• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's finally over. Thought's about our squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why we bought sakho and Llori. That's five players for two spots. Four for the minute. Is one of them going to play as a full back?

Too many cbs.
A cm short.
A striker short (if/when Sturridge and/or Suarez are out)
In general: a bit lightweight.
Mignolet can not get injured.

He's Lucas' backup.

I think for Rodgers a defensive midfielder has to be a smooth passer who is able to keep things ticking in midfield - it's non-negotiable because our whole style of play in based on that now. You could say it's more important to him than any defensive attribute in a DM. That's why Hendo will not play as DM for the first team any time soon. Judging from last season, Allen is Lucas's backup and Henderson possibly could be Gerrard's backup.

As most have said, we're light on forwards, but it's pretty sound in my book. We've revamped the squad to such a degree that we can now afford to focus on bringing in the 2-3 crucial first-team players in just two areas, the forward and midfield positions. This squad should see us competitive until Jan, and if we could bring in a top attacker and a combative box-to-box or defensive mid then, the sky's the limit.

We have one too many defenders but the stiffer fight for places would translate into better performances (see the matchday heroics of Agger and Skrtel).
Depending on form and fitness, the potential pairings could be Toure and Agger, Toure and Sakho, Agger and Sakho, Skrtel and Toure, Skrtel and Sakho (I doubt we'd see Agger and Skrtel again anytime soon if the all players are available).

The new defenders are really our game-changes this summer. In Toure, Sakho, Cissokho and Ilori, there's aerial dominance, pace, power and technique; skill sets which let us to play a higher line and be stronger against the more physical sides, addressing our past defensive frailties. Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson would be less burdened defensively and thus, be more effective on the offensive front. If we're short on midfielders, we could play three at the back with Agger, Toure and Sakho all capable of pushing up as an auxiliary midfielder.

Now, the attacking recruits are admittedly underwhelming, but I maintain we'll all be pleasantly surprised by them -- well, eventually. Moses appears to be a more realized version of Ibe, offering pace and power and goal threat on the wings, something we didn't have previously. What about young Sterling you say. To me, Sterling is of the diminutive, tricky variety of wide-men. What excites me most about Moses is not that he's been coached and played at the highest level, but that he's been coached and backed by one of the best -- Rafa.

The jury is still, rightly, out on Aspas and Alberto. An argument can be made that the money for them could have been better spent on a proven and established talent like Eriksen, or devoted towards the signing of Yarmolenko, a player who has the goal tally and burliness to hustle in our league. But... I trust the committee on this, and, to trot out another football cliche, once they settle into the pace of the Premier League, we'll see why the committee banked on them, and not Eriksen.

I could see Toure covering as a DM if needed - his brother can give him some tips 🙂 Agger might be able to do it too.

Much more likely though, Rodgers will use his option to switch to 3 at the back if Lucas is out. We might see 3-4-3 or its variations a fair bit more this season. With 3 or 4 quality CBs, now we have a whole new tactical option:

(3-4-3)
---------Sturridge-----------
Coutinho----------Suarez
-------Gerrard--Allen------
Enrique-----------Johnson
--Agger--Sakho--Toure--
-----------Mignolet----------

or
(3-4-1-2)
-----Suarez--Sturridge----
----------Coutinho----------
-------Gerrard--Allen------
Enrique-----------Johnson
--Agger--Sakho--Toure--
-----------Mignolet----------

I wonder in Brendan is already regretting pulling out of the deal for Siqueira (who ended up on loan at Benfica BTW - we could have definitely signed him if we waited a bit longer). 3-4-1-2 looks much better if you have 2 quality attacking fullbacks, Cissoko and Enrique both don't quite have the flair.

While I think Toure can do a job as DM, I don't think he should because he probably overexert and injure himself in the process. He doesn't have the lateral movement and agility as before.

Johnson, Cissokho and Enrique are good wing back candidates. If Cissokho can rediscover his old form, the form that made him a €15m player, we really will have options. Even if he isn't at his best, he will push Enrique to becoming a more consistent player anyhow.

Siqueira looks very cultured though.

We're obviously a bit light in the attacking mid/striker department, but we're trying to build and when you're not owned by billionaires it takes time. The next step of transfer business would obviously be an attacker and perhaps a central midfielder, we probably need extra cover at right back as Wisdom shouldn't be playing there and Kelly is a perma-crock.

By and large though we've done really well, two centre backs who are pretty versatile too give us much needed strength in depth and a bit of variation in style, particularly in terms of pace, power and technical ability.

I think Alberto, while clearly struggling to get to grips with the league, looks like a straight replacement for Coutinho in terms of style, he's shown a few glimpses of being able to thread passes already, he needs indulgence and perseverance though. Aspas is full of tricks and flicks, he's eager to get the ball and fight for everything, but he's lightweight and slightly off the pace, if we work on him there's a clever player in there.

Mognolet has been excellent, great shot stopping, he's got safe hands when dealing with anything thrown at him, but will need to get used to our back four and has to work on his ability to deal with setpieces, he's rushes out too much and get's caught in no mans land. So far though he looks and excellent bit of business.

Toure has been a revelation so far, his pedigree and his passion are second to none, he'll help us alot on and off the pitch. And with Sakho, we now have two winners, two title winners. Hopefully it won't be long before they're adding to their collection.

I have some concerns over our midfield options. If anyone of our midfielders are out for long we might not have strong backup.

Other than that I am pretty pleased with the squad. Not sure we need another striker as we have Sturridge, Suarez and Aspas.

What is on paper does not actually happens in the field most time. Dunno until they actually start to play with the team... so this jury is out for the time being.

What is on paper does not actually happens in the field most time. Dunno until they actually start to play with the team... so this jury is out for the time being.

That's a good point, actually. Sometimes we forget this.

That's a good point, actually. Sometimes we forget this.

Well it's true in many ways. Toure has been great after being labelled a pathetic signing from the off, while Aspas and Alberto have been crucified by many. It takes time.

The crucial point is we're adding players to the side from a position of strength and great form, rather than throwing them all into a team out of desperation.

The most encouraging thing about our squad is that we're more or less rid of all of our expensive mistakes now and can well and truly focus on the future. In the short-term there will be some question marks over what we do with Reina, Skrtel and perhaps one or two others, but by and large we seem to be past this idea of padding out the squad with guys we all know we'll end up struggling to shift in a year or two.

We've now got a core nucleus of senior players with a fairly low average age complemented by a couple loan signings and young players. I'm not sure it's enough to get us where we want to go right now (though if Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho tear it up for a season anything is possible I suppose!) but it should hopefully allow us to be a little more flexible when it comes to reshaping the team in future transfer windows.

I remain fairly baffled by our centre-back situation though. Not that bothered about seeing the senior pros sit on the bench but for Wisdom, Ilori and even Kelly it's going to be damaging.

No European Footy means we have a tema capable of coming in the top 3 if we don't suffer any long term injuries.

The only department where we are a bit light is CM.

And Toure ahead of Agger everyday of the week.

Our strongest side is looking superb.

--------------------Ming--------------------
GlenJo-----Sahko---Toure------Jose
-------------Gerrard---Hendo-----------
Moses-----------Suarez------Coutinho
--------------------Studge-------------------

Swap Suarez and Coutinho and Toure and Sahko over, and yes.

Three centre back signings couldn't have been expected, particularly with us keeping Skrtel, Agger and Coates.

Wisdom will surely have to go on loan in the Championship now, since he'll struggle for playing time. Sakho is clearly one for now, Ilori - if he's thought not good enough to start now it's the type of signing that doesn't often end well for us. I've no idea how good Sakho is but given how much better Toure looked than Agger and Skrtel you've got to think he'll also be an improvement.

Mignolet is looking good.

I've liked Moses for a while, I think he's got the potential to make a step up and become a very good Premiership player. It's a pity it wasn't possible to make it a permanent deal. I think he's our best attacking signing in the window.

Aspas is a big question mark, I wonder how he's going to score goals in this league. Alberto is another big question mark - he's probably a more obvious potential example of the young players we sign that never quite make it.

The positive is that by and large we're bringing in players whose best years are still ahead of them , although i wonder whether we might have been better served by using the Aspas/Alberto/Ilori money elsewhere - that's almost a 20m pound signing there.

It's strange but I still reckon Aspas will prove to be a success.

Three centre back signings couldn't have been expected, particularly with us keeping Skrtel, Agger and Coates.

Wisdom will surely have to go on loan in the Championship now, since he'll struggle for playing time. Sakho is clearly one for now, Ilori - if he's thought not good enough to start now it's the type of signing that doesn't often end well for us. I've no idea how good Sakho is but given how much better Toure looked than Agger and Skrtel you've got to think he'll also be an improvement.

I've liked Moses for a while, I think he's got the potential to make a step up and become a very good Premiership player. It's a pity it wasn't possible to make it a permanent deal. I think he's our best attacking signing in the window.

Aspas is a big question mark, I wonder how he's going to score goals in this league. Alberto is another big question mark - he's probably a more obvious potential example of the young players we sign that never quite make it.

The positive is that by and large we're bringing in players whose best years are still ahead of them , although i wonder whether we might have been better served by using the Aspas/Alberto/Ilori money elsewhere - that's almost a 20m pound signing there.

Spot on - we haven't addressed our midfield at all which Rogers doesn't seem to be bothered about, with no youngsters looking as if they will push through this season from the ressies. Moses will be a success I am sure but what is the point in developing a loan player only to give him back to Chelsea to benefit from next season, when this is likely to hold our own youngsters back. Agree with you on the Aspas / Alberto players - early days but they look like squaddies to me, surely we could have got one first team player for that investment. Overall we do have a much deeper squad, I would have sacrificed some of that depth for a good dm and a proper winger. Easier said than done these days though.

Is it good enough to get 4th?
It should be. It might not be the strongest squad in the league, it might not have all the "sexy names" Spurs and Arsenal have but we can beat any team in the league on any given day.

Apart from Ozil, who are Arsenals "sexy names"?

We have Gerrard, Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez compared to their Ozil. I know which side I'd rather be on.

Apart from Ozil, who are Arsenals "sexy names"?

We have Gerrard, Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez compared to their Ozil. I know which side I'd rather be on.

Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere & Giroud (he's sexying up).

They're a good attacking unit - definitely equal to ours imo ....

Well in the current moment both Coates, Johnson, Cissohko and Toure are injured. Whilst some of those may be short term, it means Wisdom will get a turn at RB instead of Johnson and we have no real cover for Enrique unless Sakho can do something there?

I'm pleased with the improved strength in depth in the defence, well certainly the implied strength in depth anyway.

Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere & Giroud (he's sexying up).

They're a good attacking unit - definitely equal to ours imo ....

I'd give you Cazorla, he's been running their show for a while. But Walcott can be hit and miss, Wilshere is injury prone and Giroud has not shown any longer term consistency.

I still prefer our attacking options. And I definitely prefer our defensive options!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom