• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's finally over. Thought's about our squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bernie-hamilton-starsky-and-hutch.jpg

Huh? What? Git your sorry asses in here this minute!!!

I agree with most of this, another good post from you mate.

And because I agree I am also feeling slightly worried, simply because we've bought a player like Alberto instead of the ones mentioned, whom despite being young, have already delivered at highest level. I am worried that it becomes the rule rather than the exception that we are only going for unknown/unsuccessful fringe players at their clubs (or players doing well in smaller clubs like Aspas) instead of picking up the ones that are already highly rated. By that token we would've never gotten the likes of Suarez and Torres for instance.

I know it worked a treat with Coutinho and Sturridge, but instead of only follow this path only he really should've addressed the lack of creativity in the squad. Strategy or no strategy, that seems a great mistake to me especially if Coutinho should get injured. Maybe not as pivotal as the mistake to let Carroll leave without replacing him in the squad - but it's a long Season and we look far to slim for my liking in that area.

It's not only one path - we tried very hard to sign Mkhitaryan, Costa and Willian who would all improve the squad right away (OK, I have reservations about Costa, but that's another story). We DID go for highly rated and expensive players in this window, it just didn't work out. We are not limiting ourselves to only one type of signing.

I think the bigger point made by RB is that a lot of it has to do with the manager's instinct.

If the manager feels that he can't / doesn't trust, like or can work with a player for whatever reason, when it's not going to work out. It's a question of fit.

It doesn't matter if he subsequently turns out to be ace in someone else's team.
I guess that's why David Moyes bought Fellaini, and Rafa bought Lucas. Players whose qualities they understand and appreciate. That player who looks overpriced but is a bargain in your hands..

(I guess that's also why it's crap that managers don't matter)

I think the bigger point made by RB is that a lot of it has to do with the manager's instinct.

If the manager feels that he can't / doesn't trust, like or can work with a player for whatever reason, when it's not going to work out. It's a question of fit.
A&A. Where did this term come from?

OK... I typed the first letter of the last name Alberto, which is "A." Then I added the "&" sign as a shorthand for "and." Then I typed the first letter of the last name Aspas, which is also "A." That makes "A&A". Which means "Alberto and Aspas."

Hope this explains it?!

*wipes forehead nervously*

OK... I typed the first letter of the last name Alberto, which is "A." Then I added the "&" sign as a shorthand for "and." Then I typed the first letter of the last name Aspas, which is also "A." That makes "A&A". Which means "Alberto and Aspas."

Hope this explains it?!

No. Do it again.

It doesn't matter if he subsequently turns out to be ace in someone else's team.
I guess that's why David Moyes bought Fellaini, and Rafa bought Lucas. Players whose qualities they understand and appreciate. That player who looks overpriced but is a bargain in your hands..

(I guess that's also why it's crap that managers don't matter)

Exactly. This is especially true for a manager like Rodgers. Some managers are paid to get the best out of whatever bunch players they happen to work with - many of the rotating mid-table managers are this way. They don't improve or educate players much, they are just there to achieve some short-term objective, create some order and discipline and squeeze the maximum effort from the squad. So if someone like that passes over an obvious bargain and a rival snaps him and gains an advantage - I would understand the rationale for criticism.

But if someone like Rodgers, or let's say Van Gaal or Marcelo Bielsa, doesn't seem to rate a player that everybody else thinks is great or picks up a player seemingly out of nowhere - that's really their right; they are team-builders, they have very specific criteria by which they judge whether the player fits their plan and that's just how they work. They should be judged by the results and by the overall direction of the club, but it will be hard to evaluate every specific decision, because we don't know their criteria and don't see the full picture of their plan.

Hope this explains it?!

*scratches head*

You're not making any sense!!

As wank as he appeared, I'm not sure sending Borini on loan was such a shrewd move. What goalscorers do we have for the bench now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom