• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer summary 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, because it's Oncy's job to calculate wages 🙂 And also I'm not sure that we have any credible confirmation about what % of Reina's wages Napoli will pay. If we do, please post it here.

Here is my take on this summer's transfer dealings, based on nothing but my opinion and conjecture:

Sometime in the winter I wrote that it's a coin toss whether Suarez will stay or go this summer. Despite the turbulence of the last few weeks, I think nothing has changed in that regard. It's still essentially 50/50, and no matter how many bridges Luis burns in trying to force his move, if Real get Bale and Arsenal get priced out (both not unlikely), he will probably have no other option except to turn around and "pledge" his future to LFC for at least one more season. And once that happens, I think he will be as committed on the pitch and the training ground as he always was. I don't expect him to sulk Tevez-style and if anything, he will clean up his behavior towards opponents. But I digress. Obviously we are dealing with 2 starkly different scenarios here:

1. Suarez stays. In that case, we have roughly £20M left to fill 3 positions that Rodgers clearly regards as priority: 1st choice CB, backup LB, and a 1st choice attacker (most likely CAM/goal-scoring CM). Also, Rodgers will surely want to spend a few more million on some promising youngsters, like he did last summer with Yesil, cash crunch or not. Backup LB is the cheapest and easiest to fill position and I'm 100% sure we will sign a LB this summer. I think CAM is a slightly bigger priority for Rodgers and if he can't afford both, say, Eriksen and Papa, he will choose the midfielder and hope that Toure and Skrtel can hold the fort until next summer alongside Agger and Wisdom.

If somebody were to offer a substantial amount for Skrtel or Downing, that would change the equation but so far there are no offers. Rodgers can also try to raise funds by selling one of the players he actually kind of likes and would normally like to keep: maybe Borini, Henderson or GlenJo. But that also depends on other clubs being interested, and for now Rodgers can only wait.

If Suarez stays, my prediction is we will only sign an attacking MF (most likely Eriksen), an inexpensive LB and a couple of youngsters. Skrtel will stay but Downing will be sold for next to nothing in the last few days of the season to cut down on the wages. If the defense still struggles in the first months of the season, Rodgers will open the pocketbook for a defensive reinforcement in January.

2. Suarez leaves. We will have 60+ million to spend in this case. I think most of the "exciting" links of this summer belong in this scenario, all your muriels and konoplyakas. We cannot buy any 60 or 40 million players (none are on the market anyway), so the Suarez money will be spread out throughout various positions in the squad with probably no purchase over 20M. Rodgers is probably trying to agree or already has agreed the selling price for some of these targets, so that he avoids starting negotiations when everyone can see 60M burning in his pocket. If Suarez is sold, I think there will be a string of deals on our side announced within days of the sale - definitely a CAM, a CB and a striker and probably a couple more "luxury" purchases (probably at least one winger, maybe a defensive midfielder, maybe some more young attackers like Luis Alberto). I think this scenario will feel more exciting for some fans during the summer, but our results and table position would in the end be worse than in the scenario 1.

Like I said, this is purely my personal conjecture based on my reading of Rodgers' priorities and you're welcome to disagree or to point a finger when real-life events make a joke of my predictions.

Balance sheet
+20m sales profit (Carroll and Shelvey)
-22.6m expenditure (Iago and Alberto and Simon)
=
-2.6m SPENT

+16,900,000 Per annum wages removed (Carroll, Suso, Wilson, Carragher, Reina, Shelvey, Gulacsi)
-7,280,000 Per anum wages added (Iago, Mignolet, Kolo and Alberto)
=
+9,600,000 PER ANNUM saved.

Ive taken 100k a week off for Reina. He is paid 125k a week but I assune we are paying some of it.
Figure ammended.
So we have spent around 2.6m and saved towards 10m a year in wages....

So it's one month to go, and we've added three starters (Aspas, Mignolet, Toure), and one squaddy (Alberto). Definitely feels like Anfield Evolution not Revolution.

Its starting to look like asset removal.
At present we have spent nothing and the owners will be 7m better off per annum just in wages.
I cant lie im a bit concerned by all this.
Even our usual 20m hasnt happened.

Balance sheet
+21.4m sales profit (Carroll, Spearing and Shelvey)
=
-1.2m SPENT

+17,900,000 Per annum wages removed (Carroll, Suso, Spearing, Wilson, Carragher, Reina, Shelvey, Gulacsi)
=
+10,620,000 PER ANNUM saved.

Ive guessed at 18k a week for spearing.
We have now spent 1.2m net this summer and have banked over 10m in wages!!

Wheres the money going?

Updated with Downing and some small tweaks. I removed Agger from "potential departures" since I don't think he would be made vice-captain if there was any danger of him leaving for Barcelona.

Not so sure about that (Robbie was made vice-captain not long before he was sold to Leeds) but I suspect you're right to say that Agger won't leave. I haven't always been in his camp in the debates on here, but I do think he's genuinely a Red at heart.

Balance sheet
+28.4m sales profit (Carroll, Spearing, Downing and Shelvey)
=
-5.8m NET GAIN.

+22,000,000 Per annum wages removed (Carroll, Suso, Spearing, Wilson, Carragher, Downing, Reina, Shelvey, Gulacsi)
=
+14,720,000 PER ANNUM saved.

20m in the green so far this summer.
To clarify
20m budget we usually get in summer.
50m extra tv deal.
20m player sales and wages cut.
We have put about 90m in the bank at this point over the summer.
Good going considering we have only really got rid of useless fuckers. BUT we finished 7th....

Great business really.
  • Saving 14M in wages = phenomenal and very impressive.
  • PLus 5M in Sales/Purchases = pretty good
  • 50M in new TV Money - is this a hard number? When does the money come in? Has it already?

But footballing wise, as you say it's not exactly investing in a CL spot this season.

Balance sheet
+28.4m sales profit (Carroll, Spearing, Downing and Shelvey)
=
-5.8m NET GAIN.

+22,000,000 Per annum wages removed (Carroll, Suso, Spearing, Wilson, Carragher, Downing, Reina, Shelvey, Gulacsi)
-9,280,000 Per anum wages added (Iago, Mignolet, Kolo, Cissokho and Alberto)
=
+12,720,000 PER ANNUM saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom