• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The curious case of the RB who thought he was a CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So give up the crosses from Trent by playing him at LCM?

He can cross or dink the ball from anywhere and this will give him more angles to work with. Only a small % of his assists have been the classic fullback crosses from the right flank near the corner flag.

Last edited:
Someone posted stats on here, it seems tje number of crosses has gone down but number of chances created had remained a constant. Seems like an evolution of Trent to suit all parties is under way?

no wonder he is miserable all the time

Liverpool star Trent Alexander-Arnold still lives at home and helps parents with the dishes

406206191_120201788883420149_1306717011805372990_n.jpg

Someone posted stats on here, it seems tje number of crosses has gone down but number of chances created had remained a constant. Seems like an evolution of Trent to suit all parties is under way?

There was another stat on one of the podcasts that basically showed that the more touches Trent has on the ball, the more goal-scoring chances he creates, it’s almost perfectly correlated. Seems like a pretty obvious stat, but I don’t think this is necessarily true of every player.

Anyway, in Trent’s case the way I understood it is if he has 100 touches playing as a midfielder and let’s say 65 touches at full-back, this means he will create roughly one third more goal-scoring chances in the position that allows him to have one third more touches. Or to put it even more simply, the more we can give him the ball, the better.

Last edited:
I wonder how this is all going to play out.

We’ve got a pretty fluid system at the minute - When Trent moved infield from RB, Slobbers has to provide the width and get high outside Salah on the right.

When Trent goes high wide right, you see Slobbers dropping deep to almost that second pivot/6 role.

Trent is sometimes sitting between the CBs, plugging that gap, which allows the LB to get forward and also means the DM can push forward to offer a high counter press if Trent’s sitting really deep.

I think all that changes and we become less fluid if you move Trent into an 8 position - we might become more solid and more structured, but also more one dimensional.

The problem is, the current system is almost too fluid because each component needs to move corresponding to each other - so where Trent goes, impacts what Slobbers does, which impacts what Salah can do, which impacts where Nunez needs to be, which impacts what space Diaz has, which impacts where Jones/Gravy need to be, etc, etc, etc.

I don’t think it’s clicked entirely this season yet - I put that down to new players coming into the midfield - it has it periods.

It’s almost like a Total Football 2.0, Klopp style - and it’s design, I guess to be less predictable - but because the team is still coming together, it’s got too many gaps.

The big question will come when Salah moves on and who or more specifically what we replace him with.

Look at Slobbers as well, he started at RCM and ended up playing Wide Left in the forward line.

We’ve got a lot of players that can slot into different roles - that must be a nightmare for opposition teams to plan for.

So surely his little moon was something he planned with his mates? It was too obvious to not be a set up?

Agree.

At RW he has the freedom that Mo has. He'd love that shit

The thing is, he's a much better fit in RCM. The stats show what an amazing box to box player he is and when you factor in that he has created the 6th most chances in the league as well. Then, what a signing and RCM we have already. A player like this who can contribute both ways both defensively and attacking wise needs to be in midfield, not out on the wing imho.

GAvp2YJXgAAQguE

The thing is, he's a much better fit in RCM. The stats show what an amazing box to box player he is and when you factor in that he has created the 6th most chances in the league as well. Then, what a signing and RCM we have already. A player like this who can contribute both ways both defensively and attacking wise needs to be in midfield, not out on the wing imho.

GAvp2YJXgAAQguE

Equally though, we had mane Bobby and Salah winning the ball from a high press with great success.

While he's tearing up on the wing, who's to stop mac and grav being that type of player? Grav in particular absolutely is box to box, like szob, but not as flair or clinical as szob either. We've built strongly and deeply in the 8 position; so I see no harm in giving szob an audition on the right during AFCON, and then we could be saving millions in a very difficult area, should Salah leave in the summer. If it doesn't work, well we still needed someone to play on the right. If it does, that's a sensational bit of fortune

The issue isn't so much "we're losing szob on the middle" as much as "no one can replace Salah"

Has to be said that during the last week Trippier and Walker have been having a mare. Trippier at fault for maybe 5-6 goals against Everton and Spurs.
James out with yet another injury after some awful defending prior to that.

I dont see much focus on Trippiers poor defending in the media. Imagine that being Trent....

Not hugely following this thread but I think we have seen enough to realise that we need to start Trent in one of the midfield roles, and play an actual width providing full back in the RB starting slot.

For home games, I would be comfortable with Trent starting in the DM role. I could see Trent, Alexis & Szob being a tasty midfield trio. Less certain away from home, but that is because we need to test it out.

Not hugely following this thread but I think we have seen enough to realise that we need to start Trent in one of the midfield roles, and play an actual width providing full back in the RB starting slot.

For home games, I would be comfortable with Trent starting in the DM role. I could see Trent, Alexis & Szob being a tasty midfield trio. Less certain away from home, but that is because we need to test it out.

Agreed, I don't think DM is the right position for him in midfield.

No no!!! a thousand times no.

The reason Klopp started getting Trent to move infield is because the high full back providing width thing was leaving us horribly exposed at the back and was exploited time and time again by opposition.

We have scored the most goals, have the most points and conceded the fewest goals in the league after 16 games. Why would you change his role now when its clearly working?

I leave this here
Screenshot-2023-12-11-122654.png

This was 2 years ago when you asked this.......we still had a workhorse midfield of Fab Hendo and Milner to cover for him so there was no need then.....that season Trent played a full season at RB & we came close to winning it all.

Once that midfield broke down it was clear things had to change, not before. If you asked if November 2022 then you'd be getting a blowjob.

& no as bad as Trent is defensively, Neco isn't better.

This was 2 years ago when you asked this.......we still had a workhorse midfield of Fab Hendo and Milner to cover for him so there was no need then.....that season Trent played a full season at RB & we came close to winning it all.

Once that midfield broke down it was clear things had to change, not before. If you asked if November 2022 then you'd be getting a blowjob.

& no as bad as Trent is defensively, Neco isn't better.
http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/thre...the-counter-missing-gini.178825/#post-2078745
We had just let Gini go, and had issues in our MF. I gave a solution and you jumped on my neck. I only bought this thread up because now you're saying he was always a CM who just happened to be playing at RB.
I said it back then that Trent was not good at defending... and many of our defeats came from opponents targeting our right-side. Moving him to MF made sense to me. Back then I saw him doing the #8 role and now its more of a RCM/#6

We have scored the most goals, have the most points and conceded the fewest goals in the league after 16 games. Why would you change his role now when its clearly working?

Because more than once we have only ended up getting those goals and points by bringing on a RB (see - Fulham and Palace games).

No no!!! a thousand times no.

The reason Klopp started getting Trent to move infield is because the high full back providing width thing was leaving us horribly exposed at the back and was exploited time and time again by opposition.

We are getting more exposed by having our full back in CM than we ever were by having an RB up the pitch.

Because more than once we have only ended up getting those goals and points by bringing on a RB (see - Fulham and Palace games).

I think Klopp was more forced into those changes given minutes and personnel available rather than some long term plan to bring Trent into midfield.
Fwiw, I'd be extremely vary of doing a tactical and position change of that magnitude mid season when things are clearly working. I'd rather have Trent as a possibility when/if we need it then a permanent move. He's World class at what he does now. Let him and the team continue rather than a mini rebuild which could see both the midfield and right back not working.

I'd love for Klopp to explain why he has this set up and why its beneficial for both the team and Trent to continue. As I imagine he has a lot of good tactical points that we cant even comprehend about the playing style and what it means for the team in general.

http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/thre...the-counter-missing-gini.178825/#post-2078745
We had just let Gini go, and had issues in our MF. I gave a solution and you jumped on my neck. I only bought this thread up because now you're saying he was always a CM who just happened to be playing at RB.
I said it back then that Trent was not good at defending... and many of our defeats came from opponents targeting our right-side. Moving him to MF made sense to me. Back then I saw him doing the #8 role and now its more of a RCM/#6
Lol someone is keeping receipts

I think Klopp was more forced into those changes given minutes and personnel available rather than some long term plan to bring Trent into midfield.
Fwiw, I'd be extremely vary of doing a tactical and position change of that magnitude mid season when things are clearly working. I'd rather have Trent as a possibility when/if we need it then a permanent move. He's World class at what he does now. Let him and the team continue rather than a mini rebuild which could see both the midfield and right back not working.

I'd love for Klopp to explain why he has this set up and why it’s beneficial for both the team and Trent to continue. As I imagine he has a lot of good tactical points that we cant even comprehend about the playing style and what it means for the team in general.

Things aren’t clearly working. But we are winning despite the obvious flaws.

Some would say our teething problems comes from doing a midfield rebuild during the season.
Being top of the league when things arent working is quite the achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom