• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Everton (A) - 24 April 2024 - Premier League

I really thought Trent + Elliot + Diaz worked well today from a balance POV down the right. Neither will start on that part of the pitch though.

I think it’ll be

Ali

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Endo
Jones
Macca

Salah
Nunez
Diaz

for me it would be Diaz Jota Gakpo/Nunez as front three. Salah is getting too predictable.

Jones should start as local blood is important and Everton will be up for this, just like United were. It’s their cup final.
Been saying this for two plus seasons now... Defenders are finding it easier to play against him. When was the last time that Salah curled a ball into the far conner of the goal..?

Like I said in the other thread:

Klopp should play that front free again, unfortunately he will put Salah back in on Wednesday, even though he's playing like it's already the Summer. I wouldn't put Nunez near near that lineup for the derby and for all of Gravenberch's flashes of quality yesterday, we don't need any passengers against Everton.

I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp drops Jota for Salah against Everton, which is barmy, but in terms of balance it's probably what he'll do and also considering Jota has only just returned from injury.

I think he'll go with this:

-----------------Alisson--------------
Trent----Konate-----VVD----Robbo
----------------Endo-----------------
--------Macca-------CJ/DS----------
-Salah---------Gapko-------Diaz--

I think Gakpo is much more effective on the left than through the middle (hopefully Klopp et al have noticed this too). It'll be Jota or Nunez through the middle IMO.

I think Gakpo is much more effective on the left than through the middle (hopefully Klopp et al have noticed this too). It'll be Jota or Nunez through the middle IMO.
That said he was noticeably absent from the left vs Fulham (I'm assuming that was where he was meant to be with Jota centre). He seemed to spend far more time in the centre (maybe that was the plan) because although I slated Robbo it was also very noticeable that often there was no-one ahead of him so he had no option but to recycle backwards.

-----------------Alisson--------------
Trent----Konate-----VVD----Robbo
----------------Endo-----------------
--------Macca-------CJ/DS----------
-Salah---------Gapko-------Diaz--

Jone not Szob and I think you are right. He MIGHT go with Jarrell instead of Ibou too.

That said he was noticeably absent from the left vs Fulham (I'm assuming that was where he was meant to be with Jota centre). He seemed to spend far more time in the centre (maybe that was the plan) because although I slated Robbo it was also very noticeable that often there was no-one ahead of him so he had no option but to recycle backwards.

I don't fully agree. He actually made some crucial turnovers/tackles out left, including winning the ball in the move that led to Jota being fouled for the FK that Trent scored from.

He was also quite often high and wide and receiving cross field balls.

On the Salah point (unrelated to the post i've quoted) - I would even be interested to see him played central.

I don't fully agree. He actually made some crucial turnovers/tackles out left, including winning the ball in the move that led to Jota being fouled for the FK that Trent scored from.

On the Salah point (unrelated to the post i've quoted) - I would even be interested to see him played central.
Salah as a 9/false 9 I'm getting less and less convinced on. He seems to be struggling to trap a ball ATM, let alone pull the strings.

I'm all for Jota/Nunez central with 2 orthodox wingers in gakpo and Diaz.

Agree with most of it. In midfield, it’s Endo + Macca + 1 for me for the derby and maybe it’s best not to prejudge who will be the 3rd midfielder and let them fight it out in training. In any case Szoboszlai should be nowhere near the first team - it surely looks like a turnaround in form will not happen for him until next season.

If we’re choosing between Salah and Diaz on the right, reputation and status is one thing, but objectively you have to say Diaz does his tricks and flicks with more pace and power - Salah’s little touches are not fooling any defenders at the moment and he’s had very little pace and running power on display since coming back from injury. Also in Diaz’s favour is that he will defend and track back, so we’re not sacrificing the defensive structure to accommodate him.

That all seems fair.

Salah as a 9/false 9 I'm getting less and less convinced on. He seems to be struggling to trap a ball ATM, let alone pull the strings.

I'm all for Jota/Nunez central with 2 orthodox wingers in gakpo and Diaz.

One thing about Salah (which also explains some of his challenges in open play goals) is that teams double mark him. If he was central, his presence combined with clever runs could create space for others (or himself)

One thing about Salah (which also explains some of his challenges in open play goals) is that teams double mark him. If he was central, his presence combined with clever runs could create space for others (or himself)

Do they double mark him any more? Feel like more recently it's just been the single full back or CB.

Also…. Do we not think Gravy is worth giving a start to - Dom’s all over the place and CJ is off the pace too - if we’re picking on current form then it’s a defence of Trent, Virgil, Robbo +1, a midfield of Endo, Mac & Gravy and a forward line of Gakpo, Jota +1.

It’s a question of either Quansah or Ibou at the back or Diaz, Monor even Harvey at forward right - there isn’t much of a case for anyone else starting.

I'm assuming because when Trent or Ali are on the ball then our forwards are waiting on the pass. However watch the match (or highlights again - or Robbo's touches, if there is one) and you'll see what I mean about that yawning gap ahead of Robbo. I can't remember how many times when Robbo was in possession I was waving my hands are the empty space !

Also…. Do we not think Gravy is worth giving a start to - Dom’s all over the place and CJ is off the pace too - if we’re picking on current form then it’s a defence of Trent, Virgil, Robbo +1, a midfield of Endo, Mac & Gravy and a forward line of Gakpo, Jota +1.

It’s a question of either Quansah or Ibou at the back or Diaz, Monor even Harvey at forward right - there isn’t much of a case for anyone else starting.
You are forgetting who Klopp rested vs Fulham. And he didn't give them that break simply to be generous.

Gravy’s redemption arc started yesterday!!!!!

I’d love him to show us his talents in these last 5 games. I felt he grew into the game and lack of match sharpness was clear. I think it’ll be a manic start and we will gain control after the first 15 minutes.

I’d be inclined to give him the last 30 and a start against West Ham.

You are forgetting who Klopp rested vs Fulham. And he didn't give them that break simply to be generous.

That’s why I said Diaz, Mo or Harvey on the left - Mo is the only one with a case to be starting - if everyone else is physically capable of it.

To be fair - it’s not a great case because Mo hasn’t been great since his injury - at least earlier in the season he was converting - he SHOULD have to play his way back into form and the team from the bench - same as everybody else has to.

That injury might just be the thing that creates the thought that maybe his body isn’t up to Premier League pace any more - hard to say, but I’d be ok with Mo on the bench if Jota is starting.

That’s why I said Diaz, Mo or Harvey on the left - Mo is the only one with a case to be starting - if everyone else is physically capable of it.

To be fair - it’s not a great case because Mo hasn’t been great since his injury - at least earlier in the season he was converting - he SHOULD have to play his way back into form and the team from the bench - same as everybody else has to.

That injury might just be the thing that creates the thought that maybe his body isn’t up to Premier League pace any more - hard to say, but I’d be ok with Mo on the bench if Jota is starting.

Mo’s case to start is that he was good in 21/22.

lll
I thought that was Gakpo's first good game on the left, his other decent performances were usually when played through the centre

lll

I thought that was Gakpo's first good game on the left, his other decent performances were usually when played through the centre
I thought he was nominally on the left but spent as much time central almost as a false 9 behind Jota (see when he put Jota through for his goal). I agree he played well - again !

Agree with most of it. In midfield, it’s Endo + Macca + 1 for me for the derby and maybe it’s best not to prejudge who will be the 3rd midfielder and let them fight it out in training. In any case Szoboszlai should be nowhere near the first team - it surely looks like a turnaround in form will not happen for him until next season.

If we’re choosing between Salah and Diaz on the right, reputation and status is one thing, but objectively you have to say Diaz does his tricks and flicks with more pace and power - Salah’s little touches are not fooling any defenders at the moment and he’s had very little pace and running power on display since coming back from injury. Also in Diaz’s favour is that he will defend and track back, so we’re not sacrificing the defensive structure to accommodate him.

Klopp also mentioned Szobo as to coming back from a serious injury he has never had before.

Mo’s case to start is that he was good in 21/22.

Well, he’s not only out top scorer and top assists person - he’s also padding out Darwin’s stats by giving him half his assists.

Well, he’s not only out top scorer and top assists person - he’s also padding out Darwin’s stats by giving him half his assists.
Tbf if he wasn't on the pitch, someone else would probably have 6+ goals from the pens.

Everyone's stat padding this year

I thought he was nominally on the left but spent as much time central almost as a false 9 behind Jota (see when he put Jota through for his goal). I agree he played well - again !
Deffo, thought his best play came from when he dropped deeper

Our system is screaming out for a 10, rather than 8's or wingers who cut in. There always seems to be space to be exploited by a third man run

I guess the Donkey will lead the line for next few game. I wonder if it'll be Diaz or Gakpo alongside on the left. I'd possibly look to Gakpo and give him a welcome boost of confidence. Nothing worse than playing well and losing your spot (could say same about Diaz, but lesser extent IMO).

I'd think we'll see:

Ali

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Endo
Macca
Jones / Elliot

Salah / Diaz (i'd prefer to see Diaz on the right, but let's add some realism to the line up)
Nunez
Gakpo

Back
Top Bottom