• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

First true test of Slot's mettle?

Slot's first proper Big Game test?

• Scum

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Milan

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Other (state in comments)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

singlerider

Throbbing Member
Well - so far, so good. 3 games, 3 wins. 7 goals for, 0 against. Life under Slot is looking pretty good so far.

However, this has arguably been against inferior competition - Ipswich and Brentford are lower-tier teams that we really must be beating if we are to have any thoughts of being a title-challenging team.

The Scum were billed as being the first Big Game of Slot's tenure, and whilst it's one of those games that you can never predict or underestimate due to the history, in truth it wasn't really much of a challenge and we dispatched them with relative ease.

So the naysayers might contend that we've still yet to see a proper test of what Slot-ball is capable of. Maybe you're already sold, maybe 9 points from 3 games and smashing the Scum in their backyard has got you in the True Believer camp - but maybe you still think the jury is out and we need to see how they perform against sterner stuff?

So this is what the next 10 games look like:

Forest (H) - League
West Ham (H) - League Cup
Milan (A) - CL
Bournemouth (H) - League
Wolves (A) - League
Bologna (H) - CL
Palace (A) - League
Chelsea (H) - League
Leipzig (A) - CL
Arsenal (A) - League

So, out of that lot, at what point - if you're still on the fence - do you say "Okay, now we know the true level that this team is at"

Well - so far, so good. 3 games, 3 wins. 7 goals for, 0 against. Life under Slot is looking pretty good so far.

However, this has arguably been against inferior competition - Ipswich and Brentford are lower-tier teams that we really must be beating if we are to have any thoughts of being a title-challenging team.

The Scum were billed as being the first Big Game of Slot's tenure, and whilst it's one of those games that you can never predict or underestimate due to the history, in truth it wasn't really much of a challenge and we dispatched them with relative ease.

So the naysayers might contend that we've still yet to see a proper test of what Slot-ball is capable of. Maybe you're already sold, maybe 9 points from 3 games and smashing the Scum in their backyard has got you in the True Believer camp - but maybe you still think the jury is out and we need to see how they perform against sterner stuff?

So this is what the next 10 games look like:

Forest (H) - League
West Ham (H) - League Cup
Milan (A) - CL
Bournemouth (H) - League
Wolves (A) - League
Bologna (H) - CL
Palace (A) - League
Chelsea (H) - League
Leipzig (A) - CL
Arsenal (A) - League

So, out of that lot, at what point - if you're still on the fence - do you say "Okay, now we know the true level that this team is at"

I think the biggest test is how much he trusts the squad when it comes to rotation. The Home CL vs. Bologna feels an important rotation game to keep strength in the PL. But we don't know how much he will weight PL vs CL.

For me the most important game in there is Arsenal away. Chelsea at home is not as big as a trip to Old Trafford (even if it might be tougher on paper - although I'd disagree, as derby games are always different).

If we are still in good form going to Arsenal, and can get a result (and a good performance) I think we'll be able to form a solid early view of Arne.

I don't think it's about who we play, I think it's more about where we are during the season fitness wise, when the game is played and where the game is played.
Can we win after the international break?
How will it look when the inevitable rotation occurs? Midweek games, lunch time kick offs etc.
For me the bar will constantly be moved.

Man U away was a test despite how shit they are. Even Klopp had problems winning there.

Next test for me is Forest after the break.

To add some context to our first two CL games (Milan away and Bologna home) - both teams have played 3 league games and both have a record of 2 draws and 1 loss.

There's argument to say play strong and win these games against opponents who are weaker on paper. There is a counter argument to say consider resting or rotating (or committing to early subs) in those that should be the bankers for points.

United away is always a major test - it's why we rarely win there. Mentally, physically and tactically. Look at last season under Klopp when arguably United had an even weaker side. Yesterday was a big step in belief. Having credibility in Slot's tactics, and in the squad, without major reinforcements.

I also agree with the above - how we perform under rotation is also going to be key to the season, if we can maintain the same formations and level when rotating.

This is the Premier league and Champions League, every game is a test and should be treated as such. Every opposition, heck even Stoke away on a Wednesday night in the league cup will pose a different kind of a test.

We're going to be sitting 50 odd more exams between now and May, let's be best prepared for each 1 so we can pass as many as we can.

The biggest test will be when teams get used to our style of play and adjust accordingly. That will be the test to see how good Slott is. Ange started off on a flyer for spurs, but once teams figured out how they played he's found it a lot harder, especially with that high line. Right now we are getting away with our wingers isolating the fullbacks. I'm expecting teams to counter that very soon.

The biggest test will be when teams get used to our style of play and adjust accordingly. That will be the test to see how good Slott is. Ange started off on a flyer for spurs, but once teams figured out how they played he's found it a lot harder, especially with that high line. Right now we are getting away with our wingers isolating the fullbacks. I'm expecting teams to counter that very soon.
Can never subscribe to that line of thinking. Has anyone got used to City's? Or us under Klopp? Or Arsenal now after 2.5 seasons around the top?
Coaches and tacticians will identify styles of play after watching 1 or 2 matches but combating it is something else altogether. The quality of players is usually the difference maker with the tactics/style just being the method used to get the best out of them and their specific skill sets.

Away at Ipswich was the first real test. Newly promoted team who had gone an entire season unbeaten at home with the stadium jumping and a tight ground. This is exactly the sort of game where City will always win, but where we might come unstuck. See the Luton fixture last season for reference. The fact that we were really struggling and Slot changed it completely at HT was a great test to come through.

I don't have much doubt based on the quality of the opposition, because that's the general quality we'll play week in week out. The bigger doubt is just the small number of games - you can't really tell anything after 3 matches.

But of those 10 next games, I think the last one against Arsenal is the one where we can start making a proper judgement about how he's getting on. Will be 9 games in and played a title rival, and got an idea of how we're doing in the CL. Yeah, that seems a good yardstick.

Scum are shit but there's no doubt the occasion - and their motivation to rebound after a disappointing result last week - meant they were going to be a test.

One we passed with absolutely brilliant flying colours.

I think in all of our games so far, we could easily have gone a goal down. They didn't totally feel to me like performances likely to result in clean sheets over a season.

It will be interesting to see how we do when that happens, how we respond to a loss, how we do against a team that is equal to us or better etc. etc.

Scum are shit but there's no doubt the occasion - and their motivation to rebound after a disappointing result last week - meant they were going to be a test.

One we passed with absolutely brilliant flying colours.

Also for every player on that pitch they know that we drew and lost the two games there last season, even with 200 chances created. The mental block from that is almost important.

Poor the Chelsea. How far they've fallen...

What's with Milan then, are they just shit now? (I don't really watch anyone but us)

For me, I think if we beat Arsenal at their place (having hopefully dispatched everyone else along the way) then I think that's when the semi will be twitching

Wirh our record so far, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sense of insecurity across the EPL and in some CL teams. They will either come out guns blazing or with a game plan to limit the damage. It is the unexpected ones that I am worried about. The teams we dont expect to resist us. If Slot can take the approach of one game at a time, it will be more effective and will most probably see us through all those teams including Arsenal. Even if we fail against Arsenal but after having dispatched the rest, it will be good for me. The test is in the numbers.

I think he has been nothing short of brilliant and I never expected this at all - I am by default Slot Out - but that's because I am emotionally wrecked by Klopp's departure.

I have to say and without shame:

1) He knows how to nurture and use midfield talent better than Klopp - he has proved it already, and the players themselves know this - they just cannot say it. Our midfield is no longer just a bunch of recycling ball men, just running all day.

2) His actions to resolve issues as quickly as possible e.g. first game with Q, and also limiting game time to save legs.

3) Directness in both speech and action

4) The passing game we have now is brilliant - its not Pep Tiki Taka stuff, its less but direct with purpose and control.

5) Love the collective defending he has now implemented, I think this is something that will make both VVD, and Trent happy - because they know that if the ball is lost the team will run back and defend together - not leave our last line with 1 on 1 overloads.

6) Calmness - I just love it.

Fuck me I am so impressed with him - if say what I want to say I am going to be the jinx so will keep my mouth shut.

I don't think it's about who we play, I think it's more about where we are during the season fitness wise, when the game is played and where the game is played.
Can we win after the international break?
How will it look when the inevitable rotation occurs? Midweek games, lunch time kick offs etc.
For me the bar will constantly be moved.

Man U away was a test despite how shit they are. Even Klopp had problems winning there.

Next test for me is Forest after the break.
Didn't expect the answer to the question to come out so early... 🙁

Can never subscribe to that line of thinking. Has anyone got used to City's? Or us under Klopp? Or Arsenal now after 2.5 seasons around the top?
Coaches and tacticians will identify styles of play after watching 1 or 2 matches but combating it is something else altogether. The quality of players is usually the difference maker with the tactics/style just being the method used to get the best out of them and their specific skill sets.
I think it was shown today. Gravy wasn't given as much space and Moreno doing a job on salah. In general they played to frustrate us and it worked.

I think it was shown today. Gravy wasn't given as much space and Moreno doing a job on salah. In general they played to frustrate us and it worked.
Nah not having that. Post internationals with some of our players flying half way around the world. Lack of energy was the issue today. And Gravy was yet again one of our MotM.

Any team can have an off day.
You can't point to a single match and say... See?!

Back
Top Bottom