• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Have to say this guy's assessment of what Xabi would do and what players are required seems to me to be way off.

1. He's assuming that Xabi will want Liverpool to become a carbon copy of his Leverkusen side - whereas Xabi has already shown a lot of tactical flexibility and would be insane to completely change a trophy / title winning side (hehe).

2. He says we have no pace amongst our CBs (a la Hincapie at BL), well Konate would like a word.

3. What is he on about when he states playing a Back 4 makes it difficult to play into midfield (hence why a Back 3 is better under Xabi's system)? We don't have any issue at the moment, in fact we are excellent at it, and it doesn't stop our FBs getting forward. It's almost as if he never watches our games.

4. He thinks Gravenberch is the best option alongside Mac - but doesn't mention Jones who is even better in retaining possession.

I could go on (and usually do!) however it seems pointless because I strongly disagree with this guy's assessment and even more strongly doubt Xabi would be so stupid as to try to turn us into a BL copy, he'd tweak what we have and utilise the players we have (as he tried to do at BL before making changes in his 2nd season there).

Have to say this guy's assessment of what Xabi would do and what players are required seems to me to be way off.

1. He's assuming that Xabi will want Liverpool to become a carbon copy of his Leverkusen side - whereas Xabi has already shown a lot of tactical flexibility and would be insane to completely change a trophy / title winning side (hehe).

2. He says we have no pace amongst our CBs (a la Hincapie at BL), well Konate would like a word.

3. What is he on about when he states playing a Back 4 makes it difficult to play into midfield (hence why a Back 3 is better under Xabi's system)? We don't have any issue at the moment, in fact we are excellent at it, and it doesn't stop our FBs getting forward. It's almost as if he never watches our games.

4. He thinks Gravenberch is the best option alongside Mac - but doesn't mention Jones who is even better in retaining possession.

I could go on (and usually do!) however it seems pointless because I strongly disagree with this guy's assessment and even more strongly doubt Xabi would be so stupid as to try to turn us into a BL copy, he'd tweak what we have and utilise the players we have (as he tried to do at BL before making changes in his 2nd season there).
Amen.

Thanks for saving me 20 minutes. Not every Youtube expert is actually one.

Bayer Leverkusen reached 30 games unbeaten in all competitions this season with a 3-2 comeback win over VfB Stuttgart to reach the DFB Pokal semifinals Tuesday.

Jonathan Tah's 90th-minute header won the game and spared Xabi Alonso's team of having to play extra time ahead of a league game Saturday against title rivals Bayern Munich.

Tah was left completely unmarked to head in from close range and complete the comeback for the Bundesliga leaders after they had twice cancelled out Stuttgart goals.

Leverkusen are the first team in Europe's top five leagues to reach 30 games unbeaten in all competitions from the start of the season since Juventus in 2011-12.

Leverkusen, whose most recent major title victory was the 1993 DFB Pokal, are still in the mix for three titles this season, including the Europa League.

"What makes us strong is that we are focusing only on us," Tah said. "We are not focusing on what could happen at the end of the season, and that is the we way we will keep going."

The visitors took an 11th minute lead with Waldemar Anton's looping header at the far post after he shook off his marker.

The hosts bounced back five minutes after the restart with Robert Andrich curling an unstoppable shot into the top corner but in the 58th he lost possession allowing Chris Führich to drill in for a renewed Stuttgart lead.

It only lasted until the 66th when Florian Wirtz sent substitute Amine Adli through and he slotted the ball past keeper Alexander Nübel in to make it 2-2.

With the game set for extra-time, Germany international Wirtz floated a deep, pin-point cross for Tah to snatch the winner.

Fortuna Düsseldorf and Kaiserslautern are already through to the last four while Saarbrucken face Borussia Monchengladbach in the remaining quarterfinal on Wednesday.

Andrich's goal @ 3:08 :cool:
Wirtz's assists @ 4:31 (Adli scoring the equalizer within mins of coming on) and 5:08 (y)
Kovar's passing his way into trouble @ 3:35 o_O

Can Alonso bring Wirtz along too, if he is indeed appointed?

w

Last edited:
One of the few redeeming features of RAWK (from what I can remember having been there for about 10 minutes 15 odd years ago) was that they banned cut & paste of the BBC gossip page in any transfer or manager rumour threads.

The 5️⃣ best starts to a #Bundesliga season ever!
@Bayer04Fussball and @FCBayern go into #TheBigOne with two of the best starts to a season in Bundesliga history!

Untitled
Fy6BaOS.jpeg

Last edited:

Now aged 58, Riedle is a long-serving global ambassador for Dortmund and has seen first-hand just how challenging it is to replace someone of Klopp’s stature.

“We’re on our sixth coach since Jurgen left,” he explains. “Dortmund fans still love him. He’s the best ever in the club’s history. Watch the videos when he said his goodbyes, in 2015. It was maybe one of the most emotional exits from a coach ever. There were a lot of tears – 80,000 people crying. I’m sure it will be the same here. He has a secret when it comes to connecting with people. He knows how to get people together.

“He’s won nearly all the titles there are to win and it’s also the fact that his team play spectacular football. You’re not going to find a double of Jurgen. It’s not easy, but Liverpool have time and I pray that they find the right decision.”

“Xabi is doing an incredible job,” Riedle adds. “I’ve never seen Leverkusen play like they are doing at the moment. He deserves a lot of credit. He’s changed the whole team around and made some very good signings.”

Would his style of football be a good fit for Liverpool?

“It fits completely,” Riedle says. “I’d say Jurgen’s football is slightly different, but Xabi likes to attack, too. If you see them pressing in the opposition half, it’s really impressive.

“He has the eye, he has the desire, he knows Liverpool as a club and as a city. He’s a legend here — everyone knows and respects him. I don’t know what his plan is or what Liverpool will decide to do, but I think he would be a fantastic choice.”

“Everyone in Germany was as shocked as everyone here,” Riedle adds. “It’s sad, but you have to respect his decision. If you coach like Jurgen coaches, it’s very intense. He did seven years at Mainz and seven years at Dortmund before joining Liverpool. It’s bound to take a lot of energy out of you.

“Coaching a club like Liverpool, there’s always so much pressure. I think he was thinking about his family. Last season wasn’t the best season. But he brought in new talents, young players have come through, and he feels like he’s leaving a very good team for the future. He deserves a break.

“I think it was the right decision to get it out there now, rather than wait. The players will want to win even more for him. They could still win another four trophies together. Everyone will put everything in to give him the best ‘adios’.”

Klopp has vowed to have a year off before considering whether to return to management. The perceived wisdom is that it’s a matter of when, not if, he gets the Germany national team job.

“Jurgen is such a big star in Germany and everyone hopes that one day he will take over,” Riedle explains. “It just depends on when he feels recharged, and also on the performances of the German national team at the Euros (on home soil) this summer. If that goes well, then I can’t see there being a change with (current manager) Julian Nagelsmann. If things don’t go well, then Jurgen would be first in the list.”

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I haven't really considered is how long we are willing to give a new manager in this day and age? We're never going to be a club who acts like our peers and says "enough is enough" quickly, unless it gets to Hodgson levels bad. We all know it's more likely to be a difficult transition over a seamless one, even though we do have a good squad. We'll inevitably face a couple of unexpected departures as teams do on the back of most managers leaving.

I guess what I'm saying is we have to be prepared for a season where it might not go so well. How much of that we pin on the wholesale changes or the efforts of the manager adds a whole different context to it all. Or maybe whoever comes in will just pick up where Klopp left off in terms of us sustaining our challenge. Who knows.

I'd like to think that any new manager will be given time to implement their style and work with the existing squad and any new signings - say 3-4 seasons and if progress is shown on the pitch i'm fine with that.

I'm praying it's Xabi. They're are no guarantees with most things in life but he sends like a great fit and it would be exciting to see what tactics he employs, what players he brings in and how our current players adapt.

But first ... 4 trophies for Klopp svp.

I'd say - within reasonable bounds, ie midtable at worst - I think the new manager will get 18 months max. If they finished say 12th in the first season then they'd probably be sacked, but I could imagine them being given another 6 months to show progress.

I think it would depend on how the structure is coming in. It might've been easier if we had a DoF already, but since we have to appoint a new one, I feel it gives FSG more excuse to not take the blame if things don't go well in the short term. In the past they went over Brendan Rogers to buy Ballotelli, and then succumb to Rogers pressure to buy Christian Benteke, so the future would depend on how much faith they have in either one of the role if it doesn't work out quickly.

One thing I haven't really considered is how long we are willing to give a new manager in this day and age? We're never going to be a club who acts like our peers and says "enough is enough" quickly, unless it gets to Hodgson levels bad. We all know it's more likely to be a difficult transition over a seamless one, even though we do have a good squad. We'll inevitably face a couple of unexpected departures as teams do on the back of most managers leaving.

I guess what I'm saying is we have to be prepared for a season where it might not go so well. How much of that we pin on the wholesale changes or the efforts of the manager adds a whole different context to it all. Or maybe whoever comes in will just pick up where Klopp left off in terms of us sustaining our challenge. Who knows.

Regards possible player departures Mark, do you think Leverkusen's improvement under Alonso may give our current players who may want to move cause to give the new manager some time before considering their options?

If, of course, Alonso is appointed...

If alonso(or whoever gets top 4) next season he would have done well. I think that's all we can expect really. Going from a running blood and thunder team to a semi tiki taka will take some adjustment. As long as we dont go the way of man utd or arsenal i'll be happy. But no chance we will challenge for the title next season.

Regards possible player departures Mark, do you think Leverkusen's improvement under Alonso may give our current players who may want to move cause to give the new manager some time before considering their options?

If, of course, Alonso is appointed...

I'd hope so, I can't see many deciding to go, but who knows, it's a big change that's afoot and you have to also think about the players who might have moved in the last couple of years if it weren't for the staying power that Klopp instilled, Salah etc.

If alonso(or whoever gets top 4) next season he would have done well. I think that's all we can expect really. Going from a running blood and thunder team to a semi tiki taka will take some adjustment. As long as we dont go the way of man utd or arsenal i'll be happy. But no chance we will challenge for the title next season.
I don't think that's the best we can hope for, I think we should have the expectancy that whoever comes in will at least maintain CL for the first couple of seasons.

As much as we've competed and lost sometimes by a small margin, I also think we could have decreased those margins if we'd made one or two smart/different decisions, particularly around Trent. I think we've lost or dropped points in many decisive, big games because we've been naive over issues that were apparent for a long time. For all our excellent blood and thunder football, we were outfoxed a few times by Madrid for instance in exactly the same way. We were picked off, too open, not clever enough. Same with Trent, for all his quality and ability, the flaws in his game/role have never really fully been rectified and it's most noticeable and damaging in the big games, that's not to say he hasn't been THE difference in big games too, but there are times when particular opponents have the measure of him and we haven't always had an answer (Arsenal and United have repeatedly punished him).

A few tweaks here and there and not a complete overhaul can have a massive positive effect.

He’ll be called a shite manager after going 1-0 down after 15 minutes of his first press-season friendly.

Calls for his head will start at half time.

Well then have two and a half seasons of “I told you he was shite” and wining nothing before he gets sacked after not qualifying for Europe and an unfortunate League Cup exit to Huddersfield Town.

Jay Spearing will be appointed interim manager.

Half the site, by this point, will be dead have had their power cable mysteriously stop working and stopped logging on.

The negativity in this thread is astounding. Mid-table? 12th? WTAF? This isn't Ferguson retiring and leaving United fucked with an aging squad requiring a total overhaul. Klopp has done us and himself proud.

We have a very strong squad with lots of strong young players who will have experience of a title chasing run in and hopeful trophies in the form of the EL and LC at least (makes Dreamy sacrifice). Plus a core of world class players.

The team and squad will be in a strong place. It's possible Mo will leave (and if he does there's our player kitty). However I'll be surprised if anyone leaves (bar Matip etc.). Assuming Xabi is inbound (we won't know until the end of the season as he won't want to demotivate his team) I can see contract renewals maybe on hold for 6 months before they renew - but that's a worse case scenario. They could renew with get out clauses if it doesn't work out for them.

I've every confidence that Xabi can make this squad, with of course 2-3 additions in the Summer, continue to challenge for trophies. Midtable? Outside the Top 4? You have to be joking.

The negativity in this thread is astounding. Mid-table? 12th? WTAF? This isn't Ferguson retiring and leaving United fucked with an aging squad requiring a total overhaul. Klopp has done us and himself proud.

We have a very strong squad with lots of strong young players who will have experience of a title chasing run in and hopeful trophies in the form of the EL and LC at least (makes Dreamy sacrifice). Plus a core of world class players.

The team and squad will be in a strong place. It's possible Mo will leave (and if he does there's our player kitty). However I'll be surprised if anyone leaves (bar Matip etc.). Assuming Xabi is inbound (we won't know until the end of the season as he won't want to demotivate his team) I can see contract renewals maybe on hold for 6 months before they renew - but that's a worse case scenario. They could renew with get out clauses if it doesn't work out for them.

I've every confidence that Xabi can make this squad, with of course 2-3 additions in the Summer, continue to challenge for trophies. Midtable? Outside the Top 4? You have to be joking.

It’s a big change though - entire new coaching team plus potentially new tactical set up - lots of potential for it to go tits up.

In total agreement here.

Ferguson stayed too long at Man Utd and they didn't replace players. Klopp was guilty of that a couple of seasons ago but he's adapted hence the 2.0

This squad should be in a title challenge next year. If we fall away Feb time that's alright, but top 4 is the minimum expectation. We've a solid side which needs a few minor tweaks.

If mo goes, that's an issue, but we'll adapt. It shouldn't be an excuse

In total agreement here.

Ferguson stayed too long at Man Utd and they didn't replace players. Klopp was guilty of that a couple of seasons ago but he's adapted hence the 2.0
I derided our youth system in the past but part of Klopp's genius is he can see much further than fans, and I am sure it was he who insisted on new training grounds and its set-up.
Trent, Jones, Quansah and now Bradley will save the club 10's of millions. There's plenty more that are just waiting to break through.
The priority for the new team (SD+Manager) isn't who to buy but its who to keep or sell.
Salah, VVD, Robbo, Ali and Trent all are coming towards the end of their contract and sorting those out is priority. Gomez and Bradley have addressed the wb positions.
Morton has had an impressive time at Hull, and deserves a chance to prove himself in the first team. Hypothetically if all those players mentioned above renew including Salah, the only position that would need addressing is a CB.
Sorry @moron unless there's departures, there isn't much I would buy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom