• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Media : Who's Tipping Who for the Title ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
Writers in both the Telegraph & Guardian have tipped us and now Teddy Sheringham has too - any others ?

Manchester United legend Teddy Sheringham believes Liverpool will win the title next season ahead of his former club. The former Tottenham, West Ham and Portsmouth forward also backed Fernando Torres to finish the season as the league’s top scorer.
Sheringham told ZOO Magazine: “I'm going for Liverpool to win the title.†“They looked so good at the end of last season and will be the team to beat.â€
“United fans won't like me saying it, but it'll be their year.†He added: “I also think they'll have the Prem's top scorer in Fernando Torres.â€
“Benitez will play him in all the Premier League games because the title is so important to the Reds, whereas other clubs may rotate more.â€

Sheringham also suggested United’s midfield will have to start contributing goals if they are to stand a chance of winning an unprecedented four Premier League titles.
He added: “Man United have lost the goals of Cristiano Ronaldo and Sir Alex Ferguson loves players who score regularly.â€
“It's all very well being a good midfielder but if you don't contribute goals, he's usually not interested.â€
“Antonio Valencia and Anderson are tidy but they have to start scoring for the Red Devils are to win a fourth succesive title.â€

Jeremy Wilson - The Telegraph

Did I miss something? Did Chelsea sign Franck Ribery, David Villa and Fernando Torres while I wasn’t looking? Or perhaps they are about to launch into the summer transfer market with renewed intent. If not, I am really struggling to find an explanation for all the bookmakers that have made Carlo Ancelotti’s team favourites for this year’s Premier League title.
Let us just consider the recent history. Since 2006, Chelsea have gradually conceded their previous dominance to Manchester United and actually slipped behind Liverpool as well last year for the first time in seven seasons.
Their response? Change another manager (bringing in someone who won Serie A once during a full decade at Juventus and AC Milan) yet basically keep together the same squad that has failed to win the league for more than three years.
Yes, Chelsea do still have an excellent first XI when everyone is fit, but this group is ageing and are unlikely to have the depth and stamina to consistently sustain a challenge over the week-in, week-out grind of the Premier League. Cup competitions will again offer their best chance of success and, as they proved during an outstanding two-legged display against Barcelona, there are few better teams on a one-off occasion.
For the league, though, their status as favourites just doesn’t make sense, particularly if you study their limited options up front.

Charlie Nic's picks
Charlie expects good things for Liverpool, Everton and Fulham

Last updated: 11th August 2009

Charlie Nicholas is the latest to step up to the plate and you can read his thoughts below...

CHAMPIONS - Liverpool
It's always difficult at this time of year because there is still some negotiating time left. As it stands right now, I'm finding it difficult to separate Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United. This is as close as it's ever been in terms of how equal they all are, maybe one remaining purchase in the transfer market may make one of the three teams leap out. As it stands now, I'm edging ever so slightly towards Liverpool. In fairness, a couple of weeks ago my feeling for Liverpool would have been much stronger, with United losing Cristiano Ronaldo whilst Torres prepares hopefully for an injury-free season. Rafa Benitez has added Glen Johnson, it all stacked up. But Xabi Alonso's move is a blow, it will take Alberto Aquilani time to adjust so it makes things tighter - but I'll stick with Liverpool.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SPOTS - Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal
I don't think the top four will change. I'm anticipating that Arsenal will bring two or three players in, I still think that will happen and I think the manager acknowledges that need to buy. I believe Brede Hangeland is a prospect that could happen, I certainly expect another centre half to arrive. With Tomas Rosicky now injured I wonder if the Marouane Chamakh deal will rear its head again, and if Patrick Vieira was to come back I'd be more than happy. But I'm not fussed about Arsenal's midfield, they should be focused on signing another central defender and a striker to increase competition. If they do not, I'm not worried about them staying top four.

Jeff Stelling's Picks

CHAMPIONS - Liverpool
Manchester United are unquestionably weaker than last year, while Chelsea are no stronger and they are all a year older. Liverpool have got Fernando Torres, who will score a bagful if he plays for a full season (it's not exactly very original to say that is it?) and of course there's the inspirational Steven Gerrard. I was disappointed to see them get rid of Xabi Alonso, but they were so close last year and they barely need to improve at all. I just think it could be their year.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SPOTS - Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City
Obviously United and Chelsea will finish in the top four. I watched Arsenal in the Emirates Cup and they were absolutely brilliant, but I will go with Man City to finish fourth. There is a balancing act for Mark Hughes to perform there and I think we might see one or two of their players leaving in the next few weeks. However, it's not just the players they've bought this summer that have impressed me. There are players they bought last year like Shay Given who have now had time to settle in. On paper they have got an absolutely irresistible squad and I would put them marginally ahead of Arsenal.

FIFTH - Arsenal
Arsenal will score bagful of goals, especially in their home games and they play wonderful football, but they might just be found out defensively when they go to Stoke on a wet December day. That's why I think they might miss out on the top four. I don't see Villa or Everton being any stronger than last year, while Spurs have a load of defensive problems at the moment and they have a terribly difficult start to the season. With injuries early on, I think they could be playing catch-up - isn't that always the way with Tottenham? I hope they have a fantastic season and they could easily finish fifth, but having seen Arsenal in pre-season I think they will finish ahead of their North London neighbours.

SURPRISE PACKAGE - Burnley
I think Burney could finish fourth bottom - which would surprise a lot of people. You look at their squad on paper and it's the weakest in the Premier League by some way and they've got an incredibly low income compared to a lot of the clubs, but I really believe Owen Coyle is potentially a fantastic manager. The fact they came up last season, albeit by the play-offs, after playing so many matches with such a tiny squad - and playing such good football in the process - really impressed me. He's not quite a Tony Mowbray figure either. Burnley will knock it around, but there's a steeliness about them at the back and they'll put a foot in when needs be. Everybody has written them off, but I think they could be this year's Stoke. They'll play in a different way, but they'll achieve the same end product in staying up.

GOING DOWN - Birmingham, Hull, Portsmouth
The expectations are always so high at Birmingham that if things don't go well initially then the crowd will get on the players' backs and there could be problems. I don't see them scoring goals either. I think Hull will go because they just can't attract anybody for love nor money, particularly not for money! They are trying to buy players, but just can't get any in - and boy, do they need Jimmy Bullard fit as soon as possible! I also think Portsmouth will go because they've basically sold all of their big players, with one or two exceptions. They've terrible financial problems, they've got an old team now and it's so disappointing when you think about how well they did a couple of years ago when they won the FA Cup. Paul Hart is a top man, and a really good bloke, but I just think they're bankers to go down. Their demise is sad to see.

GOLDEN BOOT - Fernando Torres
I have to go with Torres. He had a fantastic first season in England, his second season wasn't quite so fantastic, but if he stays clear of injuries I think he will be the top scorer. If you want an outside bet, I do think Michael Owen will get a bagful of goals for Manchester United. He's 16/1, which is a very good each-way bet in my eyes. He's not the player he was, but at Newcastle he was expected to carry the whole team on his shoulders - and that was one of the worst teams in the Premier League. He was still their top scorer and at Manchester United I think he can get 20 goals this season if he stays injury-free. There's no reason why he shouldn't.

I am. This is the first time in years we have some pundits backing us.

Can't remember many in recent years. 😱

I think it's good to see. Despite Chelsea's small decline and United's dismal summer, it does show we've significantly progressed under Rafael Benitez.

We all wanted him to prioritise the league over the CL; he's now done that, and here we are.

I don't like how some of our fans want to be written off for the title. It makes no sense to me. 

The ones tipping us to be champs from Sky, are the same people who only thought only 2 of Liverpool's squad could make it into a combined Manu/Liverpool team. So I'm not sure how they came to this decision.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35200.msg922945#msg922945 date=1250070423]
The ones tipping us to be champs from Sky, are the same people who only thought only 2 of Liverpool's squad could make it into a combined Manu/Liverpool team. So I'm not sure how they came to this decision.

[/quote]

because manu lost two match winners in the season

When these tips are being bandied around just before the start of the season, there's quite often a team which becomes "flavour of the month". Media types being the sheep that they so often are, a mini-stampede of nominations for that team can often follow.

That said, the team in question quite often does do well in the season ahead, so it's all good.8)

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35200.msg922947#msg922947 date=1250070584]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35200.msg922945#msg922945 date=1250070423]

[/quote]

because manu lost two match winners in the season
[/quote]

Do the math.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg922957#msg922957 date=1250071874]
No worries.

Football Focus in Asia has already written us off, generally.
[/quote]

Phew! What a relief.

The last time we were backed as heavily was the year we signed Collymore to play up alongside Fowler, 95/96 season i think it was....

Unfortnately they hadnt factored in the all consuming excellence of David James.

We still need that class signing folks. Big time.

Yup.

Paul Masefield : Chelsea winners, Liverpool - 5th place
Abbas Saad : Chelsea winners, Liverpool - 5th place
Shebby Singh : Scum winners, Liverpool - 4th place
Jamie Reeves : Scum winners, Liverpool - 4th place

They all think Owen was a magnificent transfer, btw.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg922967#msg922967 date=1250072868]
Yup.

[/quote]

EVERYONE, all the SS pundits, believe he's the signing of the season. If we has signed him it would have been a 'sentimental gamble' or some such.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg922967#msg922967 date=1250072868]
Yup.

[/quote]

ah, that's better. i feel relieved. not jinxed.

I'm not tho.

Squiggs is right.

Owen was a fantastic signing.

Who'd you rather see in the squad, Owen or Voronin/N'gog/Babel?

Owen is a fantastic signing?? tell that to the geordies... I'm not so sure.

He's regularly crocked and always slow and doesn't add to play although he does have "the knack".
He does have presence and he is mentally caste Iron and professional however he is in no way whatsoever going to make up for them losing Ronaldo and Tevez.

Mind you I wouold have prefered him to no striker reinforcement at all.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35200.msg922977#msg922977 date=1250073621]
I'm not tho.

Squiggs is right.

Owen was a fantastic signing.

Who'd you rather see in the squad, Owen or Voronin/N'gog/Babel?
[/quote]

I'd rather have babel than owen. owen needs to play through the middle so its owen or torres because rafa plays one up front, and from the bench we'd need someone to stretch the game and create a chance rather than playing through the middle, (providing rafa doesn't sub torres off the pitch).
obviously if torres gets injuried than it becomes another matter entirely.

He's worth 50 grand a week to any big club.

Whether he's enough for them to win the title is another matter, but it's a zero risk signing for a player of undoubted quality.

Molby, I'm amazed I'm spelling this out but Newcastle paid £18M for him, therefore was judged to a completely different standard.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35200.msg922939#msg922939 date=1250069463]
I am. This is the first time in years we have some pundits backing us.

Can't remember many in recent years. 😱
[/quote]

According to the bookies there is very little money been bet on Liverpool to win the league which makes a change were usually well backed even if most of it was in loyalty betting.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=35200.msg922984#msg922984 date=1250074443]

Whether he's enough for them to win the title is another matter, but it's a zero risk signing for a player of undoubted quality.

Molby, I'm amazed I'm spelling this out but Newcastle paid £18M for him, therefore was judged to a completely different standard.
[/quote]

Squiggles stop being so precious you don't have to spell it out at all I was aware. For a club to sell Ronaldo and Tevez and replace their goal contribution with a hyper crocked has been? I do not describe that as a great signing.

I'm not saying that he isn't worth a free shot but he has been almost permanently injured for two years or more, yes he has quality but he is not anywhere near what he was nor will he ever be so....

When a player steps out onto the pitch what he costs is irrrelevent, he regularly let newcastle down and i sincerely hope he does the same for Man U free or not.

As for ourselves we needed better and sadly still do.

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=35200.msg923016#msg923016 date=1250079062]

[/quote]

Squiggles stop being so precious you don't have to spell it out at all I was aware. For a club to sell Ronaldo and Tevez and replace their goal contribution with a hyper crocked has been? I do not describe that as a great signing.

I'm not saying that he isn't worth a free shot but he has been almost permanently injured for two years or more, yes he has quality but he is not anywhere near what he was nor will he ever be so....

When a player steps out onto the pitch what he costs is irrrelevent, he regularly let newcastle down and i sincerely hope he does the same for Man U free or not.

[/quote]

It's about perspective.

He would have been a good signing for us because he would have been an ideal stand-in for Torres, you're never going to get more than that for a reasonable price.

For United though, people are down on the transfer because he's essentially replacing Ronaldo/Tevez (along with Valencia). He's also now the only out and out striker they've got, but then they didn't even have one last season.

His signing for United could still prove a bit of a masterstroke if he stays fit for long enough to add a fair amount of goals, for us though, just the idea of even 8-10 extra goals a season could maybe be the difference between 2nd and 1st.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35200.msg923024#msg923024 date=1250080022]
[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=35200.msg923016#msg923016 date=1250079062]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's about perspective.

He would have been a good signing for us because he would have been an ideal stand-in for Torres, you're never going to get more than that for a reasonable price.

For United though, people are down on the transfer because he's essentially replacing Ronaldo/Tevez (along with Valencia). He's also now the only out and out striker they've got, but then they didn't even have one last season.

His signing for United could still prove a bit of a masterstroke if he stays fit for long enough to add a fair amount of goals, for us though, just the idea of even 8-10 extra goals a season could maybe be the difference between 2nd and 1st.
[/quote]

that's a fair comment, it's also worth noting if owen started on fire (for us) then it would be worth tinkering with the 4-2-3-1 formation because the bottom line is goals win games.
well it will be interesting to see who is the mug at the end of the season, rafa for passing on him or fergie for buying him.

Exactly right.

He's fantastic not in the 'Ribery' sense, but he was free, and is a proven striker.

Even his salary is linked to appearances.

Absolute no-brainer.

And Neil : you'd really rather have Babel over Owen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom