• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wimbledon 2013

It'll be interesting to see what Del Potro can do against Djokovic.

If Del Potro's knee holds up he might give Djokovic a fright but he won't blow Novak off the court the way he did to Ferrer.

The issue was that Verdasco was a big serving leftie with some talent and Murray suffered a crisis of confidence in the late part of the ifrst set and the second set. Fair play to him for coming back.

But Djokovic would batter him on current form me thinks. Plus the crowd seem to be expecting him to deliver. How about they start getting behind him before he gets 2 down, cos if that happens against Novak there will be no 4th set.

What's a 'wab'? I suspect it's not good. No worries though. I honestly dislike the guy but I guess I'd be pleased for him to win the biggy.

Well if you're going to dislike him, don't do it for a load of jingoistic made-up daily mail style shite.

Well if you're going to dislike him, don't do it for a load of jingoistic made-up daily mail style shite.
Fuck me I've been accused of a few things but not writing in a 'jingoistic made up daily mail style' - My standards must be slipping Doc. I'll strive to do better!

Fuck me I've been accused of a few things but not writing in a 'jingoistic made up daily mail style' - My standards must be slipping Doc. I'll strive to do better!

I didn't say you wrote in a daily mail style- but you're thinking that way (unusually for you, I must say). If you believe he actually hates England, as your post implied, then on this subject, you're a wab.

It seems that 'wab' is a Northern Ireland term for a 'cock' which I rather don't like being called. I suppose I was a little caustic in my view of Murray so I can see how you could draw that opinion. I still dislike him though.

Speaking to Jonathan Overend on BBC Radio 5 Live the British No 1 said: "I'm surprised that the whole thing stuck [his reported dislike of England].
"I got asked about it a couple of days ago in interviews and they asked 'Why did you say that you bought a Paraguay shirt when England were playing against them?'.
"I never said that but it is in the papers and people believe what's in the papers all the time."
Murray stressed: "I never once had a Paraguay shirt and I never once said anything about that. I am pretty sure there won't have been quotes of me saying it in the paper.
"The journalist said to me 'So Andy are you going to be supporting Scotland in the World Cup?', knowing that Scotland hadn't qualified and he started laughing.
"So he asked me who I would be supporting in the World Cup, and I said 'Anyone but England ha-ha' and all of a sudden it's the biggest story ever."
However, the 22-year-old from Dunblane has put the episode behind him.

Speaking to Jonathan Overend on BBC Radio 5 Live the British No 1 said: "I'm surprised that the whole thing stuck [his reported dislike of England].
"I got asked about it a couple of days ago in interviews and they asked 'Why did you say that you bought a Paraguay shirt when England were playing against them?'.
"I never said that but it is in the papers and people believe what's in the papers all the time."
Murray stressed: "I never once had a Paraguay shirt and I never once said anything about that. I am pretty sure there won't have been quotes of me saying it in the paper.
"The journalist said to me 'So Andy are you going to be supporting Scotland in the World Cup?', knowing that Scotland hadn't qualified and he started laughing.
"So he asked me who I would be supporting in the World Cup, and I said 'Anyone but England ha-ha' and all of a sudden it's the biggest story ever."
However, the 22-year-old from Dunblane has put the episode behind him.
This is not really the place to be drawn into this type of argument - However I will say that I find the whole ABE thing pretty poor. I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt if in fact his quotes were taken out of context. My gut feeling though is that he knows full well what he said and he meant it. Given the amount of support he has received from the English fans it was at best an ill judged comment and he has spent a long time backtracking. I read quite a few bits and bobs about the whole ABE thing as I have a genuine interest in that type of sociological trend. I lived away from the UK for nearly 10 years and was surprised by how other countries perceived the English. Irish, Scottish and Aussies mainly - Murray called it 'banter' in the interview you highlighted. I think it's a worrying sentiment to adopt. What do you make of this article written in 2010?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8733373.stm

Phew! That was a hard-fought semi-final! Lisicki won the first set against Radwanska, but then inexplicably started playing some filth in the second set and lost it. I thought my bet was dead. But Lisicki fought back in a long, tough final set and won it 9-7.

Reactions: Leo
This is not really the place to be drawn into this type of argument - However I will say that I find the whole ABE thing pretty poor. I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt if in fact his quotes were taken out of context. My gut feeling though is that he knows full well what he said and he meant it. Given the amount of support he has received from the English fans it was at best an ill judged comment and he has spent a long time backtracking. I read quite a few bits and bobs about the whole ABE thing as I have a genuine interest in that type of sociological trend. I lived away from the UK for nearly 10 years and was surprised by how other countries perceived the English. Irish, Scottish and Aussies mainly - Murray called it 'banter' in the interview you highlighted. I think it's a worrying sentiment to adopt. What do you make of this article written in 2010?

If you ask me, invading and taking over your closest neighbours is a worrying sentiment to adopt ;)

If you ask me, invading and taking over your closest neighbours is a worrying sentiment to adopt ;)

That's the reverse of actual history. When King James VI of Scotland was crowned James I of England, Scotland effectively took over England.

A guy from the press took the piss, and he took the piss back. "He knew what he said". Yes, he engaged in banter. I agree that there is an unpleasant anti-English sentiment in some quarters, but I'd also say that this is a guy surrounded by English friends with a tasty English girl, clearly has no particular axe to grind, and cracked a joke in what he thought was a friendly spirit. Next thing he's fucking villified by a bunch of jingoistic hacks in the English press. And subsequently a load of English wabs use it as a reason to hate him.

And you wonder why we say "ANYONE BUT FUCKING ENGLAND"? No fucking wonder.

C'mon Sabine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
images

In my opinion, it's only in recent years that the English have begun to realise how much the Scots hate us. Some English people have started to hate the Scots back. It's not surprising is it? :)

In my opinion, it's only in recent years that the English have begun to realise how much the Scots hate us. Some English people have started to hate the Scots back. It's not surprising is it? :)
Well I don't hate the Scottish. I've never disliked anyone because of where they come from. But I can understand why people would take exception to the ABE thing (me being one of them) @doctor_mac - You say ' I agree that there is an unpleasant anti-English sentiment in some quarters' - I honestly have to say in my experience it's more than 'some quarters' - What's more worrying is the casual way it gets brushed aside.

And you wonder why we say "ANYONE BUT FUCKING ENGLAND"? No fucking wonder.

Good grief! You clearly have no idea what it's like to come from a victimised country!

;)

That's the reverse of actual history. When King James VI of Scotland was crowned James I of England, Scotland effectively took over England.
Indeed! Without England's help Scotland could have been ruined 300 years ago. Read it and weep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Something that our Scottish cousins don't seem to remember. Maybe they have watched Braveheart and take it as fact.

Throughout history, any political arrangement between England and Scotland has always involved England getting shafted. That's what worries me most about Alex Salmond's devious plans.

What about Wales and Ireland? When do we get our turn to take over England?

Epic game. Del Potro struggling with an injured knee still manages to win the 4th set,.

Back
Top Bottom