing the creative aspects of his own game to an extent (although sometimes he still takes risks a #6 shouldn't take). He's a new Milner and Lallana in one – and also a bit of a Lucas in terms of looking after our South American contingent. Players like this are golden and there is no wonder why Klopp loves him, despite most of his contributions not showing up on the stat sheet.

I think he will flourish even more when some of our injury absentees return – if I'm right about the plan for Bajcetic or Bradley playing at RB/CM starting early next year, that will give Alexis a more reliable defensive partner and allow him to play with a bit more freedom while nominally remaining a #6. And if Thiago miraculously recovers, playing next to him will be a lot easier than babysitting kids. Macca's one serious shortcoming is lack of recovery pace, which is why I'm not so keen on him playing much further forward – #6 is the one position where you can get away with being slow.

Last edited:
I think people seriously undervalue the difficulty of his current assignment – he is asked to be the anchor a brand new midfield and his double-pivot partner is Trent who is a free-spirited playmaker switching between two positions and himself learning the midfield trade. And to his left most often is Gravenberch who is also kind of a free-spirited playmaker, getting used to the league.

Overall, Macca has done remarkably well to hold it all together, while sacrificing the creative aspects of his own game to an extent (although sometimes he still takes risks a #6 shouldn't take). He's a new Milner and Lallana in one – and also a bit of a Lucas in terms of looking after our South American contingent. Players like this are golden and there is no wonder why Klopp loves him, despite most of his contributions not showing up on the stat sheet.

I think he will flourish even more when some of our injury absentees return – if I'm right about the plan for Bajcetic or Bradley playing at RB/CM starting early next year, that will give Alexis a more reliable defensive partner and allow him to play with more freedom while nominally remaining a #6. And if Thiago miraculously recovers, playing next to him will be a lot easier than babysitting kids. Macca's one serious shortcoming is lack of recovery pace, which is why I'm not so keen on him playing much further forward – #6 is the one position where you can get away with being slow.

I agree with all those points 100%, the only thing I will add is that he strikes me as a player who seems to get exhausted quite quickly - but that could be due to the stress of playing him where he is not used to and he is doing more running than he has done previously. I think he is a brilliant player though - if I was to describe his role - in a three man midfield - he is the one that can connect the dots the best between a CDM, and the attacking players in our team.

I agree with all those points 100%, the only thing I will add is that he strikes me as a player who seems to get exhausted quite quickly - but that could be due to the stress of playing him where he is not used to and he is doing more running than he has done previously. I think he is a brilliant player though - if I was to describe his role - in a three man midfield - he is the one that can connect the dots the best between a CDM, and the attacking players in our team.

That's a good point and I noticed it too – after 60 minutes he's often gassed and needs subbing. I think it will be less of a problem with time; this is what top club fitness department is for.

Go to youtube and look up Bajcetic highlights.
That should be enough of a reminder of how it looks to have a young, dynamic and quick DM on the pitch.
It's almost tragic that we've only seen him appear twice so far this season.

Go to youtube and look up Bajcetic highlights.
That should be enough of a reminder of how it looks to have a young, dynamic and quick DM on the pitch.
It's almost tragic that we've only seen him appear twice so far this season.

Yeah, but Bajcetic is not ready to be the anchor of the team yet – even though long-term that's where his skillset lies. But he'll be awesome in the RB/CM hybrid role, a lot more disciplined than Trent.

Yeah, but Bajcetic is not ready to be the anchor of the team yet – even though long-term that's where his skillset lies. But he'll be awesome in the RB/CM hybrid role, a lot more disciplined than Trent.
I honestly don't think that if Trent gets a permanent position in midfield that we'll continue with the hybrid role.

How often has Badger actually played as a DM?

I honestly don't think that if Trent gets a permanent position in midfield that we'll continue with the hybrid role.

I heard a pretty convincing argument on BloodRed podcast, that basically Klopp always likes to have 4 players in midfield in order to control the game. It used to be Bobby dropping deep, then with Nunez playing differently Klopp started using the RB as a 4th midfielder. So as long as Nunez remains our main striker, the RB/CM (or LB/CM potentially) is likely to stay.

How often has Badger actually played as a DM?
This what I got from Transfermarkt. It includes games for the reserves too.
3d40f18e73864a75cc00f0119efacd9d.jpg

This what I got from Transfermarkt. It includes games for the reserves too.
3d40f18e73864a75cc00f0119efacd9d.jpg

I’s be pretty confident he’s had very few senior games as a DM.

That’s not to say he won’t - but he hasn’t played many games there so far.

I’s be pretty confident he’s had very few senior games as a DM.

That’s not to say he won’t - but he hasn’t played many games there so far.
Tbf he just emerged last season so naturally he wouldn't have that many games, but the only way to get experience is by playing. He's only 19 years old.

Play Endo, so that Mac can Play higher up The pitch.
Grav should be szobo back up. Jones The back up for Mac

I'm happy with Mac. He's had the toughest of all the inductions into Klopp Liverpool and he's done everything asked of him. Mac Allister will not walk into a best eleven if Klopp signs a top-class six (and he should), but as an all-round CM who can rotate between all midfield positions, there's little doubt Mac Allister will be considered an excellent signing and be a Klopp favourite. I would expect the midfield to improve both as a collective and individually over the next 2-3 years, and the exciting thing is they are already looking like a unit that can be considered title challengers in their first year.

Having the likes of Gravenberch Szoboslai and Trent freed up by an athletic and dominant six remains a key milestone for this squad winning the biggest honors. We may have enough without - but it will never be as commanding as it could be.

Tbf he just emerged last season so naturally he wouldn't have that many games, but the only way to get experience is by playing. He's only 19 years old.

Totally agree - my memory is he played in more the 8 positions as a replacement for Hendo or Thiago last season - which would have been before Curtis got over his injury issues.

I really do think his way into the team is RB, playing in the Trent role - either rotation or Trent moving to another role.

Then after some game time he’ll play more as a DM.

I agree, when he gets fit, he needs game time.

Actually would be against him going out on loan to someone like Brighton next season if it makes sense.

Bajetic was excellent for us as a dm last season.

When he's back it remains to be seen if he's better because physically he's a year older, or if the break has stunted his development.

Either way, I think he will be ready to anchor our midfield in the near future. Whether he gets that chance or not I'm not sure

Bajetic was excellent for us as a dm last season.

When he's back it remains to be seen if he's better because physically he's a year older, or if the break has stunted his development.

Either way, I think he will be ready to anchor our midfield in the near future. Whether he gets that chance or not I'm not sure

Thats’s what I’m trying to say - it’s an absolute myth that Badger was “excellent at DM” - because he didn’t play as a DM.

Transfermarkt has his total time clocked as a DM last season at 19 minutes as 2 sub appearances against Chelsea (0-0) & Wolves (lost 3-0).

All his substantive appearances were as a CM - were he was good, but also where we’re now well stocked.

Again, that’s not to say he won’t play at DM - but he hasn’t much senior experience there as a single 6.

Last edited:
Am I misreading it, but the chart seems to say he played dm 21 times?

Thats’s what I’m trying to say - it’s an absolute myth that Badger was “excellent at DM” - because he didn’t play as a DM.

Transfermarkt has his total time clocked as a DM last season at 19 minutes as 2 sub appearances against Chelsea (0-0) & Wolves (lost 3-0).

All his substantive appearances were as a CM - were he was good, but also where we’re now well stocked.

Again, that’s not to say he won’t play at DM - but he hasn’t much senior experience there as a single 6.

I must have a shit memory, because in my mind he replaced Fabinho for a sequence of games and did well.

But my mind can be a shadowy and empty space.

I thought he came in for Fabinho and played about 5 games as DM. When Fabinho came back, Bajcetic stayed in and played about another 5 games elsewhere in the midfield.

I thought he came in for Fabinho and played about 5 games as DM. When Fabinho came back, Bajcetic stayed in and played about another 5 games elsewhere in the midfield.

He did, and played very well if I remember correctly;

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}21{/td}
{td}1/21/23{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(7.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Chelsea (11.){/td}
{td}0:0{/td}
{td}DM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}34'{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}82'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}22{/td}
{td}2/4/23{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(8.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Wolves (16.){/td}
{td}3:0{/td}
{td}DM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}77'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}23{/td}
{td}2/13/23{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(8.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Everton (18.){/td}
{td}2:0{/td}
{td}CM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}90'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}24{/td}
{td}2/18/23{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(7.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Newcastle (4.){/td}
{td}0:2{/td}
{td}CM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}59'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}25{/td}
{td}2/25/23{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(7.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Crystal Palace (12.){/td}
{td}0:0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}6'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}3/1/23{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(6.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Wolves (16.){/td}
{td}2:0{/td}
{td}CM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}15'{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}79'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}26{/td}
{td}3/5/23{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(7.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Man Utd (3.){/td}
{td}7:0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}12'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}27{/td}
{td}3/11/23{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}(7.){/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Bournemouth (19.){/td}
{td}1:0{/td}
{td}CM{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}88'{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

He did play well. My assumption this season was that we were probably expecting to still have Fabinho as first choice and give Bajcetic more games as well.

Obviously that plan went very wrong with Fabinho deciding he liked money and Bajcetic being injured.

Hence, Mac Allister at DM and buying Endo.

Yeah, I think Transfermarkt got it wrong.

In that case I stand corrected - if I’m mistaken… but

v Bournemouth - N/A - Replaced Hendo with 21 minutes to go - we were 7-0 up - he could have put his slippers on, grabbed an armchair & read the newspaper.

v Villa - CM -replaced Hendo with 11 minutes to go & scored - Fabs played full match - win

v Leicester - CM - replaced Harvey with 4 mins to go - Hendo played at DM - no idea if they swapped - win

v Chelsea - played 82 mins at DM before being subbed off for Fabs - draw

v Wolves - played 77 mins at DM before being replaced by Harvs - loss

v Everton - CM - subbed by Keita in the dying minutes - Fabs played full game - win

v Newcastle - subbed off for Milner after 59 mins - Fabs played full game - win

v Palace - N/A - came on for Gakpo for last 5 mins - Hendo played at DM - draw

v Wolves CM - subbed off for Hendo after 79 mins - Fabs played full game - win

v Man Utd - CM - came on for last 13 mins for Hendo - Fabs played full game - we were 4-0 & Utd had downed tools.

v Bournemouth - played 88 mins before being subbed for Carvalho - Fabs played 65 mins at DM before being subbed for Hendo - couldn’t tell you who played where for the 20 odd mins Hendo was on for Fabs.

Now… these are all from Transfermarkt - but it sort of tallies with my memory.

He did play 2 League Cup games and 2 FA Cup games at DM which would have been in this run - certainly the FA Cup games would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom