• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This fucking midfield... 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Well, well, well... It's been only a week since I wrote that our midfield's attacking contribution has been "dire" and perhaps this is by design, and right on cue they have delivered their 2 most productive attacking performances of the season. Keita's goal, and Hendo goal and assist vs Saints and another goal by Naby and a very meaningful "hockey assist" by Hendo vs Porto nudged the midfielders' attacking stats into a more respectable territory, but more importantly, finally it's starting to feel that our midfield can be a source of goals and creativity – and the opponents so far are finding themselves at a loss about what to do about it.

After years of methodically removing any hint of risk from his game, Hendo is finally asked to show what he can do in an attacking role – and turns out it's a lot! His passing is quick and crisp, he has excellent vision for teammates (best illustrated by that floated pass from the right side of the penalty area to Firmino that he blasted over – that was not an obvious pass at all and he executed it quickly and flawlessly), he is genuinely fast and physical and best of all kind of unpredictable for the opponents (at least so far). I loved the bits of interplay with Salah making himself a decoy and dragging his marker out so Hendo could bomb into the space beyond him – I don't think I've seen a midfielder run into these spaces with such regularity since Emre Can left. Sometimes Hendo's advanced positioning left too many gaps on the right flank, leaving Fabinho, Trent and Lovren exposed – but this was a fresh idea and Porto genuinely didn't know how to deal with this. Look at them moments before Hendo's pass for the 2nd goal – they are not even trying to challenge the player with the ball and the 2 seemingly tight lines are about to be dissected by 2 simple passes:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-09-at-8-45-13-PM.png

In other good news, Naby Keita's stats almost for the first time show the kind of "2-in-1" player we've all been waiting for:

According to Squawka Football, those 8 tackles are the most by any player in a CL playoff game this season and his 6 tackles in the first half was more than the rest of the team combined. The great thing is that he still has so much to improve – but finally, you're starting to see the outlines of a player we thought we had signed.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-09-at-11-25-57-PM.png

This episode shows the value of a midfielder who is able and willing to run with the ball. Keita has dribbled past a Porto forward and is about to find Hendo in that space he was running into time and time again. Naby is still in his own half (just about) and has 8 Porto players in front of him (not counting the GK), yet this is already a dangerous attack that put the defending team in kind of a disarray – because a player dribbling past the first line of press and carrying on running with the ball starts a chain reaction of Porto midfielders scrambling to block his path and so leaving their man (in this case Hendo) in a huge amount of space, which Keita was able to find with a superbly timed pass. If one episode could encapsulate what Keita's role in this team should be in my opinion, it's exactly this – to glide through the press and create numerical advantage, to be the instigator of these chain reactions. No other LFC midfielder can do this as well as Naby – whereas the likes of Wijnaldum, Milner and Ox could be used in the same role that Hendo performed in this episode.

So is this the way forward for our midfield? And which 3 would you start against Chelsea?

Last edited:
I think Keita will only work in a team with that sort of balance. He was excellent but he needs a specific set up to do his thing, a bit like Firmino in that regard.

Heh, someone commented on Keita’s lack of defensive contribution, and then he has 8 tackles and 10 ball recoveries.

Its great to finally see the player he can be, there is so much potential there.
Like Fabinho, he has looked lost before he found his place in this team and understanding Klopps tactics.
Hopefully a strong finish to the season will see him start next season with a bang.

Well, well, well... It's been only a week since I wrote that our midfield's attacking contribution has been "dire" and perhaps this is by design, and right one cue they have delivered their 2 most productive attacking performances of the season. Keita's goal, and Hendo goal and assist vs Saints and another goal by Naby and a very meaningful "hockey assist" by Hendo vs Porto nudged the midfielders' attacking stats into a more respectable territory, but more importantly, finally it's starting to feel that our midfield can be a source of goals and creativity – and the opponents so far are finding themselves at a loss about what to do about it.

After years of methodically removing any hint of risk from his game, Hendo is finally asked to show what he can do in an attacking role – and turns out it's a lot! His passing is quick and crisp, he has excellent vision for teammates (best illustrated by that floated pass from the right side of the penalty area to Firmino that he blasted over – that was not an obvious pass at all and he executed it quickly and flawlessly), he is genuinely fast and physical and best of all kind of unpredictable for the opponents (at least so far). I loved the bits of interplay with Salah making himself a decoy and dragging his marker out so Hendo could bomb into the space beyond him – I don't think I've seen a midfielder run into these spaces with such regularity since Emre Can left. Sometimes Hendo's advanced positioning left too many gaps on the right flank, leaving Fabinho, Trent and Lovren exposed – but this was a fresh idea and Porto genuinely didn't know how to deal with this. Look at them moments before Hendo's pass for the 2nd goal – they are not even trying to challenge the player with the ball and the 2 seemingly tight lines are about to be dissected by 2 simple passes:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-09-at-8-45-13-PM.png

In other good news, Naby Keita's stats almost for the first time show the kind of "2-in-1" player we've all been waiting for:

According to Squawka Football, those 8 tackles are the most by any player in a CL playoff game this season and his 6 tackles in the first half was more than the rest of the team combined. The great thing is that he still has so much to improve – but finally, you're starting to see the outlines of a player we thought we had signed.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-09-at-11-25-57-PM.png

This episode shows the value of a midfielder who is able and willing to run with the ball. Keita has dribbled past a Porto forward and is about to find Hendo in that space he was running into time and time again. Naby is still in his own half (just about) and has 8 Porto players in front of him (not counting the GK), yet this is already a dangerous attack that put the defending team in kind of a disarray – because a player dribbling past the first line of press and carrying on running with the ball starts a chain reaction of Porto midfielders scrambling to block his path and so leaving their man (in this case Hendo) in a huge amount of space, which Keita was able to find with a superbly timed pass. If one episode could encapsulate what Keita's role in this team should be in my opinion, it's exactly this – to glide through the press and create numerical advantage, to be the instigator of these chain reactions. No other LFC midfielder can do this as well as Naby – whereas the likes of Wijnaldum, Milner and Ox could be used in the same role that Hendo performed in this episode.

So is this the way forward for our midfield? And which 3 would you start against Chelsea?
We're going back to 1.0 v Chelsea. Wijnaldum should play at home and is rested, we need Milner to run all over Jorginho, and it will be Hendo or Fabinho to stop Hazard. I'd save Fabinho for a tricky away game v Porto

Heh, someone commented on Keita’s lack of defensive contribution, and then he has 8 tackles and 10 ball recoveries.

Its great to finally see the player he can be, there is so much potential there.
Like Fabinho, he has looked lost before he found his place in this team and understanding Klopps tactics.
Hopefully a strong finish to the season will see him start next season with a bang.

It's more his positioning. He was left too high up the pitch and with Henderson also freed up, Fabinho was left isolated too often, which was clear especially in the first half where Fabinho struggled a bit, and we allowed four clear chances created by players running through the empty midfield.

Far too open in that first half, and it won't be the same midfield at Porto, because they should have scored at least one, maybe two goals

It's more his positioning. He was left too high up the pitch and with Henderson also freed up, Fabinho was left isolated too often, which was clear especially in the first half where Fabinho struggled a bit, and we allowed four clear chances created by players running through the empty midfield.

Far too open in that first half, and it won't be the same midfield at Porto, because they should have scored at least one, maybe two goals
Clearly Keita & Hendo need to understand, maybe similar to TAA & Robbo or VvD and Matip, when they can push forward as a unit and when one of them needs to linger just to be that extra body to shepard the opposition into Fabinho's waiting jaws. Hopefully that will come in time. It will be interesting when Ox is back, maybe Fabs, Keita and Ox would be an exciting midfield.

This. Keita was really good yesterday, he has two flaws he needs to iron out of his game though, those stupid lazy balls he plays sometimes, and his positioning. There was a marked improvement in his positioning yesterday I thought, especially in an attacking sense, however I still get the impression he looks a little like a lost lamb defensively, I'm sure this will come with time, but it's an issue he needs to address.

This. Keita was really good yesterday, he has two flaws he needs to iron out of his game though, those stupid lazy balls he plays sometimes, and his positioning. There was a marked improvement in his positioning yesterday I thought, especially in an attacking sense, however I still get the impression he looks a little like a lost lamb defensively, I'm sure this will come with time, but it's an issue he needs to address.

Yeah, and sometimes it's just awareness and being willing to make those defensive runs. Christ, we even saw Mo doing that yesterday, with a fantastic 60 yard dash to help Milner out and stop a great break from Porto.

Keita still loses too many balls in the middle for me. When your wingbacks and midfielders bomb forward the last thing you want is your midfielder being brushed off the ball or make a sloppy pass, which Keita is still culpable of. A better side would have punished us yesterday.

I will still bring back Gini. But it is hard to drop someone who scored 2 in a row after a big fat zero for the rest.

Decision to make for Kloppo.

Yeah, it's harsh, but I don't think we can start Keita against Chelsea. I still think he struggles positionally in both an attacking and defensive sense. I think we will see a midfield of Fabinho, Hendo and Gini against Chelsea.

I wanted to start Keita, but the thought of Hazard running through that space is quite terrifying.

Agreed, I think that will be the midfield as well. With Henderson continuing in the same role he had yesterday.

I prefer Henderson in this role, and actually he has played some beautiful attacking passes of late.... which is great because some of the time I get frustrated with Mane / Salahs accuracy with the passing during the game....

It would be great to have that player (the AM) who can thread the eye of the needle pass to those guys upfront. Too often we try to play straight through defences in a tight space up against a back 4 and it doesnt seem to come off a lot.

Our best work is on the break or when we play from out wide and transition the ball back into the box or pull backs etc I find. But having that extra ability to pick a killer pass will definitely add another dimension to our attacking play.

Not saying Hendo is our answer for this, but its been interesting to see how he has managed it in the last couple of matches.

Could be interesting to see how the Ox might fit into this role?

I wouldn't be against seeing Naby in the next game although would prefer Gini for his cover down the flanks. I expect Loftus Cheek to start in the middle meaning him & Hazard might try and swamp Hendo & Fabinho. They either need another body in there (Gini) or we fight back and have Naby taking on Jorginho who isn't a tackler himself (although Kante obviously likely to be all over them).

Exciting match up. Think it'll be another game we can win down the flanks if we force Hudson-Odoi & Hazard to support their full backs by taking the game to them.

After years of methodically removing any hint of risk from his game, Hendo is finally asked to show what he can do in an attacking role – and turns out it's a lot! His passing is quick and crisp, he has excellent vision for teammates (best illustrated by that floated pass from the right side of the penalty area to Firmino that he blasted over – that was not an obvious pass at all and he executed it quickly and flawlessly)

Haha as if he saw that pass, he didn't see shit it was more of a leap of faith in the sense that Steven Gerrard is the one that actually sees that pass and used to put those balls in, all Henderson was doing is remembering his superior predecessor doing it, and plagiarising it to good effect.

BS - he did it to great effect in the 13/14 season all season long.

Yes, and he copied that off Gerrard. He also did it to more frustrating effect last season, plenty of match threads/modo posts were berating him for aimlessly lofting the ball out for a goal kick. Either he's improved his timing, or the strikers have improved theirs, so it actually works like it's supposed to now.

Yes, and he copied that off Gerrard. He also did it to more frustrating effect last season, plenty of match threads/modo posts were berating him for aimlessly lofting the ball out for a goal kick. Either he's improved his timing, or the strikers have improved theirs, so it actually works like it's supposed to now.
The difference is when he hits them from deep they inevitably go long and drift out. When he's playing where he did vs Porto, mainly out on the right, he can hit ace cross-field balls (plus the occasional one that drifts long and out for a GK, but that's OK if, as often happens, he finds one or two like the one that found Mane yesterday).

What we're seeing from Jordan is a positive reaction to competition for places. He knows the level he needs to find and in the last two appearances he's been there - would love him to keep it up for the next few.

I get why folks are thinking Gini could be preferable to Keita against Chelsea, but we can't just be thinking reactively about trying to nullify the threat of Hazard, Jorginho, etc – we are playing at home and need to make Chelsea worry about nullifying our threats first, which is something they are frankly not good at under Sarri. And goals change games – both Keita's goals were crucial and our team started playing noticeably better after they went in.

Purely based on form, it's Fabinho who should be worried about dropping out.

The difference is when he hits them from deep they inevitably go long and drift out. When he's playing where he did vs Porto, mainly out on the right, he can hit ace cross-field balls (plus the occasional one that drifts long and out for a GK, but that's OK if, as often happens, he finds one or two like the one that found Mane yesterday).

True. I'm just saying those passes aren't evidence of his 'vision', because then last season he would have 'seen' the angle wasn't there and not booted the ball out of play. So what he is doing is emulating something he learned off Gerrard without necessarily foreseeing the play in his own mind. There is nothing wrong with that, it is a smart choice, the point is just to infer he has suddenly somehow developed vision would be a dumb conclusion.

I get why folks are thinking Gini could be preferable to Keita against Chelsea, but we can't just be thinking reactively about trying to nullify the threat of Hazard, Jorginho, etc – we are playing at home and need to make Chelsea worry about nullifying our threats first, which is something they are frankly not good at under Sarri. And goals change games – both Keita's goals were crucial and our team started playing noticeably better after they went in.

Purely based on form, it's Fabinho who should be worried about dropping out.
That puts Hendo at the 6 v Hazard when I'd rather he was running after Jorginho like a mad bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom