• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The curious case of the RB who thought he was a CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but you could also argue that England might have won something if they picked Trent at RB more often.

Trent wouldn’t be the first Liverpool player to flourish at club level and not either flourish or be a regular at international level - Barnes, Fowler, McManaman, McMahon to name a few, for example.

Respectfully, Stevie, you could argue anything, mate... Southgate's teams haven't done too badly recently, so it's hard to second guess him too much (know I know people do, and I understand why, etc... I just don't care, being a Dub! ;)), and I truly believe that Walker is a generational talent at RB anyway, so our Trent isn't actually being done wrong here, imo... He's just not as good at that position as his direct opposition.

Respectfully, Stevie, you could argue anything, mate... Southgate's teams haven't done too badly recently, so it's hard to second guess him too much (know I know people do, and I understand why, etc... I just don't care, being a Dub! ;)), and I truly believe that Walker is a generational talent at RB anyway, so our Trent isn't actually being done wrong here, imo... He's just not as good at that position as his direct opposition.

I’m not arguing that Walker hasn’t been an exceptional player - but there’s all sorts of things I’d point to there - like, at 25, Trent has played more for England that Walker did, played more Premier League games, won more and has already scored more and (haven’t checked, but pretty certain) created more assists than Walker ever will do.

Walker’s main asset is his pace, he’s a cracking player, otherwise he wouldn’t have played for this City team for so long. - but if he’s a generational talent, then I don’t know what you describe Trent as because his numbers are just off the scale.

I genuinely don’t get it this argument m, probably in much the same way as @Fabio although probably from the opposite side.

Yeah he’s shit at defending - he loses too many individual battles, losing concentration too much, gets caught out of position, loses his man too often to be considered a defensive god - but the flip side is he’s more creative, than any other RB… I mean.. ever.

This is the sort of player we’ve been crying out for, for decades.

Everything is deeper. There are fewer moves where he has ended up in the box to finish with a simple cross. There are fewer crosses that are overlapped.

Again, I'm fine with it, but if he can do more damage being wider, we should switch to doing that. The whole point should be flexibility, and having their CBs wondering where the fuck the ball is coming from next, not letting their fullback double and come narrow. When they zig we should zag.
I am ok with Trent sticking to his hybrid role. You win some and you lose some. He did play that pass to Nunez from the middle for our first against Brentford which few players (in our team at least) can execute. He still needs to defend as a RB, which I thought he has done reasonably well so far this season.

The only problem I have is him thinking he can play in a midfield creator role like Bellingham or De Bruyne even though have seen no evidence he can play in midfield to that level.

I am ok with Trent sticking to his hybrid role. You win some and you lose some. He did play that pass to Nunez from the middle for our first against Brentford which few players (in our team at least) can execute. He still needs to defend as a RB, which I thought he has done reasonably well so far this season.

The only problem I have is him thinking he can play in a midfield creator role like Bellingham or De Bruyne even though have seen no evidence he can play in midfield to that level.
Bellingham and De Bruyne are totally different kinds of midfielders to the kind of midfield role Trent seems to be aiming for though. Isn't he more interested in the regista style, deep-lying playmaker role? I may be missing something. Does Southgate play him as an attacking midfielder?

Feels like Trent was playing in midfield in the second half. Too many Matip vs Doku situations.

Klopp is pretty clear about the reason why he resists putting Trent in midfield – he thinks there is less pressure in the RB pockets, so he has more time to lift his head up and find the target. Looks like hybrid position is as far as he will go.

Feels like Trent was playing in midfield in the second half. Too many Matip vs Doku situations.

Overall the hybrid system helped Trent a lot today. Got a goal, coupe of Hollywood passes, and it stopped doku getting in to double figures for skinning him

The truth is Trent was a very busy boy compared to someone like Kostas, especially defensively as City’s tactics were to get Doku isolated with him, I’d say he had a mixed game, the goal obviously makes it better than it was but it’s apparent by now his defensive game will never be as good as his offensive game.

The truth is Trent was a very busy boy compared to someone like Kostas, especially defensively as City’s tactics were to get Doku isolated with him, I’d say he had a mixed game, the goal obviously makes it better than it was but it’s apparent by now his defensive game will never be as good as his offensive game.

The defensive stats are not good though

The defensive stats are not good though

What did Doku create bar the pass to Alvarez that warrants any other mention of a big chance though? Getting dribbled past in isolation means nothing in all honesty or Adama Traore would be the best winger in the World.
Trent was left isolated in the first half and we were more compact in the second. All in all, Trent had a good game against Doku given the result and what Doku created from the wing.
You could argue that Doku, when on form, is one of the better players around with dribbling skills and pace.

Could he have done better? Absolutely, but its nonsense to say that he struggled all through the game imho.

What did Doku create bar the pass to Alvarez that warrants any other mention of a big chance though? Getting dribbled past in isolation means nothing in all honesty or Adama Traore would be the best winger in the World.
Trent was left isolated in the first half and we were more compact in the second. All in all, Trent had a good game against Doku given the result and what Doku created from the wing.
You could argue that Doku, when on form, is one of the better players around with dribbling skills and pace.

Could he have done better? Absolutely, but its nonsense to say that he struggled all through the game imho.
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the logic.
Doku dribbled past Trent several times, granted his passes or crosses in the box didn't lead to anything, but how does it make Trent look good?
I mean isn't it on Doku?
Let's say Trent is the last man and Doku gets by him, Ali saves the one on one, should I praise Trent too?

Also, don't forget Trent's non-defending led to their goal.

958d6175b16e258edb18e19657c59a7a.jpg

https://x.com/Cityzen_Jnr/status/1728377646478709067?s=20

Someone stole my pic!

I took that screenshot years ago from a live football feed on my computer.
Funny how things spread on the net.

Doku dribbled past Trent several times, granted his passes or crosses in the box didn't lead to anything, but how does it make Trent look good?
I mean isn't it on Doku?
Let's say Trent is the last man and Doku gets by him, Ali saves the one on one, should I praise Trent too?

The logic is that he can dribble past Trent but end up out towards the corner flag in a position that isnt threatning to our goal, or out towards central of the pitch were we have other players in good positions. Several of those 7 times were like this. One time he dribbled the ball out over the touchline.

I think the point related to Southgate’s decision not to play him as RB in 5yrs is on him, his own limited skills as a manager. His pragmatism is the reason England have failed to win anything under him despite having the most balanced and talented English squad I can remember and unlikely to win anything with Trippier or a like going foreward. When his England contract is up, there’s not going to be queue of top 6 English clubs waiting for him. Probably United at best?
Tripier is an excellent RB in his own right, and if any of us were England Manager, there is no way we would consider TAA as our RB as that position in nearly all nations except Brazil is seen as a defence first position.

The logic is that he can dribble past Trent but end up out towards the corner flag in a position that isnt threatning to our goal, or out towards central of the pitch were we have other players in good positions. Several of those 7 times were like this. One time he dribbled the ball out over the touchline.
True, and I think its been proven that he only actually dribbbled past Trent twice as in actually passed him. However, what I call those players are chaos makers and thats what he kind of did everytime he was given the ball. He was always an outlet for them on that side to progress by himself into that final third. Certain players or opposing RB's or opposing players in general will put such dribbler types in their pocket, or handle them well, Clyne was good at that when he played for us.

Tripier is an excellent RB in his own right, and if any of us were England Manager, there is no way we would consider TAA as our RB as that position in nearly all nations except Brazil is seen as a defence first position.

Trippier isn’t a better defender than Trent though and nowhere near as good going forward.

It has to be Walker as England’s mediocre centre backs need all the help they can get.

Tripper has been in England’s right back for every tournament since Russia, how many have they won?
It’s not down to Trippier but England need to braver to make this golden gen count.

I mean isn't it on Doku?

You can’t put it down to just one man, there were about 3 players culpable. The fact focus is on Trent’s defense is not fair, Klopp I would imagine places focus more on his attacking points if not more. He was our best play maker and far more productive the Szbo who currently is supposed to provide attacking threat on right but I’m not seeing enough.
Also point regarding Doku or any given attacker constantly beating Trent, it’s normally responsibility of RB and RCB, it’s basic football.
It’s not down to RB, so if LW is often free after that then means RCB has’t shifted to the right enough. I didn’t think Matip wasn’t great yesterday, he made a fair few mistakes.

You can’t put it down to just one man, there were about 3 players culpable. The fact focus is on Trent’s defense is not fair, Klopp I would imagine places focus more on his attacking points if not more. He was our best play maker and far more productive the Szbo who currently is supposed to provide attacking threat on right but I’m not seeing enough.
Also point regarding Doku or any given attacker constantly beating Trent, it’s normally responsibility of RB and RCB, it’s basic football.
It’s not down to RB, so if LW is often free after that then means RCB has’t shifted to the right enough. I didn’t think Matip wasn’t great yesterday, he made a fair few mistakes.
I'm not putting it on Trent alone, but he was involved is what I'm saying.

Yeah but I do find all this Trent critcism all a bit one sided at times. Maybe I give him so much allowance as I just love watching a born and bred red like him play. His defending is ok and has been fine this season, but football is my escape and been an amateur rb, watching Trent is just pure football.

Yeah but I do find all this Trent critcism all a bit one sided at times. Maybe I give him so much allowance as I just love watching a born and bred red like him play. His defending is ok and has been fine this season, but football is my escape and been an amateur rb, watching Trent is just pure football.
I believe most of us are OK with Trent playing in a more advanced role it's just that defending is a big part of playing at RB.
Forget yesterday's game, you can't say that he's held the same level Trippier, James and Walker have had defensively?
The reason why Trent is being mentioned is because it's so visible. We see Doku in one-on-one situations with Matip while Trent is nowhere to be found. It just doesn't compute for me.

I believe most of us are OK with Trent playing in a more advanced role it's just that defending is a big part of playing at RB.
Forget yesterday's game, you can't say that he's held the same level Trippier, James and Walker have had defensively?
The reason why Trent is being mentioned is because it's so visible. We see Doku in one-on-one situations with Matip while Trent is nowhere to be found. It just doesn't compute for me.

A modern right back has to do more and especiallt for current LFC. He is inifinitely better attacking wise than them, he is better still from deep and Klopp believes this too.
Regards to James, yes I think this season he is better than him defensively. Walker and Trippier, is there that much in it?
I need to see the stats but I suspect no.
And against Doku, nowhere to be found? Not sure about that but what did Doku actually create? Score? Not a lot interms of actual end product despite the fancy footwork.

A modern right back has to do more and especiallt for current LFC. He is inifinitely better attacking wise than them, he is better still from deep and Klopp believes this too.
Regards to James, yes I think this season he is better than him defensively. Walker and Trippier, is there that much in it?
I need to see the stats but I suspect no.
And against Doku, nowhere to be found? Not sure about that but what did Doku actually create? Score? Not a lot interms of actual end product despite the fancy footwork.
James has been injured this season so yes Trent might have been better.

Regarding Doku, he got a few dangerous crosses in. Isn't that what we're always complaining about when the opposition scores. Like "why didn't Robbo close him down?"
But just because they didn't score doesn't make it ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom