• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barry hits back @ Rafa's rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
puzzled-man.jpg

Rafael Benítez can't complain about Gareth Barry, says Martin O'Neill
• Liverpool 'took signing for granted'
• O'Neill will resist bid for Ashley Young

Stuart James The Guardian, Monday 20 July 2009 Article history

Martin O'Neill believes that Rafael Benítez can have no complaints over Gareth Barry's decision to move to Manchester City rather than Anfield because, according to the Aston Villa manager, Liverpool never made an inquiry for the England player at the end of last season despite being aware of the £12m asking price.

Benítez remains furious with Barry for opting to join City last month, with the Liverpool manager claiming that the wages on offer in Manchester – the 28-year-old is understood to be earning around £130,000-a-week – were the sole motivation for his decision. O'Neill, however, has revealed Liverpool failed to submit an offer and, though "surprised" at Barry's choice of club, suggested that Benítez had taken the signing of the midfielder for granted.

"I had said to Gareth's agent before that we were not going to have the same debacle as last year and that they were perfectly at liberty to speak to, I assumed, the top four teams," said O'Neill. "Liverpool were aware of the price that we were asking if that was the case. Liverpool did not contact us directly at all in this matter and never offered any money for him so you get the impression that, eventually, it was a straight choice.

"I'm not protecting anybody here," continued the Villa manager. "I was a bit surprised that Gareth mentioned about the Champions League [before] going [to City] – that's people's prerogative. But Liverpool had not put a bid in and we hadn't heard anything from them. There was an agent working supposedly on their behalf but no offer had been forthcoming and Gareth left. If he wanted to leave, that was up to him. Where he went to was obviously a bit of a surprise."

Asked whether he thought Liverpool took it for granted that Barry was going to move to Anfield, O'Neill replied: "They may well have done." Liverpool are also believed to be interested in signing Ashley Young but O'Neill will strongly resist any approach for the England player. Benítez is reported to be preparing a £20m offer for the 24-year-old but Villa's valuation is £10m higher and even then the Midlands club would be reluctant to part with their most valuable asset.

MON simply does not like Rafa, and certainly will not invite him for a drink.

i get the impression from rafa's dig that we wanted barry. if we failed to put a bid in then who's responsibility is that? certainly not barry's

Betcha he gets 1 season at City then Jose Enriquo Suazo eurobastard and Solocamara diarrouf are signed to add glamour to the midfield.

i'm sure that would once be the case but i reckon with the increasing likelihood of this home grown player thing expanding this is not as likely a it once was.

in all honesty i didn't want barry last year but now that alonso is leaving, 12 million for barry seems a no brainer.

MON's spot on.

Any bitterness Liverpool feel towards Barry - and that's what it is - is better directed elsewhere.

As I suspected, we didn't even make a move for him. And if does want CL football, he is better going to City then pursuing his career at Aston Villa.

I thought there was some talk about us matching the transfer fee, but i broke down over personal terms.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

If Citeh offered more money, he has every right to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom