• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah is not the player you remember anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomasjj

Well-Known
Unpopular opinion I guess, but I have seen enough now to be sure it is time to sell.

If we want to get a decent wedge for Salah before his value declines properly, this is the summer to sell him to PSG or somewhere else.

Otherwise, we will be repeating the mistake we have done with several players lately, keeping them on until they cannot be sold as their wind phat contracts down.

He is not the player you remember anymore, so leave the sentiment at the door.

Really? After the season he’s just had amongst a squad that have been poor for most of it?

Who’s going to replace his guaranteed goals, assists and work rate? Certainly nobody we currently have.

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I have seen enough now to be sure it is time to sell.

If we want to get a decent wedge for Salah before his value declines properly, this is the summer to sell him to PSG or somewhere else.

Otherwise, we will be repeating the mistake we have done with several players lately, keeping them on until they cannot be sold as their wind phat contracts down.

He is not the player you remember anymore, so leave the sentiment at the door.

This is exactly the kind of decision a bold, streetsmart club like the Liverpool of 2016-2019 would make. But I have zero confidence in the current bunch to replace Salah. We would probably sell Salah, then spend the summer chasing Vinicius or someone being chased by Madrid, Chelsea, and Bayern. This will end with a Klopp press conference in August on how much he is impressed by Harvey Elliott in training.

The problem with selling him is that we needed at least one of Diaz, Nunez and Jota to become a world class forward this season, but none came close for various reasons. Gakpo was the response to this, but I even with him added to the selection it's still underwhelming, not to mention the injury concerns.

Sell Salah and we have to find a 30 goal striker from somewhere that plays every game. Or pray for Nunez to get bitten by a radioactive football.

If we try to find someone proven there is still no guarantee they'll be any good, and they will likely cost more than Mo goes for. In a season where we already need 3 midfielders, I'm not sure we can afford it.

Salah won’t be sold so it’s pointless considering it but I don’t know who would offer us enough to make it worthwhile anyways.

PSG have FFP issues, no? And not convinced they’d want him either.

Then aside, who else is there?

Salah won’t be sold so it’s pointless considering it but I don’t know who would offer us enough to make it worthwhile anyways.

Exactly. No one else except PSG and Madrid have the money we’d want and the wages he’s on.

Salah's going nowhere. His output for us is irreplaceable. And no-one going to pay anything useful for him. Get over it.

We aren't going to sign a striker. Diaz - Jota - Salah with Gakpo and Nunez hanging around. That'll be our forwards next year.

Salah just like Gini Can Origi Lallana Clyne Studge and now Bobby Ox Naby and Milner will end up leaving for nothing, as will Matip Thiago next season as will Fabinho Hendo the season after. Robbo will also leave on a free in a few years, hard to see where our next bug money sale to fund new players will come. Maybe Jota? Maybe Ali?

We aren't going to sign a strike
Or a defender, and probably not a midfielder either if FSG had their way.

Klopp will probably have to get on his hands and knees for us just to get our 17th choice midfielder, Asensio on a free.

Gini - wanted to go
Can - shit, wanted to go
Origi - cult hero but couldn't really get a game
Lallana - good player, past it
Clyne - whatever
Studge - whatever
Bobby - didn't want to stay, leaves with all the best will the world
Ox - whatever
Naby - fuck off
Milner - leaves with all the best will in the world

Matip Thiago - whatever
Fabinho Hendo Robbo - great players, no money in this though

So what's your point?

Don’t give a fuck about the reasons, there was a time all of them could’ve been moved on and money brought into the club, we’re falling into the same trap and it’s doing the club harm.

Sakho Ibe Ings Benteke Solanke - whatever, who fucking cares….still got 100m back from them though didn’t we?

Wasted your time with that post.

Not sure it’s even that unpopular an opinion. He has probably already started to mirror late stage Mane in that the pace has gone to beat a fullback and he’s just not as dangerous on the break anymore. But the stats are still good.

Do you really trust the club to adequately replace him right now though? I don’t. Darwin doing the opposite of hitting the ground running has tanked the extremely minute chance of him going, that along with mass injuries.

Salah just like Gini Can Origi Lallana Clyne Studge and now Bobby Ox Naby and Milner will end up leaving for nothing, as will Matip Thiago next season as will Fabinho Hendo the season after. Robbo will also leave on a free in a few years, hard to see where our next bug money sale to fund new players will come. Maybe Jota? Maybe Ali?

Nunez - it we sell him before his value diminishes too much.

Its gonna be long summer with yet another Salah thread.
In my opinion it doesnt make sense until next summer to consider selling him. This year its the midfield and a CB. Then we have a year to follow the the group of players that can replace him and make our move early.
Salah will generate more than enough interest next summer.

Its not about being streetsmart this summer its about not having to many changes at once. Salah also have been available for 97% of the games played in his Liverpool career. We need that.

Unpopular opinion, he’ll yet again score 20 league goals next season.

The fact he’s been this adaptable to continue with outrageous numbers even with his game changing shows how incredible he is.

Last outfield player I would consider selling.

The obsession with selling Salah on here, even after 6yrs he’s still got it all to proove and all to do despite winning everything possible. Only thing left to do is win the Europa and shove it in the non believers face next season.
Go Mo, one more to go Mo..

The problem with selling him is that we needed at least one of Diaz, Nunez and Jota to become a world class forward this season, but none came close for various reasons. Gakpo was the response to this, but I even with him added to the selection it's still underwhelming, not to mention the injury concerns.

Sell Salah and we have to find a 30 goal striker from somewhere that plays every game. Or pray for Nunez to get bitten by a radioactive football.

If we try to find someone proven there is still no guarantee they'll be any good, and they will likely cost more than Mo goes for. In a season where we already need 3 midfielders, I'm not sure we can afford it.

Yes, this is the pickle.
Regardless of now being the time to sell him in my opinion, on the basis of his value/age, we have many fires to put out in the squad to to mismanagement.
Replacing Salah at the same time could be too much, or, that money could help us in the rebuild?

We have replaced a 30 goal striker several times before. Typically, it is covered by other attackers, and the replacement. But as you say, there are no guarantees, and there will never be, regardless.

Yes, there aren't many suitors now that he has such high wages and a new contract.

In my opinion it doesnt make sense until next summer to consider selling him. This year its the midfield and a CB. Then we have a year to follow the the group of players that can replace him and make our move early. .

Yes, I acknowledge this in the context of the whole rebuilding process, brick by brick. But he is declining, and thus, now would be the time as I see it.
I am not sure we will have suitors next summer, unless the Saudi league is still pumping cash to old stars.

Yes, I acknowledge this in the context of the whole rebuilding process, brick by brick. But he is declining, and thus, now would be the time as I see it.
I am not sure we will have suitors next summer, unless the Saudi league is still pumping cash to old stars.

Chelsea are in market for a striker and have the intent and money. Bayern do too but not sure they would want to get involved after Saudi.
You keep saying declining but the question is how much? Offset that thought with us selling him in Summer, that probably nets us 70-80m so that will most likely mean we signer a possible younger replacement but we would still be at the same point regarding funding a team rebuild. Feels like a zero sum game.

He'll have suiters next summer, no doubt. And his decline is exaggerated. 50 games and 30 goals this season.
A new balanced midfield and a more settled attack next season will see him back to his best.

Ground hogday discussion.

If Nunez had come in and demonstrated being anything close to a world class striker then changing systems and selling Salah may make sense. But he hasn't. Salah remains our most productive, available and resilient attacking player. It seems wild that gets so easily dismissed time and time again.

Sent from my 2201117TY using Tapatalk

Chelsea are in market for a striker and have the intent and money. Bayern do too but not sure they would want to get involved after Saudi.
You keep saying declining but the question is how much? Offset that thought with us selling him in Summer, that probably nets us 70-80m so that will most likely mean we signer a possible younger replacement but we would still be at the same point regarding funding a team rebuild. Feels like a zero sum game.

Yes, it might feel like zero sum game, but the replacement will be much younger, with the best years ahead of him.

I say declining, on the basis of what I see on the pitch. To his credit, he has changed his role a bit, being more of a provider and inside the box poacher, less now the dazzling winger and counter attacking threat.

Yes, it might feel like zero sum game, but the replacement will be much younger, with the best years ahead of him.

I say declining, on the basis of what I see on the pitch. To his credit, he has changed his role a bit, being more of a provider and inside the box poacher, less now the dazzling winger and counter attacking threat.

But then feels rather sake of making change doesn’t it? We don’t have that luxury.

We could just enjoy Mo for what he was and what he is with us now.

We have 2 new strikers under 25, whom jury is still ouy and now just getting someone younger for the sake of it doesn’t seem to be sensible for that reason alone.
Anyway, just my view.

But then feels rather sake of making change doesn’t it? We don’t have that luxury.

We could just enjoy Mo for what he was and what he is with us now.

We have 2 new strikers under 25, whom jury is still ouy and now just getting someone younger for the sake of it doesn’t seem to be sensible for that reason alone.
Anyway, just my view.

Fair enough.
The other fires to put out argument is certainly valid.
My point is that he is an asset over his prime and one I think we should recoup money before it is too late, and reinvest.
We have done this multiple times before, and as we are not state sponsored, I think we have to keep doing it this way, either we like it or not.

Gakpo finishing the season with 7 goals in 21 games since January is quite alright I reckon. Will be interesting to follow his development this summer and next season with a full pre season behind him and a balanced midfield supporting the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom