• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thomas Lemar

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been protests by the Monaco fans abut the proposed sale of Lemar.

9523148_1_orig.jpg

The concrete information of Twitter is saying we’ve agreed £96 million but he won’t arrive until July.

Its from the Firm though, and most likely their Monaco office. The Count seems to have posted a picture from their annual summer party.

The concrete information of Twitter is saying we’ve agreed £96 million but he won’t arrive until July.

Is he worth spending that kind of money on?

For that he needs to be really good right now with the potential to go on and be world class.

From the clips I’ve seen he looks fucking boss. It was only YouTube clips but still boss.

It’s not my money so I don’t give a fuck.

It depends on how you look at it.

We all support the club and want it to do well, therefore we all have a vested interest in ensuring our limited resources are invested wisely.

But that aside, selling a star player at the top of his game only to have to spend the vast majority of the fee on an inferior replacement doesn't sit well.

When we charge companies and extortionate amount to be a club partner we can’t whine when we pay a fortune for a player.

Lemar could be star of the World Cup. We wouldn’t be saying inferior if that was the case. We’re in the unknown here as his replacement may hit the ground running and bang in 12 for the rest of the season.

We all support the club and want it to do well, therefore we all have a vested interest in ensuring our limited resources are invested wisely.

But that aside, selling a star player at the top of his game only to have to spend the vast majority of the fee on an inferior replacement doesn't sit well.
I think in terms of where we are, any player we bring in will be inferior, at least in the short term.
We can only hope players develop into world class talent.

I'm not convinced Lemar is a player we need. We are in a position of having the cash for another huge statement signing to join VVD and Keita. Do we need another pacey wide player? Lemar strikes me more as someone we would want on the end of balls played by someone like Coutinho, rather than a replacement who would play deeper and feed our incredible strikeforce ahead. Do those who know him better disagree with this?

Do we need a new GK? Yes.
Do we need more competence at CB? Arguably yes - although we don't yet know the impact a leader at the back will have on Matip/ Lovren/ Klavan.
Do we need more steel mixed with output in midfield? Yes.

There are many areas we could address - Lemar to me feels like adding depth to a position that we already have covered by Mane & Salah.

£96m of £142m (both assuming reachable bonuses) isn't the vast majority. It's 68% for a 22 yo who's seemingly going to be a top star (and who we'll sell to Barca/Real in 4 yrs time for £200m).

I'm not convinced Lemar is a player we need. We are in a position of having the cash for another huge statement signing to join VVD and Keita. Do we need another pacey wide player? Lemar strikes me more as someone we would want on the end of balls played by someone like Coutinho, rather than a replacement who would play deeper and feed our incredible strikeforce ahead. Do those who know him better disagree with this?

Do we need a new GK? Yes.
Do we need more competence at CB? Arguably yes - although we don't yet know the impact a leader at the back will have on Matip/ Lovren/ Klavan.
Do we need more steel mixed with output in midfield? Yes.

There are many areas we could address - Lemar to me feels like adding depth to a position that we already have covered by Mane & Salah.
Lemar isn't like Mane/Salah and doesn't play in their position.

I've only seen clips of him making runs off the last defender or crossing from the byline.

I like Lemar a lot and I think he would be a perfect replacement for Coutinho... but £96M? That’s too much, if true. I’d rather invest in a younger, cheaper talent then or another area of the team (like midfield or GK).

I've gone through so many emotions about Lemar, a player whom (I think) I've not even seen play, that I just wish Beckett had written Waiting for Godot about a transfer rumour. It would've become the essential drama for fans.

VLADIMIR:We're waiting for Godot.
ESTRAGON:(despairingly). Ah! (Pause.) You're sure it was here?
VLADIMIR:What?
ESTRAGON:That we were to wait.
VLADIMIR:He said a tweet by The Firm.
ESTRAGON: What is it?
VLADIMIR:I don't know. It's been deleted.

At this moment in time is release clause shopping the best approach?

Oblak and Umtiti are around £50m, I wonder who else out there has a release clause set in the pre neymar transfer era.

I'd be happy with Oblak coming in instead of another midfielder right now. Oblak and VvD would mean that we would only have to score 1 or 2 goals to comfortably win a game, not the 3-4 right now.

Midfield could wait until the summer.

I'd be happy with Oblak coming in instead of another midfielder right now. Oblak and VvD would mean that we would only have to score 1 or 2 goals to comfortably win a game, not the 3-4 right now.

I would also accept this.

At this moment in time is release clause shopping the best approach?

Oblak and Umtiti are around £50m, I wonder who else out there has a release clause set in the pre neymar transfer era.
I think Oblak was mooted to be 90m.

I said this last night. A top keeper plus VVD would make us a much more balanced side & could be better overall.

Oblak wont move in January.

Its weird that Monaco accepted 90 million on Deadline day in August, yet dont want to sell in January. Whats the difference?

I’m guessing they’ve increased the asking price and we’re reluctant to pay it.

Dont really see why we should pay 90M for him. I actually think there should be a case to judge these different leagues on their strengths before valuation of a player. United signed that french geezer years ago for 70M ... dont think hes worth 70M. I think paying anything above 70M for a player who has played only in the French league is a MASSIVE risk. Fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom