• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Could anyone see Thiago as Xavi's number 2 if he decides to hang his boots. It's in Feb 2022 he had issues with his hip, he had a brief stint in a couple of games inbetween only to be injured again, I think there was like 20 days between him coming back and being injured again.
They call him "the Professor" as he does like to offer his opinons on on-field matters

Could anyone see Thiago as Xavi's number 2 if he decides to hang his boots. It's in Feb 2022 he had issues with his hip, he had a brief stint in a couple of games inbetween only to be injured again, I think there was like 20 days between him coming back and being injured again.
They call him "the Professor" as he does like to offer his opinons on on-field matters

It'll be Milner.

• Love
Reactions: dee

As someone who is married to a professor, maybe they call him that because he never fucking has to go into work.

People, we aren't writing down a theoretical supergroup in your lined notebook at 12 years old. We are replacing the most elite management team we've had in generations.

As someone who is married to a professor, maybe they call him that because he never fucking has to go into work.

People, we aren't writing down a theoretical supergroup in your lined notebook at 12 years old. We are replacing the most elite management team we've had in generations.
Not really - when I look back at this period, it is marred by bad luck/bad decisions as much as it is with success. We have lost 4 finals under Klopp - where 2 are actual CL finals. To be regarded as Elite Management for purely footballing reasons - you need to do better.

Not really - when I look back at this period, it is marred by bad luck/bad decisions as much as it is with success. We have lost 4 finals under Klopp - where 2 are actual CL finals. To be regarded as Elite Management for purely footballing reasons - you need to do better.

Who were the more elite managerial team at LFC I missed in my lifetime?

This team would have won at least 2 more leagues at any other time in history, or today if the league wasn't 10 years too late doing anything about blatant cheating.

Last edited:

This team would have won at least 2 more leagues at any other time in history, or today if the league wasn't 10 years too late doing anything about blatant cheating.
We were not up against City in the 2 CL finals we lost, we were not up against City in the Europa Cup, and we were 5 to 7 points ahead the first time we lost the league to City by one point. We don't lose much, but we had draws that should have been wins.

I think another reason that Xabi is a perfect fit is that he can coach the players he has. He went to Leverkeusen and turned the existing losers into winners instantly. He did not need 2-3 transfer windows to make his mark. He did not need the resources available to Pep at Barca or Zindane at Madrid. He can really coach, not just build a team.

He has since brought in a few players to make them even better. But, who would have thought Xhaka is the one who will make us better. Xabi knew exactly what he was looking for and got it without spending Bayern-like money. That is exactly what is necessary for us to compete with City, United, Newcastle, Chelsea. Someone who can get the most out of the players we have and work within a sustainable budget to precisely fill gaps or opportunities to be better.

The exact formation that he chooses to play…which players benefit more or less from his appointment….I could care less. I am pretty confident that he will be successful and probably right away. If not, I would be happy to give him time for the young squad to develop like Arsenal with Arteta.
No idea where you're from but it's 'I couldn't care less' ... not the American "I could care less' which makes no fucking sense at all because it's the exact opposite of what we are trying to convey !

Sorry, that's another bugbear of mine (I have a drawer full of them - more and more as I get older) ! :ROFLMAO:

That's major league bollocks. It always gets me when people and the media just focus on the actual winning of the trophy and not how the team got there, how they performed and how much of an element of luck was involved.

For me being in a CL final is worth almost as much as winning it, even if it doesn't show in the 'honours list'. Ditto losing the PL by 1 point over 38 games. How much luck was involved there? Both are amazing achievements.

Hodgson got a much harder time than he should have. Maybe a draw against Everton WAS utopia? Perhaps that was his "West brom 1-1 celebrate with the fans" klopp moment

A true sliding doors moment. We could have won 5 on the spin with Roy. Konchesky bombing down the flank. Joe Cole jinking his way to another hattrick. Another imperious CL final performance from Poulson

We were not up against City in the 2 CL finals we lost, we were not up against City in the Europa Cup, and we were 5 to 7 points ahead the first time we lost the league to City by one point. We don't lose much, but we had draws that should have been wins.
No we were up against Man City of the Spanish league.

The main coaches are leaving, so where is the continuity? getting a player moved to the coaching staff albeit Milner or Thiago keeps some of that continuity..

:oops::ROFLMAO:

Ever since last week's surprise announcement that Jürgen Klopp would be stepping down as Liverpool head coach at the end of the season, speculation as to his possible successor has sent football's rumor mill into overdrive.

And nowhere more so than in football-mad Thailand, where police have warned fans not to fall for online scammers impersonating Bayer Leverkusen coach Xabi Alonso.

Thailand's Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) has told supporters to watch out for a viral message which purports to show Alonso confirming via his Instagram account that he will be taking over from Klopp as Liverpool coach but asking for donations of 300 baht ($8.50; €7.85) to help pay for a plane ticket to the English city.

"I am Xabi Alonso, I will be in charge of Liverpool next season, but I am short of money for my flights to Liverpool," reads the message, written in Thai.

1706635896407.png

Thai police: 'Calm down'
Alonso, a former Liverpool player, has indeed been tipped to replace Klopp at Anfield, but he has brushed off all questions about his future and insisted he is focused on his current role at Bayer Leverkusen — who are currently two points clear of Bayern Munich at the top of the German Bundesliga.

"During this time, Liverpool fans must be reeling from the sudden announcement of Klopp's resignation," wrote the CIB on Facebook, urging Liverpool fans in Thailand to "calm down" and warning: "Xabi is not yet the manager, but there is already a scammer."

The police said the message — doctored to look like it came from Alonso's official Instagram account — was "a scammer pretending to be Xabi." They said that victims had been asked to transfer money via "suspicious links" which can enable fraudsters to access banking apps, intercept data or withdraw money from accounts.

"The CIB would like to warn the people that if anyone chats or sends suspicious messages, requesting money or attaching a link, do not transfer money and absolutely do not click on the link. Hurry, block and cut off the chat immediately," the authorities warned.

Liverpool and the Premier League are huge in Thailand
The English Premier League is immensely popular in Thailand — and not just since Thai-owned Leicester City sensationally won the league in 2016. In 2018, Leicester's Thai billionaire owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha died in a helicopter crash.

Liverpool are one of the most well-supported teams in Thailand, with red shirts and merchandise a common sight across the country. In 2022, Liverpool played an exhibition game in Bangkok in front of over 50,000 fans — losing 4-0 to the equally popular Manchester United.

As for Xabi Alonso, his contract in Leverkusen runs until 2026. And while specific financial details have not been made public, it's probably safe to assume he can afford a budget air fare from Germany to Liverpool. Maybe even with extra hand luggage and priority boarding.

The main coaches are leaving, so where is the continuity? getting a player moved to the coaching staff albeit Milner or Thiago keeps some of that continuity..
It does not matter, once people get past their emotional break-down of Klopp leaving, they will realize it is a good thing. Let me break it down to you all:

1) Klopp was looking fucking tired last season, I was not too surprised by his decision. But he did the right thing and has built us a team of ballers and runners, so it's suitable for a German/Spanish manager to take over.

2) So what if the backroom staff are leaving ? - they usually do with a managerial change, its the normal thing to do.

3) The manager we get will bring his own team in, no complications, and if it's Alonso, it would not surprise me if we win the league and the quad next season. The guy is not an emotional manager, he was an intelligence player, and has clearly carried that into his short managerial career. I think he will do the things to a team that we have moaned at Klopp for not doing in the past. For instance, he ain't going to tolerate players who are just putting in effort and have zero technical ability - it just won't happen.

That's major league bollocks. It always gets me when people and the media just focus on the actual winning of the trophy and not how the team got there, how they performed and how much of an element of luck was involved.

For me being in a CL final is worth almost as much as winning it, even if it doesn't show in the 'honours list'. Ditto losing the PL by 1 point over 38 games. How much luck was involved there? Both are amazing achievements.
Never said it was a bad thing - and I too agree with you regarding the CL final comment, its a massive massive thing to get us to the 3 finals. But we lost them, and when history looks at the past they won't classify him as a legend, but for us he is a legend because he revived us from being an inconsistent team and like the man said 'doubters to believers'. The journey has been brilliant for us Liverpool fans, but only as Liverpool fans, the outside world will see it differently.

People won't ever look at the cheating FFP City team, they will only see the results in the books. They won't look at runners up in the CL, or the 2nd place team in the League only one point behind. For this period to be relevant in the history books of the PL - Klopp/this Team - needs to win the PL this season, he just has to, and also hopefully another Cup. I am hoping that we really do this minor quad then at least we can say that in 9 seasons he won us 8 trophies.

Am I the only person who isn't sure that Xabi really is the man for a club of THIS size at THIS exact point in our history?

I love him as much as any of you lot and yes, he's done great things at Leverkusen, and yes, he was a silky, sexy footballer, and yes, he's the most handsome man ever, etc... But is a year or two of doing well at a club like Leverkusen really enough to make him the front runner for one of the biggest names in world football at a truly crucial point in the development of this new-look team?

If he'd played for Arsenal rather than us, would everybody still want him? I'm not saying that he definitely isn't the man, I'm just saying that I'm surprised that it seems to be blindly taken as law that he is.

Potter was the hottest name out there a few seasons back - How'd that end up? And remember also, a couple of years ago, Stevie G was 100% the second coming...

I hope he comes here and wins 10 quads. I'm just not as certain as most of you that he's the next man up.

Am I the only person who isn't sure that Xabi really is the man for a club of THIS size at THIS exact point in our history?

I love him as much as any of you lot and yes, he's done great things at Leverkusen, and yes, he was a silky, sexy footballer, and yes, he's the most handsome man ever, etc... But is a year or two of doing well at a club like Leverkusen really enough to make him the front runner for one of the biggest names in world football at a truly crucial point in the development of this new-look team?

If he'd played for Arsenal rather than us, would everybody still want him? I'm not saying that he definitely isn't the man, I'm just saying that I'm surprised that it seems to be blindly taken as law that he is.

Potter was the hottest name out there a few seasons back - How'd that end up? And remember also, a couple of years ago, Stevie G was 100% the second coming...

I hope he comes here and wins 10 quads. I'm just not as certain as most of you that he's the next man up.
I share the same concerns but who's your pick then?

I don't think anyone is sure it should be him, just that he seems of the best options. He seems to tick some of the boxes, and definitely is more in the conversation because he played for us. I'm not really sure who the better options are?

I share the same concerns but who's your pick then?

That’s the problem - as things stand there isn’t one that doesn’t come with some questions marks.

I’d almost be tempted to say is if we want experience and the most likely route for success to be maintained without us slipping back a bit… then it’s probably Ancelotti.

That’s the problem - as things stand there isn’t one that doesn’t come with some questions marks.

I’d almost be tempted to say is if we want experience and the most likely route for success to be maintained without us slipping back a bit… then it’s probably Ancelotti.
Yeah I can't really think of anyone else.

Oh, I don't know, I'm just hoping that we aren't blindly putting all of our eggs in one basket, based on the feel good factor of bringing Xabi back...

I've liked what De Zerbi has done with Brighton since he took over, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't turn into the next Graham Potter.

Problem is - and I know that I'm not educating anybody with this - that no matter who we choose next, it's an enormous step down from Jurgen, and a leap into the unknown with a new leader, after almost a decade of the stability and certainty that he's brought us.

This feels like when The King stepped away in '91, and I'm just praying that Xabi isn't this generation's Souness.

No idea where you're from but it's 'I couldn't care less' ... not the American "I could care less' which makes no fucking sense at all because it's the exact opposite of what we are trying to convey !

Sorry, that's another bugbear of mine (I have a drawer full of them - more and more as I get older) ! :ROFLMAO:
Haha. Nailed it!

I'd fucking love Carlo. 2 or 3 years of him while xabi gets his wings, or a other standout candidate emerges

Never happening though

I'd fucking love Carlo. 2 or 3 years of him while xabi gets his wings, or a other standout candidate emerges

Never happening though
he failed the interview process last time. He talked about wanting to spend millions on new players. Klopp talked about wanting to work with the players before making any decisions on recruitment

he failed the interview process last time. He talked about wanting to spend millions on new players. Klopp talked about wanting to work with the players before making any decisions on recruitment

To be fair though - we needed to spend millions on players then, we don’t now.

Never happening though

That probs feels like the “safest” option - I really do think we need to appoint someone that’s gone through their formative years and fully developed their “style”, won things, has a track record of building a back room teams, bringing through youth players and also demonstrated an ability problem solve and fix things when they go wrong.

The only thing that trumps that, imho, is trailblazing genius that shapes the future direction of tactics, etc.

Did we? we got to 2 finals in Klopps first season

Which we lost and finished 8th the league.

He went out and spent the guts of £60m on Gini & Mane, reasonably large amount for then.

Given he then went on to break world record transfer records by sign Alisson & Virgil before winning anything… I’d say, we absolutely did need to spend money on players to improve us.

As much as I hate to say it, Unai Emery would be the most practical appointment. Done a bang up job everywhere but Arsenal. Had success in Europe. The idea of going from a personality like Klopp to Unai however, feels massively deflating. So I’m in Xabi camp.

Back
Top Bottom