• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other teams transfer news / speculation

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says new signing Mikel Merino will be out for a "few weeks" after injuring his shoulder during his first training session with the club.

Have to respect Arsenal.

They're doing all they can to win the league.

Caliafori, Merino, Neto, and now Sterling on loan.

That pretty much covers all their problem positions from last season.

Have to respect Arsenal.

They're doing all they can to win the league.

Caliafori, Merino, Neto, and now Sterling on loan.

That pretty much covers all their problem positions from last season.
They had a great defence last season. Merino is out for weeks. Neto not required. And Sterling in decline. I'd say they are going about it the wrong way!

They had a great defence last season. Merino is out for weeks. Neto not required. And Sterling in decline. I'd say they are going about it the wrong way!
Merino being out for weeks is unlucky (injury in training). It's a sign of intent to fill a hole in the side they've had since Xhaka left. He's a player that will improve them when fit again.

Calafiori potentially addresses a weakness they have, and also provides cover, in case Gabriel/Saliba get injured. It's a great insurance policy as you can't bank on them staying fit for a whole season (their title hopes collapsed 2 years ago because of a lack of cover; Rob Holding coming in for Saliba).

Timber coming back is also great news for them on that front (and at FB).

Sterling may be in decline (same amount of PL goals at Luis Diaz last year?) but irrespective, he's still a good player who will provide cover for them if Saka or Martinelli get injured. Also an experienced winner which can't hurt them in the run in.

Neto was needed as a back up GK for Raya (who people said wasn't needed when he signed, ironically).

Ultimately, Arsenal have done business to TRY and bridge the gap between them and City. Whether they will or not, is neither here nor there.

Unfortunately, we've not really tried to bridge the gap with our transfer policy. We're hoping Arne Slot outperforms Klopp with the same squad + 1. Is it possible? Sure. With better luck with injuries, better coaching and players improving drastically, it's certainly possible. However, I don't think we've given Arne Slot the best possible chance to win the league. We've basically said to him (and the rest of the squad; 3 of which have yet to put pen to paper on new deals), that 3rd place is OK.

If Jurgen Klopp had been given the same backing Arteta is given at Arsenal, I'd think we'd be all sat here talking about 2 CL titles, 2-3 PL Titles, a potential treble/quadruple, and a German manager who hadn't run out of energy competing against Citeh/Arsenal with 1 hand tied behind his back.

They kept adding players, even after spending 200m last season. That's ambition.

We, in contrast, are operating worse than clubs like West Ham.

We are not even spending the money we have made off players we sold.
All the talks that we have spent or are going to spend the dough on extending contracts is also a whole load of baloney.
Let's not forget the players on big contracts that have left the club.

I dunno. For merino you buy a player for years; not weeks. Neto is a backup keeper, and sterling gives them another bench option. Arguably they needed a 9, and didn't take the punt. They've actively strengthened.

Contrast to us, where we've bought a backup RW, when we also needed a starting 6, a backup CB and a backup lb.

"Ambition" was shown by one side.

I just don't buy this idea that we haven't bought because of a lack of ambition. That basically implies the money wasn't available. I don't believe that, and I've been critical of the owners for years. I think the money is there. Maybe other mistakes were made that prevented more signings, but I doubt it was a lack of ambition.

Merino being out for weeks is unlucky (injury in training). It's a sign of intent to fill a hole in the side they've had since Xhaka left. He's a player that will improve them when fit again.

Calafiori potentially addresses a weakness they have, and also provides cover, in case Gabriel/Saliba get injured. It's a great insurance policy as you can't bank on them staying fit for a whole season (their title hopes collapsed 2 years ago because of a lack of cover; Rob Holding coming in for Saliba).

Timber coming back is also great news for them on that front (and at FB).

Sterling may be in decline (same amount of PL goals at Luis Diaz last year?) but irrespective, he's still a good player who will provide cover for them if Saka or Martinelli get injured. Also an experienced winner which can't hurt them in the run in.

Neto was needed as a back up GK for Raya (who people said wasn't needed when he signed, ironically).

Ultimately, Arsenal have done business to TRY and bridge the gap between them and City. Whether they will or not, is neither here nor there.

Unfortunately, we've not really tried to bridge the gap with our transfer policy. We're hoping Arne Slot outperforms Klopp with the same squad + 1. Is it possible? Sure. With better luck with injuries, better coaching and players improving drastically, it's certainly possible. However, I don't think we've given Arne Slot the best possible chance to win the league. We've basically said to him (and the rest of the squad; 3 of which have yet to put pen to paper on new deals), that 3rd place is OK.

If Jurgen Klopp had been given the same backing Arteta is given at Arsenal, I'd think we'd be all sat here talking about 2 CL titles, 2-3 PL Titles, a potential treble/quadruple, and a German manager who hadn't run out of energy competing against Citeh/Arsenal with 1 hand tied behind his back.
Nice summation. But what I said was tongue in cheek - I should have added a smilie 😉

I dunno. For merino you buy a player for years; not weeks. Neto is a backup keeper, and sterling gives them another bench option. Arguably they needed a 9, and didn't take the punt. They've actively strengthened.

Contrast to us, where we've bought a backup RW, when we also needed a starting 6, a backup CB and a backup lb.

"Ambition" was shown by one side.
Don't disagree. But see above!

Not sure if loaning Sterling is such a good idea for Arteta and Arsenal. They have a pretty well worked group of players with the same team mentality and then you bring in some potential trouble.

Pick pockets and getting a club dog called «win».
Arteta is a massive weird legohead.

I just don't buy this idea that we haven't bought because of a lack of ambition. That basically implies the money wasn't available. I don't believe that, and I've been critical of the owners for years. I think the money is there. Maybe other mistakes were made that prevented more signings, but I doubt it was a lack of ambition.

i’d agree that it’s not money. imo we’re the goldilocks of transfers, that has now developed into declaring ourselves as opportunists

right signing, right price = basically only players with release clauses or those who declare undying love for liverpool

risky signing, right price = players with potential at distressed clubs or in end of contract situations

this is basically what we’ve limited ourselves to and why it’s taking forever to fill problem positions

Arsenal a due a long term injury to a key player. it felt like they had their full first XI available every PL game last season.

Arsenal a due a long term injury to a key player. it felt like they had their full first XI available every PL game last season.

they’ve been playing with fire with Saka for ages but he might just be one of those players who can do it

I think that arsenal sacrifice a new signing every year to avoid anyone else getting an injury. Last year it was Timber, this year it could be merino.

What do you think it is, then..?

Back
Top Bottom