• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post-match Chelsea (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordinarily we'd have been saying 2-2 away at the 3rd placed team was a decent result.

Unfortunately it was a must win game.

What I really don't understand is why when we get a 2 goal lead, can't we sit back a bit close the spaces and hit teams on the break? It's what every other team does.

We consistently leave the door wide open...

And teams predictably don't need an invitation.

The timings of the goals made it worse. 5 minutes to half time keep it tight. Get in at 2-0 and they are out of it. Then Milner did his best Lucas impression, not only once, but did it again after he failed the first time.

As soon as Milner committed that foul, I knew we’re conceding from that free-kick. I’ve watched enough football to know how it works. It’s the needless foul or a preventable corner that gets you.

As much as we’re frustrated about the result and the fact that the title is probably gone the way of City again, I have to say from purely football perspective the first half was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve seen in some time. It had an old-school feel about it; two teams going for tempo and intensity above all else; even with some players lacking form or fitness the commitment from both sets of players was superb. A lot of times the ball was just booted high from one half of the pitch to another with everyone fighting for the rebound, like an Old Firm derby from the 90’s. And the Salah and Kovacic goals were just moments of pure top-notch quality, as were some of the saves by Kelleher and Mendy.

Was the mane elbow incident a red card offence? Considering what Kane got away with in our game against spurs, I'd feel super disappointed if that was given....

I thought it was a red, to be honest, even I’d Asspicker made a meal of it.

This should be Milner's last season, his age is catching up with him.
I read Fabizio Romans dribble, which proves he knows nothing, just repeating what the owners have uttered a few seasons ago, about signing someone not as a stopgap but who will improve the squad not with sky high price tag.

My feelings on the game in no particular order

1. Kelleher was excellent, hope we can hang onto him as he's a high calibre young goalkeeper. How we decided to start Adrian ahead of him at times is a mystery
2. Fabinho is the only midfielder who looks like he should be starting. Milner all sentiment aside is a walking yellow card now and Hendo is showing obvious signs of physical decline. Realistically we need 2 new midfielders in the summer. Milner should move on and Hendo should take his role as a squad player.
3. 3 years of under investment, and if I'm honest Klopps stubbornness at moving players on, have taken a toll. Our bench was a bunch of kids and Ox our answer to Jesse Lingaard
4. Trents defending is genuinely amateurish at times, not even in situations where teams target him and put him under pressure. He just implodes all on his own trying daft shit.
5. It looks increasingly like this team peaked from 2018 - 2020 there are still wonderful moments and great individuals but that sense of inevitability in getting something from the game has gone.

Can't argue with that, especially point 5. I think we have enough to raise the bar for champions league games. Would be nice to have a proper go at the FA Cup as well.

Finish 2nd or 3rd along with a cup would be pretty nice.

Title has defo gone unless city decide to be charitable. Way behind and now with no Salah or Mané.

My feelings on the game in no particular order

1. Kelleher was excellent, hope we can hang onto him as he's a high calibre young goalkeeper. How we decided to start Adrian ahead of him at times is a mystery
2. Fabinho is the only midfielder who looks like he should be starting. Milner all sentiment aside is a walking yellow card now and Hendo is showing obvious signs of physical decline. Realistically we need 2 new midfielders in the summer. Milner should move on and Hendo should take his role as a squad player.
3. 3 years of under investment, and if I'm honest Klopps stubbornness at moving players on, have taken a toll. Our bench was a bunch of kids and Ox our answer to Jesse Lingaard
4. Trents defending is genuinely amateurish at times, not even in situations where teams target him and put him under pressure. He just implodes all on his own trying daft shit.
5. It looks increasingly like this team peaked from 2018 - 2020 there are still wonderful moments and great individuals but that sense of inevitability in getting something from the game has gone.

Lingard is better than ox.

Was the mane elbow incident a red card offence? Considering what Kane got away with in our game against spurs, I'd feel super disappointed if that was given....
I've watched a few post match reviews now and only one guy thought it was a red (not an ex-player). All the ex-players (about 7 of them) thought it was a Yellow. To precis the comments it was because Mane went up with his eyes only on the ball, you can't jump with your arms at your side, his arm was bent and he touched him with the forearm not the elbow.

If Manes was a red. So was the elbow into Konates face by Havertz.

Also, Mount having a little kick out at Kostas was close to a red too. I'm not having the 'there wasn't enough force' argument. He tried to put more force into it.

I don't think Mane's was a red. For me personally, elbows being red cards have to be intentional, and I don't think that was. I was surprised it wasn't given as a red though. He probably would've been off if it hadn't been inside the first 10 seconds.

Per : "we had so many good counters that just missed the final pass or even the little offside timing of when to go".

That has been the case so often in games this season. Where we could and should have finished teams off and then ended up conceding and drawing the match because of our messing up counters / offsides. We could have been 0-3 or 0-4 even before Kovacic's worldie.

Mane's challenge wasnt a red. Yellow was correct. He leads with his arm, looks at the ball the whole time and as the refs say they look at if his fist is clenched or not. If its clenched they see at as the player is using it as a weapon and that the move is calculated.
Mane's wasnt, and even though its wreckless and stupid its not a red card offence.

If Manes was a red. So was the elbow into Konates face by Havertz.

Also, Mount having a little kick out at Kostas was close to a red too. I'm not having the 'there wasn't enough force' argument. He tried to put more force into it.

Spot on with the first bit.

Mount's was a red as well. The whole "not enough force" argument is utterly irrelevant. There is bugger all in the rules about the amount of force used.

God save us now that Mane and Salah are gone.
Get ready to see a lot more of Ox.
It's so fucking unfortunate that Elliott has been injured.

They're just gone for 2 games. V Brentford and Palace. Could be worse

Mane's challenge wasnt a red. Yellow was correct. He leads with his arm, looks at the ball the whole time and as the refs say they look at if his fist is clenched or not. If its clenched they see at as the player is using it as a weapon and that the move is calculated.
Mane's wasnt, and even though its wreckless and stupid its not a red card offence.
I think it was a similar outcome to the Kane one on Robbo. Because the ref gave a yellow, he stayed on the pitch. VAR wasn't going to upgrade it to a red. But if the ref hadn't given a yellow card, VAR would have called him over for a review and he'd have been sent off. Same deal with Mane.

Arsenal will lose Pepe, Partey, Aubameyang and Elneny. None of them are as important as Salah or Mané but it will certainly weaken their squad.

Partey is the only one currently in their first eleven, but the cumulative effect of losing him and Elneny will mean they will have to rely on Xhaka, Lokonga and AMN in midfield for all their games, which could lead to other problems. I really want to win that semi-final.

Last edited:
Hasn't Partey been shit for them? AFTV has been slating him this season. That said, I only watch the videos they put up when they lose.

Hasn't Partey been shit for them? AFTV has been slating him this season. That said, I only watch the videos they put up when they lose.

True, he is getting some criticism this season, but he’s still their best CM - more of an 8 than a 6 though, and sometimes struggles if forced to play deeper.

He has been when they all were, but he's been prominent in their recent improvement and was some folks' MOTM in their last game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom