• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Playoffs thread.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782243#msg782243 date=1232353260]
I dont think im being biased here, as both the commentators and the boys in the studio said it was a fair challenge.
They like me feel that he tried to turn to get his shoulder in and specifically not go helmet to helmet.
I think youre both being unfair to be honest.
I hope the lads ok but to cry foul is to me a step too far.
[/quote]

If that was on a QB, there would be far far more noise. Fact is, he led with his helmet. As Whad said, one day someone will get killed like this.

Just as the NFL put in a one game suspension for the 'Roy Williams' tackle (ie the one where he grabs your shirt collar and often times breaks your leg in the process), this needs to be done too. You can never judge intent but will a player need to be paralyzed or killed before the NFL eliminates this kind of tackle from the game?

That hit is the 'clean' version of the Bruce Smith on Boomer Esiason hit - which basically started the 'push' to clean up hits on QBs.

But if he led with his helmet, the impact would have been helmet top to facemask as he was coming at him pretty much straight on. It wasnt, it was helmet side and shoulder into chin/chest.
If he goes into that challenge half baked hes the one getting nailed.
He turned clearly to try and impact with his shoulder. Did he pull out, did he fuck, why should he?
What he didnt do was intentionally go helmet first imo.
He had a split second to make the challenge and he made it.

How is the lad btw any news?

Ps-every pundit on sky, the lads in the booth, the commentators and the refs on the field and sidelines agree with me.
Hard, even brutal challenge, but not an unfair one.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782252#msg782252 date=1232354032]
Ps-every pundit on sky, the lads in the booth, the commentators and the refs on the field and sidelines agree with me.
Hard, even brutal challenge, but not an unfair one.
[/quote]

the player was almost paralyzed and it's a fair one?

I just watched this again and Clark's shoulder hit McGhaee's below his shoulder, his helmet right to his helmet. Let's call a spade a spade. If you don't want hi suspended because of the game, I understand but this was a sickening tackle. There's a reason Clark has been fined for this before ...

Im not defending him because hes a Steeler (and you should know me fucking better than that by now) im defending him because i think it was a fair challenge.
Yes theres a reason he was fined in the past....because he committed an UNFAIR challenge.
The two things are unconnected and its unfair to suggest it.

I can see why you think its not right, because it is fucking horrible. But by the laws of the game its a fair challenge, and was seen as such by the men on the field and 50yr veterans in the booth.

Ps-im really quite pissed off and dissapointed that you would suggest i am biased because of who it is and who he plays for.
Im not like that at all.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782274#msg782274 date=1232355419]
Im not defending him because hes a Steeler (and you should know me fucking better than that by now) im defending him because i think it was a fair challenge.
Yes theres a reason he was fined in the past....because he committed an UNFAIR challenge.
The two things are unconnected and its unfair to suggest it.

I can see why you think its not right, because it is fucking horrible. But by the laws of the game its a fair challenge, and was seen as such by the men on the field and 50yr veterans in the booth.
[/quote]

When he gets fined again, will you say 'unfair challenge'? The link from nfl.com shows a player's helmet going straight into another player's helmet - that's a no no by their own rules (if a player is left almost paralyzed, then it's flagrant ... and that's automatic ejection as per NFL rules from the contest at least)

Officials miss calls, so it happens ... and Gumbel and Simms are not 50 year veterans of the NFL. I do think Simms is far more intelligent than Marino though, who I think is an idiot after talking with him (I worked on the CBS Half Time studio a few times in Manhattan).

I apologize for the statement that pissed you off - it was wrong and I take it back. Sorry mate.

If he gets fined or banned, then i will of course accept that, i dont think id agree with it, coz no matter how many times i see it i cant see him not attempting to turn and go shoulder in.
If the league disagree then so be it, i'll live with that and be mildly dissapointed.
Whats more important is that the lad is ok.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782296#msg782296 date=1232356460]
If he gets fined or banned, then i will of course accept that, i dont think id agree with it, coz no matter how many times i see it i cant see him not attempting to turn and go shoulder in.
If the league disagree then so be it, i'll live with that and be mildly dissapointed.
Whats more important is that the lad is ok.

[/quote]

As per Espn.com:

Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee was carted off the field Sunday after taking a hard hit to the helmet by Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark.

Ravens RB Willis McGahee takes a scary hit from Ryan Clark in the AFC Championship Game.

The Ravens said he had "significant neck pain" but movement in his arms and legs.

I think yesterday proved one thing to me - Kurt Warner is a Hall of Famer.

Sorry Andy. Not a chance this is claen, mate.

On Avy's link, pause on 37 seconds and again on 53 seconds, and tell me that he's not putting the crown of his helmet into the RB's head...

Yes, there was also shoulder contact, but this prick has a histroy of leading with the helmet, and he did it again yesterday.

The reason the media says its clean was because the first contact was made with the shoulder, but the brut of the hit was with the helmut, so technically he led with the shoulder.

I am so glad Phil Simms is not calling the Super Bowl, what a jack ass.

Is it just me or does this Super Bow seem like it is gonna be a blowout?

[quote author=Karl Hungus link=topic=30001.msg782764#msg782764 date=1232374466]
Is it just me or does this Super Bow seem like it is gonna be a blowout?
[/quote]

I think we may see a big upset here - I'd rather, as you said earlier, reserve #6 for the 'Boys.

I'll be going for the Cardinals, but I have to say the Pittsburgh defense may be the best I have ever seen.

Kurt Warner did a good job against the blitz yesterday, and they have a lot better players at the skill positions than Baltimore, but I just don't think its enough.

San Diego, has a pretty good offense, but they only had one play in the third quarter a couple of weeks ago, thats unheard of, I don't think the NFC pro bowl team could score against the Steeler's defense in one play.

[quote author=Karl Hungus link=topic=30001.msg782771#msg782771 date=1232374931]
I'll be going for the Cardinals, but I have to say the Pittsburgh defense may be the best I have ever seen.

[/quote]

come on man, don't exaggerate too much -

I reckon the 'boys defense of 93-94 was just as good, if not better.

Exactly Karl.
'technically he led with the shoulder'
Thats all im saying.
Momentum of the two players ultimately meant that the helmets were always going to smash in, but the fact that he hit him side on and was spun through 180 because of the angle of impact means to me he didnt hit directly helmet to helmet nor did he mean too.
Just the way i see it mind.

The few games I have seen Pittsburgh play this year, nobody has been able to get into an offensive rhythm against them. They make you completely shut down the run and make you pass, then do their best to make your quarterback watch the game from his back.

Your right Wiz the Cowboys defense was better though, if only because of the uniforms they wore.

On the hit, he was just laying physicall like the Steelers always do, I do not think he had any bad intentions, it was just one of those things that was so perfectly that both players ended up in a heap. I mean two big guys running full speed at each other, then they both lower their heads, not gonna be good, but it is a part of the game.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782782#msg782782 date=1232375381]
Lol@ltw
[/quote]

If you think Troy Polalalalalamu is in Darren Woodson's league? If you do, you probably missed one of the most highly regarded SSs in football history.

There are far better Ds out there than this current Pitt D - the Baltimore D that won the Super Bowl was just as dominant, the Steel Curtain D of the 70s, the Giants D last year was phenomenal etc ...

I didnt say it was ltw.
It was funny that you went straight to the cowboys.
Not suprising mind.

Its a great D.
Thats all i need or care about. Its young, has no weak links and will hopefully stay together for a few years.
Im not big on stats, but statistically (according to nfl.com and that total programme) we have the best defence in 20 years.
I dont know about all that, but theyre good. And thats all i care about.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30001.msg782797#msg782797 date=1232376299]
I didnt say it was ltw.
It was funny that you went straight to the cowboys.
Not suprising mind.

Its a great D.
Thats all i need or care about. Its young, has no weak links and will hopefully stay together for a few years.
Im not big on stats, but statistically (according to nfl.com and that total programme) we have the best defence in 20 years.
I dont know about all that, but theyre good. And thats all i care about.
[/quote]

I preferred your LB core when you had Lloyd, Greene and a young Chad Brown - that was one of the scariest, meaniest group of LBs you'd find in 'those' days.

Sorry for listing a Cowboys D first, I listed others I thought who are, imo, better than this Steel D. Their weak link are their CBs I think, they're not 'great' and this is a place where Boldin and Fitzgerald defo have an advantage. A lot of the FAs, if you have any, will leave as they did with the Giants - it happens with all Super Bowl contenders.

I suppose there is some validity to what you say ltw, maybe its just a flavour of the day thing, but their defense to me is very frightening. The fact that they are where they are with a very mediocre (thats being gentle) offense, speaks volumes for their defense.

Im not sure we have any of the core near the end.
I think
Hampton, keisel, smith, clarke, harrison, polomalu, mcfadden etc are all tied down.
Hope so anyway.

[quote author=Karl Hungus link=topic=30001.msg782803#msg782803 date=1232377165]
I suppose there is some validity to what you say ltw, maybe its just a flavour of the day thing, but their defense to me is very frightening. The fact that they are where they are with a very mediocre (thats being gentle) offense, speaks volumes for their defense.
[/quote]

Well it's not easy when your #1 RB is out most of the season and your #1 wr is santonio or hines, both are good #2s but not #1 material IMO.

I'm also not sold on Big Ben. Sure he has a ring, but that Super Bowl they won with great D and a very very good running game ... His decision making skills are still very hit n' miss, but he's going to soldify his name in Steelers' lore even more with a win in 13 days.

Youre being very kind re-our offense Karl.
Its pretty wank.
Ben has good days and awful days, Parker had a great breakthrough season but that was under the guidance of Bettis, he isnt consistent enough. Holmes and Washington are capable but unspectacular wr's (although holmes is really impressing in the playoffs).
Heath miller is a very good te and invaluable to our team, but for me the only top class offensive talent we have is the great Hines Ward, who is a legend and carries us on his back too much.

The Steeler offense has been this way since the 70's. The game plan is don't make mistakes on offense, control the clock, and the defense does the rest.

I think Big Bn is over rated, but he fits well in the Steeler's game plan, for any other team that needed him to be a game changing quarterback he would be crap.

well they had Bettis in his prime for a while, which was extremely dominating - and the team that had Burress (a dominant #1 when on form) & Ward (a excellent #2) was also a very good offense.

You're doing Ward an injustice Wiz.
He makes big plays and hard yards. His yardage after contact is superb and his hands are magnificent. Hes our record holding wr even with lacklustre qb's supplying him, he is never going to get lots of 100 yard+ games but hes as safe a pair of hands as anyone in the league and i wouldnt change him for anyone.
He has always lacked a yard of pace, but as a through the middle take a hit guy theres none id swap him for.
Witness his 2 plays yesterday. Typical Hines magic.

Oh btw i thought Randle-el was fucking magic for us in 05 and his ability to perform tricks when we needed and his pace was invaluable.

They have had decent players, but they have never had a very dynamic offense. They have always won games with defense.

Back
Top Bottom