• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Taking stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Ok so where are we at with 6 more weeks of transfer madness!

GK - Reina (Jones and Gulacsi) - Linked to Doni.
LB - Aurelio (Insua and Konchesky) - Linked to Enrique and Baines
RB - Johnson, Kelly (Degen) - SORTED
CB - Agger, Carragher, Skrtel (The Greek) - Linked to Dann.
LM - ? ? ? (Jovanovic) - Linked to Downing and Mata)
RM - Kuyt, Maxi, Henderson - SORTED
CM - Lucas, Adam, Gerrard (Meireles, Aquilani, Cole, Spearing) - SORTED
CF - Carroll, Suarez (N'gog) - No links.

Kids on the fringe - Pacheco, Wilson, Shelvey, Ayala, Flannagan, Robinson (Ecclestone, Raheem, Suso)

You have to think that Mata or Downing (or someone to play wide left) is a must. Left Back still looks light and CB and CF too.

I don't agree about LB (Magic and Robinson can cover that between them IMO) and I'm expecting Deadly to be used mainly as a striker option now.

Agree otherwise.

we'll get downing, matas not going anywhere, although we really could do with another LM. you'd think we'd still be in for a striker if we were really in for wickham but id be okay with having kuyt as our backup for that position, looking at the list our squad is still pretty shallow, think its gona be a work in progress rather than something that will get sorted this window though

[quote author=Lewy link=topic=46088.msg1363581#msg1363581 date=1310460483]
we'll get downing, matas not going anywhere, although we really could do with another LM. you'd think we'd still be in for a striker if we were really in for wickham but id be okay with having kuyt as our backup for that position, looking at the list our squad is still pretty shallow, think its gona be a work in progress rather than something that will get sorted this window though
[/quote]

you'd also think we're seriously after a centre back if the jones debacle is anything to go by.

At end of season we need a wingers, a left back, centre back. No Signings for these positions - Yet!

Also could have argued, we needed a defensive midfielder and back up striker. Again not addressed this.

Basically we've been spending quite a bit of money on positions that didn't need filling, and on players which very few really wanted. It's far from a disaster, obviously, but there's definitely an element of controversy to our spending so far.

I expect to see our next signings start to address the genuine needs our squad has.

The full back positions are not a priority. We have more than enough options there, especially when including Flanagan and Robinson.

Kuyt will play mostly as a striker so I think we're probably covered there too.

I would like a left and right winger, or at the very least one player who can play right and left.

A centre back is probably needed although i dont think it would be a disaster if we dont get one. I'm happy with Carra, Skyrtel, Agger and the Greek, not forgetting Kelly and Wisdom coming through.

Priority: Left/Right winger (who would also be comfortable on the right) - Ideally two top players who can play these positions. If we could get Downing and Mata and no one else in this transfer window i'd be delighted.

I think we need a left-back and at least one attacker as a priority (but really two).

Another centre-back would probably be a good idea as well. Has The Greek travelled to China?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=46088.msg1363609#msg1363609 date=1310463996]
I think we need a left-back and at least one attacker as a priority (but really two).

Another centre-back would probably be a good idea as well. Has The Greek travelled to China?
[/quote]Yes.

Up until the emergence of Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson , and the fact that Magic looked really at home there, I saw it (LB) as a key area of concern, not that worried about it now, but I am pretty sure Kenny's plan will want someone that can get forward well and support the midfield and attack, and at the moment two or three of that list are going to struggle a bit in holding the defenders job down and doing that

regards

and I agree with Kenni we really need to strengthen up front, with realistic contingencies

Totally agree about needing another striker but its not an easy one.

We have Carroll and Suarez who will clearly be first choice. Beyond that we have N'gog and maybe Kuyt.

Carroll and Suarez are unlikely to play every single game and are even less likely to be great in every single game. We will need back up or at the very least attacking options from the bench.

Are we happy with N'gog and Kuyt doing this? And if one of Carroll or Suarez (or heaven forbid both) get injured or suspended would we be happy having N'gog and Kuyt up front for an extended period? I would say no.

So if we need to buy another striker then who do we get? Would any really good strikers really want to come here to wait for opportunities? Again, no.

So our search for striking back up is limited really to second rate players, old players or young potentially good players. Our pursuit of Wickham suggests we are going for the third option, but given the half-hearted nature of that pursuit that suggests it may not be a huge priority.

unless we continue to use johnson as a left back then we really need to sign someone here .
Up front i guess we've got Kuyt , Suarez and Carroll. You have to wonder about Carroll's fitness so I'd like another striker , someone willing to spend time on the bench ...i don't think we've any young lads coming through who can fill the roll yet , that's why wickham was sort of appealing , well if he was worth the hype.

And left wing is just a must , it's been a problem for years and needs sorting .

Looking at the balance of the team it still lacks some pace for me. Obviously pace isn't everything but if you've got a decent player with good pace it makes such a difference .

Finally we have to push to get some of the shite out . Ok it's hard to do but it's wrecks my head when i see some of the useless shite that plays for us.

Ok still with massive assumptions, but given the strength of todays rumours (ins and outs).

GK-Reina, Doni, Jones.

LB-Aurelio, Insua, Flannagan

RB-Johnson, Kelly, Robinson

CB-Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, The Greek

DM-

CM-Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles, Aquilani, Adam, Spearing, Shelvey

LM-Downing, Cole

RM-Kuyt, Henderson, Maxi

CF-Carroll, Suarez, N'gog, Pacheco

Others-Ayala, Coady, Suso, Sterling, Wisdom etc.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=46088.msg1364847#msg1364847 date=1310634750]
Ok still with massive assumptions, but given the strength of todays rumours (ins and outs).

GK-Reina, Doni, Jones.

DM-

LM-Downing, Cole

RM-Kuyt, Henderson, Maxi

[/quote]

I dont think Kenny gives a fuck about a DM. He'll just put two or three CMs in and expect them all to do their bit going forward and defending.

Hasn't anyone been watching Copa america?

Lucas is a DM, has arguably been their best players so far.

True but my point is that i dont think Kenny will rigidly label an individual as a DM. The responsibility will be place on the midfield as a whole.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=46088.msg1364872#msg1364872 date=1310636342]
Hasn't anyone been watching Copa america?

Lucas is a DM, has arguably been their best players so far.
[/quote]

Always knew Lucas was a schizo.

Lucas in the Copa.

Successful Passes 143
Unsucessful passes 8
Successful Crosses 0
Unsucessful Crosses 1
Successful Through Passes 0
Successful Dribbles 0
Successful Tackles 12
Shots on Target 0
Shots off Target 0
Successful Side Inversion Pass 1
Fouls Commited 5

WHAT THE FUCK is a side inversion pass?

Still really good stuff from Lucas out there and as has just been said, he's earning the usual rave reviews.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=46088.msg1364847#msg1364847 date=1310634750]

GK-Reina, Doni, Jones.

DM-

LM-Downing, Cole

RM-Kuyt, Henderson, Maxi

[/quote]

Those players in bold can do it. We are still short defensively, given Agger's, Aurelio injury record. The Dumbledore spirit is still alive!

When you google 'side inversion pass' the only place it comes up is the Copa stats.

So it seems it's a tournament exclusive pass players can only perform there.

Shame.

[quote author=barrymac20 link=topic=46088.msg1364853#msg1364853 date=1310635313]
I dont think Kenny gives a fuck about a DM. He'll just put two or three CMs in and expect them all to do their bit going forward and defending.
[/quote]

I agree with this. KK does not seem to have a penchant for DMs and with the players we're being linked to and have bought I don't see a place them in the team except for exceptional matches (where Lucas will fill the role). I've always thought that against lower half of the table teams a DM was a waste anyway.

And completely agree with JJ on the LB slot. Johnson LB and Kelly RB and we're sorted with plenty of cover. If we are to buy a LB then it would have to mean we improve on the Johnson/Kelly FB pairing, if it doesn't what is the point.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=46088.msg1364987#msg1364987 date=1310641244]
I mentioned that about DM's the other day & was shot down in flames.

Glad others agree.
[/quote]

Jon's Army now has 3 then.

surely somethings go to give here . I still think Aquilani will move to some serie a team before the end of the window , at the very least on loan. I mean he got back into the national team , surely someone wants him .

And what becomes of spearing after his 'breakthrough' season? . Also Shelvey , will he get enough minutes to not stifle his development ?

and still surprised to see Cole with us , and he doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon ....i get the feeling he wants to stay . If he wasn't on such a big wage i wouldn't mind keeping him too much in the hope he regains some form .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom