• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

5 u18 players promoted to Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34129.msg889761#msg889761 date=1245219856]
Liverpool: David Roberts, Stephen Darby (captain), Robbie Threlfall, Jack Hobbs, Godwin Antwi, Charlie Barnett, Paul Barratt, Ryan Flynn, Craig Lindfield, Paul Anderson, Adam Hammill. Subs: Josh Mimms (GK), Jimmy Ryan, Michael Nardiello, Miki Roque, Jay Spearing.

Liverpool: Roberts, Spearing (capt), Threlfall, Darby, Burns, Ryan, Putterill, Flynn, Lindfield, Ajdarevic, Barnett. Subs: Mimms, Highdale, Parsonage, Irwin, Woodward.

Not many left from the FA Youth Cup winning squads. Be interesting to see what happens to some of them this summer. Spearing and Darby are at a bit of a crossroads having spent two seasons with the reserves now. Hammill and Anderson have been on loan for a while, so surely a decision will be taken sooner rather than later.
[/quote]

Didn´t Anderson go to Swansea?

Heh, well I suppose it's a little harder to judge Darby as I'm not sure he really excels in any one area - keeps things simple for the most part. Maybe he'd make the step up and do the same in the Prem, nothing at all wrong with that, but not sure he has the physical attributes.

Would be nice to see him do well though.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=34129.msg887597#msg887597 date=1244933126]
Kennedy
Huth
Roque
O'Connor
Scott
Cooper
Highdale
Antwi
Flynn
Puterill

[/quote]

So are we not even getting fees for any of these players? I thought Antwi and Roque were 'highly rated'?

I remember reading that Roque couldn't get a game at the lower league Spanish club we sent him to. Antwi has spent the last couple seasons at League 1 clubs where he's supposedly done okay, but that's not really of much use to us. He played for the reserves in the last few games of the season and doesn't look up to much to be honest.

I'd like to see Spearing get a go next season to see how / whether he'd cope with the phsyical demands of the Premiership. I remember Milner (what happened to him?) used to argue that his size wasn't an issue, whereas I always thought it'd count against him, but I've gradually softened.

For a player that started out in defence, he's done very well since being moved into midfield. He can pass, shoot, score pens, take free kicks, corners... I hate to say it but he is a bit like a mini-Gerrard. And he combines that with the qualities that make Carra so special to us - wears his heart on his sleeve, gives 110% every game and is constantly barking at other players.

If he had the physique and athleticism of Gerrard, he'd have surely been in with a shout by now.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34129.msg889782#msg889782 date=1245225055]
I'd like to see Spearing get a go next season to see how / whether he'd cope with the phsyical demands of the Premiership. I remember Milner (what happened to him?) used to argue that his size wasn't an issue, whereas I always thought it'd count against him, but I've gradually softened.

For a player that started out in defence, he's done very well since being moved into midfield. He can pass, shoot, score pens, take free kicks, corners... I hate to say it but he is a bit like a mini-Gerrard. And he combines that with the qualities that make Carra so special to us - wears his heart on his sleeve, gives 110% every game and is constantly barking at other players.

If he had the physique and athleticism of Gerrard, he'd have surely been in with a shout by now.
[/quote]

Has Spearing ever played full-back? I just think his size would be less of a problem there (look at Evra, Lahm etc), and let's face it, unless Mascher or Xabi or (*prays*) Lucas leaves, his chances at CM are going to be pretty limited.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=34129.msg889791#msg889791 date=1245227647]

[/quote]

Has Spearing ever played full-back? I just think his size would be less of a problem there (look at Evra, Lahm etc), and let's face it, unless Mascher or Xabi or (*prays*) Lucas leaves, his chances at CM are going to be pretty limited.
[/quote]

Yeah, might be worth a shout, however with the arrival of Johnson, the chances in the fullback position are likely to be just as limited.

[/quote]

Didn't you once say he's more like Danny Murphy than Gerrard, Keni, on one of the numerous occasions I've championed the lad as a mini-Gerrard?

I remember thinking he might just be somewhere between the two.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=34129.msg889863#msg889863 date=1245233076]
I likened him to Davey Thompson. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

[/quote]

Yeah, I remember that (now) too. Someone also definitely likened him to Spud.

Anyway, the lad deserves his chance and I'm convinced he'd take it. He certainly wouldn't be a bad shout at right back either to begin with (more echoes of Gerrard).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom