• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool.. a view from a Chelsea Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
[Article="http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2015/05/driver-on-the-wings-weather-for-chelsea-v-liverpool-4/"]
Driver on the Wing’s Weather for Chelsea v Liverpool

Time changes many things. Society constantly adapts. The way people dress and the way people speak evolves.

London is constantly changing. The city’s architecture is forever developing. Its demography has never stood still. In a short walk around the capital, one cannot fail to see how the skyline is crammed with construction cranes and the pavements filled with people from all over the world.

Change is not new to London but possibly the pace of change is. Areas that have been for decades, rough run down and deprived are now centres of hipster activity and once bohemian parts of town are now gentrified and firmly in the hands of the professional classes.

The language spoken throughout London is also evolving. Take a look at films from the 1940s or 1950s and compare the accents with those that we hear today. The cut glass plummy tones of the upper classes and the cor blimey cockney sounds of normal people have both evolved and will continue to mutate as London evolves. The accents are moving together, blurring in the centre.

Liverpool is not so blessed. In the past it has changed. Changed from a small estuary village to a major international port and then to a relic of the past. The people have also changed. Lancastrian originally and then immigration from Ireland, Wales and the Americas, forged a separate identity.

At one time Liverpool looked outwards to the world and its people reflected that and their accent was derived from many different places.

But today, Liverpool looks only inwards. The accent that it adopted in the 1950s has not gently merged into the more refined accents of the surrounding areas. The accent of the docks is now a more pronounced accent of the dole queue.

As Liverpool has ceased to play a role in the world, so too, its people have ceased to take their culture from that outside world but look, instead, ever inwards.

Scouse as a concept has it origins in fairly recent times. Scouse was truly only identified by linguists as recently as the 1950s. The pop music and poetry, the comedies and dramas of the 1960s and 1970s solidified scouse in the popular imagination and allowed Liverpudlians pride in a city which was suddenly left without a purpose.

Success in the 1970s and 1980s on the football pitch reinforced that pride and left scousers clinging to an idea rather than a reality. Their sense of local pride reinforced an identity and, as a consequence, the nature of scouse, and with it its accent, evolved.

Scouse is one of the only accents, in this day of instant communication, world wide media and travel, that has become stronger and less intelligible. It is as though the people of Liverpool are telling the world that they are content only to communicate with each other. It is as though Liverpool, as a city, is an ostrich with its head firmly placed under the sand trying desperately to ignore the reality of the world that exists outside it.

Liverpool grew to greatness by embracing the world and the influences of the world. It was the European gateway to the New World. Now that that role has been replaced by Heathrow airport, it has turned inwards.

In the same way that gene pools are strengthened by cross fertilisation and are weakened by inbreeding, cities and communities grow strong by accepting external influences and grow weak by ignoring them.

Liverpool, if not its people, is as a city, today, inbred.

A rare beam of light will shine on a chosen few of its population who will, with others claiming allegiance to a city with which they have no connection, will travel to Stamford Bridge for a festival of football and a celebration of success.

Many will have bought their tickets in the hope of witnessing a meltdown similar to the one they saw last year but in reverse. They are already disappointed. They come instead to watch a lap of honour.

And they should do so in The Lying Rag.

It will be warm, between 19 and 21 degrees and the wind will blow from the south at around 10mph. There will be some cloud but otherwise the sky like the day will be blue.

The Lying Rag will set at around 8:30 pm The moon will be in the last quarter. Pollen from trees could be a problem.

There are a number of people who take exception to my views about flat caps. The elderly gents of Chelsea Fancast, in particular, are up in arms on the subject. Given their age and general infirmity, I suppose we should allow the this one indulgence but I would suggest that Sunday may be a little warm for a tweed cap upon one’s head.

Let’s talk instead of footwear.

White trainers are, I am reliably informed, the footwear of choice for this summer’s young trendy people.

Please note the adjective “young”. Brilliant white trainers on more elderly, or indeed middle aged men, give you the appearance of being a gym master. You know, that somewhat seedy, stale sweaty look that gym masters, dressed always in elasticated tracksuits which gave them an appearance of having been dipped in plastic, used to affect in the 1970s and 1980s. A slightly creepy look made worse by their insistence on going commando. A Jimmy Savile look. A permed hair, shell suit wearing stereo typical scouser look.

Best avoided.

Brown or black shoes or boots are some much better on the more mature gentleman.

Remember, you are Chelsea and Chelsea is style.[/Article]

Taken from chelseasupportersgroup.net

Apparently this guy is a legal eagle lawyer and Labelled Liverpool Fans scum at the game at the weekend.. This article was written by him earlier this year..

So all scousers are inbred.. I always thought that was Chelsea Fans tbh..

Has this guy ever been to Liverpool? I'm from the south east, and I work in London everyday, I know the place, I love it, and I hate it. Last year I went to my first Liverpool game in 8 years, it was the first time I'd ever been to Liverpool outside of Lime Street Station and a taxi cab, safe to say I didn't know the place, and I certainly didn't know the accent. In my day and a half there, I stayed in the centre, explored the docks and centre a little, ate at a fantastic Japanese restaurant, had a superb breakfast at another hotel, then was given a little taxi tour around famous parts of the city whilst making our way to Anfield. All in all it was a fantastic experience, the city was stunning and everyone in the city was so friendly and welcoming, maybe I just got lucky and didn't see the shit parts/people, but both me and my girlfriend were so impressed with the place, when finances allow it, we're eager to go back and stay a night or two again. Not at one point did I have any trouble understanding the accent, quite the opposite (a girl with a nice scouse accent is the opposite of a problem), I found it easier to understand than lots of people in Chelmsford and London, that's for sure.

Conveniently I was going to a game at Stamford Bridge two days later, the contrast was profound, for this guy to have the audacity to talk about unintelligible accents after some of the atrocious attempts I heard at English on the short journey there is something else. I grew up around these accents and I couldn't understand a word of some of it, I think it was attempted cockney, but it just sounded illiterate. Suffice to say this guy needs to actually visit Liverpool before he makes sweeping statements based on aged old stereotypes, and he needs to realise that whilst lots of London is superb, lots of it is not, until he does that he just sounds like a bitter Chelsea fan who's just been embarrassed by some scallies from up north.

@Mystic - is it only me who thinks the guy can't even pronounce his manager's name? The daft fucking cunt.
Nope, I think he's tried to be clever and thought "Look at how the names spelt, everyone is saying it wrong", not realising that the h in Portuguese makes an I sound.

Nope, I think he's tried to be clever and thought "Look at how the names spelt, everyone is saying it wrong", not realising that the h in Portuguese makes an I sound.
Like the people that used to call him Jose when he first became famous?

That guys in deep shit I believe. The chairman of the company he works for had to make a statement saying how surprised they were to hear him speak out like that and what a nice chap he is really. Hopefully he'll get fired the thick twat.

Has this guy ever been to Liverpool? I'm from the south east, and I work in London everyday, I know the place, I love it, and I hate it. Last year I went to my first Liverpool game in 8 years, it was the first time I'd ever been to Liverpool outside of Lime Street Station and a taxi cab, safe to say I didn't know the place, and I certainly didn't know the accent. In my day and a half there, I stayed in the centre, explored the docks and centre a little, ate at a fantastic Japanese restaurant, had a superb breakfast at another hotel, then was given a little taxi tour around famous parts of the city whilst making our way to Anfield. All in all it was a fantastic experience, the city was stunning and everyone in the city was so friendly and welcoming, maybe I just got lucky and didn't see the shit parts/people, but both me and my girlfriend were so impressed with the place, when finances allow it, we're eager to go back and stay a night or two again. Not at one point did I have any trouble understanding the accent, quite the opposite (a girl with a nice scouse accent is the opposite of a problem), I found it easier to understand than lots of people in Chelmsford and London, that's for sure.

Conveniently I was going to a game at Stamford Bridge two days later, the contrast was profound, for this guy to have the audacity to talk about unintelligible accents after some of the atrocious attempts I heard at English on the short journey there is something else. I grew up around these accents and I couldn't understand a word of some of it, I think it was attempted cockney, but it just sounded illiterate. Suffice to say this guy needs to actually visit Liverpool before he makes sweeping statements based on aged old stereotypes, and he needs to realise that whilst lots of London is superb, lots of it is not, until he does that he just sounds like a bitter Chelsea fan who's just been embarrassed by some scallies from up north.

Great summary of the two contrasting cities. I live in London myself and have done for 14 years. I've been to Stamford Shithole a few times (being from South Africa you got to as many games as possible - wherever - back then) and couldn't agree more. It was no one off. Liverpool is easily one of the friendliest cities in Europe! London... not so much.

Rubbish post by another uneducated rubbish rent boy

The "look at" bit is key here. Some people find it easier to learn visually than aurally. He might just be in that category, somebody who doesn't easily absorb info.he hears rather than sees. Doesn't stop him being an A-hole, of course.

London stinks of rats piss
Whoa Whoa Whoa! Now everybody let's just calm down! London is a boss place. Now Tom - You know you are duty bound to agree with everything I say - Sending you that signed LFC football gives me a bit of leverage. It was posted from London btw! Did it stink of rats piss? No. Did it smell of the massive act of generosity of a certain London dwelling Red Astaire? I think you know the answer buddy 😗

Whoa Whoa Whoa! Now everybody let's just calm down! London is a boss place. Now Tom - You know you are duty bound to agree with everything I say - Sending you that signed LFC football gives me a bit of leverage. It was posted from London btw! Did it stink of rats piss? No. Did it smell of the massive act of generosity of a certain London dwelling Red Astaire? I think you know the answer buddy 😗
I did wonder what the aroma was 😉

I've known him off twitter for ages. I mean I know that article looks a bit whatever but he's usually alright. He takes being called a rent boy cunt quite well and I've bombarded him with abuse over the years and it's all been taken well. In fact I think I might have sent him over the edge on the final whistle the other day with a tweet. Here it is:

Anyways people calling for his job and shit need to get over themselves.

Oh, here's another a bit later on. Poor lad.

clive_oconnell-2-220x275.jpg

Remember, you are Chelsea and Chelsea is style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom