• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Can you do the same with the latest Palace starting lineup and make an argument that we should get Hodgson instead?

I suspect it will not look very different from this

GK: Ali

LB: Gomez / Robbo
CB: Van Dijk
CB: Konate
RB: Trent

CM: Curtis
CM: Macca
CM: Szobo

RW: Salah / Kubo
LW: Jota
CF: Nunez

There you go.
That's a 4-3-3

How would Alonso's line up look using our players, without shoehorning players into unfamiliar positions?

GK: Ali

LCB: Gomez?
CB: Van Dijk
RCB: Konate

RWB: Bradley
LWB: Robbo? (Is he really a LWB?)

CM: Trent
CM: Macca

AM: Szobo
AM: Elliott (Is Jones an AM or is Macca an AM and Jones is moved to the CM position)

CF: Nunez (What happens to Gakpo, Jota, Diaz?)

Yeah...I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I'd rather get a manager who can work with what we have.

Yes AM forward would be a question mark. However LWB could be Diaz or Nunez. Both have the work ethic.

Per one of Binnys (sourced) graphics. Typically one of the wing backs is more of a winger and the other more of a full back.

But again. It's plausible that Xabi evolves again, and rather than 4-3-3 goes to more a flat 3-4-3 and not play wing back at all.

I don't think we have the players required for a to play in a 3-4-3 formation the way Xabi plays.
I'm not sure where Trent will fit in that line up.
I'm starting to like De Zerbi more.

I sort of partly agree with you, in that I think we have players capable of playing the current Xabi way, but we also have some players that aren’t or were overstocked in certain areas.

CB’s are fine.

I’m not sure where it leaves Salah, Diaz & fit in as 10’s in a box midfield - so Salah’s prob be off and Diaz surplus.

Gravy & Curtis I’m not quite sure about either - they’re more like 8’s than 6’s or 10’s - but their young, so there’s a chance.

Endo fine as a 6, Mac A, Slobbers both fine as either 6 or 20.

Harvey could probably make a 10, but not sure that’s ideal and Gakpo probably can play as either a 10 or a 9, but he might be surplus.

Nunez & Jota fine as 9’s.

Trent could be a wing back or a 6 in a double pivot (which is kind of what he is at the minute) - not sure I fancy hims as a 10.

Robbo & Tsimikas would be fine as WB.

This is all dependent on Xabi not tweaking things around - and it wouldn’t require a lot of tweaking as that 2-2-2-2 with 2 players wide is not unlike what we do.

I found the long direct passing difference very interesting - that’s absolutely been critical to our play this year and particularly getting Nunez more involved and I reckon that why his assist numbers are so high.

Sounds like Cabinplays more of a slower passion type game to Arteta & Guardiola - so that’s of interest.

Yeah I think if Alonso comes he'll come in, look at the players we have and then decide the formation.

I don't think he is married to the 343
No he might not be. It's like when Rafa joined. He didn't change anything, continued playing in a 4-4-2 formation despite not doing it in Valencia.
The season after we won the CL we slowly started to change formation into the 4-3-3 one that Alonso also was part of.
I have a feeling that Alonso's 3-4-3 formation and tactics is his brainchild and if it is, we might have another Souness situation in our hands.

What stands out to me is:
1. His defenders have to know how to pass out
2. His wide players need to have pace
3. The midfield needs to have good passing range/accuracy.
4. Not reliant on a "pure dm/destroyer"
5. Defend from the front.

I wouldn't say it's very different from what we have.

Anyway Salah can play the 10, and I'm convinced Jota can too

No he might not be. It's like when Rafa joined. He didn't change anything, continued playing in a 4-4-2 formation despite not doing it in Valencia.
The season after we won the CL we slowly started to change formation into the 4-3-3 one that Alonso also was part of.
I have a feeling that Alonso's 3-4-3 formation and tactics is his brainchild and if it is, we might have another Souness situation in our hands.
Oh he's definitely welcome to change the formation to a 3-4-3 after winning the CL.

By then Robbo would have been sold to Palace, Salah in semi retirement with Inacio and Kubo replacing them. Conor looks like the perfect RWB for Alonso ball btw.

Because that rigid spreadsheet logic makes as much sense in real life as player for player swaps or signings who change their shirts at half time in a friendly
Rigid in what way? Players don't have set positions anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: jan
Oh he's definitely welcome to change the formation to a 3-4-3 after winning the CL.

By then Robbo would have been sold to Palace, Salah in semi retirement with Inacio and Kubo replacing them. Conor looks like the perfect RWB for Alonso ball btw.
OK, I'm with you if he wins the CL.

I sort of partly agree with you, in that I think we have players capable of playing the current Xabi way, but we also have some players that aren’t or were overstocked in certain areas.

CB’s are fine.

I’m not sure where it leaves Salah, Diaz & fit in as 10’s in a box midfield - so Salah’s prob be off and Diaz surplus.

Gravy & Curtis I’m not quite sure about either - they’re more like 8’s than 6’s or 10’s - but their young, so there’s a chance.

Endo fine as a 6, Mac A, Slobbers both fine as either 6 or 20.

Harvey could probably make a 10, but not sure that’s ideal and Gakpo probably can play as either a 10 or a 9, but he might be surplus.

Nunez & Jota fine as 9’s.

Trent could be a wing back or a 6 in a double pivot (which is kind of what he is at the minute) - not sure I fancy hims as a 10.

Robbo & Tsimikas would be fine as WB.

This is all dependent on Xabi not tweaking things around - and it wouldn’t require a lot of tweaking as that 2-2-2-2 with 2 players wide is not unlike what we do.

I found the long direct passing difference very interesting - that’s absolutely been critical to our play this year and particularly getting Nunez more involved and I reckon that why his assist numbers are so high.

Sounds like Cabinplays more of a slower passion type game to Arteta & Guardiola - so that’s of interest.
The long direct play difference isn't huge at all in absolute figures (2-3 per game?) and could easily be as a result of different league and players - never mind better opposition.

Seriously?
In Alonso's tactic when the line up switches to 4-2-4 the LWB becomes a LB.

And like I said.. why can't it be flipped so the RWB becomes a RB instead.. we have two very capable of doing just that.. 3 if you include Gomez

And like I said.. why can't it be flipped so the RWB becomes a RB instead.. we have two very capable of doing just that.. 3 if you include Gomez
Yeah, I thought about the that too, but still I can't find a place for Diaz or Gakpo in the line up. Bradley or Gomez would do well in a RWB role. Kostas and Robbo can play as LWB's too.

Yeah, I thought about the that too, but still I can't find a place for Diaz or Gakpo in the line up. Bradley or Gomez would do well in a RWB role. Kostas and Robbo can play as LWB's too.

Frimpong is more Diaz than Robbo. From everything I've read and limited compilations.. can't protest to watch Bundasliga too much.

Just saying.

I think the question is not about fitting these players in, - what Klopp has been doing this season is essentially asking for that 100% intensity from his players but only for a max of 55-60mins before he makes subs to give the 2nd batch a chance. It's almost like he is saying - we will:

- use X players as the starting bunch for this comp and give him Y minutes

This gives everyone a chance, and also saves them from the "intensity" injuries that we are famous for. The problem is that Xabi's tactics don't demand as much intensity - although he may change that for our league - which will be good because it will keep our super extensive squad happy with game-time. I am also pretty sure of one thing that Xabi will do ... there will be no place for Mo Salah next season in our squad, I just know he will sell him if the opportunity comes up. We play better overall football without him, I am sorry to say that but its the truth and you all know it.

We play better overall football without him, I am sorry to say that but its the truth and you all know it.
I don't know about that...although the use of the word "selfish" has decreased in the match threads since he left, according to google analytics.

I hope next season isn’t one of the ones we have to cycle off the intravenous red bull - for Xabi’s sake!!!

We have a lot of players who would fit straight into Xabi's philosophy - particularly the new signings Macca & Szobo. Jones would be excellent. Diaz would be great in a pass-and-move team, and Jota.

I think his style would be brilliant to see brought to the PL.

I think another reason that Xabi is a perfect fit is that he can coach the players he has. He went to Leverkeusen and turned the existing losers into winners instantly. He did not need 2-3 transfer windows to make his mark. He did not need the resources available to Pep at Barca or Zindane at Madrid. He can really coach, not just build a team.

He has since brought in a few players to make them even better. But, who would have thought Xhaka is the one who will make us better. Xabi knew exactly what he was looking for and got it without spending Bayern-like money. That is exactly what is necessary for us to compete with City, United, Newcastle, Chelsea. Someone who can get the most out of the players we have and work within a sustainable budget to precisely fill gaps or opportunities to be better.

The exact formation that he chooses to play…which players benefit more or less from his appointment….I could care less. I am pretty confident that he will be successful and probably right away. If not, I would be happy to give him time for the young squad to develop like Arsenal with Arteta.

Similar to Peter, other than some fond memories I do not hold any real affection for Xabi Alonso. It would not be any 'extra special' to see him on the touchline. We all know it means nothing if the results are shit. He may receive increased patience from the fanbase, but that should only come from progress seen on the pitch and not some through some fuzzy nostalgia-glasses. We loved Dalglish being back in the dugout. We loved him a little less after watching Andy Carroll lumber about from injury to injury. The buzz can evaporate in months and we have to be mindful of it.

Keni is right on the money with it depends on how successfully we can appoint a new SD and the wrap around support needed for Alonso to focus on coaching, especially in the early stages as he transitions to the PL and a bigger club.

If we do appoint Alonso then Arteta is a sensible benchmark to gage expectations. How Arsenal have been under his management represents a sensible ambition for a post Klopp Liverpool side, and even more the case post Salah and VVD, etc.' I'm far from opposed to Alonso. The data and his football all look very promising but the sheer weight behind his appointment is mildly surprising. It seems out of proportion with the level of risk attached.

Last edited:
This guy is oK, but to suggest Gravy as first pick for that more box-to-box role over Cujo makes me question how well he knows our team.

Yes I thought this too. I'd have Jones and even Endo ahead of Gravy.

That video is interesting and also makes me think that Trent in that midfield might work, although the fact that one of the full backs 'inverts' could actually be spot on. Its a shame Bradley isn't a left back as he would be brilliant as an unleashed attacking full back in that system.

Makes you realised we are somewhat blessed in attack as some people would have to miss out. For me I'd probably have to have Jota as the CF with Salah & Gakpo/Szobo the AMs behind.

In general though my view is that in every position we have multiple players who could excel, which is a nice problem to have.

The creator also overlooked Gomez who is one of the quickest players in the PL still, and would be ideal for the LCB slot in a back three.

Back
Top Bottom