• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Our country needs you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Former Labour press chief Alastair Campbell has written an open letter asking why politicians can’t be more like Jurgen Klopp and made an appeal to the Liverpool manager.
Campbell, who was communications director to Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister, has called on the Liverpool manager to consider entering politics when his football days are over. The Burnley supporter has also also claimed that Klopp has 'mastered' the holy trinity of strategy, leadership and teamwork.
Writing in this week's The New European, Campbell also says he can see the Reds boss is 'much more than just a football man' and that he understands his 'responsibility to help others who are less fortunate in life' and he admires the fact he has spoken out against Brexit.
Campbell's letter says: “First, you have built a wonderful team. As Graeme Souness said after your 4-0 win over Manchester United, this team plays the best football Liverpool fans have ever seen. And Graeme Souness is qualified to talk about that.
“I love your passion. For football. For your players. For the fans. For the city and its history. You understand why the Hillsborough 97 are, and always will be, so important. You understand why The Sun will never be welcome in Liverpool. You understand the importance of football in the life of the city, not just Liverpool FC, but Everton, Tranmere, and hundreds of amateur clubs.
“I love it when you step on to the field with a giant smile and hug the players at the end of a match. I love that fist punch on your chest that you do in front of the Kop. I admire how you develop and improve players. I did an interview with Trent Alexander-Arnold for GQ magazine two years ago and he spoke of you and your management with genuine love.”
Campbell goes on to say: “I once saw you angrily criticise Virgil van Dijk for two rare mistakes as he played. Maybe the best defender in the world. But someone who has so much respect for you that he knew he had to do better, and he did afterwards. What a difference to our prime minister who constantly lies, flatters, deceives to keep his team by his side.
“Yes, let’s come to politics. I also see that you are so much more than just a football man. You know you are privileged to have become rich in a job you love so much.
“You know that if you have money and power or influence, you also have a responsibility to help others who are less fortunate in life. You know that the richest have to pay their taxes and not avoid them as so many do. I know how much you do for the community, as you did in Mainz and Dortmund.
“When Covid-19 entered our lives, you immediately understood the seriousness of the situation. You said this is more important than football – a message not to be underestimated in this football-crazy city that is Liverpool.
“And a city that hates authority, and where many people were willing to turn down the vaccine, heard from you that getting it was important. Leadership!
“Thank you for speaking out against Brexit because you understand it is not good either for Britain or for Europe. You are aware that populism is a real danger.
“You asked – good question – why our country gives political power to liars like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage? You have values, Mr Klopp, which these opportunists do not have and will never understand.
“We see these values in the football you play and the life you lead. You believe that one should always try to tell the truth. You believe that strong people have a responsibility to help the weak."
The letter continues: “So thank you. Thank you for everything you give to our country. Thank you for the nice football. Thank you for your love of northern England. Thank you for reminding us that we have good leaders in this country even if, sadly, they are not in the government.
“Good luck in your pursuit of the Quadruple. And I hope that, once the trophy cupboard is overflowing, you think about going into politics. Our country needs you!”
I would vote for Jurgen for any office without hesitation, but I don't think he will be interested in politics in the slightest – for many reasons. But I'm sure he will continue speaking his mind.

I would vote for Jurgen for any office without hesitation, but I don't think he will be interested in politics in the slightest – for many reasons. But I'm sure he will continue speaking his mind.
What a wonderful 'open letter'. So nice to see how much Jurgen is appreciated even beyond football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom