• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah is not the player you remember anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gakpo has done very well in half a season. Nunez is the real problem. No idea how that will pan out and not least where he fits in.

I do like both but feel like we need a guy who gets a lot goals still to take the pressue of them and give them a chance to grow.

Nunez scored 15 goals and 4 assists in all coemptions and played 2365 minutes so he has an involvement every 124 minutes. That is not bad for your 1st season.

He has big potential ... but I'm concerned about the 'intelligence' aspect of the game ... but if we can somehow speed up Curtis' game play, maybe there's hope for Darwin too.

Nunez scored 15 goals and 4 assists in all coemptions and played 2365 minutes so he has an involvement every 124 minutes. That is not bad for your 1st season.

Yes, the talent is there. I am more worried about where he is meant to fit into the set up.
With Gakpo, we do the old false nine in the centre, so where does that leave Nunez? A tactical tool only, not in the starting eleven?

Yeah but because he cost 80m unless he scored at least 50 goals like Haaland did then he’s automatically flopped and should be sold immediately. Love some of the kneejerk nonsense that floats about in some fans’ heads.

Yes, this is the pickle.
Regardless of now being the time to sell him in my opinion, on the basis of his value/age, we have many fires to put out in the squad to to mismanagement.
Replacing Salah at the same time could be too much, or, that money could help us in the rebuild?

We have replaced a 30 goal striker several times before. Typically, it is covered by other attackers, and the replacement. But as you say, there are no guarantees, and there will never be, regardless.

Have we? We replaced Torres with Carroll and Suarez with Balotelli, Mane with Nunez. That's all we've had since Fowler I think. I don't think we've ever replaced a 20 goal a season striker, quickly anyway.

Have we? We replaced Torres with Carroll and Suarez with Balotelli, Mane with Nunez. That's all we've had since Fowler I think. I don't think we've ever replaced a 20 goal a season striker, quickly anyway.

As you say, we also have a wonderful record of messing it up if we force it and try to get a replacement in quickly, as with Carroll etc.
But when we got Torres, Suarez and Mane, they also replaced someone in a sense. Actually, when we got those three, it set us up for three good periods for LFC.

Tbf Gakpo came in Jan. Diaz and Diogo were both out for over half the season too. Of course that’s not to say they’d get near to Mo’s figures, they wouldn’t, but lets add some context to it.

I'm really not seeing what others are seeing in Nunez. Yes, nice lad, and all that but still reminds me of Portuguese Emil Heskey, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I'm really confused by Klopp. We had one of the most intelligent and hardworking forward lines in Mane, Firmino and Salah. Nunez and Gakpo feel like a massive drop down. But not just in quality but also stylistically it just seems strange. Maybe with an actual midfield behind the strikers next season we will look different but until then I'm on the fence.

Tbf Gakpo came in Jan. Diaz and Diogo were both out for over half the season too. Of course that’s not to say they’d get near to Mo’s figures, they wouldn’t, but lets add some context to it.
Course not. It says a lot for the value of having players who stay fit for the entire season. Only Mo.

Yeah but because he cost 80m unless he scored at least 50 goals like Haaland did then he’s automatically flopped and should be sold immediately. Love some of the kneejerk nonsense that floats about in some fans’ heads.

Equally - how many expensive signings have come in, not settled quickly, looked like they weren’t quite as good as expected, didn’t manage to hold down a regular starting position and then went on to turn that round and become a key player.

Not many is the answer - and even fewer of them forwards.

Big year for him - lots to prove - hope he does, but if not - we should fuck him off next summer for whatever we can get for him.

£35m for all that, what a signing.
Loyalty from both sides has been there from the off and still it seems remains.

If the Saud's came in for £100m+ I'd still sell him. I was wrong to think FSG would release funds for a rebuild, based on reports and we need to sell someone to get those funds.

Firstly what actually made you think FSG could/would fund a rebuild without sales when that's what they've lived off every year for the past 12 years? Out of curiosity.

Secondly say we get 350k a week Mo off the books and Al Whoever come in with a 100m bid, how do we go about reinvesting into being better off for it, if we do indeed come off better for it?

Does 30m on Chiesa, 35m on Veiga & 35m on Ignacio improve us....

If we don't sell and he leaves on a free along with Virgil, we'll be sat here in 2 years thinking who next could we sell for big money to fund the next rebuild.

Yep, as much as I love the guy, I cannot help but want PSG or the Saudis to come in with mega money before the end of his contract.
It's goes without saying that uncovering another Mo Salah is far from straight forward.

This is the stinky part of modern football, we’re wishing away our top scorer because he’s slowing down and the only way we have the slightest chance of replacing him adequately is to flog him now.

Sad but true, I’d also cash in. Hopefully we’ve learned how valuable availability is though, that’s going to be tough to replace.

Firstly what actually made you think FSG could/would fund a rebuild without sales when that's what they've lived off every year for the past 12 years? Out of curiosity.
Well we were led to believe there would be a war chest... we were saving up on Bellers etc...

Secondly say we get 350k a week Mo off the books and Al Whoever come in with a 100m bid, how do we go about reinvesting into being better off for it, if we do indeed come off better for it?

Does 30m on Chiesa, 35m on Veiga & 35m on Ignacio improve us....

Chiesa will cost £60m, do you want to take the risk of signing a injury prone Italian and none have worked out at Liverpool before? The others I would take (Viega, Kone, and Ignacio). I'd also take Gift Orban, Alex Scott and the Turkish kid and loan them 2 of them out. Finally switch to two upfront.
If we don't sell and he leaves on a free along with Virgil, we'll be sat here in 2 years thinking who next could we sell for big money to fund the next rebuild.

I didn't want Mo after he (a) opted for Chelsea before and (b) didn't do well there. Chuffed to monkeys I was so spectacularly wrong about him.

Every player has his price and he's now on something of a downward slope, but I'd still demand a fair old fee for him. Willing to sell, not willing to do so at cut price.

On no planet does Chiesa go for 60m lol.
Whether he goes or not, that's now what they're asking for appaz.
[article]
According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Chiesa is not short of suitors and Liverpool are one of the frontrunners to sign the winger this summer.
The report claims that Liverpool are weighing up a €40m (£34.4m) offer, but Juve are holding out for a €60m (£51.5m) fee.
[/article]

This is the stinky part of modern football, we’re wishing away our top scorer because he’s slowing down and the only way we have the slightest chance of replacing him adequately is to flog him now.

Sad but true, I’d also cash in. Hopefully we’ve learned how valuable availability is though, that’s going to be tough to replace.
I'd let him retire here but only if that means that if he's playing bad we have someone else that's better who we can play instead. Let him chase all the records

What other records is his chasing exactly?

He's already scored the fastest hat-trick in CL history.
Before Haaland he broke the goalscoring record in the Prem in a debut season.
He's broken the record for fastest player to reach 100 goals for Liverpool
He's overtaken Stevie and entered the top 5 all time goalscorers for Liverpool
He's now our record goalscorer in the CL
He's the first player to have scored in 10 consecutive games for us.

What else is there to do lol.

Yea honestly this is a great time for Mo to go. He’s never outscoring Haaland, there’s no champions league and the Saudis will absolutely lash the cash at him right now. I’m kind of worried this will all register with him late in the window or once someone winks at his agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom