• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The squad situation

Modo

A contentious scando
So considering all the sales and potential sales, what's your opinion on our current squad situation?

Does anyone have an idea of what Slot, Hughes etc are planning?

What I understand, is that we no longer have kids to rely on if we suffer the same kind of injuries we did last season.
Obviously there's no international competition mid season, but can we actually expect to compete in four competitions this season without any incoming transfers?

EXACT same squad as last season so we're going to experience the EXACT same problems as last season.

Lazy, incompetent, arrogant, tight arse bellends we have in charge that probably think Arne is capable of working the same miracles Klopp did for so long with one arm tied behind his back.

They'll be the ones to blame after another flat season.

EXACT same squad as last season so we're going to experience the EXACT same problems as last season.

Lazy, incompetent, arrogant, tight arse bellends we have in charge.

They'll be the ones to blame after another flat season.
Minus Matip too

The squad itself is fine. Some players have gained additional experience, some have a fair few miles more in their legs. As long as Slot manages the squad better than Klopp did, I mean using rotation more, mixed with a less intense style of play I can expect fewer injuries.

I’d like to have us replace our squad players with either people who would walk straight into the team, or can be developed over the course of a year to be a starter in 25/26.

I'm more concerned with quality than quantity.

But to your question, if we end up having to rely (exactly what that means is up for debate) on kids two seasons in a row then something is seriously wrong with the senior squad and now is the time to fix it. We shouldn't be wasting young careers / valuable assets to account for this.

lets work it out;
Give it 5 games, CJ is out for 3M
The same with Jota
Konate probably the same
Gomez great last season but all his previous seasons he had long term injuries, we are not sure he is staying
Salah's dry patch will start in November, and last till Feb
Robbo is wank (at increasing frequency)
Endo is old
8 days, Hughes said he would be busy in August, he wasn't lying... He was selling our squad options

GK x 2 (maybe even 3)
LB x 2
RB x 2
CB 1 x 1
CB 2 x 2
DM x 1
CM LOADS
LW x 1
RW x 1
CF x 3

Theres definitely gaps.
I really genuinely would be very surprised if there arent 3 or 4 signings in by end of next week.

Its not an AWFUL squad by any means and bench last week evidenced good options so I do think some of the posts im reading are fairly wildly OTT and more because poster A 'wants' us to spend money more than we actually need to.

The two teams above us have also done very little. Maybe the scattergun approach of Chelsea and to an extent United has everyone jumpy and thinking we are getting left behind.

We definitely are not.
My concern is more about us making the leap.

I wont repeat what we need, we all know it.
But filling those key gaps would really put us in a great position for the year ahead.

We wouldnt be far off having
Kelleher
Tsimikas
Konate
Quansah
Bradley
Endo
Elliott
Jones
Gakpo
Doak
Darwin

As an entire back up team.

So i do think the hyperbole is a little bit nuclear right now.

Work to be done. Im trusting its being done.....

In the words of Dolores Umbridge...

For now..

It depends on what the expectations are. We know we cannot go deep in all four competitions without compromise. Is this squad good enough to be challenging for a title come March and have a decent run in the CL? Yep. Some things will have to go our way of course.

Probable -
  • Salah can score more than last year. He under-performed his xG for the first time. People will point to age, but he had injuries and AFCON to contend with.
  • We get more out of Mac Allister over 12 months.
  • VVD maintains his levels.
  • One of Gakpo, Nunez or Diaz will click into gear and have their best year yet.
  • Quansah continues to improve and enhance his reputation (despite the weekend). Bradley, Elliott, too.

50/50
  • Gravenberch adapts well to the six role and the system clicks into gear faster than we thought, ensuring the name Zubimendi is quickly forgotten about.
  • Roberson keeps himself injury-free and effective.
  • Szobo finds some consistency.

10% dreamland stuff
  • Jota keeps himself fit.
  • Nunez learns to finish and begins to understand the concept of offside.
  • Nyoni's ability and performances demands game time.

I also would point out that I dont recognise a few of these posters who are at the vanguard of ire.

Possibly younger generation. Tik tok and insta. Life in 3 second soundbites. Always the next thing and the next thing and the next thing.

Different generation to dinosaurs like me.

Not saying either is right or wrong but perspective is everything.

LB looks weak and I don't trust Jota to stay fit. MF will basically depend on whether Gravenberch continues to flourish at 6. I'm a bit surprised they're willing to loan Bajcetic because he would seem to be the best backup to Grav.

Otherwise it's a great squad and first XI.

So considering all the sales and potential sales, what's your opinion on our current squad situation?

Does anyone have an idea of what Slot, Hughes etc are planning?

What I understand, is that we no longer have kids to rely on if we suffer the same kind of injuries we did last season.
Obviously there's no international competition mid season, but can we actually expect to compete in four competitions this season without any incoming transfers?
How on earth would anyone here have an idea of what Slot, Hughes etc are planning?!

The squad itself is fine. Some players have gained additional experience, some have a fair few miles more in their legs. As long as Slot manages the squad better than Klopp did, I mean using rotation more, mixed with a less intense style of play I can expect fewer injuries.

I’d like to have us replace our squad players with either people who would walk straight into the team, or can be developed over the course of a year to be a starter in 25/26.
Yeah I'm in this boat. Excellent squad and we would have been right up there in the mix last season bar injuries.

Hopefully fewer injuries for us and more for City and Slot's style being less enervating so the players last the full season. And also he can address the defensive issues of last season.

Our youngsters have matured and they all have another season playing together. I'm optimistic but a couple more players (LB and either DM or CB) would have me more so. Confident if no DM inbound that Gravy and Endo can cope.

I also would point out that I dont recognise a few of these posters who are at the vanguard of ire.

Possibly younger generation. Tik tok and insta. Life in 3 second soundbites. Always the next thing and the next thing and the next thing.

Different generation to dinosaurs like me.

Not saying either is right or wrong but perspective is everything.
Actually those I think that you are referring to are all 50+ 🤭😂

This for me, too.
We have a deep squad. I want the signs that push our starters to the bench and build the quality and succession plan we need.

We've stayed the same while the teams ahead and behind us have improved. Plus the fact that we are getting used to a new system and slott is no klopp says to me that if we get 4th its been a good season. All we've seen so far is out goings and nothing coming in. It was obvious that we need a 6 and a CB and nothing i've seen has changed that. Really we also need a striker because we all know jota will get injured for months and we can't rely on nunez for goals.

left back concerns here too, especially if Gomez leaves. i love robbo but he’s starting to have ropey games and pickup injuries and kostas imo flatters to deceive, especially in preseason.

We've stayed the same while the teams ahead and behind us have improved. Plus the fact that we are getting used to a new system and slott is no klopp says to me that if we get 4th its been a good season. All we've seen so far is out goings and nothing coming in. It was obvious that we need a 6 and a CB and nothing i've seen has changed that. Really we also need a striker because we all know jota will get injured for months and we can't rely on nunez for goals.
Have they?

City's top player is virtually geriatric, they lost Alvarez who I really rated and only Savinho in.

Since the start of last season (first team only)
Out:
Matip
Keita
Firmino
Fabinho
Henderson
Ox
Milner
Carvalho
Thiago

In:
Szoboslai
Maccallister
Endo
Gravenberch

Thats a lot

I have no problem with the sales. But the lack of incoming are concerning.

The fact that Virgil called for signings and they haven't materialised should cause concern. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but if I was Virgil, Trent or Salah I'd be keeping my options open.

Last time we went into a season with no signings, it didn't end so well. Or am I misremembering?

I have no problem with the sales. But the lack of incoming are concerning.

The fact that Virgil called for signings and they haven't materialised should cause concern. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but if I was Virgil, Trent or Salah I'd be keeping my options open.

Last time we went into a season with no signings, it didn't end so well. Or am I misremembering?
I think Tom Brown said the last time we went into a season without a signing we won the league? Can’t remember if that’s so.

I don't think the first team is quite good enough to win the league without a good bit of luck. I don't think we have a dangerous enough front line, and I think it's not a reliable first team either.

I think the squad is definitely not good enough to win the league, we are weak at LB, CB, CDM, and RW

Of all of those, CB is the most pressing. We've seen the fingers crossed no one gets injured movie before, and one problem with being weak in cover at CDM and CB is that generally they cover each other when the shit hits the fan.

That's why I find the discussion of "well the first team is good enough, but there isn't enough depth" to be a little weird. Someone is going to get injured, and it isn't only the position where the player is impacted that is affected. Weak links in the chain mean that a relatively small number of injuries can cause you to have to start weakening your own team, in other areas. Last year we were weaker going forward and weaker going back because of playing Mac Allister out of position in the 6. When your team is a little thin, you will make up for it by breaking what works; it isn't just about the fire you are putting out, it's about who is bucketing it. Bajetic and Endo were both overplayed, one too young, one too old, for the same weakness. It can be more expensive to be just short. You're also just wasting money. When Fabinho played CB instead of a decent CB, you're overpaying him for a job he's just ok at.

The more you can keep whole elements of your team a bit more settled, the more I believe you'll get developed patterns of play in attack.

That's why the gomez thing is so bizarre to me. He was willing to play anywhere. If you want to be cheap, you should love utility players. Not too many, but some. If we don't get a couple players in, then we are just taking needless risks. We have a lot of work to do in the next window anyway. Kicking other things down the road will not help.

Back
Top Bottom