• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Ipswich (a) August 17th 12:30 BST

dee

Part of the Furniture
Administrator
A MASSIVE apology.

In a n attempt to start using the pre/post match tabs I created a post match thread by moving about 35 posts into a new post match thread. It worked fine until I messed with the header post and accidentally deleted it .....

.... which deleted the whole thread and all the posts ... permanently

So sorry

Chuffed with the points, looked like a potential banana skin.

Impressed by Slot dragging off Quansah and giving everyone a kick up the arse, we were unrecognisable second half. Ipswich ran out of steam and yellow cards though.

Mo was my motm though Gravenberch and Szobo weren't bad second half. Jota was decent too except for a couple of loose touches / finishes.

Early days but some promising signs.

It's different to Klopp, but I'm not overly arsed providing his consistent with it and it's not personal.

Agree that Konate has to start next game. Brentford are very direct and decent at set pieces. Toney can be a handful too, providing he's got Brentford down to win.

Hopefully it starts a fire under quansah. There's a lot to like about him, and a lot more to come.

I liked his bit of humour at the start and made a lot of sense. Don’t like him naming Quansah like that. Gives off first day in prison and smacking a weakling in the dining hall vibes.
I agree, but I think this was bad media management more than anything.
I think that van Dijk (3 duels won out of 4 in the 90 minutes) was more of an issue than Quansah (4 duels out of 8 in 45 minutes). van Dijk wasn't involved enough in that first half, and he needed Quansah to dig him out when he gave a sloppy pass to the opposition in front of goal. Ipswich, rightly, targeted Quansah and Virgil should have been helping him out more. I thought he was pretty anonymous.
If Arne had said something like "I realised at half-time that I should have picked Konate due to the nature of the attacks from Ipswich" then he isn't calling Quansah out, he's saying it was a selection error. Then he can take credit for seeing it and not being too proud to change (remember how all the pundits used to suck Mourinho off when he made 3 subs at half time rather than calling him out for getting it so wrong in the first place)?
But the positive for me is that he made that change, it worked, and we'd won the game by the time Klopp would have finally got round to making his first subs. And we managed to win a game without conceding the first goal for a change.
Arm round Quansah's shoulder in the morning and we're all sorted. Then later in the season there'll be a game where he will likely make the reverse change when he realises he needs his second centre half to be better on the ball rather than physically beasting the opposition.

Its not personal and just a fact from the first half. Quansah is young and its no problem at all.
Konate is at this stage more physical and more suited to the way Ipswich play.

It was a very good tactical switch from Slot in all honesty.

I think that van Dijk (3 duels won out of 4 in the 90 minutes) was more of an issue than Quansah (4 duels out of 8 in 45 minutes). van Dijk wasn't involved enough in that first half, and he needed Quansah to dig him out when he gave a sloppy pass to the opposition in front of goal. Ipswich, rightly, targeted Quansah and Virgil should have been helping him out more. I thought he was pretty anonymous.
If Arne had said something like "I realised at half-time that I should have picked Konate due to the nature of the attacks from Ipswich" then he isn't calling Quansah out, he's saying it was a selection error. Then he can take credit for seeing it and not being too proud to change (remember how all the pundits used to suck Mourinho off when he made 3 subs at half time rather than calling him out for getting it so wrong in the first place)?
But the positive for me is that he made that change, it worked, and we'd won the game by the time Klopp would have finally got round to making his first subs. And we managed to win a game without conceding the first goal for a change.
Arm round Quansah's shoulder in the morning and we're all sorted. Then later in the season there'll be a game where he will likely make the reverse change when he realises he needs his second centre half to be better on the ball rather than physically beasting the opposition.

You could see in the first half which players had a short pre season.

It’s normal for teams to target Van Dijk’s CB partner more - the solution for that is not Van Dijk changing how he plays (which would lead to further problems downstream), but for the said partner to hold his own. Once Konate started winning his duels at 75% rate just like Van Dijk, Ipswich had no area to target and their attacking play collapsed.

It’s normal for teams to target Van Dijk’s CB partner more - the solution for that is not Van Dijk changing how he plays (which would lead to further problems downstream), but for the said partner to hold his own. Once Konate started winning his duels at 75% rate just like Van Dijk, Ipswich had no area to target and their attacking play collapsed.
No question on that. I just think he could have prepped a better answer to protect the player he subbed off. He knew the question was coming. I remember Stevie G one time saying that Rafa always used to choose the penalty taker before a game, and if the player missed then Rafa would take the blame for it to protect the player - it would be his fault for picking the wrong guy. Something similar would have been good here.
But I do think Quansah is the kind of character who is looking to improve and will take the criticism on the chin and use it to motivate himself more so hopefully no harm done.

Half the board dealing with factions and splitters and provisional governments and then the truth is laid bare.

Behold the Dee state.
Ha, it was your bloody post that caused the problem!

I was trying, and have been trying, to get everything ship shape on here as I anticipate having far less time to spend as I’ve got a rather challenging new job

I blame the bloody stupid forum software

Its not personal and just a fact from the first half. Quansah is young and its no problem at all.
Konate is at this stage more physical and more suited to the way Ipswich play.

It was a very good tactical switch from Slot in all honesty.
If Quansah can dish it out like he did talking about Matip, he should be able take some too.

I enjoy the no nonsense interview by Slot.

I liked his bit of humour at the start and made a lot of sense. Don’t like him naming Quansah like that. Gives off first day in prison and smacking a weakling in the dining hall vibes.

He's a bit mouthy isn't he? Not too impressed by this, just like I wasn't too impressed by him basically just announcing himself as our manager while he was still at Feyenoord.

Not ideal, hope it's something he can curb.

He’s doing everything right in my eyes. Massive boots to fill and so far acquitting himself well

Love Slot. The directness is a Dutch thing so nothing to worry about.

No wonder their national teams always fall apart in acrimony and bitching then. Which obviously isn't an issue at all for their ability to operate btw, because they're Dutch.

Back
Top Bottom