• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp Needs To Loook At Himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scary thing is in his first season with Benfica he scored only 6 times in 29 matches while fluffing countless glorious chances. Benfica supporters hated him that year... So, either he will come good miraculously or we spent a fortune on a one season wonder. Crazy gamble considering our financial predicament.
One. Season. Wonder.

We will sell him to Brazzers as they are the only ones who need fluffers.

Actually - if he’s not banging them in for fun by the end of next season - then we should be selling him, even at a loss.

This is the way.

Gary Neville: “Jurgen Klopp is the best manager in the Premier League over the last 5 to 10 years considering the resources he is given.”

Chris Bascombe in the Torygraph

[article]
Jurgen Klopp needs answers – and fast – to revive flagging Liverpool

The Liverpool manager is facing a decision that could define his future and may need to become more brutal

ByChris Bascombe6 January 2023 • 4:30pm

The question facing Jurgen Klopp is whether five defeats in 17 Premier League games for his Liverpool side are merely a blip or the end of a cycle for a fine side.

That they have a problem in transition is obvious, given how vulnerable they are when they lose possession: they have conceded 51 clear-cut chances this season – double the number of the five sides above them in the Premier League.

Couple that with the exciting-but-raw Darwin Núñez’s need to increase his chance conversion above 22 per cent, and the reason they have a fight on their hands to make the top four is plain.

The broader issue, however, is not the deficiencies when full-throttle attack morphs into unreliable defence, the fragilities of a once formidable structure exposed in the latest meek defeat by Brentford this week. It is the general switch from a side beaten only four times in all competitions last season to one in need of reinvigoration to get back to being title challengers.

Seamless transition is rare. Who in English football, other than Sir Alex Ferguson, has successfully moved from one triumphant era to the next over the past 30 years?

Arsène Wenger could not do it, nor could Jose Mourinho and his Chelsea successors. Manchester City have also had to change managers to keep the trophies coming. Even Ferguson oversaw a short period of regression, suffering a four-year wait from 2003 before he regained the championship.

Unlike Klopp, whose man-management is considered his strongest asset, there were times when it seemed Ferguson revelled in the coldness required to ditch those who decorated the honours board, detaching emotion when telling Paul Ince, Jaap Stam and Roy Keane to leave when they felt they had more to give.

Klopp has not yet had to be so brutal with his title winners, ruthlessness reserved to the formative years of rebuilding with Christian Benteke, Mamadou Sakho, Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius. Those who deliver for him are ushered out of the front door via the red carpet.

Georginio Wijnaldum’s contract ran down, the club reasonably deciding he should not be paid more at the age of 30 than he was when 26. Adam Lallana was granted a farewell interview and open letter when he became surplus to requirements.

Sadio Mané fell into the same category, being allowed to leave when a new contract would have meant a salary in excess of £300,000 a week, and Divock Origi was given a guard of honour to wave goodbye.

Even those who have barely contributed due to injury, such as Naby Keïta and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, are expected to end their Liverpool careers when contracts expire at the end of this season amid warm managerial embraces when others might have tried to alienate them, forcing them out in the hope of raising funds to sign that much-needed midfielder last summer. This is not Klopp’s style.

The latest contract dilemma surrounds Roberto Firmino, who inadvertently finds himself as a test case for the current state of Fenway Sports Group’s “Moneyball” strategy, given how many of its advocates have either left or are leaving Liverpool. Klopp wants him to stay, although Firmino would have to accept reduced terms in the way James Milner has with each contract renewal. It is a fair presumption that Klopp sees more value in keeping Firmino well into his thirties than some of those analysing the data. Given Firmino is Liverpool’s joint top Premier League goalscorer this season, it is hardly surprising that Klopp prefers using his eyes to the contents of a spreadsheet.

Another Brazilian, Fabinho, has been way off his usual form. At 29, he is still a saleable asset. Would Klopp choose to cash in to fund the restructuring of his midfield or, as was the case when Jordan Henderson’s deal needed updating and some within the club advised caution, would the manager find it inconceivable to lose one of his most successful players? History suggests the latter, and Klopp’s decision to use his January resources to sign another attacker in Cody Gakpo rather than a midfielder proves he has faith in his central options until the summer, believing Fabinho will overcome recent inconsistency.

He needs to because around Anfield there is an appetite for Klopp to get Liverpool back to what they were upon his arrival, when his side ran harder than any team and hunted in packs. Even when performances were erratic at the start of Klopp’s reign there was an irresistible sense of Liverpool being in the fast lane.

Memories can play tricks. That initial sprint from the blocks was fun but largely unsustainable. Liverpool sneaked into fourth by a point in Klopp’s first full campaign, beaten six times over 38 league games. A cause for celebration then, but bound to be considered a reflection of decline if it is the best Liverpool can do in 2022-23.

“Heavy metal football” remains the popular description of Klopp’s style. Since his third season, Liverpool have introduced a hint of Johan Cruyff to go with the more obvious Arrigo Sacchi tactical influence, with generally thrilling results. They have been much better in possession as well as out of it, adept at controlling the volume and making elaborate chord changes as and when necessary. But their greatest moments have always been when they reverted to Klopp’s tried and trusted method of winning the ball back as high as possible in the opposition half.

Take the most riveting performance of all, against Barcelona in the 2019 Champions League semi-final, second leg. Liverpool completed 154 fewer passes than Barcelona that night, but between them Fabinho, James Milner and Trent Alexander-Arnold retrieved possession on 47 occasions, most of them in the opposition half.

No matter what else Klopp achieves at Liverpool, that will always be the template, high-pressing performance. When the season restarted after their winter camp in Dubai, the Anfield messaging suggested he would try to restore that identity. The remaining 21 Premier League games will inform if he has the players to do it.

Like many great managers, Klopp is learning how there is more understanding – certainly externally – when a club undergo a total rebuild after a barren spell rather than one experiencing a period of reorientation following success.

We all hail the bloodletting of a revolution. The evolution? Not so much.

[/article]

It took our last Uruguayan star striker a while to start scoring too. What followed was well worth waiting for. I reckon Nunez will follow suit, and it may be significant that most pundits - by no means all of whom like us as a rule - are backing him to come good.

I always thought he scored on his debut for us? Might be mistaken though.

He did - angled shot that I think the keeper got a hand to and it barely trickled over the line.

But Nunez also scored on his debut

Edit - rounded the keeper, scuffed the shot and defender nearly kept it out. Suarez goal as the original shot was on target. If Nunez did that half the folks on here would say it was an own goal & still give Nunez a slagging

Edit 2 - many claim Nunez debut league goal was also a scuffed shot & bit lucky. The parallels are obvious, so it is categorically proven that Nunez is the new Suarez, just with a forehead instead of teeth

Last edited:
He did - angled shot that I think the keeper got a hand to and it barely trickled over the line.

But Nunez also scored on his debut

Edit - rounded the keeper, scuffed the shot and defender nearly kept it out. Suarez goal as the original shot was on target. If Nunez did that half the folks on here would say it was an own goal & still give Nunez a slagging

Edit 2 - many claim Nunez debut league goal was also a scuffed shot & bit lucky. The parallels are obvious, so it is categorically proven that Nunez is the new Suarez, just with a forehead instead of teeth

And Nunez was in the crowd to see that Suarez goal

This is true. Everyone was going nuts at the chances he missed for a year and there was a lot of talk about him needing seven chances for each goal, which became four, which became three.

This is true. Everyone was going nuts at the chances he missed for a year and there was a lot of talk about him needing seven chances for each goal, which became four, which became three.

True. But the technical ability he was displaying was next level. That United match where he dribbled past the entire defense for Kuyt to tap in was I think within two months of signing.

For sure, but I was commenting specifically on the stick Nunez is getting on here and elsewhere, which centres on missing chances.

Yeah totally different players, Suarez was obviously different levels above in terms of skill on the ball, but maybe the donkey levels up because of his pace.

Point is, players can and do vastly improve their finishing in this league, so let's just hope he's the same.

For sure, but I was commenting specifically on the stick Nunez is getting on here and elsewhere, which centres on missing chances.

Yeah totally different players, Suarez was obviously different levels above in terms of skill on the ball, but maybe the donkey levels up because of his pace.

Point is, players can and do vastly improve their finishing in this league, so let's just hope he's the same.

Agreed. I honestly believe a big issue is in his head. He is trying to prove himself every second. When he joined, he started reacting to social media messages about his performance in one of the initial games. He is too sensitive. He needs to overcome that. He also needs to realize he can give most defenders in the league a second head start and out race and out muscle them.

Also, being a striker in this league is pretty fucking hard these days. How many forwards that were new to the league started banging them in from the off apart from freaks like Haaland and Salah? Torres, Aguero, Drogba?

As already pointed out, even Suarez needed a season and a half to start fully firing

Drogba (or Dogbreath as he tended to be known on here) looked very ordinary in his first season, nowhere near what the advance publicity suggested.

I really hope klopp has ability and more importantly desire to fix this stuff... I worry if hes not capable, were fucked.

Drogba (or Dogbreath as he tended to be known on here) looked very ordinary in his first season, nowhere near what the advance publicity suggested.
His goal record was so-so, but I thought he was monstering defenders from the start. Wished we could have gotten him at the time.

That’s weird. I keep thinking Suarez hit the ground running almost immediately. Don’t remember him taking a season or two to bed in.

Or was that Torres ? I’m getting old :(

I think Nunez should try and shin every shot on goal - his shins are much more competent finishers than his feet.

For all his flaws, he is the only player who plays with a bit of fight in him, chases lost causes, and carries a consistent threat upfront.

That’s weird. I keep thinking Suarez hit the ground running almost immediately. Don’t remember him taking a season or two to bed in.

Or was that Torres ? I’m getting old :(
Suarez didn't score a lot of goals in the beginning but he did contribute to our attack.
4 goals, 5 assists in 14 league games, not too bad considering...Lost 4, drew 2.

I know he scored a good goal last night and i think it was quite indicative of when he's best (doesn't have to think, hit it first time, not running through on goal banging it out for a throw in) but the main problem I've got with him it the minute is that he doesn't seem strong enough. He looks the part, but he gets muscled off everything. Again it's not something that can't be fixed, but it is another thing that leaves you wondering why we paid so much.

Thinking of that Torres goal against Chelsea for example. Ben Haim was a massive brick shithouse and Torres just shrugged him off like he was a ghost, Suarez didn't lose any physical battles ever, this dude is nowhere close. He gets shoved over and moans about it.

All that said, he's under loads of pressure in his first season and the rest of the team is bollocks... It's not what he expected either. I still think he could be a great striker but he's gonna have to work his arse off to get there.

I think part of the problem is also the amount t he has to play now. Ideally if Diaz, Jota and Firmino didn't pick up injuries we would have had 5 options for the front 3 (maybe even 6 with Carvalho for cup games). Would have given him a chance to train a lot with the team while not starting every game.

It certainly feels like a case of wrong player / wrong time with Nunez. The raw materials are there but he's getting a rough ride due to the state we're in and a 65M project was surely a luxury for us. Now we just have to hope it pays off in the long run.

As said by others, thing I like about him as that he doesn't seem to give up. To paraphrase Klopp - he's trying to push the bus.

It certainly feels like a case of wrong player / wrong time with Nunez. The raw materials are there but he's getting a rough ride due to the state we're in and a 65M project was surely a luxury for us. Now we just have to hope it pays off in the long run.

As said by others, thing I like about him as that he doesn't seem to give up. To paraphrase Klopp - he's trying to push the bus.

Isn't that what Gakpo is going, according to Klopp?

Just checked: Gakpo is pushing the train apparently, different mode of transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom