• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah is not the player you remember anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not disagreeing with most of that but for me it’s all about the journey.
I will remember every bit of the Barca game rather than most of the final etc. I will also remember everyone of these players who achieved the lot in 20yrs too. I remember hearing the Salah chant for the first time and kind of genuinely being proud of our fans to come with something like that as opposed to Islamphobia being exhibited at the time by public officials.
Or Hendo and his dad at end of the final etc.
Small things but I will defo remember it more than most things associated with the game…
I don’t really see them as just a rag bag of players thrown together to win but each added over a period of time who have all represented the club on and off the field in a way that’s worth remembering. I can’t quiet say that about some of the players we had before 2017.

I think that's a special perspective that many who follow our club (including me) have.

If we want to preserve our special memories more than lord titles and victories over supporters of other clubs, there's nothing wrong with continuing as we have.

There is a cost to integrity. We have to decide if it's one we are willing to pay.

I think that's a special perspective that many who follow our club (including me) have.

If we want to preserve our special memories more than lord titles and victories over supporters of other clubs, there's nothing wrong with continuing as we have.

There is a cost to integrity. We have to decide if it's one we are willing to pay.

What @rubans - has mentioned is absolutely true, but these journeys are sadly not repeated by this club like they should be done with a manager like Klopp. Instead the journey has too often been that we have fallen short because of a lack of investment in the team and lessons not being learnt. When you have a manager like Klopp - just that little bit of extra investment per transfer window could go a long way. As Liverpool fans - most of us would agree that we are not asking for the very best players to be bought with these modern day huge transfer fees, this is a club that has traditionally made stars out of the players when the right manager is running it. The truth is they (the owners) have actually taken the piss too many times now - just rolling the dice in the hope that Klopp can do it again and again using the same players. None of us want to be on a Journey where we turn on those players in that happy journey - none of us want to see Henderson not being able to do anything effectively anymore, or watch Trent looking like a Zombie defending, or watch VVD just standing and not putting his foot in.

What @rubans - has mentioned is absolutely true, but these journeys are sadly not repeated by this club like they should be done with a manager like Klopp. Instead the journey has too often been that we have fallen short because of a lack of investment in the team and lessons not being learnt. When you have a manager like Klopp - just that little bit of extra investment per transfer window could go a long way. As Liverpool fans - most of us would agree that we are not asking for the very best players to be bought with these modern day huge transfer fees, this is a club that has traditionally made stars out of the players when the right manager is running it. The truth is they (the owners) have actually taken the piss too many times now - just rolling the dice in the hope that Klopp can do it again and again using the same players. None of us want to be on a Journey where we turn on those players in that happy journey - none of us want to see Henderson not being able to do anything effectively anymore, or watch Trent looking like a Zombie defending, or watch VVD just standing and not putting his foot in.

That's how I feel too. This is a special team with a special manager. Invest now.

But that's clearly not happening which is why I've become selectively cynical.

Because what we know should happen isn't going to happen. So we're left with choices.

Honest question.

If FSG put more money into the club and increased our chances of winning more and possibly being the dominant English team, what do you think City’s owners would do?

Do you think they’d approach in a passive manner or chuck whatever additional resources and bend whatever rules they felt like to ensure they preserve their competitive advantage over everyone?

Honest question.

If FSG put more money into the club and increased our chances of winning more and possibly being the dominant English team, what do you think City’s owners would do?

Do you think they’d approach in a passive manner or chuck whatever additional resources and bend whatever rules they felt like to ensure they preserve their competitive advantage over everyone?

I appreciate the point, and I do agree with it in a sense. But should that mean we actively don't compete? Should we just cancel existing contracts and just play the kids to save money? There's no point after all if another team can just pay more than us.

Either we try to compete or we atrophy

I appreciate the point, and I do agree with it in a sense. But should that mean we actively don't compete? Should we just cancel existing contracts and just play the kids to save money? There's no point after all if another team can just pay more than us.

There’s another option. We play smart. If that means we sell players once they pass their peak, so be it. The mistake we made this season just gone is we held onto players for too long; most of the players who left for free this summer should have gone last one and replaced by at least one other [midfield].

I do think we have realised that, publicly at least, which is why I’m not fretting about lack of more signings.

I agree - and that wasn’t really my point.

It’s more around how do we compete to be successful - we need to be smarter than we are, particularly if, as seems likely, we’re not going to chuck money at the problem.

Partly I feel like it’s a question of accepting we’re not going to and likely will never dominate in the way City are.

That’s not to say let’s throw the towel in or give up.

City are primed to spend a bucketload whenever they feel like it - or need to if one of their competitors gets close enough to them.

There’s another option. We play smart. If that means we sell players once they pass their peak, so be it. The mistake we made this season just gone is we held onto players for too long; most of the players who left for free this summer should have gone last one and replaced by at least one other [midfield].

I do think we have realised that, publicly at least, which is why I’m not fretting about lack of more signings.

Yep - we need to be smarter and take more risks signing unheralded players on the cheap.

Really - we should be looking at Dortmund / Red Bill type setups and pulling the odd bigger one out of the bag every now and then.

The major difference being we would have more chance of holding on to players because our revenue allows us to pay top wages.

Then we rely on Klopp & his coaches getting the team to over perform.

The bit that’s missing is hoovering up the young talent that German, Portuguese, French & even other English clubs are doing.

The thing that’s most fucked is our recruitment team.

That’s why I don’t buy these “… it’s only £10 million …” or “… they must put their hands in their pockets …” refrains.

We have to recognise we can’t pay the fees that Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. pay when they have a problem.

Honest question.

What kind of answers are you looking for?

Nobody is expecting us to spend PSG type sums (apart from perhaps certain individuals) that will completely distort the market.

Utd spend a lot. Chelsea spend. Newcastle will start spending. It hasn’t changed City’s strategy.

Are you presenting this question to try and suggest there is no point trying to compete? Or what? I genuinely don’t get it.

Honest question.

I think fans would pay less attention to what they do because they’d be excited for the season ahead with their own team, it only becomes a problem when we sit around twiddling our thumbs doing nothing while we have to watch them sign so and so.

What kind of answers are you looking for?

Nobody is expecting us to spend PSG type sums (apart from perhaps certain individuals) that will completely distort the market.

Utd spend a lot. Chelsea spend. Newcastle will start spending. It hasn’t changed City’s strategy.

Are you presenting this question to try and suggest there is no point trying to compete? Or what? I genuinely don’t get it.

I’m not suggesting not trying to compete at all - although I am possible suggesting it might be ultimately futile.

We need to be smarter than City.

I think City’s strategy will change, by the way, they’ll start spending more and flexing their financial muscle. Utd & Chelsea spend, but it’s incoherent - there’s no real plan there, just shiny new baubles to hang on their tree.

Newcastle are where City where 10 years ago.

City, right now could drop £200m on Gvardiol, Rice & Kovacic and probably still post a lower net spend over the last 3 seasons than us.

I’m presenting the question more as a way of looking at how we could compete and what do we need to do or could do to effectively compete with an entity that could effectively do what they want.

I expect once FFP is effectively killed when the FA fail to hold them to account - all bets are off.

I think fans would pay less attention to what they do because they’d be excited for the season ahead with their own team, it only becomes a problem when we sit around twiddling our thumbs doing nothing while we have to watch them sign so and so.

Well it’s not as if we’re doing nothing.

We’re currently the second highest spender of the window behind Chelsea.

Obviously that’ll change.

Honest question.

Your argument does not make any sense, we invest, and they invest has been the case for as long as football has been around and the competition to get players will always exist. Also Man City are the worse example you could possibly use, putting aside what they did a few years ago to boost their squad where they bought 3 to 4 players at £50 each. If you look recently - and even in the past ... who have they ever bought that would make you think that they have bought a worldy ? - hardly anyone in my opinion. Ikanji, Ake ? - when they bought Ake - all I could remember was Salah putting goal after goal past him against Bournemouth. Both Klopp and PepG have one thing in common - they buy players that can fit their system and what they want, and the qualities they look for - especially Klopp does not dictate they need to buy a world class player. I prefer this model where we buy a few at £35M rather than go spunking on £60M well known players, who I think are a massive risk. The only player in world football who I could think of right now and expect to fit into any team and do his thing is Mbappe. That guy Newcastle have just supposedly signed from AC Milan - I heard he started crying when he was told he was going to be sold, lets see how he turns out at £60M.

Incidentally - I was and never been on the Harland train, I think he is a shit footballer - and if he was in any other team that is unable to create chances on a regular basis in the final third close to the goal, he would probably not get more than 15 goals a season. I don't even think he is the type of player Real Madrid or Barca would want - just lacks style. Yes I knw blah blah he has scored 50+ goals for City, but maybe its the only team in the world he can do that for because of the number of goalmouth chances they create.

I really could not give a shit what other teams are buying - we just need to buy the right type of player that will help us be competitive for the title, and that is what the outlook of everyone should be that supports LFC. I had to be reminded of that this season, I got really scared before the Man U game at home when I considered their midfield against our lot, but who would have known we would win 7-0 ? can't worry about United spending 100M on Anthony, and City spending 100M on Grealish. What we should not be doing is hoping that young teenagers like Elliot, and Carvalho who are not fully physically developed and cost less than a combined 15M will do the trick for us in the future. If we buy for the future we need to ensure that they are at least physically developed and spend like 20M to 25M.

Last edited:
Observation...
After flicking through the sports pages this morning; It seems to me that we (LFC) seems to identify the top targets for other teams to come and snap them up.

Well that's how it seem

Observation...
After flicking through the sports pages this morning; It seems to me that we (LFC) seems to identify the top targets for other teams to come and snap them up.

Well that's how it seem

No clue if it's marketing or not. Early doors we release info we're after such and such, supposedly negotiate, only to drag our heels until someone else pops up with a better offer. Then we can go "how can we compete with these figures".

Half felt like Fekir the other year we were waiting for another team to bid...then they didn't so we pulled out the deal ourselves, citing "knee issues"

Last edited:
It’s all about Klopp. He’s a once in a generation manager and if we don’t back him before he goes in two season’s time, that’s an enormous opportunity missed. Invest as much as we can now or fall way way way behind.

How many other managers out there do we think. An come in and do what he does on the budget he has?

It’s all about Klopp. He’s a once in a generation manager and if we don’t back him before he goes in two season’s time, that’s an enormous opportunity missed. Invest as much as we can now or fall way way way behind.

How many other managers out there do we think. An come in and do what he does on the budget he has?
None really. Heard on Radio that the Brighton manager initally wanted to bring in his own recruitment people but realized very quickly that what Brighton had already was better than the people he was gonna bring in.

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with these owners, year after year for 12 years of the same crap.

They hit the jackpot with Klopp, let's be honest whilst they've sat back and rested on his laurels.

We'll inevitably fall behind when Klopp leaves, so FSG are just sparing us the pain in 2 years by allowing it to happen now. I'm OK with that

Some are crying about Salah just turning 31, and then you see Real resigning Modric with a new contract at 37 years old after playing 52 games for them last season.

Some are crying about Salah just turning 31, and then you see Real resigning Modric with a new contract at 37 years old after playing 52 games for them last season.

Real has signed Tchouameni and Bellingham to take over when Modric eventually moves on. We have Ben Doak and maybe Harvey Elliott.

Real has won the Champions League several times in the last decade along with La Liga.

Not the same thing.

Real has signed Tchouameni and Bellingham to take over when Modric eventually moves on. We have Ben Doak and maybe Harvey Elliott.

Real has won the Champions League several times in the last decade along with La Liga.

Not the same thing.

This isnt about transfer planning. But, Tchouameni wasnt signed to replace Modric. You can make a case for Bellingham but Salah isnt 38 either. We dont know yet how we have planned to move on from Salah given he just turned 31.

The point is that most people shouldnt be allergic to keep some players into their 30s. Kroos also signed a new contract, btw.

This isnt about transfer planning. But, Tchouameni wasnt signed to replace Modric. You can make a case for Bellingham but Salah isnt 38 either. We dont know yet how we have planned to move on from Salah given he just turned 31.

The point is that most people shouldnt be allergic to keep some players into their 30s. Kroos also signed a new contract, btw.

Equally, modric and Salah are hugely different players in widely different roles. For the most part, modric move less than the other mids and also has fullbacks providing passing lanes. He's effectively there to pass and create. Salah is still expected to burst with lightning pace and use trickery.

No one thinks Salah is a lame dog and needs putting down. We just know it's not the longest time left so the lack of forward planning is a concern. Unless it's doak, then give the cunt minutes

Equally, modric and Salah are hugely different players in widely different roles. For the most part, modric move less than the other mids and also has fullbacks providing passing lanes. He's effectively there to pass and create. Salah is still expected to burst with lightning pace and use trickery.

No one thinks Salah is a lame dog and needs putting down. We just know it's not the longest time left so the lack of forward planning is a concern. Unless it's doak, then give the cunt minutes

Thats not true though. Modric covered the same amount ground as the likes of Kroos, Salah, Henderson on average per game last season.
Different roles or not, the point still stands. With the evolution of sporting science players can stay fit and prolong their career in a totally different way.'
Playing in to your 30s isnt the same as it used to be, and Salah is probably one of the fittest footballers out there.

Forward planning is a different matter and were we definitely need to improve.

Playing in to your 30s isnt the same as it used to be, and Salah is probably one of the fittest footballers out there.

Agreed, he looks like he has years at the top level left. He appears to be a model of conditioning and sports professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom