• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England vs India

I would have liked us to follow on - but decision bat maybe correct if we get this 400 lead quickly. Worried about our ability to get 20 wickets and want as much time as possible.

Bell and Cook both capable of scoring quickly but would expect Buttler/Jordan etc to be bumped up if wickets fall.

Woakes bowled great lines yesterday, if he keeps that up next innings I think he'll get a couple.

Should do that next wicket down.

Why did England not make India follow on? Thats the best way to force a result in this game.

Its not that difficult to bat on, so if you set 500 as the target, Its possible India will try and play out four sessions which is not impossible on this wicket.

I dont like Dhoni or Cook as captains, they are not aggressive enough for me.....pretty much safety first stuff all the time.

Exactly KJ. We need to take 20 wickets, would rather do that and then try to chase instead of just bat too long. We are leaving a record chase, why not declare after that instead of still batting?!

Back to back tests and hot weather ( for England ) makes it difficult and would mean three consecutive days in the field for English bowlers. Hopeful of more deterioration in the pitch as well, need every bit of help as the pitch is flat. Indian side is full of batsmen too.

The bowlers were tired argument doesnt work for me....they had a mini break before this test. They bowled a little more than a day, they have three decent alrounders to rotate if bowlers tire w bit....Ali even got a couple of wickets in the first dig. I can never imagine someone like Steve Waugh not opting for the follow on....

Anyway 445 to chase, I think it may be a bit too high, and India will probably play for a draw after Dhawans wicket....

Yep - the bowlers all did what 14 overs in the first innings - and had an overnight rest. Should have made them follow on IMO.

Loving this test. What a turn around. Great from Cook and awesome stuff from Ali. :)

Yep - great game from Cook.

As a batter he was confident, especially second innings and started playing some great shots.

As a captain I think he was right to get Ali on early and pair him with Woakes (who was keeping it v tight at one end) instead of Jordan meaning the batsmen felt they had to attack Ali.

Epic match. So many good performances. Awesome debut cameo from Buttler - literally the perfect situation for him. Bell and Ballance both great. Root had a nice knock second innings.

Bring on Old Trafford!

England supporters were warned that we would have to accept inferior keeping from Buttler in return for his aggressive run-making. In this test Buttler's keeping was flawless - I would venture to suggest more athletic than Prior.

At Old Trafford we may be without Jimmy Anderson if he is suspended by the ICC over the alleged Jadeja incident. However there are plenty of fast bowlers queueing up to substitute for Jimmy and I wouldn't say that we cannot win without him.

What a great game for England and fair play to Cook, cojones of steel to face up that pressure and take the hard route to winning by batting first. Early days but you can see we have a side emerging. Jimmy's bowling was immense and he seems to have refound the zip that has been missing for ages.

Yes it was a great England performance all round.

Spaghetti Legs didn't choose the right moment to get stuck into Cookie! :D

I have been getting stuck into him on here since the winter and even after he scored runs in the first innings, England winning their first test in 11 attempts and Cook getting some runs for the first time in a year doesn't change anything, if some fans think everything is rosy now then more fool them.

The only way he can redeem himself is by scoring a load of runs against the Aussies next year to win us back that urn he so feebly and embarrassingly let go of, it won't happen though.

India though?

Surprising from them, not them losing tests away from home, that's their forte.

What is surprising is the the way they went about this test, they get themselves 1-0 up and turn up in this match and lay down and die without any resistance, England played well but India turned up here pulled their trousers down, bent over and just took it, woeful stuff from them.

Fucking hell I despair - no doubt your beloved KP had no part in the shambles down under. Of course JA's poor form down under had nothing to do with the fact he played three tests with a fractured rib, It was all Cooks fault ! It was Cooks fault Trott had a mental breakdown everything is his fault. Look everyone accepts he is not the best captain England have ever had but cut him a bit of slack eh.

Fucking hell I despair - no doubt your beloved KP had no part in the shambles down under. Of course JA's poor form down under had nothing to do with the fact he played three tests with a fractured rib, It was all Cooks fault ! It was Cooks fault Trott had a mental breakdown everything is his fault. Look everyone accepts he is not the best captain England have ever had but cut him a bit of slack eh.

Although at times Cook makes some questionable choices, I don't see anyone I would want to replace him with. As Tony has suggested, and as I usually find myself pointing out to those I debate this with, he is having to manage a team where there have been a huge number of players underperforming which just doesn't help the situation.

Will be interesting if Jimmy is suspended. I would like to see just Stokes come in for him and then also place faith in Jordan that he can get his line a bit more consistent. Not a huge Plunkett fan when he just wastes bouncers all game long.

Ishant back in for India will be interesting and make it harder for us but if the batters keep up their form I would be confident.

Ishant back in for India will be interesting and make it harder for us but if the batters keep up their form I would be confident.

Dhoni was quoted yesterday as saying that Ishant is still injured and won't be playing in the next test match starting on Thursday.

Although at times Cook makes some questionable choices, I don't see anyone I would want to replace him with. As Tony has suggested, and as I usually find myself pointing out to those I debate this with, he is having to manage a team where there have been a huge number of players underperforming which just doesn't help the situation.

Will be interesting if Jimmy is suspended. I would like to see just Stokes come in for him and then also place faith in Jordan that he can get his line a bit more consistent. Not a huge Plunkett fan when he just wastes bouncers all game long.

He gets told to do that, even on a green top! its not his choice.

He is supposed to be our enforcer, our answer to Mitchell Johnson, he has done allright but its cringe when you hear him and Johnson mentioned in the same breath.

He gets told to do that, even on a green top! its not his choice.

He is supposed to be our enforcer, our answer to Mitchell Johnson, he has done allright but its cringe when you hear him and Johnson mentioned in the same breath.

Surely he knows not to bowl ALL balls short? If he pitched it up his pace would actually cause issues, as it is he is too easy to defend against making him a blunt weapon.

Surely he knows not to bowl ALL balls short? If he pitched it up his pace would actually cause issues, as it is he is too easy to defend against making him a blunt weapon.

Plunkett will be doing what he's told, if he isn't doing what he's supposed to then surely he would get told to sort it out or hauled off?

Plunkett was mostly bowling to a plan ( leg side theory ) but I thought when he switched to bowling over the wicket he was pretty good. Woakes outbowled Jordan who was a bit disappointing I would keep Woakes in. I would be dropping Jordan for Plunkett who after bowling on that Trent Bridge mattress earned a chance on the fastest pitch we have. If Jimmy gets banned if he is up for it I would put Kerrigan in. Old Trafford usually spins and the Indians have show the last two series we have played them that they don't actually play spin that well!

Hold the above Jimmy not guilty hooray!!! What a complete crock of shit that was and what a waste of money, fucking hell - if India had to put up with what we did in the last two Ashes they would be calling for the death penalty

India though?

Surprising from them, not them losing tests away from home, that's their forte.

What is surprising is the the way they went about this test, they get themselves 1-0 up and turn up in this match and lay down and die without any resistance, England played well but India turned up here pulled their trousers down, bent over and just took it, woeful stuff from them.

Al round poor Cricket....

Terribly defensive team selection. If you consider Jadeja is half a bowler they went in with 2 and a hapf bowlers and a debutant.
Rohit Sharma has not fulfulled his promise and its time to look post him. I think Chand should be the next one to get a chance. Dhawans out of form while Ghambir's in form, so wrong on that front too.

But all that was forgiveable ...mistakes in team selection is quite common.

But the catching, how they went about against Ali....with all due respect Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly etc would have comfortably shut out for sessions and earned the draw....these guys were clueless, not because they didnt know how to play spin, but because they had no clear idea on the approach to take to survive four sessions. The have Dravid as a mentor....and im surprised this has happened.

Disappointed with Rohit. I think there's plenty of talent there, though. Dhawan also has talent, though I'm not surprised to see him struggle in English conditions - definitely Gambhir should come in. I'd also look to get Ashwin into the team for the next test. I'm also expecting more from Kohli.
As for England - delighted to see Cook come good - hope he can build on that now. I really don't see a good alternative as captain. Maybe that's not a reason by itself to keep him there, but its probably a reason to give him a little longer.

I think leaving Ashwin out of the Indian team has been a mistake. He would have caused the England batsmen more problems than the pace men.

Pujara as well, he out of all the Indian batsman i was expecting big things from this series, he has been getting the starts but not converting them into anything meaningful.

Back
Top Bottom