• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The curious case of the RB who thought he was a CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries and a good run in the three cups would need a full complement. I'm sure he'll get games if he get's match fit. He will do at some point surely!
Thiago? There has to be a crisis for him to bypass everyone and suddenly start games for us

i don't think klopp had the plan, but may be strong armed in to it via performances of trent.

I still think Szob will move to the right eventually

The performances of Trent in his current role and success of the team will most likely see him continue as RB.

RW

When Salah goes, we've potentially got a ready made, quick, dribbly, shooty performer in Szob.

It'd explain the imbalance in the number of 8's we bought in the summer
I'd rather we buy a proper right winger and move Szobo to the LCM position.

I'd rather we buy a proper right winger and move Szobo to the LCM position.

It just becomes a matter of "who?". There's not many that fit the profile. Either they're too raw or too apprehensively expensive. Szob is more than capable there until we find someone appropriate

It just becomes a matter of "who?". There's not many that fit the profile. Either they're too raw or too apprehensively expensive. Szob is more than capable there until we find someone appropriate
As a temp replacement sure.

Szobo is made for the RCM role. He’s bossing it already. No need for a change.
I think we'd get more out of him playing him in another position, atm he's playing in the Trent babysitting role.
I don't think he enjoys it.

And also, if you're stepping in to the RW role after Salah, you're gonna need some fucking bravado and confidence. He has that in spades

I really don't see him as a wide forward although during AFCON I guess I wouldn't mind him filling in. I know we haven't seen the best of him in the last 3-4 games but at the start in that role he was arguably our MOTM or up there with the top performers for 5-6 games in a row.

We have too many midfielders who are better offensively than defensively and that's the truth so it upsets our rhythm when we're having Trent/Mac/Szobo all carrying out defensive duties....maybe give Szobo a free role.

I think we'd get more out of him playing him in another position, atm he's playing in the Trent babysitting role.

If he really isn't enjoying it, he was stupid to come to liverpool. It's hard to be a midfielder here, and it's hardest on the right, because of how Salah and Trent work, and how they don't. It could be really fun too, if we ever really start humming.

Thats a bit weird though given his stats and his overall enjoyment about playing in that Liverpool role from various interviews.
He's the perfect midfielder for a box to box / 8 in Liverpool 2.0. Fuck sticking him out on the wing.

Why is it "sticking him on the wing" in a pejorative tone?

Some of our more scintillating and explosive plays in recent years have come from the wing? If the role of the 8 tones down his creativity and effectiveness towards goal; why is it sacrilegious to consider him viable on the wing?

We've gone from having no midfield to having too many midfielders. Did Klopp really plan to make Trent a midfielder this season?

How do we fit Szobo, Macca, Gravy, Trent and the mystery DM in the same midfield?
Unless...
We won't buy a DM...
Half will be injured by Jan 1.

A few thoughts on Trent’s potential role in midfield.

Klopp is trying to downplay this question for now, saying it has to do more with who we have available at RB etc, which I’m sure is partly true - when Bradley and Bajcetic are back and pushing for minutes at RB, it will be a lot easier to shift Trent to the middle than now when the only alternative is Gomez. Still, no matter what Klopp says, when or if it happens it will be a momentous decision that will have a lot of downstream effects throughout the side, some good and some rather problematic.

Personally I like the idea of keeping Macca or Endo at #6 to protect and complement Trent whose role as a midfield playmaker/controller lends itself to LCM in Klopp’s system, similarly to how Thiago played it. Trent at #6 will be way too disruptive; Trent at LCM will work and could even prove to be a revelation. Think of a far more mobile and agile Thiago who is also a goal-scoring threat and creates a lot more chances for teammates rather than just focuses on controlling the game. Yes, Trent still has a lot to learn about many aspects of midfield craft, but I think he will learn (and is already learning) extremely quickly because he clearly has a burning passion for it. The sooner any connection to his old RB role is severed, the quicker he will improve as a midfielder.

Unfortunately Trent’s permanent shift into midfield, if it happens, will mean we have probably bought one midfielder too many this summer and will be bad news for Gravenberch in particular. One upside of this reshuffling will be that our right side will probably be a lot more solid with Trent playing elsewhere; Bajcetic or Bradley will have enough energy and stamina to help out in midfield and cover at RB as necessary, so Szoboszlai will not need to do as much defensive work as he’s doing now. And yes, I think at this point Klopp will keep the hybrid role for whoever plays at RB; now I realize this is a tactical shift that’s not Trent-specific - “box midfield” is here to stay.

Another downside - and that’s going to be quite a headache for Klopp - is that Trent will need to roam all over the pitch in order to escape the man-markers and to create new angles for his passes. So that’s going to pull our midfield shape all over the place and all of the other midfielders will have to have superhuman positional instincts to make sure there are no giant holes in the formation whenever the ball is lost. Fortunately I think both Macca and Endo have good positional sense, which is why one of them will need to play alongside Trent at all times. I think Gravenberch + Trent is bad and Jones + Trent is probably meh. Still, incorporating a free-spirited playmaker into Klopp’s structured midfield set-up will be a huge challenge and something Klopp has never done before. I can understand why he will not jump into it until time is right and all the pieces are ready.

Potential formation and options:

————[RCB]————[LCB]————-
—-Bajcetic/Bradley/Gomez————[LB]
———-———Alexis/Endo——————
—-Szobo/Elliott——-Trent/Gravy/Jones-

Last edited:
Trent in midfield will be Liverpool 3.0. I dont think it will happen during this Klopp rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom