• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gill: Scum spending may not be over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Active
United may still spend

By Soccernet staff

July 16, 2009

Manchester United chief executive David Gill says the English champions may still add to their squad - despite Sir Alex Ferguson claiming his spending is done.

United leave today for a two-week tour of the Far East, and Gill said: "I will start each day with the usual emails and correspondence - and I'm sure there will be some player activity going on while we are over there."

Fergie has signed Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan, spending less than £20million.

This has left the club with a significant surplus of cash. So far this summer, they have received £80m upfront for Cristiano Ronaldo, shedding his wage liability at the same time, and have also sold Lee Martin and Fraizer Campbell. With an existing annual transfer budget purported to be around the £25m mark, Ferguson ought to be in a position to strengthen at will a team shorn of its best player and comprehensively beaten in the Champions League final.

However United's owners, the Glazer family, incurred astronomical debt in completing their takeover of the club, and may prefer to use the cash to improve their financial position. Earlier this summer, they caused consternation amongst fans of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American Football franchise by not spending all of the money permitted to them under the draft system, and may impose similar strictures upon United.

Personally, I believe they will be lucky to get 3rd if they don't bring in some genuine quality.

I knew it was too good to be true.

Expect some big name cunt(s) to sign on the last day of the window, as per fucking usual.

Not all of their recent signings (big or small) have make instant impact when they came in.. eg Berbetov, Nani, Anderson, Tevez, anyone else?

Yup....it will be the same as every year with some Sky Sports news cunt standing outside the gates of Trufford trying to find out whether Aguero, whose been rushed in from Spain at 11:48pm will make the 12am transfer deadline.

Same shite.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=34744.msg906837#msg906837 date=1247739491]
Not all of their recent signings (big or small) have make instant impact when they came in.. eg Berbetov, Nani, Anderson, Tevez, anyone else?
[/quote]

Tevez played a big part in closing out the league for them this year.

There are rumours that the Scum with sign Ashley Young from Villa, hence the 'replacement' Downing. Odds have shortened considerably on Old Trafford being his home for the new season.

He'd be a good buy for them

Nani hasn't delivered, Giggs is close to death, and their forward-line is now lacking pace.

RAFA EXPECTS UNITED SPENDING

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez expects Premier League title rival Sir Alex Ferguson to use his world-record transfer profits to strengthen Manchester United further this summer.

The Red Devils earned £80million up front from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid this summer to significantly boost funds at Old Trafford.

But despite repeated reports linking him with Franck Ribery and Sergio Aguero, Ferguson claims he will not spend any more money before transfer deadline day.

Benitez, though, believes his opposite number, who has bought Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan while also signing free agent Michael Owen, will venture into the transfer market before the end of August.

"I am sure they will have money and they will buy some players," said the Liverpool boss when asked about United.

Benitez is confident Liverpool will again be able to compete with United in the new season after finishing runners-up in the last campaign.

The Reds have signed Glen Johnson from Portsmouth and Benitez feels the England full-back will add a neccesary edge.

"We have to be strong next season. We have improved with Glen and hopefully we can do a little bit better and that will be enough," he said.

Benitez is also aware of the emerging threat of Manchester City, who have spent big this summer on the likes of Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez.

"I think every club now is trying to improve and Manchester City is one of them," he said.

"I would like to be there at the top of the table and be contending but I cannot say too much on the other teams."

RAFA EXPECTS UNITED SPENDING

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez expects Premier League title rival Sir Alex Ferguson to use his world-record transfer profits to strengthen Manchester United further this summer.

The Red Devils earned £80million up front from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid this summer to significantly boost funds at Old Trafford.

But despite repeated reports linking him with Franck Ribery and Sergio Aguero, Ferguson claims he will not spend any more money before transfer deadline day.

Benitez, though, believes his opposite number, who has bought Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan while also signing free agent Michael Owen, will venture into the transfer market before the end of August.

"I am sure they will have money and they will buy some players," said the Liverpool boss when asked about United.

Benitez is confident Liverpool will again be able to compete with United in the new season after finishing runners-up in the last campaign.

The Reds have signed Glen Johnson from Portsmouth and Benitez feels the England full-back will add a neccesary edge.

"We have to be strong next season. We have improved with Glen and hopefully we can do a little bit better and that will be enough," he said.

Benitez is also aware of the emerging threat of Manchester City, who have spent big this summer on the likes of Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez.

"I think every club now is trying to improve and Manchester City is one of them," he said.

"I would like to be there at the top of the table and be contending but I cannot say too much on the other teams."

Makes a change, Rafa not saying too much about other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom